Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Revolucion
Nov 2, 2004
Removed.

Revolucion fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Nov 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I'd love this even more if you cloned out all of the buildings outside the downtown cluster and then blew it up huge to hang on my wall.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Toronto yes. It was taken from Grimsby, across the lake.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Fog by francography, on Flickr

The Arrows Will Lead You by francography, on Flickr

Sun Down by francography, on Flickr

Here's some others.

Alone by francography, on Flickr

IMG_6921 by francography, on Flickr

IMG_4190 by francography, on Flickr

somnambulist fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jan 16, 2013

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Gentle by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

This is my new wallpaper. I really like this photo.

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jan 16, 2013

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

So badass. Wallpapered.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
I rented a 12-24 and shot this panorama right before the camera's battery died (if you see the exif, the camera's clock died too). It was -15F on the mountain, I was back at home when the cameras started working again. Don't get me started on the wind chill, I almost got frostbite just trying to take this photo. Such a waste of a rental opportunity :(

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

malibu pier by francography, on Flickr

Not really that happy with this one, but whateva. I found someone selling Big Stoppers, so im going to have a ton of fun doing long exposures. It should be here later this week.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

somnambulist posted:

Not really that happy with this one, but whateva. I found someone selling Big Stoppers, so im going to have a ton of fun doing long exposures. It should be here later this week.

Love the color and tone in this one :)

Here's some more landscapes taken from my recent travels:

DSC_1757 by chazaraz, on Flickr

DSC_3972 by chazaraz, on Flickr

Should I bother trying to clone stamp out those power lines?

macx
Feb 3, 2005

1st AD posted:

Should I bother trying to clone stamp out those power lines?

Yes. They are quite distracting.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I think I’ve stood on that same bridge. The photo would certainly be improved by the elimination of the powerlines, but good luck with the clone tool. I’m terrible with it for areas that large.

I would have cheated and taken another shot from a slightly higher/lower position immediately afterwards. Parallax would move the power lines but have negligible effect on the clouds and mountain. If you handheld, throw them into PTgui/something similar to align them and correct for tilt. Then it’s a simple matter of layering them and masking the powerlines to let the line‐free background show through.

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."
Content-aware fill--if you have Photoshop CS5 or 6--will clear those out very easily.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

scottch posted:

Content-aware fill--if you have Photoshop CS5 or 6--will clear those out very easily.

That’s what it’s supposed to do, but I’ve been underwhelmed with it in CS5. It made for great tech demos and sometimes works well enough for thumbnails, but it’s not good enough for prints. Maybe it’s not supposed to be and I should suck it up and use it as a starting point for a clone brush job. Maybe it got better in CS6.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I'll try the content-aware fill, but I've always had issues with using it in the past. Time for a tutorial I guess.

Also, there's no way I could be any lower on that bridge. I poked the lens through the bottom of the guard rail, the only other thing I could have done was to shoot in a section where the rail was out, but I'd rather have to deal with clonestamping poo poo out in post than possibly getting hit by a car and then falling into the crocodile-infested waters below.

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!

The View from the Shard. by Clwn, on Flickr

View from the Shard. by Clwn, on Flickr

doodle_duck_dandy
Sep 20, 2006
A few questions..
Do they let you take a tripod up there?
Any complaints about the DSLR and "big lenses"?
How long do you get?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Expired Fuji 100 35mm stuff.

img002.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Druckman
Apr 9, 2007

Prince Behind Glass

Just wanted to let you know that this shot rocks my world. The texture in the bottom and the fog would be good enough. But you took it to the next level by including the drops of water on the glass in the top half. It's almost like I'm looking at a picture with two different "magnifications". The normal view is the fog in the background, and simultaneously we zoom in on the water droplets that make up the fog. I hope I managed to express that is a way that makes sense.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
:swoon: That contrast.

somnambulist posted:

For the time being you can always cheat: Just take a bunch of 30 second exposures and then average them in photoshop.

