Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

Super-League VIII, Dynamo League Week 19: Destiny

Games of the Week

Don May posted:

WRATH OF COBURN FALLS UPON LOSERS

Rockford- Those who believe in Coburn are given new life, and woe unto those who doubt his power.

With a 17-3 win, the Coburns made a powerful statement to the Losers; that the Senor Goodtimes Division was far from settled, and that the Coburns were coming to take the division title from the two-time defending champion Losers.

The Coburns outplayed the Losers in every phase of the game, destroying the Losers pitchers they faced as well as amassing 17 runs on the day. The game was never really that close, as the Coburns led 9-1 after only four innings, and simply kept piling on for the rest of the game, showing no mercy to the powerful, and often vengeful, Losers.

That did not sit well with Losers' owner and the commander of the Northwest Illinois Empire, Lord Mayor Humungus, "Warm Sarsaparilla, three times a failure in this Super-League. The Cutthroats, the Comancheros, the Radbourns, buried disappointments all. And now you would proclaim yourself my rival, and march into my own domain and seek to humiliate me? Warm Sarsaparilla, you are a fool. I would have gladly allowed you a wildcard spot, allowed you a taste of playoff glory, but now? Now you and your team must pay. You must pay a terrible price for your arrogance. But I am a just man, Warm Sarsaparilla. Grant us tribute of one of your players, and I will reserve my harshest penalty. There can be little doubt in your mind, Warm Sarsaparilla, that against my full might, you and your team stand no chance. Not even your supposed god, the great James Coburn, can save you. Give me what I am owed for your disrespect, and you will be allowed to live. Deny me this, and only death and destruction can possibly await. Do not punish your men for your mistake, Warm Sarsaparilla, surrender to me, and spare them. I give three of your days to decide."

But Warm Sarsaparilla had no use for the Losers' ultimatum, "I fear no man or team! For there is only one force in the cosmos that deserves my allegiance. Oh mighty Coburn, I thank you for these victories, every great deed that I do, I do because you have willed me to do them. Every glory is yours, merely refracted through me and my team. You have taken us so far, Coburn, you have made the Comancheros and Radbourns truly whole, and you have led us to the threshold of greatness. And on this precipice, the impious may pray that you grant them just a little more glory. But they are the wickedest men of all, for they assume that your can be cajoled, persuaded into doing their works, granting them favors. No, mighty Coburn, if I am to succeed, then it will be because you will it to be. If I fail, it will because your plans required it to be so, and if that is the case, then I accept my fate, I accept my team's fate, and I do so with pleasure. Humungus! You make a demand of my team, you demand I surrender to you, but I have already surrendered to another. Praise you, James Coburn, and your almighty aura of relaxed masculinity!"

GAME NOTES

-Nolan Ryan had the worst game of the season, giving up 10 runs in five innings as he found himself unable to cope with the patient Coburns' lineup

-Jorge Posada struck out four times in five at-bats, making Don Slaught look all the more viable as a starting catcher.

-Did you know that Rockford was founded by Jim Rockford, a private investigator once falsely convicted for a crime that he did not commit?

Box Score

Don May posted:

KERRY BILLINGSLEY EXPERIMENT GOES TERRIBLY WRONG! DERVISHES LOSE 11-3

Dubai- Kerry Billingsley has doomed the Dervishes!

Well, maybe 'doomed' is slightly too strong a word, but it certainly did not do them much good, as the rookie gave up five earned runs in less than six innings as the Spooners easily dispatched the Dervishes 11-3.

Billingsley had some strong words after the game, "Listen, man, I tried my fuckin' best. It's not easy being me, you know. I'm pretty sure that I don't even really exist! I'm living on the edge! At any second, I could just disappear, man! I'm just a piles of numbers, just some sort of weird non-person that the Super-League created to fill space. I was never meant to do anything, I wasn't meant to pitch, I was just supposed to fill a gap in the data! Come on, Beet, I can't actually help you, man!"

