Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

ooh! another baltimore photographer. cool!

I took these two not too long ago during D-clone at Barclay House and Lightning Bolt at Floristree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
I'm closer to DC than I am Baltimore though I used to shoot a bunch in Calvert County and now Mt Airy. I don't actually shoot that much in Baltimore hah

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

pr0digal posted:

Not shooting as much as I used to but a few shots I like from the past few shows. I'm trying not to be too cliche with the fisheye

Hello fellow Baltimorian!

I'll be shooting Scott Weiland at Rams Head Live tonight. Lighting isn't too shabby there.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Pukestain Pal posted:

Hello fellow Baltimorian!

I'll be shooting Scott Weiland at Rams Head Live tonight. Lighting isn't too shabby there.

I'm in Silver Spring actually. I'm planning on shooting Elle Goulding, Flogging Molly and Finch at the Fillmore. I'm usually a basement show kinda guy but I work right down the street from The Fillmore

Cowabunga!-25 by Ethan Hansen Photography, on Flickr

Apparently finding a press contact for Elle Goulding is almost impossible

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Nov 29, 2012

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
Had so much hope for this show....

Scott Weiland of Stone Temple Pilots by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr

Scott Weiland by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr

Scott Weiland by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr

vxsarin fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Nov 30, 2012

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

Oh, concert photography, I miss you. I rarely shoot anymore- my city has turned into some weird mush where everyone is doing some sort of 'free' event photography and this has pretty much killed any type of promotions work I had. It's still there, but I am not going to work for free and/or a pass.

Floggling Molly, The Joy Formidable and Bush.

Untitled by Eeek5127, on Flickr

edit: spelling

Eeek fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Dec 3, 2012

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Shot my first show for my friends' final show as their band, Black Coffee with their opening guests, Aabaraki.

Black Coffee - Cait by geeves, on Flickr

Black Coffee - Vince by geeves, on Flickr

Aabaraki - Brian by geeves, on Flickr

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
tried shooting moss icon/purling hiss with p&s. only one that turned out half-decent

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!
A couple favorites from The Smashing Pumpkins on 12/6.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Speaking as a massive Pumpkins/Corgin fanboy ... holy crap that looks awkward.

edit: beats The Cure or MBV though.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

FretforyourLatte posted:

A couple favorites from The Smashing Pumpkins on 12/6.

This wasn't in Pittsburgh, was it? I know they were just here in the last week or so.

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!

teethgrinder posted:

Speaking as a massive Pumpkins/Corgin fanboy ... holy crap that looks awkward.

edit: beats The Cure or MBV though.

He still rocked but he was wearing the tiniest shirt for some reason...Come on Billy, I know you can afford a shirt that will cover your love handles.

Edit: Yes, it's Pittsburgh.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
Aging (indie)rockers are the saddest thing. I don't think any of my Jesus and Mary Chain shots turned out well.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
He just wants his M14.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Tame Impala.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

I, Butthole posted:

Tame Impala.

These are all really nice, especially the last one.

Nilson
Sep 2, 2011

I, Butthole where were they taken? I shot them at Homebake last weekend - wish they'd been as animated as they look there. The lead guy spent half the first 3 songs with his back to the audience. :doh:

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Nilson posted:

I, Butthole where were they taken? I shot them at Homebake last weekend - wish they'd been as animated as they look there. The lead guy spent half the first 3 songs with his back to the audience. :doh:

The Tivoli in Brisbane. It's really the best time I've had shooting them, I still don't really 'get' them though. They're a tight band but there's so much filler on their albums. Give me Pond or give me death.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
So, it's "look back on 2012 and what you did" kinda time. I did it in photos. Apologies if you've seen these before, I tried to stick to things I hadn't shown publically.

