Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Johnny Law posted:

I'm not completely up to speed on how Quake mappers ply their trade these days. func_msgboard is undoubtedly the place to go with any interesting questions (e.g. http://celephais.net/board/view_thread.php?id=4 ). Possibly also some info available at quakeone.com (e.g. http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-help/servers-coding/6630-best-quake-1-map-editor-noob-2011-a.html ) and/or quakeworld.nu (e.g. http://www.quakeworld.nu/forum/topic/4738 ).

From a bit of searching it seems like an old pre-Hammer version of WorldCraft can be adapted to use for Quake as you mentioned (maybe Hammer can be too?), and GtkRadiant has a Quake mode, and there's also a passle of other more "niche" editors that still have fans like QuArK, BSP, and Qoole. GtkRadiant is proooobably the only one still in active development?

(Edit: I've used GtkRadiant for Quake 3 and it is a good tool.)

Beyond editor selection there'll also be the question of setting up the proper toolchain for compiling the map. Like http://www.quaddicted.com/tools/map_compilers or http://disenchant.net/utils.html .

Hey if anyone's still thinking about fiddling with Quake 1 mapmaking, I ran across this nice article about the toolchain for the build process: http://spawnhost.wordpress.com/tutorials/compiling-a-quake-1-map/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I was reading up on Doom and looking at its source but I am horrible at programming (only took two semesters of java), but does Doom build the bsp as it loads the level? It seems like all later id games have a program that creates a bsp which the engine loads later.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

SPACE HOMOS posted:

I was reading up on Doom and looking at its source but I am horrible at programming (only took two semesters of java), but does Doom build the bsp as it loads the level? It seems like all later id games have a program that creates a bsp which the engine loads later.

I guess I should let somebody else that knows for certain comment, but I'm think that the BSP is created during a map compile phase for Doom era as well. (Half life era too, I think). The sectors and everything need to be laid out in the WAD already and structured in the tree, so the map program has to do that before the game is able to, AFAIK. Course with modern sourceports everything is thrown out the window, you could totally write a sourceport that behaves differently.

I do believe that Quake 3 would create a navmesh for AI on the fly each time you load the map up, which is similar.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Well I know map lumps are broken into definitions for vertices, linedefs, sidedefs, and sector properties. I think there is also a 'SEGMENTS' area and would it be safe to assume that these are the leafs of the bsp?

Edit: It looks like for UDMF maps that the bulk of the map is plain text but there is a ZNODES that define segments and nodes (built by zdbsp?)

I guess I am answering my own question here. Zdoom has a built in node builder (zdbsp) that creates nodes if they are not present in the wad. And nodes are the branches of the bsp.

SPACE HOMOS fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jan 23, 2013

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012

Yodzilla posted:

Man I tried to play ZPC a few years ago after seeing it way back when in magazines thinking it looked really cool. What a terrible game.

Really? That sucks. I always wanted to play ZPC based on the art style.

So, I download Community Chest 4. What am I in for, goons?

czg
Dec 17, 2005
hi

Mak0rz posted:

Hahah oh god... was this a huge thing with the community years ago or something?

It still is. It didn't help that John Romero said they don't, and American McGee said they do.

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
One of the best mods for quake 2 that I wish would get incorporated into newer games is qpong. Basically a mish-mash of pong and quake 2, really it played like an aggressive version of soccer with railguns. TF2 would be perfect for this type of game mode.

http://qpong.hypexr.org/

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ColoradoCleric posted:

One of the best mods for quake 2 that I wish would get incorporated into newer games is qpong. Basically a mish-mash of pong and quake 2, really it played like an aggressive version of soccer with railguns. TF2 would be perfect for this type of game mode.

http://qpong.hypexr.org/

Interesting, reminds me of the never released team multiplayer mode for Portal 2. I feel like it would get old, but yeah, mix it in with TF2...

I mean that's not really all that different from payload. Which is itself just an automated version of The_Hunted

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Zaphod42 posted:

Interesting, reminds me of the never released team multiplayer mode for Portal 2. I feel like it would get old, but yeah, mix it in with TF2...

I mean that's not really all that different from payload. Which is itself just an automated version of The_Hunted

What made it fun and chaotic was that damage from weapons would provide the motion, it was hilariously easy to use a double barrel shotgun or railgun and send it flying like a bowling ball and gibbing people.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

CowboyAndy posted:

So, I download Community Chest 4. What am I in for, goons?

