Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Hillary Clinton for President has paid off all its debt and has a $240,000 surplus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Joementum posted:

Hillary Clinton for President has paid off all its debt and has a $240,000 surplus.

Speaking of Hillary Clinton for President, whats up with http://www.hillaryis44.org ? It's like reading a crazyass rightwing site. I mean, isn't the whole idea of supporting Clinton is also supporting Clinton's party?

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Buckwheat Sings posted:

Speaking of Hillary Clinton for President, whats up with http://www.hillaryis44.org ? It's like reading a crazyass rightwing site. I mean, isn't the whole idea of supporting Clinton is also supporting Clinton's party?

Do you remember the PUMAs of 2008?

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

SerSpook posted:

Oh yeah. I just assumed they would've joined back into the party since Clinton became apart of the administration. It's just weird since the site holds so much bitter even after all these years and agrees with Republican ideals if it's involved in an attack against Obama.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I believe the HI44 founder was a big Perot supporter or something other than a loyal Dem who really really loved Hillary.

SombreroAgnew
Sep 22, 2004

unlimited rice pudding
I like their inexplicable frontpage article about One Direction that calls Elvis gay.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

SerSpook posted:

Was there anything to that beyond James "Cajun Style" Carville wearing colorful sneakers on newschat shows?

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

watt par posted:

Was there anything to that beyond James "Cajun Style" Carville wearing colorful sneakers on newschat shows?

I seem to remember some Republican attempts at astro-turfing, but I may have imagined it.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
Lucky, all I can remember is the breathless media coverage of the PUMAs long after the point where it was obvious Obama had won the primary.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

serewit posted:

Lucky, all I can remember is the breathless media coverage of the PUMAs long after the point where it was obvious Obama had won the primary.
We all knew who was winning that election. PUMAs made for better TV during the lull between the primary and Palin showing up.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

SerSpook posted:

I seem to remember some Republican attempts at astro-turfing, but I may have imagined it.

No Rush pushed for republicans in open primaries to vote for Hilary.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor
Although I admit I wasn't following too closely during primary 2008, I remember a few stories talking about Biden's plagiarism issues being a big roadblock to the Presidency. Was this a valid concern and will it even matter to primary voters in 2016?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

menino posted:

Although I admit I wasn't following too closely during primary 2008, I remember a few stories talking about Biden's plagiarism issues being a big roadblock to the Presidency. Was this a valid concern and will it even matter to primary voters in 2016?

I hadn't heard about it before, and so I wiki'd it. It seems that it was a real roadblock back in the 1988 race, where he was a little inconsistent in his references, but apparently he was cleared of all charges as a lawyer by the Delaware Supreme Court, and the thing hasn't resurfaced. I expect he's learned how to cite properly at this point, and that he's got a good talking point about it. I'd think that it wouldn't be a campaign issue since it's already thoroughly in the past.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Biden#1988_presidential_campaign

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

menino posted:

Not even a little bit. He had actually cited the portion he allegedly plagiarized in the past - he failed to do it once and got beat up for it.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
It was a non-issue in the 2008 campaign, so I don't see why it'd be a big loving deal in 2016.

SombreroAgnew
Sep 22, 2004

unlimited rice pudding

Joementum posted:

It was a non-issue in the 2008 campaign, so I don't see why it'd be a big loving deal in 2016.
It will probably be some kind of manufactured microscandal like 'handshakegate' or the first time Obama didn't wear a suit jacket in the oval office.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I'm interested to see if anyone will use his comments about the OBL raid against him. He thought it was a bad idea and advised Obama not to do it.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

I believe the HI44 founder was a big Perot supporter or something other than a loyal Dem who really really loved Hillary.

My understanding though is that he's still on board with Hillary and that place will be fascinating to watch if Hillary decides to run as they'll now have to reverse course and launch internal purges against all the tea party dreck they've attracted since Hillary conceded.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Joementum posted:

I'm interested to see if anyone will use his comments about the OBL raid against him. He thought it was a bad idea and advised Obama not to do it.
He was against it before he was for it? I don't see how that could possibly be used against a politician.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
Oh boy! Anyone else excited about the Hillary Clinton (67/26 ABC/WaPo) Benghazi poo poo-show today?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Just when you thought you heard the last of Benghazi, it rears its ugly head yet again...

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

DynamicSloth posted:

My understanding though is that he's still on board with Hillary and that place will be fascinating to watch if Hillary decides to run as they'll now have to reverse course and launch internal purges against all the tea party dreck they've attracted since Hillary conceded.

HI44 has been pretty much all about Obama hatred since its inception. Do they even have any articles about HRC anymore? It's pretty much just seemed like a freeper site with a picture of Hillary on it.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Looks like Benghazi is going to be Hillary's truther bullshit issue, if she runs in the primary.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
These hearings are pretty typical, except for the part where Clinton actually doesn't take any poo poo, which I'm enjoying. McCain's diatribe in particular was predictably and hilariously stupid. I enjoyed Durbin's crack about WMD, but otherwise the whole yuk-yuk setup game our legislature plays is so embarrassing compared to something like PM Questions. Hillary's one of the only people in the room who could obviously hold her own on PM Questions.

