Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot
Been listening to Fire on the Deep and A Deepness in the Sky, in preparation of reading Children of the Sky. I've already read the hard copies of the first two but despite the fact that I bought the hard copy I haven't finished the third in the series, so I said screw it and decided to just listen to it. at any rate the first two are good for while I'm at the gym. Not as good as the first read so far but nonetheless I like the general themes that are just about the only thing holding these three together as a series, if in fact they are one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Bought my first book to use with "Whisper Sync for Voice" - Theft of Swords: Riyria Revelations, Book 1.

The audiobook was $4.99 after I bought the Kindle book. Hope this is a cool experience!

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!
Reading through this I thought I'd add that I think both Simon Vance and William Dufris are brilliant readers, oh and Simon Jones(of HHGTTG radio and tv show fame), and Wil Wheaton too, though obviously they both do it far less.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Bought Ready Player One tonight but good lord Wil Wheaton is a bad reader.. he has this weird speaking pattern.. just.. ugh.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
Oh, gonna back up the love for Simon Jones- His reading of the Bartimaeus books is just wonderful. He is a perfect surly djinn, and those books were great to start with, but I couldn't recommend the audios more. If you haven't listened to them I'd say get out right now and get Amulet of Samarkand.

I started listening to A Series of Unfortunate Events as read by Tim Curry, which is also good fun! I don't know if I can listen to them all in a row, though, they're a relentless yet entertaining downer.

Finished The Night Circus read by Jim Dale the other week, still not the biggest fan of Dale, as he has a tendency to make 10 year old girls sound about 80 and cigarettey, but it didn't dull my enjoyment of the book. It was basically everything I'd wanted from Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell- Victorian-era wizards with a feud- but it did it in a lighter, more character driven, fantastical fashion.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Syrinxx posted:

Bought my first book to use with "Whisper Sync for Voice" - Theft of Swords: Riyria Revelations, Book 1.

The audiobook was $4.99 after I bought the Kindle book. Hope this is a cool experience!

I am going to say everyone should pick up the Riyria series because its good and keeps getting better.

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!

coyo7e posted:

If you're game for non-horror, I would most strongly recommend Seth Harwood's website, and anything by him.

"Jack Wakes Up" is great fun along the lines of "Get Shorty" or something, and "A Long Way From Disney" can pull tears.

I finished newsflesh series, 7th son series, and also the Ex-Heroes book Clinton1011 told me to try (it was very good by the way, thank you! So now I'm dry on series and this will be my next up, thanks coyo7e! I'm a fan of free so this is right up my alley :)

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Bought Ready Player One tonight but good lord Wil Wheaton is a bad reader.. he has this weird speaking pattern.. just.. ugh.

After listening to him in Masters of DooM, Red Shirts, and Metatropolis: Cascadia, I really like him.
Pretty sure it would help to have never watched Star Trek: The Next Generation though.
That show (and DS9) made me forever hate the concept of children in science-fiction television, and Wil in particular.

His accent is weird as Hell though.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Feb 4, 2013

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I've been listening to The Last Battle by Cornelius Ryan. Gives some great insight into the final days of World War II from the upper echelons of the American, British, Russian, and German forces - both politically and militarily. The narrator gives some nice gravitas to the horrors (read: the justifiably vindictive Red Army) that fell on Berlin towards the end.

The New Black
Oct 1, 2006

Had it, lost it.

leftover posted:

I finished newsflesh series, 7th son series, and also the Ex-Heroes book Clinton1011 told me to try (it was very good by the way, thank you! So now I'm dry on series and this will be my next up, thanks coyo7e! I'm a fan of free so this is right up my alley :)

There is a sequel to Ex-Heroes called I think Ex-Patriots. I enjoyed it but not so much as the first. He also did another book called 14 which was awesome.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
Yea Ex-Patriots is not as good as Ex-Heroes but I wasn't upset about the purchase. 14 is a really good book, loved it a lot. Its not a Zombie series like you originally were looking for but its a book I think anyone who likes fiction should try.