32 really good levels that play respectably nicely with gameplay mods, although some are pretty huge - don't try and marathon everything on just one life without saves.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Dominic White posted:

don't try and marathon everything on just one life without saves.
Agreed, you should play each cc4 map from a pistol start as god intended.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

Dominic White posted:

32 really good levels that play respectably nicely with gameplay mods, although some are pretty huge - don't try and marathon everything on just one life without saves.
MAP32 is honest-to-god one of the cleverest maps I've ever seen. The way the level geometry keeps constantly changing and shifting is mindblowing.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Cat Mattress posted:

No load order is going to magically add fatalities and other Brutal Doomishness to the custom monsters included, though, and you'll break the "class selection" part of the mod (admittedly a minor part).

Oh no, you're right, it's definitely not a perfect solution. Since a lot of WADs add new creatures (and these creatures don't respond to Brutal Doom's fatalities or headshots) I just accept it as a side effect of combining the two+ WADs. I don't usually use the BD "fatalities" anyway, since I think they break up the pace too much and are sort of ridiculous.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
Has anyone played Crack-Life mod for Half-Life yet? I'm sorry, but it just cracks me up.

Commander Keenan fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jan 23, 2013

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Thinking of Half-Life mods, I just played through Poke646 again and was blown away at how good it was even today. Every time I got to a point that I remembered was horrible it turned out to be one map or sometimes fifteen seconds of gameplay. Everything just kind of flows quickly together and ends before it can outstay its welcome.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

bbcisdabomb posted:

Thinking of Half-Life mods, I just played through Poke646 again and was blown away at how good it was even today. Every time I got to a point that I remembered was horrible it turned out to be one map or sometimes fifteen seconds of gameplay. Everything just kind of flows quickly together and ends before it can outstay its welcome.

God what a dumb name, though. Do you know how long it took me to realize that "Poke646" wasn't a low-effort mod named after some douche's screen name? A long time.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

bbcisdabomb posted:

The sequel is plain friggin' fantastic, too. (And gives you some actual weapons. :V) The level design is just amazing, and even on my POS Compaq at the time, it looked smoother and cleaner than regular ol' Half-Life.

^ I thought Poke646 was some Pokemon mod, for a long time. :V

(on a vague sidenote, I'm kind of hoping the new ROTT allows mods, because I really disliked how anemic the basic pistol and machine gun looked in the original ROTT. The new machine gun looks much better, but the dumb gun nerd in me still frowns on Makarovs.)

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
I just realised that Gears of War stole the Sprocket launcher from Nehahra. Grrr.

By the way, if anyone is just getting in to old-school Quake 1 SP, I heartily recommend Damaul6(needs Zërstorer)and Czg07.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

So what's the opinion on the Pain Killer series here anyway?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Pretty loving awesome as long as you're only talking about the PCF developed games.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.
Yeah they go into 90 degree and beyond free fall when you start looking at Overdose and what came after it.

They're still loving making them too. Last one came out on Halloween.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

Yeah they go into 90 degree and beyond free fall when you start looking at Overdose and what came after it.

They're still loving making them too. Last one came out on Halloween.

So you mean they get worse STARTING with Overdose or everything AFTER Overdose? I got the first 4 last year on impulse and was wondering if I wasted ten bucks.

Also the one that started you off in a church or something sucked balls, I had trouble figuring out where to go and you shouldn't see an enemy just pop into existence without any drat effects, they could of at least used a sparkle or something, anything, other then then just appearing.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.
Oh sorry, starting with Overdose. The original game and battle out of hell are really the only ones worth playing.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Yeah that's one of those game opinions that there's a lot of agreement on. Like, you'll find some folks who prefer Invisible War to Deus Ex, but the conventional wisdom is pretty strong the other way. Seems like it's similarly rare to find anyone who prefers (or even much likes) the Painkiller stuff after BOOH.

But Painkiller + BOOH (or "Painkiller Black") are drat good fun. One of the few games to nail the "rampage" style of FPS.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
I got given PK: Hell & Damnation for Christmas. It has online co-op so I can't fault it too much. I just wish they'd kept the original monsters instead of removing some.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Zero Star posted:

MAP32 is honest-to-god one of the cleverest maps I've ever seen. The way the level geometry keeps constantly changing and shifting is mindblowing.

