Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

UraniumAnchor posted:

We had a couple people screening donations and assigning bids. Even with 2-3 people it was hard to keep up sometimes. Nothing made it to the reader's station without being passed through the screening crew first.

Obviously they weren't perfect, but with 16000 donations it's inevitable that something's going to get through.

Though I was still pretty :cripes: at whoever let Mike Hunt through.

They even had this sign next to the donation station.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

How do you even donate with a fake name? Doesn't Paypal require that your name be your legal name?

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

yaoi prophet posted:

How do you even donate with a fake name? Doesn't Paypal require that your name be your legal name?

They aren't reading from PayPal directly, but instead from the ChipIn comment box.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Dr. Stab posted:

They even had this sign next to the donation station.

I agree that there's a 99% chance this was a fake name donation, but I do have to say that I once met a Matt Hunt whose dad went by Mike.

Also Pie just beat his Paper Mario All Cards record by 3 minutes, assuming he doesn't fall asleep during the epilogue or something.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Sure a few Mike Hunts slipped by, but SDA took care of the really awful stuff.

Like $300 donations that dared to use Twitch memes.
FRANKERZ FRANKERZ FRANKERZ HYPE HYPE HYPE

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Why it's almost as if there's a middle ground where the person can be thanked for their donation without acknowledging their mental diarrhea.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I agree that there's a 99% chance this was a fake name donation, but I do have to say that I once met a Matt Hunt whose dad went by Mike.

Also Pie just beat his Paper Mario All Cards record by 3 minutes, assuming he doesn't fall asleep during the epilogue or something.

I was watching this, was good. Got muted for calling somebody hitler for saying "Diversity is not necessarily good for a community. Part of the reason why countries like Sweden run as well as they do is that they're largely ethnically heterogeneous societies. Adding diversity can create friction."

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

If you don't like Mike Hunt you don't like fun :colbert:

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

hitze posted:

If you don't like Mike Hunt you don't like fun :colbert:
We can't indulge people donating hundreds of dollars to charity!

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Murodese posted:

I was watching this, was good. Got muted for calling somebody hitler for saying "Diversity is not necessarily good for a community. Part of the reason why countries like Sweden run as well as they do is that they're largely ethnically heterogeneous societies. Adding diversity can create friction."

Are you sharing this story with us because you're upset at getting muted for calling someone hitler?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Longinus00 posted:

Are you sharing this story with us because you're upset at getting muted for calling someone hitler?

To be fair, the person he was calling out was even worse.

ayb
Sep 12, 2003
Kills Drifters for erections
I went to school with a Michael Hunt

http://i.imgur.com/Xnw93sP.jpg

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
It's clearing reading some of the complaints here that you guys don't understand how PC the charity world is right now. Understand that if one jerkoff makes one wrong comment that gets read and heard by the wrong person that this can all fall apart. The PCF and all other upstanding charities have reputations that they must consider before allying themselves with other groups for events like this. Mike has to rule with an iron fist because it can absolutely go to pieces in a heartbeat and leave Mike with a big check for nobody and thousands of angry donors wanting their money back.

I would bet you a shiny nickel that when Mike decided to do this that he was in touch with people from the PCF who probably gave them a rundown of what isn't acceptable here and were quite serious about it. These guys are representing PCF at the same time they're representing SDA/SRL/etc and if they or other involved create a negative image and people turn to social media to use that to question PCF's involvement with said people then PCF will have to say "thanks but no thanks" and AGDQ dies an ugly death.

Other charities and other marathons might do things differently but it's very obvious that AGDQ is being run the way it is to enable the partnership with PCF to continue, not because Mike Uyama doesn't like (awful, loving every single one of them is awful)inside jokes or memes.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jan 23, 2013

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Crotch Bat posted:

It's clearing reading some of the complaints here that you guys don't understand how PC the charity world is right now. Understand that if one jerkoff makes one wrong comment that gets read and heard by the wrong person that this can all fall apart. The PCF and all other upstanding charities have reputations that they must consider before allying themselves with other groups for events like this. Mike has to rule with an iron fist because it can absolutely go to pieces in a heartbeat and leave Mike with a big check for nobody and thousands of angry donors wanting their money back.