Litch991
Sep 14, 2005
I just made a post on my blog about Scott Brick and James Marsters (plus several other narrators) as a result of the recommendations from this thread. Thank you guys for the awesome discoveries!

http://www.audiobooknerds.com/nerdblog/slapyourfriend1

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

I was sifting through my library like I do about once a month. I check the authors to see if they have put out anything interesting lately. Lo and behold though I was surprised to see that I can return these things. I'm still used to thinking of them as books from a bookstore where I don't return them, I just garage sale them, donate them to a library or some charitable organization.

Today I dumped the unabridged version of Anathem (which contains a solid hour of discussion about pretend theoretical metaphysical arguments and no solid ending), John Ringo's Live Free or Die (an otherwise okay book if the author didn't have a savage erection for libertarianism) and Lev Grossman's The Magicians (I wanted to like this book, but it pushed far past the deep end for smugness and self-indulgence).

So why is this important? Well, I bought all of these more than six months ago and The Magicians over a year and some change ago. I have a library of about eighty books and dumped my least favorite three for shiny new audiobooks. So if you folks have any books that you absolutely despise, give it a shot. I was expecting to persuade/argue my way into getting those books refunded, but I didn't have to and that was loving awesome.

So now I have four credits (Anathem was two which was such a kick in the balls at the time) plus two for this month's credits. I'm going to give the Song of Ice and Fire series a shot and I'm also picking up The Wind Up Girl as it was suggested to me.

Just a heads up for you folks, maybe there are some terrible books that you want out of your library to exchange for different books. I didn't ask for money though, but I didn't want it either.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Yep, being able to return books I hated is one of the best things about Amazon owning Audible. Amazon treats their customers like kings and this is another example of that. I doubt you can constantly return all your books when you're finished with them but it's pretty awesome when you get a dud.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Ice Phisherman posted:

and Lev Grossman's The Magicians (I wanted to like this book, but it pushed far past the deep end for smugness and self-indulgence).

Just a heads up for you folks, maybe there are some terrible books that you want out of your library to exchange for different books. I didn't ask for money though, but I didn't want it either.
Unfortunately, the smugness and self-indulgence of the characters is entirely the point of that novel.

Thanks a ton for the heads-up though, I've got some regrettably terrible books that I picked up from the sci-fi thread etc, which ended up being unreadable/unlistenable.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Wind-Up Girl or anything else by Paulo Bacalagupi is great. Only problem with Wind Up Girl is that the narrator is INCREDIBLY slow, only way I could stand it was by putting my mp3 player on fast mode, which made him sound more British (a plus for a book set in Thailand).

His other books are great, even his recent YA series. His short stories book (Pump Six) is out in audiobook form now too, and it is awesome.

The New Black
Oct 1, 2006

Had it, lost it.

Syrinxx posted:

Yep, being able to return books I hated is one of the best things about Amazon owning Audible. Amazon treats their customers like kings and this is another example of that. I doubt you can constantly return all your books when you're finished with them but it's pretty awesome when you get a dud.

I was only able to return two through the website and after that a message pops up asking me to call them up if I want to return any more.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Picked up John Dies at the End on audible. Narration is excellent, book is ridiculous and I've definitely been cracking up a lot at work while listening to it.

Rand Ecliptic
May 23, 2003

Jesus Saves! - And Takes Half Damage!!
Does anyone have a recommendation on a good reading of The Great Gatsby? Looking at Audible I see 4 versions. Anthony Heald, Tim Robbins, Jake Gyllenhaal, and William Hope. Any experiences with any of these? Thanks!

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Rand Ecliptic posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation on a good reading of The Great Gatsby? Looking at Audible I see 4 versions. Anthony Heald, Tim Robbins, Jake Gyllenhaal, and William Hope. Any experiences with any of these? Thanks!

I thought you said Anthony Head and squeeed.

