Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Taff posted:

Every shot of Utpia is beautiful, I could make love to it.

The colours look like they've been painted on, don't they? Especially the yellows present in almost every scene, and the vivid blues of most characters eyes. I think I love the look of it more than I love the plot or characters (though the fact that 11-year old Grant thinks under the bed is a safe place to hide the manuscript is hilarious, poor little poppet).

The torture continues to be awfully grim, and I do marvel at how Arby -with his doughy, blank face and his waddling walk- has come to represent some terrifying, utterly unstoppable force of evil. It's a remarkable performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CherryCat
Feb 21, 2011

That's a strawberry.

College Slice
I was put off Utopia by the adverts but I think I might now have to check it out.

On a completely unrelated matter, why do the confused.com adverts have so much boob jiggle going on nowadays?

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

CherryCat posted:

why do the confused.com adverts have so much boob jiggle going on nowadays?

would you say the issue makes you confused...dot com

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

CherryCat posted:

I was put off Utopia by the adverts but I think I might now have to check it out.

On a completely unrelated matter, why do the confused.com adverts have so much boob jiggle going on nowadays?

"SEX SELLS!!!!" :fuckoff:

EddieDean
Nov 17, 2009
The first episode of Black Mirror (as already pointed out), is from Caprica. The third episode is in between the epitaphs of Dollhouse. Not that I'm complaining - whatever people though of those shows, they had something interesting to say.

Bloodbath
Apr 10, 2005

GRIM AND FROSTBITTEN KINGDOMS
I hate waiting a week for more Utopia! I love it it's like a cross between The Shadow Line and Jam.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

CherryCat posted:

In the first few ads of the new campaign (which were pretty sexless) they botched the old joke of "pulling large objects out of nowhere" by having this particular nowhere being under the mascot's skirt. After everyone made the smutty jokes you'd expect, they assumed what their audience wants is constant cartoon sex.
I'm guessing.

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

Mark Williams has the lead role in a truly ridiculous (even by the standards of BBC daytime TV dramas) murder mystery drama shown after Doctors. It's called Father Brown. Williams' nasal Brummie voice just did not fit the priest character at all. His gimmick is that he has an old, squeaky bike.

Anyway, the plot was just so incredibly ridiculous and convoluted that it actually made me laugh. Well worth a watch if you've a day to kill and are tired of fiddling with yourself.

edit: It'll probably help if you have a joint whilst watching.

sex pervert fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jan 23, 2013

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
My heart sank when Becky turned out to be a spy. You can't trust anybody :smith:

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Rarity posted:

My heart sank when Becky turned out to be a spy. You can't trust anybody :smith:

What, in Utopia? Did I miss something? :confused:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT-Welp, I think I was burnt out by that point. Marathoning 'Boardwalk Empire' as well as watching this makes my brain speckle all over the place.

I didn't consider that she was playing for another team. Could it be a third party?

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Rondette fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jan 23, 2013

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Rondette posted:

The second-to-last scene, where Becky goes to a payphone and tells someone 'It's me; the manuscript exists. The boy knows where it is.'

osici
Jan 19, 2008
Wheee

Rondette posted:

When Wilson and Grant are in the van she calls someone and says the boy knows where the manuscript is. It could have been innocent but none of the rest of the group know Grant is a kid.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

And the father says, "The Aristocrats!"

Best version of this:

(Not work safe, not wife safe, definatly not granny safe, not ... anyone safe really.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGA0dIz9-Wk

freudorbison
Sep 5, 2011
For anyone interested - Utopia's facebook page http://www.facebook.com/C4Utopia/photos_stream has a page out of TUE as well the few TUE blog/site screengrabs. I'm surprised Channel 4 haven't launched some kind of an ARG to tie in with the show.

SpaceGodzilla
Sep 24, 2012

I sure hope Godzilla-senpai notices me~

freudorbison posted:

I'm surprised Channel 4 haven't launched some kind of an ARG to tie in with the show.

quote:

'The Utopia Inquiry' will allow viewers to watch trailers and answer questions based on the debates raised by the programme, including ID theft, the nanny state and the things people surrender for the benefits of modern life.

