Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That was the Wii. If the WiiU had it, they'd probably have stuck in backwards compatibility somehow.

Well, the Gamecube hardware is more or less a subset of the Wii hardware, which is more or less a subset of the Wii U hardware. I seem to recall that some folks messing around with hacking Wii mode managed to confirm compatibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm expecting more along the lines of a second player can use a Wiimote to targetlock for the GamePad-user, myself. The non-linear thing is genuinely interesting though.

Yeah this has me excited. Its the non single player, and general bucking conventions talk)

I'd like to see a static world you can explore. SS and especially bad at this TP, the world felt like existed just for you to do stuff to it. WW had a world that felt like it didn't disappear when link left an island, TP had places that were just set pieces. SS was somewhere in the middle, as only the main town felt lived in.

I dont know if Im describing that right. Its like Skyrim where a town full of people will be getting on with their lives even if you never showed up. I'd like a less epic Zelda where you run around in the world and your quest doesn't shatter reality at every turn. It would almost have to be that was to be non-linear which is exciting.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Akileese posted:

So are these TRIALS or are they just charging 30 cents for the game?

I'm not completely clear on that so I wanted to see exactly what they said on the eShop. If it works I'm definitely picking it up mainly to encourage Nintendo to rethink their VC pricing scheme.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Random Stranger posted:

I'm not completely clear on that so I wanted to see exactly what they said on the eShop. If it works I'm definitely picking it up mainly to encourage Nintendo to rethink their VC pricing scheme.

Iwata himself seemed to contradict himself saying they were 30 cents, but he also made a quip about deciding whether or not you wanted to buy the game so I really have no idea what's they're doing.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I'll be honest just from those screens I think a dolphin-rendered Wind Waker looks better. Too much bloom. The genius of the WW art style was the shading.

Compare:

That said, everything else in this Nintendo Direct is awesome, can't wait!

Raizor
Apr 23, 2012

DIGITAL
I think they're 30 cent trials that might basically be full versions, but they only last a month. So if you somehow don't finish the game or download it late or just want to keep it, you can pay your 7 bux or whatever to actually own it after that month. I think.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Rethinking the linearity of dungeons in the new Zelda made me think of Zelda 1 and its ability to go to chose a dungeon order. I know a bunch of people here have expressed interest in Nintendo doing that again.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Okay, Nintendo, I don't regret my WiiU anymore. Are you happy now?

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

FPzero posted:

I was just replaying a part of the Direct that lagged out for me and after the SMT x FE video, Iwata mentioned that there are more of these collaborations in development and that he will let us know of more as time goes by. Considering I don't think anyone managed to predict Samurai Warriors X Pokemon nor this one, I can only imagine what else is in store down the road.

F-Zero x NASCAR

Metroid x Aliens

Luigi x Silent Hill

Pokemon x Monster Hunter

This is fun.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I'll be honest just from those screens I think a dolphin-rendered Wind Waker looks better. Too much bloom. The genius of the WW art style was the shading.

Compare:

That said, everything else in this Nintendo Direct is awesome, can't wait!

Honestly, it's nothing to get up in arms about though. Fully done up Dolphin games look better than anything a console can put out.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
I think Wind Waker HD looks phenomenal. It almost looks like play doh animation.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Paper_Masochist posted:

Nintendo has truly entered another golden era. I don't know what else to say. :unsmith:

Hey now, there's some great announcements there, but there's also a sign that Nintendo will never, ever improve on their policy regarding downloadable content. You will have to rebuy all of your VC games from the Wii and, sure, there's a discount, but that's not how these things work -- it's not how either Valve or Sony do these things. Everything you buy now will also continue to be stuck on one system because their account system didn't turn out to be an actual account system.

Don't shower them with praise yet.

I am, however, excited for the next Monolith project. I'm really glad Nintendo continues to employ them.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jan 23, 2013

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Having an actual HD Wind Waker also benefits those whose PCs can't run Dolphin. Also, 99% of the general Wii U install base.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

FPzero posted:

I can't even begin to imagine how SMT x Fire Emblem is going to work.

Yeah, after recovering from how awesome an announcement that was, I'm not sure what to think. Crossover titles always smell like cheap cash-ins to me, and I don't think either series has unique enough gameplay where they can mash-em up and have something worthwhile.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

FPzero posted:

Also, 99% of the general Wii U install base.

Not that difficult. You just need a really nice i5 or an i7 CPU, and then a decent graphics card. I'd say 80-85% can't, not 99%.

Edit: Oh, of Wii U users. Okay, makes more sense.

Revol fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jan 23, 2013

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Revol posted:

Not that difficult. You just need a really nice i5 or an i7 CPU, and then a decent graphics card. I'd say 80-85% can't, not 99%.

I have both those things and while I can make it look nice, I can't run it balls to the wall.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

kater posted:

Yeah, after recovering from how awesome an announcement that was, I'm not sure what to think. Crossover titles always smell like cheap cash-ins to me, and I don't think either series has unique enough gameplay where they can mash-em up and have something worthwhile.

Atlus have turned out a pair of very good SRPG's in the form of the Devil Survivor games in the last few years, so the mixup isn't entirely unbelievable.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
I don't even like Mechs (Or Xenogears) and BIG RED X got me :neckbeard:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

flyboi posted:

The Xeno series always had mechs players could use up until Xenoblade Chronicles. You shut your dirty mouth. The red X implies it likely takes place in the Xenogears universe, they never once used that red X outside of the first one.

Dont count on it being anything to do with the original xenogears unless they somehow got the rights from SE.

Either way, I'd rather they continue to do their own thing in the vain of xenoblade than try to hamfist a "deep" story like they tried to do with xenogears/xenosaga.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Akileese posted:

I have both those things and while I can make it look nice, I can't run it balls to the wall.