I haven't listened, but in general avoid screen actors unless they've done good voice work besides.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
Audible has been releasing the Mazalan Book of the Fallen series and the voice actor(Ralph Lister) has been doing a really great job. Only 3 books from the mains series and 1 from the prequel trilogy have been released so far though. Also the prequel trilogy has a different voice actor that just doesn't compare.

SnowDog
Oct 26, 2004
I just finished Pathfinder by Orson Scott Card. I love the narrator set they had for this book, great stuff.

I went to borrow the next one from the library and no dice, not available (yet?). Maybe this will be the book that pushes me over the edge to get Audible...

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
Over the last week I have been listening to The Lies of Locke Lamora which was narrated by Michael Page and I just have to say it is one of the best audiobooks I have listened too. Page does a really great job of narrating all the different characters and conveys the wit and humour of the book fantastically.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Page does an awesome job on the Chathrand Voyage audiobooks too.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

savinhill posted:

Page does an awesome job on the Chathrand Voyage audiobooks too.

He reads Joe Abercrombie's stuff too, finished Red Country the other day. A seriously excellent reader.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Kojiro posted:

He reads Joe Abercrombie's stuff too, finished Red Country the other day. A seriously excellent reader.
He reads the US version, but is SERIOUSLY outclassed by Steven Pacey who does the UK versions. Pacey is a far, far better narrator for Abercrombie.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

Bhodi posted:

He reads the US version, but is SERIOUSLY outclassed by Steven Pacey who does the UK versions. Pacey is a far, far better narrator for Abercrombie.

This is sadly so true, I love Page and have purchased audiobooks solely because he was the narrator but Steven Pacey is hands down the better choice when picking between the two.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Is there another company out there like Graphic Audio (taking books and turning them into full cast audiobooks/dramas), regardless of genre? I know of a few independent books out there, but not another company dedicated to it.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
How are those? I tried one of Graphic Audio's audiobooks but it wasn't that great. That was like 5 years ago and the book itself wasn't good to begin with so that might have been the cause.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Clinton1011 posted:

How are those? I tried one of Graphic Audio's audiobooks but it wasn't that great. That was like 5 years ago and the book itself wasn't good to begin with so that might have been the cause.

They can get a bit too over the top with the action scenes, especially when they add in music to them, but they're usually not too bad. The main problem is the lovely books, but I'll listen to a lot of GA's books when I wouldn't read them to save my life because the production value and cast make them pop (to me at least). Fortunately most of their decent to good stuff is in the Sci-Fi/Fantasy section, so I'm usually pretty happy, but stay the hell away from their Western/Action/Post-Apoc stuff.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

SnowDog posted:

I just finished Pathfinder by Orson Scott Card. I love the narrator set they had for this book, great stuff.

I went to borrow the next one from the library and no dice, not available (yet?). Maybe this will be the book that pushes me over the edge to get Audible...

You should. The second one came out on Audible, October 30th. Only $12.25 for members. About the price of a physical paperback here. :canada:
All it does is raise more questions. :tinfoil:

It's one of my favourite traits of Scott Card novels.
His books all deal with the themes of secrets, personal agendas, control of information, and the manipulation of others- for good or ill.
One can never be sure of the intentions of others, yet many are the times and people one has to take a chance on, and trust. Sometimes it works, and other times, well...

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Apr 13, 2013

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

nessin posted:

They can get a bit too over the top with the action scenes, especially when they add in music to them, but they're usually not too bad. The main problem is the lovely books, but I'll listen to a lot of GA's books when I wouldn't read them to save my life because the production value and cast make them pop (to me at least). Fortunately most of their decent to good stuff is in the Sci-Fi/Fantasy section, so I'm usually pretty happy, but stay the hell away from their Western/Action/Post-Apoc stuff.

Can you recommend any in those two genres? I wanted to try some GA books again. I originally tried the Deathstalker series and never could finish it.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Clinton1011 posted:

Can you recommend any in those two genres? I wanted to try some GA books again. I originally tried the Deathstalker series and never could finish it.