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!

doodle_duck_dandy posted:

A few questions..
Do they let you take a tripod up there?
Any complaints about the DSLR and "big lenses"?
How long do you get?
No tripods allowed unfortunately. There's nowhere to rest a beanbag either so I'm not entirely sure how I will take a sunset/night picture from up there. There were no complaints about my DSLR and my 135L which is my biggest lens. They put it through the x-ray machine without batting an eyelid. I went in with a free preview ticket and they put a start time on it. However, there isn't an end time and they said I could stay there as long as I wanted to. There isn't much to do there though. You can do a loop of the viewing platform and play with the digital telescopes, and you can go up to the open air bit in case you're feeling warm and need a bit of fresh air. There was no restaurant, no tour guides to point out landmarks, no information about the building. I'm not sure what I was expecting but if I paid £25, I'd want more for my money.

Druckman posted:

Just wanted to let you know that this shot rocks my world. The texture in the bottom and the fog would be good enough. But you took it to the next level by including the drops of water on the glass in the top half. It's almost like I'm looking at a picture with two different "magnifications". The normal view is the fog in the background, and simultaneously we zoom in on the water droplets that make up the fog. I hope I managed to express that is a way that makes sense.
Haha, thank you. I didn't have a choice, this one was taken with my phone :)

These look so much better in black and white. Imagine I didn't have the reflections there! Is that what I need a polarising filter for?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Clown posted:

No tripods allowed unfortunately. There's nowhere to rest a beanbag either so I'm not entirely sure how I will take a sunset/night picture from up there.

If the windows are floor‐to‐ceiling, you could put a beanbag on the floor if it’s not too crowded and glass isn’t too scuffed at floor level.

Clown posted:

These look so much better in black and white. Imagine I didn't have the reflections there! Is that what I need a polarising filter for?

A polarising filter would help a little, but to truly get rid of reflections you need to block the light from hitting the glass. A lot of people use a rubber lens hood for this. If you have a friend one of you can hold a jacket around the front of the lens. Someone posted about using this overpriced thing in here or the long exposure thread a while ago. It looks silly but works better than a lens hood. I’ve been meaning to get around to sewing my own to save 5×:10bux:.

macx
Feb 3, 2005

Clown posted:

No tripods allowed unfortunately. There's nowhere to rest a beanbag either so I'm not entirely sure how I will take a sunset/night picture from up there.

I wonder if you could get away with a monopod that you "use" as a "walking cane".

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

20130117-012-web by 8th-samurai, on Flickr

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You should totally clone out those power lines. :v:

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

Where is this?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

Whitezombi posted:

Where is this?

Everett Washington, just off I5 on the south side.

Khelmar
Oct 12, 2003

Things fix me.

macx posted:

I wonder if you could get away with a monopod that you "use" as a "walking cane".

http://www.trek-tech.com/products/trekpods.html

I use this thing when hiking all the time - I don't know if they'd let it up there, but it might be worth a shot. Anyone else there with walking sticks?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

img106-311 by spf3million, on Flickr

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

2013-16 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

2013-17 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

2013-18 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

I don't know if I like the colour one.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
The color one is the best one.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

DSC_3982edit by chazaraz, on Flickr

There were only 2 lines and I was able to use the content-aware fill here. The earlier photo didn't end up working out so well, but now I like this one better anyways :colbert:

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

8th-samurai posted:

The color one is the best one.

After a day of not looking at it I agree.

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

Kujaroth
Jul 26, 2006
I've just come back from New Zealand, some great stuff to shoot there. Here's a few from my trip:

Revolucion
Nov 2, 2004
Removed.

Revolucion fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Nov 29, 2020

jm3000
Jan 19, 2004

Pancake Dance Party
Nap Ghost

Yosemite.nef by jkm3000, on Flickr

Merced River by jkm3000, on Flickr

Yosemite Falls by jkm3000, on Flickr

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I love snowstorms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brandino
Apr 15, 2002

Kujaroth posted:

I've just come back from New Zealand, some great stuff to shoot there. Here's a few from my trip:

Hell yeah, well done dude.