Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
What the actual gently caress?

Well, we'll see if it turns out to be good or not. This could be so amazing, or it could be awful. I'm not going to try to predict one way or another yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

dude789 posted:

I wonder how much they'll combine the elements from both games. Just imagine permadeath combined with SMT's instant death spells :unsmigghh:

I'm expecting 2 sections in the game. One for your FE strategy and then good old fashioned dungeon delving where the FE squad are cannon fodder take the place of the demons.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Who are the other SMT characters featured in that video, aside from the ones in Nocturne and SMT4?

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

dude789 posted:

I wonder how much they'll combine the elements from both games. Just imagine permadeath combined with SMT's instant death spells :unsmigghh:

If your party leader dies it's a game over, AND when you reload your save that character is permanently dead and you have to pick a new party leader :suicide:

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Maybe this is what Kaneko's been busy doing, drawing all the characters for this game in his style. :allears:

AlphaKeny1 posted:

Who are the other SMT characters featured in that video, aside from the ones in Nocturne and SMT4?

Hero and Heroine from SMT1, Aleph (the hero) and Hiroko (the heroine) from SMT2, Boy Hero and Girl Hero from SMT if...

Cheap Diner Coffee
Aug 7, 2010

Philistine.

Alteisen posted:

Well gently caress me, guess I'm getting a Wii U.

Same here, eventually.

But really, holy poo poo. I was convinced that this was a joke until I saw the uploader.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
So this is how they're selling me a Wii U. It's a shame that's the only info about it there is, but... well, that's enough, really.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

TurnipFritter posted:

Maybe this is what Kaneko's been busy doing, drawing all the characters for this game in his style. :allears:

Hero and Heroine from SMT1, Aleph (the hero) and Hiroko (the heroine) from SMT2, Boy Hero and Girl Hero from SMT if...

Ah, thanks. So it looks like they want to use mainline SMT characters. I guess no Seraph or Persona appearances :(. I wonder why they chose Chiaki though, maybe she'll use her Reason and fight off FE guys. Time to actually play those older games, and replay Nocturne because why the hell not.

Also I suppose this means SMT4 has to come out before this game, which gives me hope that it will be released... soonish. Maybe.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

AlphaKeny1 posted:

Ah, thanks. So it looks like they want to use mainline SMT characters. I guess no Seraph or Persona appearances :(.

It's just a teaser dude nothing is set in stone.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

AlphaKeny1 posted:

Ah, thanks. So it looks like they want to use mainline SMT characters. I guess no Seraph or Persona appearances :(. I wonder why they chose Chiaki though, maybe she'll use her Reason and fight off FE guys. Time to actually play those older games, and replay Nocturne because why the hell not.

If.. is about as mainline as DDS is so I wouldn't worry too much on that basis alone.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

AlphaKeny1 posted:

I wonder why they chose Chiaki though, maybe she'll use her Reason and fight off FE guys. Time to actually play those older games, and replay Nocturne because why the hell not.

I wouldn't think too hard about the specifics of which characters were shown in this teaser, the SMT cast was pretty much 'a game's MC + their female friend or companion'.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Nintendo made like five million dollars through Fire Emblem Awakening DLC, so the odds of your favorite Persona/DDS/etc character showing up for a couple of bucks are pretty high.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
There seemed to be way more Fire Emblem characters, I hope this means more SMT characters are coming.

Dogbutt
Nov 26, 2011

Look at my face.
Am I the only who is really hoping there are no Persona characters in this game? Persona has gotten enough attention, and I think the original SMT franchise needs a little more love. This is how it'll get it!

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah seriously, I don't want to see Persona characters in this game. After Arena and Golden, I'm kind of good with Persona for another 4 years.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

If you honestly think that Atlus isn't going to trot out Yu Narukami or something for a cross-over game of this magnitude then I don't really know what to tell you. They put him in Lord of Vermillion for gently caress sake. I think it's just best to hope that the Persona cast isn't overwhelming.

vvv Exactly. Persona 2 dudes are cool. Let's get Michel up in here.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

I could go for some Persona 2 characters. Nobody loves poor Baofu.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

^^^^ gently caress yes, Baofu is the best.

Dogbutt posted:

Am I the only who is really hoping there are no Persona characters in this game? Persona has gotten enough attention, and I think the original SMT franchise needs a little more love. This is how it'll get it!

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Yeah seriously, I don't want to see Persona characters in this game. After Arena and Golden, I'm kind of good with Persona for another 4 years.

I want Persona characters in, but only if guys from 2 get in before SEES and Investigation Squad members.

I remember Baofu and Michelle, Atlus. Do you?

Plus putting in the Protag of Persona 3 or 4 + 1 female friend each causes issues because then they have to decide which girl to add and some crazy fan somewhere is gonna be pissed that they picked who they did (Obviously Chie.)

Dogbutt
Nov 26, 2011

Look at my face.

neongrey posted:

I could go for some Persona 2 characters. Nobody loves poor Baofu.

Oh yeah that would be fine. I feel like this game will be a good opportunity to introduce more people to the SMTs that aren't P3 or P4.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Dogbutt posted:

Oh yeah that would be fine. I feel like this game will be a good opportunity to introduce more people to the SMTs that aren't P3 or P4.