A full gallery via Facebook because I don't want to stuff this thread full of 75 photos https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.522149047803563.121411.119661138052358&type=1

I, Butthole fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Dec 15, 2012

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I have many bands worth of photos to edit/process/post, but I really loved this one from tonight:

Basia Bulat

I need to go back to September and do Wide Mouth Mason, Imperative Reaction, New Order, Saint Etienne, SWANS, Men Without Hats, Amanda Palmer and Helio Sequence.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
Started the new year right with The Hives (awesome) and 65daysofstatic (played in the dark the entire time)

pelle is creepy

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Hardcore and pop-punk bands in tiny basements. I really need to start shooting bigger shows more often.

Distances-19 by Ethan Hansen Photography, on Flickr

Dead Gods-4 by Ethan Hansen Photography, on Flickr

Call Me A Dreamer-12 by Ethan Hansen Photography, on Flickr

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
Shot the impossibly-dull Vaccines and Two Door Cinema Club the other night.

TDCC has nice lights, but I just don't get their appeal at all. The Vaccines seem to be all accent and nothing else.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

Eeek posted:

Floggling Molly, The Joy Formidable and Bush.

For just a split second I was like "what the gently caress...?," and then I remembered that Dave King looks like that and makes that face 80 times in every show. :) These guys were so much loving fun to shoot, partly because as a national act they've actually got great lighting.

IMG_2679 by elymt, on Flickr

Who wants to win a chance to shoot Soundgarden and win a box set? There's just one small catch:

quote:

7. Grant of Rights. By entering the Contest, entrants irrevocably grant Sponsor, its subsidiaries, divisions, affiliates, designees, clients, sponsors, licensees, and advertising and promotional agencies, an unlimited, worldwide, perpetual, non-exclusive, royalty-free, unconditional license and absolute right to edit, post, publish, store, copy, transmit, publicly display, and exhibit, the Work (in whole or in part) in connection with the Contest and/or the promotion of the Contest. Upon Sponsor's request, winners agree to sign any and all legal forms deemed necessary to license or assign all right, title and interest in and to the Work, including without limitation, all copyrights associated therewith, in exchange for the Prizes set forth above.

jackpot fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jan 9, 2013

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

jackpot posted:

Who wants to win a chance to shoot Soundgarden and win a box set? There's just one small catch:

Yeah, my sister's husband sent that to me yesterday and suggested I enter. I read the TOS and it read as "Soundgarden wants free photos". But to SG's benefit, they have been giving proper recognition on their FB page. I may enter, because, why not?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I've been working on making selects for my portfolio and re-processing some old shots. Here's a few I came across that I don't think I ever posted.

Trent Reznor @ Sasquatch 2009

Robin Finck of NIN @ Sasquatch 2009

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

geeves posted:

Yeah, my sister's husband sent that to me yesterday and suggested I enter. I read the TOS and it read as "Soundgarden wants free photos". But to SG's benefit, they have been giving proper recognition on their FB page. I may enter, because, why not?
Eh, I can't decide whether to have a problem with this or not. The "why not" part is every photographer who can't get work anymore because amateurs are willing to do the work for free, and bands are willing to accept half the usual talent because it only costs them a hundredth of the usual cost.

On the other hand, if some fan wants to do it and wouldn't normally be allowed to shoot a show, then go for it, have a blast. It just rubs me the wrong way, signing away your work for a $10 CD of a band who's sold 20 million records.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

jackpot posted:

Eh, I can't decide whether to have a problem with this or not. The "why not" part is every photographer who can't get work anymore because amateurs are willing to do the work for free, and bands are willing to accept half the usual talent because it only costs them a hundredth of the usual cost.

On the other hand, if some fan wants to do it and wouldn't normally be allowed to shoot a show, then go for it, have a blast. It just rubs me the wrong way, signing away your work for a $10 CD of a band who's sold 20 million records.

On this note I was browsing a semi local music photographer's FB page. I'm starting to do more promo work so I looked through their stuff. Not bad, some nitpick stuff like terrible color balancing and shadows but then I saw their prices

50 bucks for anything. Promo shoot, portrait, graduation, weddings (:rolleyes:)

Way below any price I would even think of charging and their relatively local so they're undercutting the crap out of me. I used to not care that much until I started doing more promo work and bands get irked at my price of two hundred which from what I gather is still undercutting and I feel bad about. Like I get that most local bands don't exactly much money and I get that but I have to make a living too.