Oh man im gonna have to try that level out then.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
In other, more brutal news, SgtMarkwhatever adds yet more ridiculous features to a decades-old game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXXNz7vnsCo&list=UU_NSOckDnuypJK_FpCO6ogA&index=1

Oh my.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

ChickenHeart posted:

In other, more brutal news, SgtMarkwhatever adds yet more ridiculous features to a decades-old game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXXNz7vnsCo&list=UU_NSOckDnuypJK_FpCO6ogA&index=1

Oh my.

I'm a big fan of stylish action games, and nothing made me smile like Bayonetta finally going "what if taunting monsters...pissed them the gently caress off?". I'm hoping that it gives you more than a 2-3~ seconds long window of opportunity fire though.

ZedSlayer
Apr 28, 2012

"Take him"

hah, that's brilliant. Though that burst of anger looks pretty dangerous if you're careless.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

toasterwarrior posted:

I'm a big fan of stylish action games, and nothing made me smile like Bayonetta finally going "what if taunting monsters...pissed them the gently caress off?". I'm hoping that it gives you more than a 2-3~ seconds long window of opportunity fire though.

As someone pointed out in the comments, a pissed off cyberdemon firing wildly would be pretty great if you're trying to cause infighting.

Considering that it's someone elses sprite, and originally based off a long-lost (or at least now-unusable) clay model, the animation on the cyberdemon is pretty great, too. The way it cocks its head in disbelief, and stretches out its fingers while it's roaring? Nice details.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
So me and a buddy finished up with Back to Saturn X with Brutal Doom, and god drat it was a blast.

Would like to know if the author has the music setup anywhere for download, so many catchy tracks. And if anyone knows how to get to the secret level, the level that you need to be on to access it would be appreciated unless more details are kinda needed. :3:

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Shadowmorn posted:

So me and a buddy finished up with Back to Saturn X with Brutal Doom, and god drat it was a blast.

Would like to know if the author has the music setup anywhere for download, so many catchy tracks. And if anyone knows how to get to the secret level, the level that you need to be on to access it would be appreciated unless more details are kinda needed. :3:

You can use SLADE to export the midi files from the wad, then play them through a midi player or use a program to convert it to another file type like mp3. Any wad can have its music unpacked.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Shadowmorn posted:

Did you find a solution to the issue where BTSX will conflict a little with the pallette that Brutal Doom uses? Certain sprites - not too many or too intrusive - will have random pink-ish pixels.

DoctorOfLawls
Mar 2, 2001

SA's Brazilian Diplomat
Long shot, but are there any graphic enhancements mods in the vein of GZDoom for Dark Forces?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

DoctorOfLawls posted:

Long shot, but are there any graphic enhancements mods in the vein of GZDoom for Dark Forces?

Dark XL (XLEngine) has some smoothing and filtering options.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Dominic White posted:

Did you find a solution to the issue where BTSX will conflict a little with the pallette that Brutal Doom uses? Certain sprites - not too many or too intrusive - will have random pink-ish pixels.

I... honestly never saw anything like that. Heres my setup if it helps at all. :v:

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Shadowmorn posted:

I... honestly never saw anything like that. Heres my setup if it helps at all. :v:

Just tried running it in Zandronum instead of GZDoom (a clean install, and tried both software and hardware modes) - same issue. It's not a big deal or anything - you generally won't notice it unless you're looking for it, but a good way to test is try Brutal Doom by itself and fire the rifle a few times - the shell casings are universally brown-ish. Try it in BTSX, and they're mostly brown but with a couple of pinkish-purple pixels mixed in there.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jan 26, 2013

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

ChickenHeart posted:

Oh my.

I hate to stroke my own ego, but it's so loving satisfying to hear my voice and see it piss off the big badass of hell's army that badly.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Dominic White posted:

Brutal Doom uses the base Doom palette, but BTSX has a custom palette which is a bit incompatible. That's why they include all the game's sprites, repaletted, to fit.

A solution would be to open the Brutal Doom mod in SLADE 3, convert all graphics to PNG so that they no longer rely on an external palette, and save.

Speaking of which:

MrBims posted:

You can use SLADE to export the midi files from the wad, then play them through a midi player or use a program to convert it to another file type like mp3. Any wad can have its music unpacked.

If, as usual, mancubus.net is down, you can get the latest builds of SLADE 3 here.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jan 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glam bam rock
Jun 2, 2009

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww
WHAM BAM THANK YA GLAM

Shadowmorn posted:

It's accessed from MAP15, same as any ordinary Doom II mapset. I don't remember the details off-hand as there are a lot of secrets on that map and I don't know which ones you need to do to open the secret gate.