For his part, Beet tried to justify the use of a filler player as a starter through his new interpreter Johnny Bench, "The Great and Majestic Beet wants you to know that while, perhaps, the debut of Kerry Billingsley did not go according to plan, it was still a risk worth taking, and one that any other owner would have done." Bench then conferred with Beet for a minute, "The Great and Majestic Beet also wants you to know that the lesser teams of the Super-League, and that includes the owner of the Spooners, UZWorm, that if we go down into the Gauntlet, that we will win, and that means the rest of you will lose. So, for you own sakes, the Great Beet wishes you to no longer oppose him, lest you be relegated by him at a later date."

UZWorm, whose Spooners made a great turnaround, mainly thanks to no longer starting Topper Rigney, gave some slightly more practical advice, "You know, April is coming, and that's why it's time to make sure you have all of your tax information in order, giving your self plenty of time to fill out your 1040, and any other supplemental tax forms that you might want to take a look at and see if there isn't some sort of deduction that might reduce your tax liability for 2012. Personally, I like to set aside a few weekends for that, but I will admit, I do like to double-check my work. Well, I hope this interview has been very informative for you. Thank you, and good night."

GAME NOTES

-Doc White is actually a doctor of human geography.

-Willie Kamm had a very, very bad day. And that made him feel very, very sad...because alcohol consumption is heavily regulated in Dubai.

Box Score

Hardcore Title Defenses: The Bangers Kill Everyone

: Welcome, ladies and gentlemen, to a very special contest. This three-game series will decide the fate of all four secondary titles in the Dynamo League, and should either team sweep, they will become the first Tetra-Champion in Super-League history! This series will be between the Intercontinental Champion San Juan Elephants and the European, United States and Hardcore Champion, they are the winners of the Super-League III, and the most villainous team that ever was...the Fukuoka Finger-Bangers!
: And the Bangers are the heavy favorites here, but the Elephants do have some things going for them. They will only lose the Intercontinental Title on a sweep, and if they can win two out of three games, they can win the Hardcore belt. If the Bangers are going to add another title to their collection, they'll need to win all three games.
: And the Bangers will lead things off with a dominating 7-1 victory.
: That's disappointing for the Elephants, because they'll have to go up against Addie Joss and Nolan Ryan in the next two games.

: Bangers win again, 6-1, and if they can win the next game, they'll have all the titles!
: And the Elephants are just having an impossible time trying to cope with the talent of the Bangers. But, right now, they don't need to worry about who has the better team. All that matters now is one more game. If the Elephants can win just this one game, they'll be able to retain the Intercontinental Title.

: Bangers win! Bangers win! Another 6-1 blowout, and they have the Intercontinental Title, they have the European Title, they have the United States Title, they have the Hardcore Title! They've got all of the gold, and one has to wonder if anyone can stop them now.
: It's hard to say. It really is.

: But there's one team who isn't ready to accept this Bangers' triumph, and it's their oldest rivals, the Cleveland Unicorns!
: And Deacon Phillippe will take Game 1, and the Bangers are in for a fight.

: Bangers edge Unicorns in Game 2.
: And that means that the Bangers will keep hold of those three titles that can only change hands on a sweep, but the Unicorns can still do some damage by winning the series and taking the Hardcore Title back home with them.

: Or maybe not, as the Bangers win again and will be keeping the Hardcore Title as well.
: The Unicorns aren't losing by much, but they're losing all the same.

: And the Bangers are just too much for the Unicorns, and they'll win this series outright 3 games to 1. Can anyone stop the Finger-Bangers now?
: Well, there are a few contenders. The Losers were able to beat them last year in the playoffs and neither team has changed all that much sense them. The Coburns would be underdogs, but they would have a chance. And it's possible that a team like the Tornados, which is so different from the teams the Bangers usually face, could get by them. Still, the Bangers have to be considered the prohibitive favorites to win the Dynamo League right now.

: Well, we'll find out just how well the Tornados stack up against the Bangers very soon, as that will be the next Hardcore Title defense leading off next week. After that, we'll have either the Bangers-Imperialists or Tornados-Unicorns.

Team Statistics

Analysis

Low OBP kills.

Analysis

I'm going to put Waner back in the lineup because watching Oliva struggle and kill your team hurts my eyes.

Analysis

We all know this is ending in an epic Gauntlet run. Show me your true Imperialist spirit, Viscount Slim! Take up the Gauntlet man's burden!

