Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

They lied! 30 cent Balloon Fight is not on the e-shop!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Here's my recap of the EU broadcast, I guess they were all the same?

-miiverse overview featuring Trine 2 ("do a sonic boom"), ZombiU and art exhibition. Green verification ticks on accounts for developers/PR people, etc; verified users can embed videos, post links, etc.

-Software/menu loading speeds will be addressed through two updates, one in spring and one in summer.

-Wii U VC launches after spring update; certain NES/SNES games will be available at launch (not the entire Wii VC catalogue). Individual games will feature save states, off-tv play and Miiverse communities. Prices are the same as they were on Wii VC; those who bought Wii VC version can re-buy for Wii U at a substantial discount. GBA games will appear on Wii U VC.

-Wii U VC Trial Campaign; selected games sold at 30c for 30 days. One a month until the official launch:

FEB: Balloon Fight
MAR: F-Zero
APR: Punch-Out
MAY: Kirby's Adventure
JUNE: Super Metroid
JULY: Mario & Yoshi
AUG: Donkey Kong Jr.

-Miiverse will be getting communities (a la Mario Kart 3DS), as well as improved usability/filtering features. Wii Fit U to be marquee community title.

-Browse Miiverse from smartphones "this spring". Initially browser-based, but an official app is coming. Will require NNID login.

-Lovefilm, TVii and other services coming to the rest of Europe "soon"

-Lego, Game % Wario, Wii Fit U, Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101 coming "After March"

-Wonderful 101 trailer

-Bayonetta 2 behind-the-scenes trailer

-Iwata Asks with Inaba/Minama from Platinum Games, coming "soon". Iwata Asks: Wonderful 101 with Kamiya coming closer to launch.

-Smash Bros 4 can't be revealed just yet, "please wait a little longer", will be at E3

-EAD Tokyo working on new 3D Mario game and Mario Kart; will be at E3

-New party game from the makers of Wii Party (nd Cube). Some minigames use lots of Wiimotes, some are Gamepad-only. Will show off different features to Nintendo Land/Game & Wario.

-New Yoshi game! 2D platformer, developed by Good-Feel (Kirby's Epic Yarn), Tezuka supervising. Yarn everywhere!

-Nintendo/Atlus collaboration: Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem! WTF

-Eiji Aonuma, Zelda Producer! New game "challenges the essence of Zelda"; linearity, dungeon order and hand-holding are specific facets mentioned. Can't show footage just yet.

-Wind Waker HD! In-progress footage! Will launch "this fall", before Zelda U. Updated graphics, off-tv play, Miiverse, "tuning up the overall gameplay experience".

-Trailer for Monolith Soft's Wii U game, looks like Xenoblade meets Monster Hunter, with mechs!

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jan 23, 2013

punchdaily
Nov 8, 2010

lelandjs posted:

Yeah... all this Direct did was make me realize that I probably won't be getting a WiiU until 2014 (when the new Zelda, 3D Mario, and maaaaybe Smash Brothers drop). Good to know they're officially on their way, though. :)

Well, 3D Mario is probably this year. Nintendo doesn't usually announce a Mario game until it's close to being finished. I'm also under the impression that Nintendo can make a Mario game in about 8 months at this point.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Is Yoshi really going to be Epic Yarn 2?
Epic Yarn was gorgeous, but if it's a series swappable concept I hope it doesn't have to carry over the ease and no death factors.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
So what's the overall list of games he mentioned today?

Wii Fit U (Uninspired)
Wii Party U (Uninspired)
Fire Emblem meets Devil Survivor game? (MORE TIME!)
Mario Game (MORE TIME!)
Yoshi's Epic Yarn (Uninspired. Leftover levels from Kirby's EY)
Pikmin 3 (Eh)
Wonderful 101 (Pikmin Superheroes)
Zelda Wind Waker (HD Remake. Eh)
Zelda Wii U (MORE TIME)
SSBU (MORE TIME! But we'll show screens at E3!)
A Wario Game of sorts?
Mario Kart Wii U (Uninspired)
Bayonetta 2 (MORE TIME!)
Whoops, forgot - Xenoblade meets Transformers/Monster Hunter (???)

I've... I've gotten old and cynical. No, just old

Andrew_1985 fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jan 23, 2013

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I can't even begin to imagine how SMT x Fire Emblem is going to work.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

FPzero posted:

Probably like Namco x Capcom except with more mythological figures.

Andrew_1985 posted:

I wouldn't say "uninspired" (though a lot of it definitely was) but more "expected continuation of their strong brand".

