Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

TurnipFritter posted:

I wouldn't call it "interesting" but it shouldn't actively work against your enjoyment of the game like P1's battle system. Here's a video of the tutorial dungeon so you can sort of get an idea of what it's like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUD-0ljHsec

Ah ok, it looks Dragon Quest/Mother style battle system. I will take an archaic first-person style like that over an archaic tactical system any day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Does anyone happen to have that image collage of all the silly stuff you can say as the protag in DeSu2?

It was back some pages.

Dr Pepper posted:

Please let the silly options be chosen every time.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So, I'm playing Persona 2 now that I've beaten P4G. Am I overthinking things or does anyone else think that with with Adachi (P4 spoilers) using the Jester as his SLink arcana is a clever dog whistle for the Persona 2 Jester. Perhaps to subtly tell people who've played the previous games that he's not a good guy. Even if they were just going for an alternate/reversed take on The Fool as an arcana in order to represent the reverse fool, they could of called his arcana the beggar, the madman (perhaps too telling), the joker, ect.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
In P3P, are you screwed for max links if you hit December with a dorm (in this case, Lovers) link one date from being maxed?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Mailer posted:

In P3P, are you screwed for max links if you hit December with a dorm (in this case, Lovers) link one date from being maxed?

I maxed Empress on the last day of the game, so no.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So how should I be statting Tatsuya in Innocent Sin? Should I roll as a generalist and just use individual persona as my stat kick, or is there a better specific way to stat out my character?

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW

DeathSandwich posted:

So how should I be statting Tatsuya in Innocent Sin? Should I roll as a generalist and just use individual persona as my stat kick, or is there a better specific way to stat out my character?

Max DEX. When that's done, max VIT. Occasionally put a few points into agility with Persona bonuses.
There, now Tatsuya can nearly steamroll 70% of the game.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Mailer posted:

You have until January 31st to take care of business.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMRGNwMMFro

Someone is making a game specifically for me. :allears:

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

ImpAtom posted:

Oh my god. :aaaaa:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Goddamn it Nintendo, I told myself I wasn't going to buy a Wii U. :negative: But the fact that this exists and they showcase the Demifiend in the trailer basically means I'm getting this no matter what.

Nintendo do a bundle for this like you did for the 3DS and Awakening, tia.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

If it features Roy running around a ruined Tokyo with Jack Frost it will officially be the best game ever.

...gently caress, now I have to buy a WiiU.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

The important thing to take from this is that Demi-Fiend is obviously going to be in the new Smash Bros now. Obviously.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ImpAtom posted:

Oh god I have to get a Wii U now.

Wait...I'll wait for at least DDS or Persona protag to show up. No Seraph No Buy.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Yay! A third reason to get a WiiU! That's two more than the Vita had!

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem :shepface:
Who coulda seen this coming?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Never played the FE games but that still looks interesting.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Len posted:

Yay! A third reason to get a WiiU! That's two more than the Vita had!

You'll probably have alot more than three when you check out what else they announced.

Pooptimus Prime
Jun 12, 2005

Need I remind you!? The foolish receive no mercy...
I've never touched the FE series, but I feel obligated to look into them now. Marketing success!

What would be the game to start with?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pooptimus Prime posted:

I've never touched the FE series, but I feel obligated to look into them now. Marketing success!

Fire Emblem Awakening comes out on the 4th for the 3DS and is a fantastic first game.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Pooptimus Prime posted:

Awakening would be great. 7 (released outside Japan as just Fire Emblem) is also a fantastic starting point.

Pooptimus Prime
Jun 12, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Fire Emblem Awakening comes out on the 4th for the 3DS and is a fantastic first game.

That's convenient, since I still need to buy a 3DS for Soul Hackers anyhow.

I feel like such a consumer pawn right now, but... at least I'm aware of it...?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pooptimus Prime posted:

Three good starting points:

Awakening comes out in like two weeks for the 3DS. As the newest game, it's obviously got the most streamlined gameplay and such, and looks the nicest. It has references to past games but it's standalone, plot-wise. The DLC is all characters from past games, but hey, that's DLC.