Analysis

Okay, it's time to see just how loving good your team really is, because the Bangers look pretty unbeatable right now.

Analysis

Frustrating, but the Unicorns still have the inside track on a wildcard spot, which would be their first playoff appearance in what seems like forever.

Analysis

Getting the wildcard? Yeah, that would be nice, but winning the division? Now that is what you want.

Analysis

Things have nearly gotten out of hand, but Earl Averill is back to set things right...hopefully.

Analysis

Tough division, but that's not going to save you from the Gauntlet.

Analysis

Pedro is just a bit too young to be reliable, hence the 2-13 record.

Analysis

Rex Mundi.

Analysis

This team always seems to be better than it should be. Then again, there's nothing wrong with being more than the sum of one's parts.

Analysis

The offense is just a bit too anemic. Still, you've got some time to move up the standings.

Analysis

This about sums up the Generics season.

Analysis

If only the Coburns would die, I'd imagine you'd feel a bit more comfortable.

Analysis

Okay, that was a depressing sweep against the Bangers, but at least you came back against the Bloggers.

Analysis

It feels like every season, some owner thinks they can out-think the Super-League. Occasionally, they can. But when your cunning plan involves putting Milt Pappas in a four-man rotation, then I think you've made a grave error in judgment.

Standings and Leaders

Playoff/Gauntlet Seedings

A. Demand Marauder produce a gyros right now! - 4 votes

B. Punch Marauder in the face, dude has it coming! - 2 votes

C. Grudgingly agree to help...but there better not be a loving Anti-Marauder involved... - 6 votes

"You have made the right decision, Mark Grace." Marauder seemed pleased, "Now, meet the rest of the team I have assembled for this mission to save the universe! Marauder gestured towards his cross-dimensional squad of Super-League All-Stars.

"You are likely familiar with the Eri Yoshida of Earth-1", Marauder gestured towards Yoshida, who owns the world's slowest fastball, "And quite likely you've met the Mark Bellhorn of Earth-C, that would be the world where the original 2003 Cubs playthrough took place in." Mark Bellhorn stood there silently, as he was wont to do, his Cubs uniform covering the suit of chainmail he typically wore under his shirt. The Bell-Sword, a magical weapon that was half-baseball bat, half-mace, and all-confusingly named, hung by his side.

"Wait, wait, is there really going to be continuity?" Mark Grace said with more than a hint of frustration, "I mean, holy gently caress, who cares which Earth is which! This is the sort of poo poo that made the last 20 years of DC Comics suck!"

Marauder responded back with some annoyance of his own, "Hey, continuity is important! For example, it's important to recognize that this is the Mark Bellhorn that hung around with Smasher and the Cubs, and not the one who's on the Eazy W's. They're two different people!"

Amazingly, this did little to make Grace happier with the situation, "Wait a loving minute, didn't Mark Bellhorn die at the end of the Cubs playthrough? I'm pretty sure that he got killed off, so how the hell is he here now?"

Marauder furrowed his brow, he hadn't expected Grace to ask him that question, "Well, it's very complicated. Time and space aren't absolute, you see, so..."

DECISION TIME

Will Mark Grace...

A. Demand Marauder reconcile continuity out of spite!

B. Try and see if there is an Earth-Gyros!

C. Meet the rest of Marauder's Cross-Dimensional Team of Heroes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem

Smasher Dynamo posted:

For the record, the Spooners-Failures trade was approved, so no, the Cultists can't bid.

All right, was about to ask! #RoadTo500 #RoadToGauntlet

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I'm betting on Radbourn being in the line up. He's got to be.

C! Who cares about the detailsexcept for the crazy cool lore-tying bits, we have a team to meet and a multiverse to save!

Monathin fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jan 23, 2013

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
C

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
C.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

C Maybe Marauder knows where to find a Reggie Jackson that does not suck.

Viscount Slim
Mar 9, 2012
I feel good about a Gauntlet run, but I worry about bad rolls. Some of my guys are pretty drat inconsistent. And besides, even an 80% chance nine times in a row isn't something you want to hang your hat on.