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GxUMMGyZcM

OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD :psypop:

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Andrew_1985 posted:

Wii Fit U (Uninspired)
Wii Party U (Uninspired)
Mario Game (MORE TIME!)
Pikmin 3 (Eh)
Zelda Wii U (MORE TIME)
A Wario Game of sorts?
Bayonetta 2 (MORE TIME!)

No you're definitely cynical too

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Holy poo poo, so many amazing games. Definitely gonna buy a WiiU this year.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Andrew_1985 posted:

Wii Fit U (Uninspired)
Wii Party U (Uninspired)
Mario Game (MORE TIME!)
Pikmin 3 (Eh)
Zelda Wii U (MORE TIME)
A Wario Game of sorts?
Bayonetta 2 (MORE TIME!)

All that matters is the Monoloith title and it's not even on your list. Pathetic list.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

FPzero posted:

It'll be an SRPG probably

WORLDS BEST BABY
Aug 26, 2006

The idea that the next Zelda game might not be single player only is a really exciting idea to me.

But yeah, Wind Waker HD, who can say no? Especially considering the "changes to gameplay" that probably means NO TRIFORCE HUNT!

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Andrew_1985 posted:

The Xeno series always had mechs players could use up until Xenoblade Chronicles. You shut your dirty mouth. The red X implies it likely takes place in the Xenogears universe, they never once used that red X outside of the first one.

Monode
Feb 19, 2011

oo
So when they say that they're improving the gaming experience in WindWaker HD does that mean they're taking out the Triforce piece hunting and putting back in the dungeons they had to cut? Because that would be amazing.

Triforce hunting was the only bad thing about that game (maybe the first Forsaken Fortress visit too).

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Wind Waker HD looks kinda bad, I mean why remove the distinct look of your game?

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Note the chatbox.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I don't actually think Monolithsoft's new game is going to be Xenoblade crossed with Monster Hunter. Given it's still in probably in early development, what we've probably seen is a test environment populated with creatures and the giant robot to demo them.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

Ooh, looks like multiplayer also. This is going to be nuts.

e: Also, I'm way too hyped for Yoshi's Epic Yarn

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

WORLDS BEST BABY posted:

The idea that the next Zelda game might not be single player only is a really exciting idea to me.

But yeah, Wind Waker HD, who can say no? Especially considering the "changes to gameplay" that probably means NO TRIFORCE HUNT!

I'll settle for not having to do that godawful menu dance to change which direction you want to go with the boat.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

-Eiji Aonuma, Zelda Producer! New game "challenges the essence of Zelda"; linearity, dungeon order and hand-holding are specific facets mentioned. Can't show footage just yet.

Haha, it really is like every single Zelda game is a direct response to the criticisms of the previous game.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

No Balloon Fight in the EU EShop. Is it up in NA?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Concerned about the new Zelda news. Maybe its all the Other M chat yesterday, but thats the last time I remember Nintendo trying to buck conventions on one of their iconic franchises.

Non-linear, could work great!
Non single player...I hope its local co-op, online gaming is hard for me.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Andrew_1985 posted:

Wii Fit U (Uninspired)
Wii Party U (Uninspired)
Mario Game (MORE TIME!)
Pikmin 3 (Eh)
Zelda Wii U (MORE TIME)
A Wario Game of sorts?
Bayonetta 2 (MORE TIME!)

grow up dude

Also, going back to the discussion about it before, The Wonderful 101 is nothing like Pikmin except for the fact it has a bunch of dudes on screen. It's very much an action game/beat em up, and a drat good one if the demo I played is indicative of the rest of the game's quality.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bombadilillo posted:

Concerned about the new Zelda news. Maybe its all the Other M chat yesterday, but thats the last time I remember Nintendo trying to buck conventions on one of their iconic franchises.

Non-linear, could work great!
Non single player...I hope its local co-op, online gaming is hard for me.

I'm expecting more along the lines of a second player can use a Wiimote to targetlock for the GamePad-user, myself. The non-linear thing is genuinely interesting though.

edit: VVVVVV

What would probably do the trick is a circle somewhere on the touchscreen to control the wind direction. Give it a setting to 'lock' it behind you, or adjust it manually, and it'd be perfect.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jan 23, 2013

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Random Stranger posted:

I'll settle for not having to do that godawful menu dance to change which direction you want to go with the boat.

