Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Oh my god. Bruno Sammartino watched Impact?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LividLiquid posted:

His thoughts: They push too many old guys. They should push the young guys.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

MassRayPer posted:

His thoughts: They push too many old guys. They should push the young guys.
Bruno. :allears:

Devil Child
Nov 30, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

LividLiquid posted:

Virtually every old wrestler keeps track of modern wrestling, many of them just say they don't watch much WWE to keep Vince McMahon from thinking they're needy.

Plus, Bruno's said repeatedly his favorite wrestler's Kurt Angle. Since both are the youngest of large families, both had horrible childhoods, both lost their fathers at young ages, both adopted a McMahon as a father figure, and both consider Pittsburgh a home city, I imagine both see a lot of themselves in each other.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

So Dave and Lance have done a show together that should be up on the site tomorrow morning, Dave posted this on Twitter.

@DaveMeltzerWON posted:

I really had a difficult time with the contradictions of modern sports.

Something tells me this is going to be a show for the ages.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The steroid show is up. Anyone else let down that Bryan is involved? Not that I don't want Bryan on the shows, it is just Dave made it sound like it was just him and Lance. I wanted to see what a show with zero Bryan would be like.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I'm not let down because it was super clear on the 1/20 podcast.

Did Dave say something on twitter?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

I'm not let down because it was super clear on the 1/20 podcast.

Did Dave say something on twitter?

Dave just said on Twitter he and Lance were doing a show, I assumed Bryan would be around just because I don't expect Dave or Lance to know how to record a show.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

MassRayPer posted:

The steroid show is up. Anyone else let down that Bryan is involved? Not that I don't want Bryan on the shows, it is just Dave made it sound like it was just him and Lance. I wanted to see what a show with zero Bryan would be like.

I haven't listened to the show yet, but usually Bryan does really good in the moderator role so I would expect him to just let Dave and Lance talk for the most part.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

PaybackJack posted:

I haven't listened to the show yet, but usually Bryan does really good in the moderator role so I would expect him to just let Dave and Lance talk for the most part.

I'm about halfway through and that's pretty much what it is so far. Bryan just keeps Dave from going on and on, he shifts them to slightly different topics here and there.

But if you're someone who doesn't like Lance talking about steroids, steer clear (obviously). It's just more of the same.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I know part of the charm of DKP is the shittiness of it but oh my god the loving beginning of the most recent one.... At least listen to the loving thing before you send it to Bryan.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Got a good laugh at that. Also shutup it's awesome.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

HulkaMatt posted:

Got a good laugh at that. Also shutup it's awesome.

I'm just angry because I turned up the volume on my headphones per usual since the show is generally quieter than the rest then I nearly went deaf. The show owned aside from like 20 seconds at the beginning though so everyone listen!

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

After reading funny quotes throughout this forum for years I decided to finally get a subscription to the Observer. If anyone is on the fence I highly recommend at least trying it to read some of these back issues. I've read a couple from 1995 and I've been laughing out loud. You can just see the disgust that Dave has in the product he's watching from both WWF and WCW.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

New Juventud story from Konnan.

Previously: Juvi stole a girl from Lizmark and had to be pranked, so Mongo had a cop friend in Sturgis pretend to arrest Juvi for statutory rape.

A day or two after, Juventud picked up a married woman and went off with her and Dave Penzer. Konnan, Lizmark and Rey ran into the room to bust him. They discovered Penzer enjoying himself in the corner. The woman freaked out and left Juventud exposed, wearing an improvised prophylactic made of an ice bucket liner and rubber band.

Riotgrrill
Sep 3, 2004

I loved Konnan's attempt to remember Bryan's name.

"Alex Marvez/Marquez"

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Riotgrrill posted:

I loved Konnan's attempt to remember Bryan's name.

"Alex Marvez/Marquez"

Did he make it clear he was thinking of Bryan? Alex Marvez is another wrestling journalist and friend of Meltzer.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

It's a running joke.