C

I should probably rest Eddie Collins with Polanco - send down Michael Young. My (starting) pitching's never been better, I just can't enough of an offense.

Pete Ladd
Mar 9, 2012
C, I'm enjoying this.

Make Brooks Robinson the strong side of the 3B platoon (i.e. vs. RHP).

Congratulations to the Bangers, I am looking forward to many brief occasions wearing the Triple Crown (or reigns as its component champions, assuming the likely outcome).

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!
C, also go Yoshida and Saint!

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
Do that thing you said you would do in my team analysis (Waner back in for Oliva).

Also, C

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

A

vs. Righties

3B Mcgraw
LF Hamilton
CF Speaker
RF Snider
SS Banks
C Campanella
1B Kelley
2B Stephenson

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
: Excellent. Upon this coronation, permit me to caution my opponents, thusly: "Come not between the Marauder and his wrath." I ride to that destiny finally spun by giddy Fortune's furious fickle wheel.

Haha, that is an inspiring banner filename.

Rest Napoleon with Pop Lloyd, please. Yogi should have two days off in the Tornadoes series.

B, one cannot adventure on an empty stomach. Perhaps we should have drunk the rocket fuel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGNIXBd-kgU

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
Smasher, could you tell me who started my games this week, and in what order? In fact, looking at it, could you confirm that we somehow used a 3-man rotation this week? Is my Start On Short Rest slider at -5 as it should be? Did some kind of freak occurrence prevent Hendrix, Glavine, and Lolich from pitching a single inning combined?

Actually, I think it's a pretty commendable job by Pappas to give up just 6 ER over 12.2 IP in such a situation. Even more amazing, Old Hoss allowed just 2 ER in 14 IP (though we somehow managed to lose those games a combined 10-1, great job guys). Too bad about Bender allowing 12 runs in 11 innings. :gonk:

Anyway, the really important thing is, of course...

:siren: The Al McBean Watch :siren:

This week, Elite Reliever Al McBean pitched two scoreless innings, with strikeouts accounting for 4 of his 6 outs. That brings his seasonal total to 10.1 IP, 18 K, 0.00 ERA, 1 S! It's an Al McBean life!

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010

Alright, apparently Bentancourt is no good for me this year. Let's recall Roberto Hernandez and send down Bentancourt to bridge this last week of Bedrosian's injury stint.

Second matter of business is resting Thomas and Cronin before next week's series against the Bangers and Unicorns. Also, we're going to end Robinson's benching to see if he sucks less now and reset the vs LHP lineup because I have no idea what it is at this point. New lineups:

vs RHP
3B Frisch
LF Speaker
C Torre/Martinez
CF Charleston
RF Robinson
1B Youkilis
2B Alomar
SS Tejada
P Pitcher

vs LHP
2B Frisch
LF Speaker
RF Robinson
1B Thomas
CF Charleston
C Torre/Martinez
3B Youkilis
SS Cronin
P Pitcher

Voting for C!

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

This is no good. Two seasons of fringe contention and now I can't even get back to .500. poo poo. I'm going to give Kerry Billingsley at least one more week to figure it out, because it's not like I have any legitimately better options. With the return of Averill, I am going to shake up the lineup, however, in hopes I can get something, anything going.

vs. LHP

1. 3B Willie Kamm
2. LF Stan Musial
3. 2B Joe Morgan
4. 1B Buck Leonard
5. RF Vladimir Guerrero
6. CF Earl Averill
7. SS Cal Ripken
8. C Johnny Bench

vs. RHP

1. 3B Willie Kamm
2. LF Stan Musial
3. 2B Joe Morgan
4. 1B Buck Leonard
5. CF Earl Averill
6. RF Brian Giles
7. SS Cal Ripken
8. C Johnny Bench

To make room for Giles on the roster, just send Hoyt Wilhelm down to AAA, reducing bullpen size.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

While I wait for the cold, inevitable hand of relegation, voting C.

cucka
Nov 4, 2009

TOUCHDOWN DETROIT LIONS
Sorry about all
the bad posting.
It's not that complicated, you just used trans-dimensional chrono-melding to grab Belhorn from before his death, as initiated by the Bartman paradox, whereas when something wholly regrettable happens to you personally, an alternate universe is spawned where you have a 50/50 chance of continuing life, based on Grit and Heart, of course, as all things are.