For content. This show sucked to shoot with only a prime and no flash at a terribly lit bar

Arabella by Ethan Hansen Photography, on Flickr

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jan 14, 2013

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
So Rivers Cuomo almost kicked me in the face. Awesome

On a side note, shooting Weezer's first Australian show in 16 years was awesome. I didn't realise how much he looks like Rick Moranis sometimes.

Support: Ball Park Music

Support: Cloud Control (awesome as hell, check out their album)

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

My friend released her debut EP last night:

Cait by geeves, on Flickr

Paco and Vince by geeves, on Flickr

Chelsea by geeves, on Flickr

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

geeves posted:

My friend released her debut EP last night:

Paco and Vince by geeves, on Flickr

Chelsea by geeves, on Flickr

Great stuff!

I particularly love the first and third. Too bad the crop is so tight on her hand on the right, but great exposure/expression/composition.

My older brother's cover band played a show over the weekend and I took my camera out to get some shots they can use for promotion.

Lots of red lights for most of the set but this venue has much much better lighting than most of the places they play so I ended up with some stuff I'm happy with.

Radical_Rev_111 by Kent, J, on Flickr

Radical_Rev_144 by Kent, J, on Flickr

this is my brother on the right, shredding the beautiful les paul.

Radical_Rev_177 by Kent, J, on Flickr

Radical_Rev_244 by Kent, J, on Flickr

Radical_Rev_351 by Kent, J, on Flickr

Radical_Rev_388 by Kent, J, on Flickr

Radical_Rev_412 by Kent, J, on Flickr

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

MMD3 posted:

Great stuff!

I particularly love the first and third. Too bad the crop is so tight on her hand on the right, but great exposure/expression/composition.

Thanks, I agree about the crop. She was walking toward me and I had my back up against the wall with a 135L (my first time out with one). I have the exact same shot with her hand in frame, but the focus was on the mic and her face was out of focus. I thought about compositing the two in photoshop, but decided against it.

quote:

My older brother's cover band played a show over the weekend and I took my camera out to get some shots they can use for promotion.

Lots of red lights for most of the set but this venue has much much better lighting than most of the places they play so I ended up with some stuff I'm happy with.

Despite the red lights, I think they turned out well! I hate red lights, they always gently caress things up for me.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
F-f-f-f-f-festival post. Big Day Out on the Gold Coast, Australia.

Childish Gambino

i don't even

Death Grips

Death Grips again

Every Time I Die

Grinspoon

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Sleigh Bells

Sleigh Bells again (going to put this through a Photoshop wringer so I can make them stand out a bit more)

Yeah Yeah Yeahs

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Lady loving Gaga :woop: :woop: :woop:

lady gaga // born this way ball by francography, on Flickr

351B7607 by francography, on Flickr

351B7640 by francography, on Flickr

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
It's kind of sad that all those people who entered that contest to shoot a Soundgarden concert and spammed the poo poo out of social media to pimp out their entry probably could have got an actual press photo pass with less effort.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
PROTOMEN! Powerglove! MAGFEST!

Protomen are loving awesome live FYI.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Muse :woop: :woop:

Muse // Staples Center by francography, on Flickr

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

HPL posted:

It's kind of sad that all those people who entered that contest to shoot a Soundgarden concert and spammed the poo poo out of social media to pimp out their entry probably could have got an actual press photo pass with less effort.
I just hope when they get to the show they find the same ridiculous rules that a lot of big acts have: first three songs only, must stand in this 10x10 spot with 20 other shooters, etc.

I went on kind of a rant on Flogging Molly's facebook post (they're doing the same thing, through the same company) and never got a reply from it (except for one pro shooter who agreed with me). And why should they reply? This is a great deal for them.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I really wanted to enter that contest and promote it by vowing to shoot the concert with a pinhole camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

HPL posted:

I really wanted to enter that contest and promote it by vowing to shoot the concert with a pinhole camera.

this is the best thing ever... shooting a concert with a pinhole would be, well yeah, wow.