Just a new spell introduced after forest haven that makes the wind always at your back while sailing, you still needing to change it manually for puzzles, would be great.

Replace triforce charts with triforce pieces, put in one of the incomplete dungeons in order to put it back together.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

That new Monolith game looks absolutely fantastic and if it's a Xenogears sequel or something than I'm even more excited.

Also, TW101 looks like Vanquish meets Bayonetta meets Pikmin and I am totally okay with that.

Balcony
Sep 8, 2005
Dear Deidre...
Out of all of those games The Wonderful 101 seems the most interesting. A lot of this direct was just to confirm stuff everyone expected like a new Mario Kart and Zelda. The monolithsoft game has the potential to be great, so it will be interesting to see what they do with it.

Honest Thief posted:

Wind Waker HD looks kinda bad, I mean why remove the distinct look of your game?

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought this. Wind Waker's art syle does not need a HD remake. Majora's Mask HD would have been better.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I was just replaying a part of the Direct that lagged out for me and after the SMT x FE video, Iwata mentioned that there are more of these collaborations in development and that he will let us know of more as time goes by. Considering I don't think anyone managed to predict Samurai Warriors X Pokemon nor this one, I can only imagine what else is in store down the road.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Yoshi Epic Yarn needs to really up the difficulty, or I won't touch it.

Yesssssssss.

-Wind Waker HD! In-progress footage! Will launch "this fall", before Zelda U. Updated graphics, off-tv play, Miiverse, "tuning up the overall gameplay experience".

Cool. They should do this for more GC/Wii games. But it cannot be priced over $20.

pocketbelt
Oct 9, 2012

HRAH
Oh holy gently caress, I wasn't expecting ANY of that. Looks like Nintendo took the criticisms about the Directs not announcing anything new extremely personally or something, most would've saved all of that for E3 or TGS.

And did I understand it right that Wind Waker HD's coming out later this year? They got that one out the door quick enough, I wouldn't think much has been changed overall aside from the graphics and menus. Still, it looks very nice.

Paper_Masochist
Oct 21, 2008
Nintendo has truly entered another golden era. I don't know what else to say. :unsmith:

Paper_Masochist fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jan 23, 2013

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Doesn't the Wii U technically have the hardware to run Gamecube games natively, even if the function's been removed on the user end? I bet that's part of why they chose Wind Waker to remake; they probably don't have to rebuild it from the ground up.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Revol posted:

Cool. They should do this for more GC/Wii games. But it cannot be priced over $20.

I don't know about other GC/Wii remakes in the future but if you really think Nintendo of all companies is going to release a full remake of a Zelda game and price it under $20 you're nuts.

It would be something though.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I hope they are serious about less linear Zelda, even if it was just the Majora's Mask style where you can take an item from a dungeon and skip ahead to a new area.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Supercar Gautier posted:

Doesn't the Wii U technically have the hardware to run Gamecube games natively, even if the function's been removed on the user end? I bet that's part of why they chose Wind Waker to remake; they probably don't have to rebuild it from the ground up.

That was the Wii (It's also why the Wii can play any gamecube game, while the earlier PS3's and Xbox360 have a list of compatible games - they use emulation). If the WiiU had it, they'd probably have stuck in backwards compatibility somehow.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

My favorite game ever is getting an HD remake oh my god I'm so excited somebody hold me

:toot:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

FPzero posted:

I was just replaying a part of the Direct that lagged out for me and after the SMT x FE video, Iwata mentioned that there are more of these collaborations in development and that he will let us know of more as time goes by. Considering I don't think anyone managed to predict Samurai Warriors X Pokemon nor this one, I can only imagine what else is in store down the road.

Don't forget the various Mario and Sonic games. Just because we don't like them doesn't mean that they weren't huge money makers for Nintendo and Sega. I think these crossover games are part of Nintendo's new found third-party outreach.

The Introvert posted:

And did I understand it right that Wind Waker HD's coming out later this year? They got that one out the door quick enough, I wouldn't think much has been changed overall aside from the graphics and menus. Still, it looks very nice.

I suspect that they looked around for something Zelda that they could have out for the Wii U this year and Windwaker was a safe choice.

Raizor
Apr 23, 2012

DIGITAL

Revol posted:

Used Wind Waker still costs more than that, new copies of it actually cost more than when it first came out at this point. I highly doubt it will be particularly economically priced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Random Stranger posted:

They lied! 30 cent Balloon Fight is not on the e-shop!

So are these TRIALS or are they just charging 30 cents for the game?

• Locked thread