Roll for gyros OBP Also, have any teams been abandoned? I'd like to do a lineup change for them if so. Just one. I'm not exactly sure how baseball works. That's the one with the wicket right? Some kind of sticks or something? And incredibly fashionable hats. Oh well, I watch pro wrestling a fair amount, I'm sure it's kinda the same thing.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Retuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurn the Slaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaab
Or Suffer my cuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurse...

This night, you will be visited by three plagues...
Each worse than the laaaaast...
Retuuuuuurn the slaaaaaaaab...

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp
An interdimensional team of superhero baseball players !?!? I vote C

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Back to a 5-man rotation this week due to last week's regrettable...whatever it was. gently caress the heck.

Old Hoss Radbourn
Chief Bender
Tom Glavine
Mickey Lolich
Claude Hendrix

Lolich should be set as the next starter. Please double-check that my Start On Short Rest slider is all the way down. Starters this week should go Lolich -> Hendrix -> Hoss -> Bender -> Glavine -> Lolich; any deviation will be most unfortunate.

Whichever of my catchers has the better splits vs LHP catches for Hoss and Lolich. The other guy catches for the other three starters.

We badly need to quit losing to bad teams and go at least 4-2 this week. We must stay in striking distance of the playoffs.

One more week.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Change to strategy. Updated values are bolded.

Strategy (Rate on a scale from -5 to +5)
Hit and Run: -2
Sacrifice Bunt: -5
Squeeze Play: -3
Trying for extra bases: +1
Stealing Bases: -1
Aggressively Tagging Up: 0
Pitch Outs (to prevent stolen bases): -1
Giving Intentional Walks: -2
Pitching Around Good Hitters: +1
Bringing the Infield In: 0
Guarding the Lines: +1
Making Cutoff Throws: +1
Bringing in Pinch Hitters: +1
Bringing in Pinch Runners: +1
Bringing in Defensive Replacements: -1
Starting Pitchers on Short Rest: 0
Letting pitchers pitch through trouble: 0
Letting Pitchers rack up high pitch counts: 0

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Oh, right, I have only away games this week, so I should change sliders too.

Hit & Run: -2
Sac Bunt: -3
Squeeze: -4

Extra Bases: 0
Steal: -2
Tag Up: 2

IBB: -2
Pitch Around: -1

Guard Lines: 0

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
Dynamo League Week 20 Injury Report

Coburns
Cliff Lee (SP) (Humungus did promise revenge!) - 29 days
Tom Henke (RP) (And he is a man of his word) - 16 days

Rockford Losers
Al Alburquerque (RP) (Name just too loving hard to spell) - 16 days

San Juan Elephants
Wade Boggs (3B) (When pre-game chicken goes terribly wrong!) - 33 days

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.
Voting for C.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Voting B.

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007
I have the update ready, and it will be up tomorrow as a replacement for a normal SL update, but I first want to apologize for two things:

1) The last two days have SUCKED for me which is why I was gone.
2) Any order to "put X back in the lineup when they are healthy" was missed by me this month. I'd resim but I already had the entire update written and screenshotted before I found out, and to be honest I can't think of a case where it SEVERELY affected a team's chances.

That being said, here's the:

Expansion Cup VIII Injury Report - July

Atlantis Aquamen
SP Josh Johnson (anybody out there?) - 9 days
LR Arthur Rhodes (Seriously) - 19 days
SP Phil Niekro (you have some injury issues to address) - 22 days

Canton Catastrophes
1B Jim Thome (wrote "hoot hoot hoot" down arm in Sharpie... and by "in Sharpie" I mean "with a box cutter") - 41 days

Harvard Elites
C Ted Simmons (Cram time!) - 4 days

Idaho Potatoes
2B Rogers Hornsby (...) - 18 days

Jacksonville Jobbers
DH Frank Howard (botch) - 2 days
2B Rod Carew (bigger botch) - 29 days
SP Johan Santana (well that settles that) - 67 days
SR Bob Locker (Found Guilty in Wrestler's Court) - 112 days