Not quite an ARG, but it fits the same role I suppose.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!
Anybody interested in not watching the news tonight might be interested in Bob Servant Independent, which starts tonight at 10 on BBC Four and stars Brian Cox, and is one of BBC Scotland's new comedy and drama programmes for this year.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

osici posted:

When Wilson and Grant are in the van she calls someone and says the boy knows where the manuscript is. It could have been innocent but none of the rest of the group know Grant is a kid.

I think there may be a 3rd group involved. The bad guys we've seen so far already know the manuscript exists because they saw Grant nick it from them.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

sex pervert posted:

Mark Williams has the lead role in a truly ridiculous (even by the standards of BBC daytime TV dramas) murder mystery drama shown after Doctors. It's called Father Brown. Williams' nasal Brummie voice just did not fit the priest character at all. His gimmick is that he has an old, squeaky bike.

Anyway, the plot was just so incredibly ridiculous and convoluted that it actually made me laugh. Well worth a watch if you've a day to kill and are tired of fiddling with yourself.

edit: It'll probably help if you have a joint whilst watching.

Based on a bunch of books. They've been adapted a bunch of times
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Father_Brown

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Attenboroughs' Africa is the best, you guys. A crocodile just ate an entire pelican whole, like it was a particularly tasty Hula Hoop.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

Irisi posted:

Attenboroughs' Africa is the best, you guys. A crocodile just ate an entire pelican whole, like it was a particularly tasty Hula Hoop.

Now there's sharks! Everybody loves sharks!

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

onoflalks posted:

Anybody interested in not watching the news tonight might be interested in Bob Servant Independent, which starts tonight at 10 on BBC Four and stars Brian Cox, and is one of BBC Scotland's new comedy and drama programmes for this year.

All the old, dumb jokes, and I still laughed at them. I put it down to Cox's performance if I'm honest. It looked nice too.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

Mr. Squishy posted:

All the old, dumb jokes, and I still laughed at them. I put it down to Cox's performance if I'm honest. It looked nice too.

I spent most of the time Jonathan Wilson was on screen trying to place which football personality he sounded most like.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Irisi posted:

It started off with the depressing turtle slaughter :(

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Mr. Squishy posted:

Yeah, it wasn't "Good" but I liked it. I also loved every time they mentioned an east coast placename. End the Glasgow Comedy Mafia's grip on Scottish telly!

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

goatface posted:

But then we got to see springboks "pronking" (adorable bouncing about, just for the hell of it), which kind of made up for the baby turtle genocide...

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

goatface posted:

Why didn't they just use their weapons like Splinter taught them?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Semprini posted:

I think there may be a 3rd group involved. The bad guys we've seen so far already know the manuscript exists because they saw Grant nick it from them.

I'm fairly sure she's heavily implied to be calling Miriam, the same MI5 woman that The Tramp was in touch with via phone box. They even used the exact same design of phone box so as to deliberately reference that scene.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Well this sounds like it's going to be an relentlessly predictable 'elf and safety gorn mad laughter desert.

Televisual posted:

Studio filming has begun on The Wright Way, a new six-part sitcom for BBC One from writer Ben Elton.

Filming at dock10 in Salford’s MediaCityUK, The Wright Way stars David Haig, (The Thin Blue Line, Yes Prime Minister), as the fastidious manager of a local council's Health and Safety department. Wright relishes the rules and regulations he uses in his professional life and only wishes he could apply them to his private life, which is often chaotic.

The Wright Way was written by Ben Elton and is a Phil McIntyre Television production for BBC One. It was commissioned by BBC One controller Danny Cohen and former controller of comedy commissioning Cheryl Taylor.

It is being filmedin HQ2 at dock10, Salford, from January through until March, for transmission later in the year.

The BBC executive producer is Gregor Sharp, the executive producer for Phil McIntyre Television is Lucy Ansbro and the producer is Rohan Acharya.

Ben Elton says: "All my happiest television memories concern BBC comedy and in particular BBC sitcoms. It's an honour and a privilege to get the chance to be a part of that tradition again and I'm as excited today as I was when The Young Ones was commissioned 30 years ago.”

Danny "BBC Three" Cohen, Ben "The Establishment" Elton and Cheryl "Citizen Khan" Taylor*? Oh dear.

*Minor "if it's not poo poo" Disclaimer: She is also responsible for the commissioning of Spaced, Black Books and Gavin and Stacey.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Even for people with a shite sense of humour the premise of that show is about 10 years too late.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Any news on either the Ideal or Alan Partridge movies at all? I need something to take my mind off the slow death of BBC comedy.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

The NTAs were tonight as well, here's the winners (does anyone gives a poo poo? Probably not).