You're doing something wrong. With a quad i5 and a 2 year old mid-range graphics card, I ran Wind Waker at 2560x1440 resolution with silky smooth FPS. It sometimes takes playing with different Dolphin builds to find the right fit, though.

But it's worth it. Skyward Sword in 1440p resolution was breathtaking. One of my favorite gaming experiences of the last few years.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Apparently Mother 2 is hitting VC on the Wii U in Japan...and we probably won't ever get it. :smith:

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

The other part of the Wind Waker announcement was that they intend to use it as a launch point for younger gamers, presumably those young kids that got a shiny new Wii U for Christmas, to jump into the Zelda franchise for the first time. At least, that's what Iwata said.

Baron FU
Apr 3, 2009

Revol posted:

Edit: Oh, of Wii U users. Okay, makes more sense.

You think 80-85% of PCs have those specs? What the hell.

e: Sorry misunderstood.

Baron FU fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jan 23, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

kater posted:

Marvel vs. Capcom, Super Smash Brothers, Kingdom Hearts, Dissidia, Super Robot Wars, Sonic All-Star Racing, Sony All-Stars... there are a lot of excellent crossover titles which don't function as cheap cash-ins.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The only real question now is if Wind Waker HD will come with a second disc that has remakes of Ocarina of Time and Master Quest. :v:

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Baron FU posted:

You think 80-85% of PCs have those specs? What the hell.

No, he/she thinks15-20%.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
THANK YOU NINTENDO.

You have made my Wii U purchase completely worth it for the Monolith Soft game alone. YOU JUST BETTER RELEASE IT HERE ASAP NoA! None of this waiting to release bullshit!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Balloon Fight is out. Get your Visa.

edit: I didn't know you could charge your CC exact amounts now.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jan 23, 2013

Monsieur Mango
Apr 29, 2009
Angry uneducated white person
Oh my god a new Xeno game! :rock:

kater
Nov 16, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Marvel vs. Capcom, Super Smash Brothers, Kingdom Hearts, Dissidia, Super Robot Wars, Sonic All-Star Racing, Sony All-Stars... there are a lot of excellent crossover titles which don't function as cheap cash-ins.

Actually I would contend every single one of those titles. :colbert:

But whatever, I think I might be an insane person because I'm kinda hoping SMTxFE is a musou game.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
The upgrade pricing for VC games purchased on the Wii really puts me at ease. I can buy stuff now and just take the ~$1 hit if it ends up on the Wii U VC later. I mean I'll avoid the obvious heavy hitter games that are guaranteed to show up, but now I can go ahead and buy some of the more out-of-the-way titles that I've been itching to play. What I'm saying is: Welcome to my adult living room, Kirby's Dream Course. :unsmith:

Has there been any indication that WiiWare titles would be coming to the Wii U VC? There's a bunch of stuff there I'm interested in. Again, the same rule applies where I may as well buy them now if the worst-case-scenario is a slim upgrade fee.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm really excited about the Wonderful 101. That trailer made it look really fun.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Minidust posted:

Has there been any indication that WiiWare titles would be coming to the Wii U VC? There's a bunch of stuff there I'm interested in. Again, the same rule applies where I may as well buy them now if the worst-case-scenario is a slim upgrade fee.

I would be very surprised if this ever happens.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Teenage Fansub posted:

Balloon Fight is out. Get your Visa.

edit: I didn't know you could charge your CC exact amounts now.

Where did you find it? I didn't see it anywhere and tried searching as well.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Minidust posted:

They only confirmed NES, SNES and GBA in the future. Nothing else.

Akileese posted:

Where did you find it? I didn't see it anywhere and tried searching as well.

Searched 'balloon' in the EU store.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Well I guess I should probably dig my Wii back out of the closet and do the system transfer now. For whatever reason it wouldn't connect to my new router, so I couldn't download the transfer app. At least I'll have access to my rather substantial VC collection again. What is it you need? Just an SD card with at least 1 GB free for in the Wii U?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
I'm still afraid to do a transfer due to the fact I got a bootloader to play Xenoblade.

I know Nintendo hadn't done anything about it yet but yet I don't care to bank on.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Teenage Fansub posted:

They only confirmed NES, SNES and GBA in the future. Nothing else.

Searched 'balloon' in the EU store.

Yeah I don't think it's on the NA store yet, which is horse poo poo.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

I wouldn't take the HD Wind Waker screens too seriously yet. Notice how the water is just completely blue with none of the white ripples the original game had in the water. You would end up staring at a featureless blue void while sailing, which I'm sure I don't need to remind anyone takes up a large chunk of the game.

I would really love it if they gave this game the NiGHTS HD remake treatment, and allowed you to choose between HD Wind Waker and Gamecube Wind Waker But In 1080p. That would sell it for me so hard. The game is already gorgeous and though I like what I see here I'm a little nervous about what they're doing with it. I'm optimistic about things, though!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The only real question now is if Wind Waker HD will come with a second disc that has remakes of Ocarina of Time and Master Quest. :v:

I would poo poo myself. That was how I played Ocarina of Time for the first time and I still consider it one of the greatest preorder bonuses of all time.

nerdbot fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jan 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Artix74 posted:

Well I guess I should probably dig my Wii back out of the closet and do the system transfer now. For whatever reason it wouldn't connect to my new router, so I couldn't download the transfer app. At least I'll have access to my rather substantial VC collection again. What is it you need? Just an SD card with at least 1 GB free for in the Wii U?

512MB SD card. I just got around to doing this the other day, quite painless.

1. Get transfer app on both systems.
2. SD in WIIu run app
3. put in Wii run app
4. put back in Wiiu hit 'transfer'

• Locked thread