Lovable Losers
OF Peanuts Lowrey (little too much heckling from the gallery) - 67 days

Miami Manatees
3B Robin Ventura (I got nothin') - 2 days

Omaha Forgettables
SS Derek Jeter (Fractured wrist) - 22 days

Patagonian Postmodernists
SP Freddy Garcia (Ritual gone wrong) - 14 days
CL Tippy Martinez (Ritual gone wrong) - 14 days
SP Jhoulys Chacin (Scorekeeper pissed about having to write "Jhoulys") - 27 days
1B John Olerud (Trip to Antartica) - 79 days

RVA Beard Leaguers
SU Francisco Rodriguez (beard not to team specifications) - 8 days

Sad Pandas
SR Howie Pollet (Pollet's Pallets didn't do so well) - 7 days

Tijuana Mules
SP Fernando Valenzuela (Hiding from AZ Border Patrol) - 12 days

Walney Rakers
LF Burt Shotton (Shot at) - 10 days

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Grinnblade posted:

Canton Catastrophes
1B Jim Thome (wrote "hoot hoot hoot" down arm in Sharpie... and by "in Sharpie" I mean "with a box cutter") - 41 days

gently caress me running.

Paul Sorrento in for Thome for the duration of his injury. Let's hope he can cover Thome's major spot in the batting lineup.

You've got one chance, Paul, don't let me down next month!

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem

All right, bunch of things to do following that trade:

Lineup

Send Gallaraga down, replace him with Gonzalez. Do the same with Biggio, and put Del Pratt on the bench. Same for Willie Wilson and Lankford.

RF Harry Heilmann
CF Ty Cobb
1B Adrian Gonzalez
SS Joe Cronin
3B Scott Rolen
LF Ray Lankford
C Darrell Porter
2B Frank White
P --

Pitching

Send Pedro down and replace him with Oswalt.

SP1 Ed Walsh (R)
SP2 Johan Santana (L)
SP3 Frank Smith (R)
SP4 Doc White (L)
SP5 Roy Oswalt (R)

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Super-League VIII, Smasher League 19: The Amazing Adventures of El Greco Hombre

Games of the Week

Don May posted:

EAZY W'S MURDER CULTISTS 7-6

Bolton- The Cultists had a dream: overcoming the Eazy W's and winning the Norris-Smythe Division for the second straight season.

Dream denied.

With a 7-6 win, the W's completed a four game sweep of the Cultists, ballooning their lead to 12.5 games with only seven weeks left in the season. While the Cultists have a relatively easy schedule for the rest of the season, with only one series against the W's, Landers, Gumshoes and Phoenixes combined, the sheer size of the deficit does appear to put a division title out of reach for the Ryleh club.

Today's loss was emblematic of the season. The Cultists were able to get to Alexander, scoring five runs off him over seven innings, but the W's offense was even more effective, scoring six runs over the same span against Curt Schilling, and then adding another against Frank Tanana. That left the Cultists down 7-5 going into the top of the ninth, not a great situation to be in, but certainly a manageable one.

And the Cultists appeared ready to take advantage of this one last chance, as their hitters drew three straight walks to load the bases to start the inning. With the bases loaded and no outs, things were certainly up, and even a Hornsby pop up for the first out did not do much to blunt the momentum. Besides, the very next batter, Stan Musial, drew a walk to drive in a run and close the gap to 7-6. With one out, a one out deficit, and the bases loaded, things were definitely starting to tilt in the Cultists' favor. But Rob Dibble, despite having almost no command, managed to strike Albert Pujols out on a full count pitch, and then got new acquisition Mike Pizza to fly out to left to end the game, the bases still loaded, the Cultists still just one out away from tying the game.

CthulhuDreams, understandably, was livid after the game, and demanded answers, "Mike PIZZA? What is this? Is this some kind of joke? Did Smasher tamper with his ratings? Yes, that must be it! He cheated me! There's no way I could have lost that series like that fair and square...I worked too hard for this, did too many calculations, I should have won, I am smarter than ForeverBWFC, I built a better team! All he did was ride the corpse of the team Dusseldorf built! He did nothing! All he did was make stupid vanity trades over and over! I deserve to win, I put in the work! It is a travesty that a hard-working owner should be beaten by such a baseball dilettante! It's not fair at all!"