EDIT: And Rand Paul enters the fray with his smartest-guy-in-the-room-who-is-obviously-not-that-smart routine and goes for the jugular. Urgh, too painful to watch that smarmy prick.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jan 23, 2013

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The part you'll see over and over and over again is about three minutes in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGLQ63qUHHo

Lee Harvey Oswald
Mar 17, 2007

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

The part you'll see over and over and over again is about three minutes in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGLQ63qUHHo

Still can't believe Feingold lost to that douche.

buttcoin smuggler
Jun 25, 2011
Because we lack a DnD small questions thread, I'll just ask this here. What's the state of Bill and Hillary's marriage now? Do they, for example, still sleep together? Has Bill put an end to his philandering ways?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

buttcoin smuggler posted:

Because we lack a DnD small questions thread, I'll just ask this here. What's the state of Bill and Hillary's marriage now? Do they, for example, still sleep together? Has Bill put an end to his philandering ways?

I doubt they've seen much of eachother considering her line of work the past four years. Bill has been busy with his not-for-profit as well as fundraising/campaigning for Democrats and paying off Hillary's campaign debt. Game Change's answer pre-2008, was that Senator Clinton and Bill talk every day and see each other as much as they can. I would imagine that's still largely true except for the talking every day part.

As for if Bill is still messing around or not, even the tabloids seem to have moved on from that sort of stuff. But I'm sure they'd start sniffing around if one of them started being in the public eye a whole lot more.

I don't regularly read Page 8 or whatever the Post's gossip column is called. Have they talked about Bill lately?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
There were rumors in 2008 that Bill was seeing other people and that this would have come out in a general election.

Bonus item from PPP not worth its own post:

Joementum fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 23, 2013

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

Lee Harvey Oswald posted:

Still can't believe Feingold lost to that douche.

That wasn't exactly a satisfying response either, either from the perspective of answering the question or shutting it down as a dumb one. Although this may be a case of TV presidents raising my expectations for the real deals.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Joementum posted:

There were rumors in 2008 that Bill was seeing other people and that this would have come out in a general election.

And if I recall correctly, one of those people was Gina Gershon

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Joementum posted:

I kind of hate carrying on about it, but the whole "gently caress Force One" aspect made for some hysterical copy, I have to admit. I heard that group had a falling out sometime after that, but it could've just been rumor.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
"I wish you won the Democratic primary in 2008" ~ Tom Cotton (R-AR) to Hillary Clinton during the Congressional hearings on Benghazi.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Joementum posted:

"I wish you won the Democratic primary in 2008" ~ Tom Cotton (R-AR) to Hillary Clinton during the Congressional hearings on Benghazi.
"I wish you the best in your future endeavors... mostly." ~ Rep. Steve Chabot (R-OH) to Hillary Clinton during same.

Azram Legion
Jan 23, 2005

Drunken Poet Glory
Could you guys give some context for those quotes, for those of us that don't follow US politics (as) closely? I'm having a hard time understanding exactly why they'd say that - what the angle is, so to say.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Azram Legion posted:

Could you guys give some context for those quotes, for those of us that don't follow US politics (as) closely? I'm having a hard time understanding exactly why they'd say that - what the angle is, so to say.

They do not like Barack Obama.

Tom Cotton is also from Arkansas, where Bill Clinton was Governor before becoming President, so there's some homerism going on there.

Steve Chabot is basically saying that he's glad she will no longer be Secretary of State... unless she runs for President. He won't be glad then.

ChlamydiaJones
Sep 27, 2002

My Estonian riding instructor told me; "Mine munni ahvi türa imeja", and I live by that every day!
Ramrod XTreme
At least we have http://www.hillaryis45.com to keep us abreast of her progress in this pursuit!

Azram Legion
Jan 23, 2005

Drunken Poet Glory

Joementum posted:

They do not like Barack Obama.

Tom Cotton is also from Arkansas, where Bill Clinton was Governor before becoming President, so there's some homerism going on there.

Steve Chabot is basically saying that he's glad she will no longer be Secretary of State... unless she runs for President. He won't be glad then.

Thanks! I couldn't figure out if they were honest compliments, or the kind of underhanded "... because then a black guy wouldn't be president!" I've come to expect from republicans. Guess they were sort of both, really.

Realistically though, besides how the right has reacted, would things look very different if Clinton had won? I realize that is impossible to really answer in detail, but I mean in the broader sense - did she run on a significantly different platform?

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007

ChlamydiaJones posted:

At least we have http://www.hillaryis45.com to keep us abreast of her progress in this pursuit!

Same guy or copycat site?

Edit: By the way, curiosity made me take a look at their commentary for the hearing (they link this thread on their front page btw), and it looks like purges are in aid of already. HRC lost quite a few long-term fans today.

Brigadier Sockface fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jan 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Azram Legion posted:

Realistically though, besides how the right has reacted, would things look very different if Clinton had won? I realize that is impossible to really answer in detail, but I mean in the broader sense - did she run on a significantly different platform?

The biggest policy difference between Hillary and Obama is that she thought an individual healthcare mandate would be necessary and he was opposed to the idea.

• Locked thread