I just want The Protag from Strange Journey to show up with both Judge Zelenin and Awaken Jimenez.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Dogbutt posted:

The problem is most of those games aren't available outside of Japan (talking about SMT 1, SMT 2 and If...).

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I just want The Protag from Strange Journey to show up with both Judge Zelenin and Awaken Jimenez.

As long as we get someone in a Demonica, I don't really mind who they bring in from SJ. Demonicas are probably my favourite SMT clothing design.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kurtofan posted:

The problem is most of those games aren't available outside of Japan (talking about SMT 1, SMT 2 and If...).
Hey, half the FE series isn't available outside of Japan. They match!

Pooptimus Prime
Jun 12, 2005

Need I remind you!? The foolish receive no mercy...

Dogbutt posted:

Nah, I don't feel that the presence of popular spin-off characters will somehow lessen my enjoyment of the other SMT characters. I'm entirely capable of enjoying them both.

I'd like to see some Devil Survivor kids if they are going to go with spin-offs and not just the main series, though.

And somebody, anybody from Strange Journey.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
It has to be Jimenez, please let there be Jimenez.

I hope there's some DDS representation and also Raidou.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

^^^DDS's rep better loving be Cielo. He's gotta redeem himself, man!

Technically they've got a character from Both Persona 1 and 2 already. The female protag from SMT ...if shows up as a fellow student in P1 and gives you one of her rapiers and tells you how to deal with Demons. In P2 she's a college student working as an assistant in the Kuzunoha Detective Agency along side Daisuke Todoroki, who's from Soul Hackers originally. :spergin: :eng101:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I doubt there'll be any Persona characters, just because I'm willing to bet that this'll go for more of the 'apocalyptic' look that SMT games (but rarely their spinoffs) have.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
More and likely Persona stuff will be just cameos in the background, like the Teddy posters from Catherine.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
They definitely need some P1 characters. Throw Naoya in there, maybe go with Reiji instead of Maki even though they're obviously just throwing in the female leads, but Maki was boring. Then it will be a Good Game.

But haha, i can't believe some people think they'll be able to resist dumping in the entire P4 cast.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Needs more sideburns.

Dec 26, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMRGNwMMFro

Someone is making a game specifically for me. :allears:

This was my literal reaction when I heard the news.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Plus putting in the Protag of Persona 3 or 4 + 1 female friend each causes issues because then they have to decide which girl to add and some crazy fan somewhere is gonna be pissed that they picked who they did (Obviously Chie.)

If they did this they'd probably pick Yukari and Rise since they're like the "default" love interests in their respective games (though Rise can't fight, so maybe Yukiko instead?), even though Yukari and Rise are the most obnoxious love interests.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I thought Atlus pretty much said that they want to have Persona exclusively on the Vita/ps3 and the main line on 3ds/wii u recently? Not to mention, Persona, etc arent technically SMT by name in Japan. So if true I don't think there will be a Persona rep.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

DarkHamsterlord posted:

If they did this they'd probably pick Yukari and Rise since they're like the "default" love interests in their respective games (though Rise can't fight, so maybe Yukiko instead?), even though Yukari and Rise are the most obnoxious love interests.

P4 can easily be solved by simply using Kanji instead.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I thought Atlus pretty much said that they want to have Persona exclusively on the Vita/ps3 and the main line on 3ds/wii u recently? Not to mention, Persona, etc arent technically SMT by name in Japan. So if true I don't think there will be a Persona rep.

I'm not entirely sure about that. I know Katsura Hashino talked up on the Japanese PlayStation Blog about being interested in continuing Persona on Vita, but I can't recall them firmly putting their foot down on Persona as a Sony property. Then again Sony must have paid out the rear end for P4G.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ibram Gaunt posted:

This is pretty much true in the rest of the world too, considering they dropped the SMT name from P4A and P4G. The last game with it was Devil Survivor 2, iirc.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
So, given that I am a fire emblem fan who wants to give the non-persona SMT games a try (I've played Personas 3 and 4, and gave 1 a try but it was too 90s JRPG for me), where should I start? The OP talks about a lot of games but doesn't seem to say what the consensus entry points to the series are.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

So, given that I am a fire emblem fan who wants to give the non-persona SMT games a try (I've played Personas 3 and 4, and gave 1 a try but it was too 90s JRPG for me), where should I start? The OP talks about a lot of games but doesn't seem to say what the consensus entry points to the series are.

Nocturne, because it's a) A Good Game, b) available in English, c) the only SMT title from the FE x SMT trailer that's both A Good Game and available in English.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Maybe the Devil Survivor games, as well as Strange Journey, all of those on DS. Be warned, though, Devil Survivor are SRPG, not straight dungeon RPG like the rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
I'm conflicted about whether or not I'd want the P4 cast in the crossover game. I mean, its likely they'll be but in as some sort of DLC at the very least, but I'd hope that they'd actually take the time and effort to write some good dialogue and character interactions for everyone.

Yu/Souji (yeah still like the sound of the later name more) being an absolute dick/headcase to everyone would be magical.