The spokesman for the Eazy W's disagreed, "Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you, the man who is finally going to lead the South Bolton Eazy W's to the promised land, he is the man, the legend, the sabermetric messiah, he is me, and I am...The Chosen Dunn! And finally, after so long, I have come to Bolton! And just look at what I have done this week! Three wins against the Air Raids and then four more against the Cultists, effectively locking up a playoff spot with a month and a half of the season left to play! We are the champions in waiting, and no one can stop us now! Not the Cultists, not the Landers, no matter how grumpy mrnoun gets, not the Gumshoes, because, let's be honest, I am ten times the hero that Brian Downing and Barry Larkin are, not the Mashers, who are apparently still a thing, and not the Phoenixes. No, this year, it is all about the W's, and no one is going to stop us now! My will be Dunn!"

GAME NOTES

-Pete Alexander picked up his 20th win of the season, giving him an otherworldly record of 20-1.

-Mike Pizza is probably about the same as Mike Piazza. Probably.

-All three extra-base hits by the W's were made by players with the last name of 'Simmons'. Coincidence? Absolutely.

-Duke Snider will return after next week, finally banishing Lloyd Moseby to the bench, from where it is hoped he shall never return.

Box Score

Don May posted:

WRITER'S BLOCK, LANDERS, DEFEAT BIOSPARKS 8-0

Enceladus- In a cosmic battle set far beyond the Earth's atmosphere, the Landers defeated the Biosparks 8-0.

It was not very exciting at all.

Landers' owner mrnoun told reporters that, "Holy gently caress, of course we won. We have a good team, the Biosparks aren't very good, this was bound to happen. That's all there is to it."

This was a solid argument, as, in fact, this particular game was not interesting in any way, not even when, in attempt to boost interest in the game, a horde of killer robots was released to menace those in attendance. Unfortunately, the robots, designed to operate in Earth, or at least near-Earth orbit, and so their were unable to get enough power from the solar collectors on Enceladus, leading to a complete collapse of the robot army.

Frustrated, the price of beer was then lowered to a nickel per glass, in hopes that many exciting drunken brawls would break out. Unfortunately, the people in attendance evidently did not feel much like drinking, and they remained relatively peaceful.

In a last ditch effort to make something, anything, happen, the dome's atmosphere was slowly depressurized, with the presumption that a stampede towards the exits would surely follow. In fact, the people watching the game somehow ignored their primal instincts of self-preservation, and remained in their seats, as if accepting their grim fate.

At this, it was agreed that it was impossible to make the game exciting in any way, and no further attempts would be made to change this.

In other news, a man came back from the future warning of dire consequences if the Luna Landers won the Super-League this season, noting that, "Only darkness could surely follow, and the rivers would run red with the blood of the damned." Per Super-League policy regarding predictions of an apocalyptic nature, the man was thrown into an oubliette located beneath Super-League headquarters, so that none else could hear his warnings. And, to be frank, this was not that exciting either.

GAME NOTES

-It's hard to come up with good ideas everyday, man! And some days you just can't come up with enough ideas, especially when you need to come up with them every day.

-No update tomorrow, I need to take a day off.

Box Score

Better than the TVIV

: If I can get through this update, I finally get a day off! So, let's get through this fast! Arguments are defending the TV Title against the Gumshoes, and the Gumshoes will win Game 1, as one bad inning from Butch Henry costs the Arguments the game.

: Eddie Plank throws a shutout, and that Gumshoes will win their second TV Title to go along with their Heavyweight Title.

: And the Gumshoes win once again, and they'll sweep the Arguments. How tragic.

: Well, the Commies are up next, and they'll at least avoid the sweep by winning Game 1.

: But the Commies lose big in Game 2, though they still have a chance to win the Television Title in the third game of this series.

: Unless Eddie Plank shuts them out. Once again, the dream of a world where labor owns the means of production has been crushed by Eddie Murray.

: That's it. Next week will be the Gumshoes-Smokers and then either the Gumshoes-Air Raids or Smokers-Maths. It's...probably not going to be the most exciting week.

