Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I'm still afraid to do a transfer due to the fact I got a bootloader to play Xenoblade.

I know Nintendo hadn't done anything about it yet but yet I don't care to bank on.

I found something to add the latest Wii Shop as a channel to my homebrewed Wii and got the transfer tool there without having to do a firmware upgrade. Worked great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Minidust posted:

Has there been any indication that WiiWare titles would be coming to the Wii U VC? There's a bunch of stuff there I'm interested in. Again, the same rule applies where I may as well buy them now if the worst-case-scenario is a slim upgrade fee.

This isn't going to happen, just because they're designed to work with the Wii's firmware. Even Virtual Console games require a rebuild because the original emulator is designed to work with the Wii (and the reason you don't see the whole library dumped in the store at once is probably to make sure each game actually works properly in the emulator, as well as the usual licensing and age ratings).

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

I just saw that screenshot comparison somebody posted here showing the difference between the GameCube and Wii U versions of Wind Waker, and was wondering if anything was said about more GameCube remakes? I ask due to interest regarding a remake of F-Zero GX since I consider that to be one of the best GameCube games. If they announced that along with a remake of Killer 7 I'd buy a Wii U without hesitation.

Is there anywhere that I could watch a recording of the Nintendo Direct video?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Haha. Loading the NES VC game still takes like 30 seconds.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jan 23, 2013

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

MUFFlNS posted:

I just saw that screenshot comparison somebody posted here showing the difference between the GameCube and Wii U versions of Wind Waker, and was wondering if anything was said about more GameCube remakes? I ask due to interest regarding a remake of F-Zero GX since I consider that to be one of the best GameCube games. If they announced that along with a remake of Killer 7 I'd buy a Wii U without hesitation.

http://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-direct/archive/01-23-2013/

There you go, direct on Nintendo's site.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MUFFlNS posted:

Go here (it's the EU ustream site) and it should just start playing it from the video list automatically.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Someone please confirm if the EU Virtual Console games are still the lovely 50Hz versions.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Can't tell if this is posted yet but, you can get Balloon Fight now if you go to the Miiverse page for it and click on the drop down next to "favorite".

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Someone please confirm if the EU Virtual Console games are still the lovely 50Hz versions.

Balloon Fight definitely is.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

MUFFlNS posted:

Nothing explicit, but Iwata said something about how part of their justification of doing Wind Waker HD was that the Gamecube had a much smaller install base so not everyone has had the chance to play Wind Waker. So, a mindset that could easily encourage more Gamecube ports like that.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

There are tiny black boarders, but nowhere near the usual PAL version squish. I'd suspect it's the 60Hz rom.
I'll test the soundtrack against a US Youtube video.

The filtering is really average. Looks straight bileaner.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Balloon Fight definitely is.

Is 50Hz? Can you tell by the speed?

edit: drat. It totally is comparing the music to this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JMY2dMnK_E Oh well. Avoiding this VC again.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jan 23, 2013

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
But, the Wind Waker HD port also came about because they had opportunity: Iwata says its molded around their WiiU Zelda graphics engine.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Go here (it's the EU ustream site) and it should just start playing it from the video list automatically.

Thanks! I'll watch the EU one :)

Brother Entropy posted:

Nothing explicit, but Iwata said something about how part of their justification of doing Wind Waker HD was that the Gamecube had a much smaller install base so not everyone has had the chance to play Wind Waker. So, a mindset that could easily encourage more Gamecube ports like that.

Ah, I see. I've been holding off on a Wii U since I've felt like Nintendo has been relying too much on Mario rather than other IPs such as F-Zero and StarFox, so I'm just really eager to see anything regarding those franchises that could get me to spring for the Wii U. I'm hoping that their close relationship with Platinum Games leads to a new StarFox at least, since the developer has stated that they'd love to make that for Nintendo.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Big Red X reminds me of Lost Planet 2 more than Monster Hunter, but that's okay because LP2 is also awesome.