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Well this sounds like it's going to be an relentlessly predictable 'elf and safety gorn mad laughter desert.

Danny "BBC Three" Cohen, Ben "The Establishment" Elton and Cheryl "Citizen Khan" Taylor*? Oh dear.

*Minor "if it's not poo poo" Disclaimer: She is also responsible for the commissioning of Spaced, Black Books and Gavin and Stacey.

I wonder, during this show's run, how many times the words "IT'S HEALTH AND SAFETY GONE MAD, STU" will be repeated in this thread.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Rarity posted:

I thought it was an interesting development to stop the show from becoming The Goonies.

I like Utopia because it's about 80% black comedy and 20% conspiracy drama.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

onoflalks posted:

The NTAs were tonight as well, here's the winners (does anyone gives a poo poo? Probably not).

I don't understand why Mrs Brown's Boys isn't just treated with waves of vitriol. It's the worst show I've ever seen, and I don't say that lightly. I can't believe it's getting a loving movie

I mean (not to sound like a snob, but) I get why the general British public would like it, because it's bawdy as gently caress and has crossdressing AND funny Irish swearing, but I can't stand it. The small moments when they go meta or keep a cameraman fuckup in are the only funny parts. Is this really what we want to present to the world as our best sitcom? Something that has every cheap, lame, outdated British comedy cliche in the book? I know it's a pointless, slightly rude moan but do audiences really not want ANYTHING original or new?

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

Bown posted:

I know it's a pointless, slightly rude moan but do audiences really not want ANYTHING original or new?

Commissioners don't think they do, no.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Bown posted:

I don't understand why Mrs Brown's Boys isn't just treated with waves of vitriol. It's the worst show I've ever seen, and I don't say that lightly. I can't believe it's getting a loving movie

I mean (not to sound like a snob, but) I get why the general British public would like it, because it's bawdy as gently caress and has crossdressing AND funny Irish swearing, but I can't stand it. The small moments when they go meta or keep a cameraman fuckup in are the only funny parts. Is this really what we want to present to the world as our best sitcom? Something that has every cheap, lame, outdated British comedy cliche in the book? I know it's a pointless, slightly rude moan but do audiences really not want ANYTHING original or new?

While I share your distaste for it, I think its mostly a generational thing. My parents bloody love it, but these are people who think fish puns and Carry On are the pinnacle of comedy. Same goes for Miranda. Just accept it's not aimed at you and forget about it.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Captain Mediocre posted:

While I share your distaste for it, I think its mostly a generational thing. My parents bloody love it, but these are people who think fish puns and Carry On are the pinnacle of comedy. Same goes for Miranda. Just accept it's not aimed at you and forget about it.

I'll not whine about Mrs Brown's Boys, but if Miranda loving Hart is allowed her own show, there is no plausible reason why I shouldn't have my own show either.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I wouldn't worry about a TV award, they're mostly just there for TV channels and production companies to slap themselves on the back for a good job and they're plenty flawed. Even major awards in other countries are pretty useless. According to the Oscars, the best movie of 2004 was Crash and according to the Emmys, The Wire isn't even worth thinking about.

I don't particularly like Mrs Browns Boys but I can understand why someone would enjoy it. Its the closest thing that comes to re-creating a rough silliness of old school sitcoms. I find it endearing in a way. Its not my cup of tea, but I can see why people enjoy it.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

onoflalks posted:

Commissioners don't think they do, no.

Then again the same men sweep acts like Jimmy Saville under the rug for several decades and have almost comically mismanaged the modern BBC. Understandibly even Bank Managers and Traffic Wardens spit at them on the streets.

Still, the BBC might be getting shitter it looks like it might be a good year for Channel 4 since Utopia and Big Fat Diary have made some good splashes. I have my fingers crossed we'll get some good comedy from them this year too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

Still, the BBC might be getting shitter it looks like it might be a good year for Channel 4 since Utopia and Big Fat Diary have made some good splashes. I have my fingers crossed we'll get some good comedy from them this year too.

Oh bless your little cotton socks. Clearly you haven't been watching 'Paddy McGuinness Rips off Tarrant on TV', 'Sketch comedy group gets schtick stretched to six episodes' or 'The Inbetweeners USA for some reason'.