FE8 (Sacred Stones) for the GBA is pretty easy and is standalone plot-wise.

FE7 (just Fire Emblem here) for the GBA is a bit harder, but it's still not super-hard (at least on normal) and, while not standalone plot-wise, it's a prequel to FE6. There are a couple of things that go nowhere if you have no plans to play the Japan-only games, but it works fine as a standalone story.

If you don't have a 3DS or anything that can play GBA games, FE9 (Path of Radiance) for gamecube is also a decent starting point. It leads into it's sequel, Radiant Dawn for the Wii, but it's again standalone plot-wise. It's also not that hard, though it can be tricky at times. Graphics are also kinda bad, since it's an early-ish gamecube game.

The only two US-released games that I'd recommend against starting with are 10 (Radiant Dawn for the Wii) and 11 (Shadow Dragon for DS.)

Radiant Dawn starts out balls-hard and, while it gets easier as the game goes on, it has some amazingly hard maps mid-way through the game. It's also a sequel to FE9, meaning if you haven't played that the game will just toss characters you have no idea about at you with no real explanation of who they are.

Shadow Dragon is hard, and... to be blunt, kind of primitive. It's a remake of an NES game, and it hasn't made TOO much of an attempt to bring it up to date. There are conveniences and some new mechanics added, but it's still, at its core, an NES game. It doesn't help that the game has some really dumb mechanics.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Can't they just sort of remove the Fire Emblem douchebags and cram in some more SMT characters and make Super Robot Wars or Smash Bros or something, but with SMT. drat it, Atlus.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dorroile posted:

Can't they just sort of remove the Fire Emblem douchebags and cram in some more SMT characters and make Super Robot Wars or Smash Bros or something, but with SMT. drat it, Atlus.

You can have my Social Knight when you pry him from my cold dead fingers.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I don't really have any interest in FE but hey, more MegaTen is nice. Will they even localize it, though?

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Nate RFB posted:

I don't really have any interest in FE but hey, more MegaTen is nice. Will they even localize it, though?

It was announced on an English broadcast, so probably.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MzG6lDA1A0

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
I always wondered how a Super Shin Megami Tensei Wars would work. At least by co-operating with the Fire Emblem developers the gameplay will be solid, right? All the fans seem really hyped for the new iteration on the 3DS.

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Nate RFB posted:

Funny how it took months of waiting to see FE:A be announced for localization, while this comes straight from the US Direct.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dorroile posted:

Can you do this but in reverse? Thanks.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Endorph posted:

Isn't that what Awakening's DLC is all about?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

ImpAtom posted:

HOLY poo poo :stare:

FE is the last series that I would hoped for a crossover with Megaten

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jan 23, 2013

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Brother Entropy posted:

Isn't that what Awakening's DLC is all about?
Yes, but there's only eleven characters and none of the DLC characters have dialogue.

Pooptimus Prime
Jun 12, 2005

Thanks, Endorph. I'll keep an eye out and see what I can get my hands on easily/cheaply.

Also, SMT x Tales Of, please.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

You can have my Demi-Fiend when you pry him from my cold dead fingers.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

ImpAtom posted:

You can have my Demi-Fiend when you pry him from my cold dead fingers.

Demi-Fiend face punchings plus Ike-Aetherings plus EVERYONE else?

Yeah, I share the sentiments.

Now who's gonna end up turning into a crazy law/chaos rear end in a top hat?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I have a feeling it'd be Micaiah if anything.

Think they'll let you do cross-series supports? I'd gladly have Hector and Demifiend bro it up if they presented the option.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
I wonder how much they'll combine the elements from both games. Just imagine permadeath combined with SMT's instant death spells :unsmigghh:

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
I started one of the GBA FE games and never completed it.

Guess I should go back now? (I am so confused by this news, but it sounds awesome; would it be like a more complicated Devil Survivor?)

edit; Also I like how Chiaki is the second person for Nocturne.

Cityinthesea fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jan 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Well gently caress me, guess I'm getting a Wii U.