I didn't like Xenoblade at all, but SMT x Fire Emblem is probably going to be enough to make me buy a Wii U anyway, and if X seems good I'm sure I'll cave entirely.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Holy loving poo poo it's about goddamned time

Boten Anna fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jan 23, 2013

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
Holy poo poo, that new Wonderful 101 trailer looked amazing.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I knew the VC would have to have controller assignment options what with the various control setups, but the button-mapping is gravy.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

MUFFlNS posted:

Ah, I see. I've been holding off on a Wii U since I've felt like Nintendo has been relying too much on Mario rather than other IPs such as F-Zero and StarFox, so I'm just really eager to see anything regarding those franchises that could get me to spring for the Wii U. I'm hoping that their close relationship with Platinum Games leads to a new StarFox at least, since the developer has stated that they'd love to make that for Nintendo.

I have to imagine Nintendo has both Star Fox and F-Zero games in the works for Wii U. Those are two games that would really benefit from HD graphics.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

That I couldn't remap buttons and the horrible storage options kept me from spending probably hundreds of dollars on the old virtual console. I'm so hosed if they actually get their poo poo together for the U's VC :v:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Boten Anna posted:

That I couldn't remap buttons and the horrible storage options kept me from spending probably hundreds of dollars on the old virtual console. I'm so hosed if they actually get their poo poo together for the U's VC :v:

I don't really see how this would've be a problem with the Wii's VC, given the Wiimote's NES-like layout and the Classic Controller. Except for maybe N64 games, and even then the layouts were okay.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Wha :confused:

Kids :rolleyes:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Just got linked that direct wiiu video and I'm getting reasonably psyched to buy a Wii U maybe? 2 games from platinum (maybe more, they were pushing their involvement quite a lot) and a game from the Mario A team, and now some GC remakes.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Oh please Cubeavore HD! I need to eat my way to the top again!

Chat Windows? First person shooting?
I think I'll have this trailer on loop all day.

pocketbelt
Oct 9, 2012

HRAH

Boten Anna posted:

Holy loving poo poo it's about goddamned time

Yesss, that's wonderful. I remember thinking about whether or not I should hold off or just get the games on the Wii and transfer them over, definitely holding off now.

Need to get the Wii U by May, loving Super Metroid for 30p.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

GBA roms had better be native speed. They should pass the 'we put out what you got' idiot rule.
NB: As I understand it, PAL SNES roms were usually adjusted to play at roughly compatible speeds to NTSC, so aren't too much of a horrible experience. Mega Drive, Master System, NES and Neo Geo are all terrible slow pieces of junk. TG16 is all full speed gloriousness.

edit: The Hanabi SNES titles should obviously be 60Hz.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jan 23, 2013

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

Doug Dinsdale posted:

Persona vs Fire Emblem!

Bombadilillo posted:

Never played a Persona game, anybody got a quick summary?

Very familiar with Fire Emblem.

Just a note: There's no reason to expect Persona, Devil Survivor, or any of the other side-series' stuff to be involved yet. All the characters shown were from the "main" Shin Megami Tensei series (SMT 1-4) plus one side-game (SMT If) which used the main series' mechanics. Persona, Devil Survivor, Digital Devil Saga, and most of the other stuff we've gotten from the franchise in the US is from side-series, which will often share the series' aesthetics and some of the themes but will usually each have their own different core narrative themes and very different mechanics one way or another.

For the "quick summary": The world is destroyed, barely any humans survive and all the demons and monsters created by human belief move in. You are one of the few surviving humans, with the power to make contracts with the demons. You are put in a situation that shapes what the world to come will be like in one way or another. Distinguishing features include a huge cast of mythological creatures from around the world, a modern/apocalyptic setting, and multiple endings with no real "good" ending starting from before multiple endings were really much of a thing at all in video games. In Japan it's apparently considered one of the titans among RPG franchises, up with Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy; in the US we've only gotten 3 and several of the side games, but there are translation patches for 1 and 2 (both SNES games) and I remember hearing 4 will be getting a US release when it comes out.

Benly fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jan 23, 2013

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

flyboi posted:

Wha :confused:

Kids :rolleyes:

Ahaha, who complains about any game in the universe costing 30 cents?

I bought it just to satisfy my dorky curiosity of how the VC would work on Wii U, and I didn't give it a second thought because it's thirty cents.