Team Statistics

Analysis

Okay, that went as badly as it could have. Maybe put Cooper back in the rotation.

Analysis

If you had this lineup from the beginning of the year, you'd probably be doing better. I don't know that you'd be leading the division or anything, but probably better.

Analysis

Hernandez or McGriff would both be better at 1B...if you were still around, which you aren't.

Analysis

Well, that about wraps up the division.

Analysis

You still might survive the Gauntlet.

Analysis

The case is never going to be closed!

Analysis

Yeah, the Landers are going to make the playoffs by a lot.

Analysis

Your next six games are against the Eazy W's and the Cultists. So, well, building a team is tough. Your next team will be better.

Analysis

Not a great week, but the Cultists did worse, so the Mashers hold on to their playoff spot.

Analysis

I don't know what exactly, but you have to do something.

Analysis

If only you had just a little more luck.

Analysis

Mike Pizza has failed you!

Analysis

Good month, bad month, good month, bad month.

Analysis

Okay, this isn't going to work.

Analysis

Even your meddling can't blow this one.

Analysis

Your team ERA is over 5. I'm willing to wager that just might have something to do with your struggles.

Standings and Leaders

A. Demand Marauder reconcile continuity out of spite! - 1 vote

B. Try and see if there is an Earth-Gyros! - 3 votes

C. Meet the rest of Marauder's Cross-Dimensional Team of Heroes! - 12 votes

Mark Grace wasn't happy to have to meet the rest of these losers, but what choice did he have. "Moving on," Marauder said with his typical confidence, "Here is Johnny Hopp from Earth-4', an planet where animals learned to talk.

"That's right!" Grace was startled as the tiny white rabbit on the floor started talking to him, "And I can sort of play center field too!"

"Does the rabbit have any other powers, like laser eyes...or telekinesis?" Grace was getting frustrated.

Marauder, on the other hand, was starting to feel like things just might work out after all, "Well, no, but he's a rabbit who can talk! That has...uses, my friend."

"What uses!" Mark Grace was on the verge of losing it, "What possible uses could a talking rabbit have when you're trying to prevent the universe from being destroyed?"

Marauder sighed, "When the time is right, Mark, you will know. Oh, yes, you will know. Anyway, the last two members of the team are Rance Mullinix from Earth-78, where cyborgs evolved from men, and El Greco Hombre, who is from Earth-&, where pro wrestling and baseball are one and the same!" Marauder pointed out the last two members of the team, one a mechanized utility infielder, and the other one who was clearly Jack McDowell wearing a luchador mask.

Now Mark Grace had seen enough...

DECISION TIME

Will Mark Grace...

A. Accept this unlikely, ragtag band of heroes and save all of the universes!

B. Demand a better team!

C. Obligatory Gyros option!

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo's assistant of the Super-League.
C.

There will be gyros!

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
C.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
C.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
D: Nick Punto

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Well, that was a splendid week. For the parity record, this team is only in its third season.

DL Rickey, and it is time for the annual 'is Tommy Henrich any drat good this year' adventure in left fielding.

Happily, I have already prepared an obligatory gyro-themed team member:

Though I suppose El Greco Hombre could whip you up some mean sliced lamb bits in the style of his erstwhile homeland.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

A

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
New Orleans Mashers

Tell Dick Allen to go back to the bench and bring up Matt Williams in his spot.

And Gyros.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
B for the off chance RANCE is part of the better team!

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

Voting C. God drat it Mark Grace is getting a gyros.

Clearly David Ortiz, starting first baseman, is not going to work well at all.

Put him back on the bench for the week and start Youkilis at first in Ortiz's spot in the lineup. Also, send down Worrell since he's injured for the next four days, and call up Lee Smith. Slot him into Worrell's short relief spot.

e: Assuming I can't use Hamilton for the next four weeks, I'd only be able to use him the last three of the season, right?

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

mentholmoose posted:

e: Assuming I can't use Hamilton for the next four weeks, I'd only be able to use him the last three of the season, right?

Correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viscount Slim
Mar 9, 2012
So, uh, what's the story with "Maybe Bernard Gilkey?" Is he confused and unsure due to being struck on the head by a fly ball whilst watching a UFO?