Yeah, that is one of the worst. If you've never read/listened to the original Deathstalker series it's worth checking out, but Graphic Audio only has the second series.

The one's I've listened to and enjoyed enough to recommend them (although most are only average from a writing perspective):
Night Angel, Serrano Legacy, Vatta's War, Saga of the First King, Demon Cycle/Demon Wars Saga, Elantris, Warbreaker, and I'm currently listening to the Demon Cycle which is turning out decently enough.

Edit:
There are a few others that should be good although I never picked them up because I'd already read the books. Also they've recently started the Jig (Goblin Trilogy) which, unless they royally screwed it up, would be tailor made for hilarity in the GA format.

Unless you've already read them I'd recommend picking up Elantris or Warbreaker. They're your cheapest option as individual books instead of a series, they're a good representation of what you get out of GraphicAudio in general, and the books themselves are good to start with.

nessin fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Apr 13, 2013

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
I just got lasik and today my eyes are so dry and blurry I just want to keep them closed and listen to a book but they are so expensive! I was looking at that book someone posted at the top, Theft of Swords: Riyria Revelations, Book 1 and it's like $42 unless I want to try out a audible subscription :|

edit:

quote:

Now you can switch back and forth between reading the Kindle book and listening to the Audible audiobook. Learn more
Add the professional narration of Theft of Swords (Riyria Revelations) for a reduced price of $3.99 after you buy this Kindle book.
wait, so I buy the kindle edition, then I add that stuff? So much cheaper it doesn't make sense

Danith fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Apr 15, 2013

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

It's digital download with barely any overhead, so any additional sale is high-margin profit.
Same strategy with combo meals. Sure, you're saving money over buying a burger, fries, and drink separately... but you're still spending more money in total than if you'd only bought the burger.

The Audible subscription is totally worth it. Two books for ~$12 each every month, and 30% off everything.
Then you've got $4.99 deals, Half-Off promotions, 2/3-for-1 deals, the free NYT/WSJ subscription, free short stories...

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Apr 15, 2013

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Danith posted:

I just got lasik and today my eyes are so dry and blurry I just want to keep them closed and listen to a book but they are so expensive! I was looking at that book someone posted at the top, Theft of Swords: Riyria Revelations, Book 1 and it's like $42 unless I want to try out a audible subscription :|
Do a trial subscription, get the Riyira book free (a great book and a great narrator), then you will be hooked and realized Audible owns and is well worth it.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Danith posted:

If you go to a book store and look at the price in the audiobook section (or just the price of a new and popular hardcover), $42 doesn't seem out of place at all. Treat audible like netflix which also has sales no their stock, for good deals, sometimes.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Syrinxx posted:

Do a trial subscription, get the Riyira book free (a great book and a great narrator), then you will be hooked and realized Audible owns and is well worth it.

Just finished the 3rd book (aka 6th) of the Riyria series yesterday. A fun and entertaining fantasy series even if it was predictable and writing was technically weak. I'll probably grab the prequels when they come out on Audible.

dema fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Apr 16, 2013

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
If you're budget conscious, most libraries still offer audiobooks. Sometimes on CD, some even have apps you can listen to them on. Some even on tape still, if you can find something to play it on.

And :filez:, if you're of the unsavory nature. But really, audible is great. Especially if you go through books while commuting or whatever, consistently multiple hours a week.

Edit: just realized, it's going to be hard for you to drive to the library....

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Apr 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
^ Hah, actually I can drive just really dry eyes the last couple of days is making close-up things blurry. I got some heavier-duty eye drops that seem to help a bit better then the other ones I had.

On topic though, I went with the kindle + audio thing which was a good price. I'm used to reading books so this is an interesting experience. I find it's a bit harder to remember the characters names and some small details but I can tell them apart by the voices :) . I'm not sure I'm a fan of the accent (he makes the priest sound like a total moron imo) but it's grown on me.