Plus I get three of those cents back through DDP.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Teenage Fansub posted:

As I understand it, PAL SNES roms were usually adjusted to play at roughly compatible speeds to NTSC

I'm afraid you're under the wrong impression there. Lots and lots of PAL SNES games run 16% slower.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I don't really see how this would've be a problem with the Wii's VC, given the Wiimote's NES-like layout and the Classic Controller. Except for maybe N64 games, and even then the layouts were okay.

Some games were really awkward on the classic controller, which is vastly preferable and more comfortable. The Ambassador games drive me nuts though, as A/B as literal A/B is sometimes really loving uncomfortable on a 3DS.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm afraid you're under the wrong impression there. Lots and lots of PAL SNES games run 16% slower.

There's a list somewhere. Most first party titles got adjusted.
For example, If you do 50-60Hz correction with a PAL Mario World rom and plug it into an NTSC system it'll run way too fast.

edit: Maybe not 'most'. I can only find people talking about SMW, SMKart and the DKC series atm.

The point is, in Europe exclusively support the TG16 VC. It's the right thing to do anyhow.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jan 23, 2013

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Now that some people here are playing Balloon Fight, does the purchase process clarify whether this is a rental or not? "Trial" was a confusing choice of words... I was thinking that it's the concept of the VC itself that is being a given a trial, and they are selling games outright at a cheap price to stimulate interest in that concept? Or maybe I'm reading too much into it and we're just paying for a demo of a NES game? v:shobon:v

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Neat, VC supports all controllers and will let you order them however you want

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Boten Anna posted:

Some games were really awkward on the classic controller, which is vastly preferable and more comfortable. The Ambassador games drive me nuts though, as A/B as literal A/B is sometimes really loving uncomfortable on a 3DS.

Yeah, there are a lot of NES games that you'd want to remap to X/A or Y/B.

Minidust posted:

Now that some people here are playing Balloon Fight, does the purchase process clarify whether this is a rental or not? "Trial" was a confusing choice of words... I was thinking that it's the concept of the VC itself that is being a given a trial, and they are selling games outright at a cheap price to stimulate interest in that concept? Or maybe I'm reading too much into it and we're just paying for a demo of a NES game? v:shobon:v

I didn't see any terms or conditions indicating that the purchase was limited. I think it's just a straight-up sale, not a rental or trial version.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001
The gist I picked up on the "trial" stuff is that you pay 30 cents and get the game for January. Once it rolls into February, you lose access, at which point you either let it go or pay full price.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

If I get a Wii U, should I bother transferring stuff if it means that most of the VC games I had probably won't work on the Wii U anyway?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Zeether posted:

If I get a Wii U, should I bother transferring stuff if it means that most of the VC games I had probably won't work on the Wii U anyway?

They will all work in Wii mode, which is a little segregated section of the UI that emulates a Wii.

All the new announcements re: the VC on Wii U just refer to having them loadable from the main screen with access to Wii U features and controllers.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Zeether posted:

They do work, in Wii Mode.

You boot into Wii Mode, at which point they work just like they work on the Wii.

The VC upgrades are for updated versions that work in WiiU native mode and support things like playing on the gamepad screen.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
So I should feel pretty safe about buying VC games like Zelda 1 or LttP via the Wii Emulator and then eventually being able to pony up some more dough to get them on the WiiU?

I really regret trading my original Wii where I bought $50 worth of VC stuff. :(

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
IGN clarified the $0.30 deal
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/23/wii-u-virtual-console-os-upgrades-announced?abthid=51000ca88afce3265c000074

It's $0.30 for a month for first adopters as a way to get people to adopt VC titles, not a rental.

It's a "trial" as in "hey come try out our wii u virtual console!" aka Japanese translation gone bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
^--- Edit: Okay, cool. If this deal carries over to US, I'll buy several titles, like F-Zero.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-01-23-nintendo-unveils-wii-u-virtual-console

quote:

Before the service launches, Nintendo will offer a number of NES and SNES games to try for 30p ($0.30) for 30 days.

If that's the case, ugh. I don't care about renting decades-old video games. Just give us cheaper pricing on VC/Ware titles already! Or at least do daily/weekly sales.

• Locked thread