Konnan getting mad at a Meltzer dig at AAA was funny. Konnan told/showed Dave what AAA is doing in America this year and Dave liked it. Then the Observer said something like "AAA has serious plans to expand in the US this year (just like every year since they were founded)"

harley
Sep 2, 2004

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

After reading funny quotes throughout this forum for years I decided to finally get a subscription to the Observer. If anyone is on the fence I highly recommend at least trying it to read some of these back issues. I've read a couple from 1995 and I've been laughing out loud. You can just see the disgust that Dave has in the product he's watching from both WWF and WCW.

It's really lame that so many back issues aren't available on the site.

TLM
Mar 3, 2009
Not sure if this belongs in here or the TNA thread, but I figure more people might appreciate it here.

http://tnagutcheck.com/contestants/gut-check-participants/2011-2/march-2011-salem-or/phillip-mckinlay/

The above is a link to some guy who wants to be on TNA's gutcheck. The video he posted for his highlight tape is versus none other than one Chico Alvarez.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Also once again reminds us that Bryan's the whitest Hispanic guy in the world.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I haven't seen many Bryan Alvarez matches and am for some reason always kind of surprised how good of a worker he is.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
For some reason I remembered one of my favorite Dave anecdotes:

Some jerk asked him why he spelled Eddy Guerrero the way he did and he replied "That's the name he filled out every year when he renewed his subscription." :3:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LordPants posted:

Some jerk asked him why he spelled Eddy Guerrero the way he did and he replied "That's the name he filled out every year when he renewed his subscription." :3:

I always remember that one too. Mostly because it gave me justification for using that spelling other than "I remember it from WCW/nWo Revenge."

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
The Brian Kendrick is batshit insane.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

At least we knew that already.

An Actual Bear
Feb 15, 2012

LordPants posted:

I get irrationally angry every time I see "Kimala". gently caress you Meltzer, it's Kamala! :argh:

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I love these MLW radio shows where they talk about random topics like Dusty Rhodes taking staffers into the bathroom with him to read the daily email updates while he takes a "big country poo poo". Or Konnan almost getting the poo poo kicked out of him and thrown in jail when he was attempting to screw a rat with another wrestler in the middle of a field in Mexico.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
Is Kendrick crazy in a good way? i.e. is the show worth listening to?

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Is Kendrick crazy in a good way? i.e. is the show worth listening to?

Do you like conspiracies?

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

HulkaMatt posted:

Do you like conspiracies?

I actually really love them

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
How does it rate vs the crazy Zbysko interview?

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Vinny thinks a reference in a movie to the ongoing semantic argument about Frankenstein/Frankenstein's monster is a personal rib on him. God drat I love the wrestling bubble.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

triplexpac posted:

How does it rate vs the crazy Zbysko interview?

Kendrick thinks that Sandy Hook was planned by the US Government and that the sun is COLD!

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Capsaicin posted:

Kendrick thinks that Sandy Hook was planned by the US Government and that the sun is COLD!

Ah yes, because the higher your altitude the colder you are despite being closer to the Sun. I've heard him say that before.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Stoner who says really stupid poo poo is a money gimmick. Pity RVD beat him to the punch. And the Paunch.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Ah yes, because the higher your altitude the colder you are despite being closer to the Sun. I've heard him say that before.
I forgot about that belief.

The incredibly long Kendrick and London shoot really is amazing.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
I just listened to the show. Good lord the man's a loving idiot

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Are we going to talk about the Observer awards here or should someone start a thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

I just listened to the show. Good lord the man's a loving idiot

It was weird, the first half was a lot of "I was really lucky to have the opportunities that I had, I screwed up and that's why I'm not in WWE anymore" kind of stuff, and then Bryan starts talking about conspiracy theories and Kendrick just goes nuts about a bunch of factually incorrect poo poo.

Referring to it as "Obama's NDAA" was particularly hilarious. Part of me wants to believe that he's kayfabing but we all know that absolute psychos like that exist everywhere.

• Locked thread