I would bet you a shiny nickel that when Mike decided to do this that he was in touch with people from the PCF who probably gave them a rundown of what isn't acceptable here and were quite serious about it. These guys are representing PCF at the same time they're representing SDA/SRL/etc and if they or other involved create a negative image and people turn to social media to use that to question PCF's involvement with said people then PCF will have to say "thanks but no thanks" and AGDQ dies an ugly death.

Other charities and other marathons might do things differently but it's very obvious that AGDQ is being run the way it is to enable the partnership with PCF to continue, not because Mike Uyama doesn't like (awful, loving every single one of them is awful)inside jokes or memes.

Does PCF provide any funds whatsoever to AGDQ? If not, there is no "partnership".

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

Longinus00 posted:

Upset? :raise: Mostly tacking on to the last few pages of tales of mod hilarity.

It was a good run though, I haven't seen any paper mario runs before (but I've played the games themselves) and expected it to be boring as poo poo, but there's quite a lot of sequence skipping that can be done. Worth watching.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Magic Underwear posted:

Does PCF provide any funds whatsoever to AGDQ? If not, there is no "partnership".

PCF provides promotion, catering, and also a big box filled with sunglasses, but no actual money that I am aware of.

Also, SDA being left holding a check isn't really a scenario that is possible, as all donations go directly to PCF. SDA never has any of your money. Not reading donations that are just spam or trolling really was just a decision aimed to make the event as appealing to watch as possible. I doubt PCF would actually drop their support if someone said FrankerZ too many times. This was the first time they had to be selective about which donations they read, and these rules will probably be adjusted in the future.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

It can be fairly easy to trip people up with comments, too. When I was on the station during Castlevania, I got a comment reading "Fuc cancer". The donation filtering people didn't catch it, and my brain didn't actually catch up with what I had said until I had already read it because it didn't have the k so I didn't process it as a word I probably shouldn't be reading on a PG-13 stream.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

KennyMan666 posted:

It can be fairly easy to trip people up with comments, too. When I was on the station during Castlevania, I got a comment reading "Fuc cancer". The donation filtering people didn't catch it, and my brain didn't actually catch up with what I had said until I had already read it because it didn't have the k so I didn't process it as a word I probably shouldn't be reading on a PG-13 stream.

If it makes you feel better, people can swear in PG-13 movies. It's excessive (let's say werster level) swearing that will get an R rating.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Well, yeah, I'm Swedish so I just kind of tilt my head and go "Huh?" about what's actually allowed or not in those ratings. I know other people got a "gently caress" in here and there but I figured I'd better stay on the safe side.

Also, just noticed your avatar text, or what to call it. Star Control represent :respek:

And to make that relevant to the thread, my brother, in an e-mail he sent to me during AGDQ, mentioned Star Control 2, as that has been a favourite game of both me and him since ages ago, and implied he thought there should be a speedrun of it. I have entertained the thought, and I have seen both a realtime speedrun and a TAS of the game... and the problem with those are that while anyone who has played the game and know of its awesomeness will be impressed by them because it's not an easy game like that, but they're really loving boring to anyone who haven't played the game because I've come to understand that it's nearly impossible to understand the greatness of that game without actually having experienced it yourself.

Wish I still had that realtime run lying around somewhere but I don't think I do. Got it off the SDA forums and last I heard was that it had actually been submitted bbut was rejected because it was on The Ur-Quan Masters and not the original.

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Jan 23, 2013

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

Crotch Bat posted:

I imagine in that scenario they could just give the money to literally any other cancer charity thing and 99.9% of donors would not give a poo poo whether it was going to PCF. I'd never even heard of PCF before I started watching AGDQ and I really don't think giving to them specifically is a major or even minor draw.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Kyrosiris posted:

Why it's almost as if there's a middle ground where the person can be thanked for their donation without acknowledging their mental diarrhea.

For 300 bucks to charity I think it's pretty reasonable to read out 6 words of stupidity that offend exactly no-one.

For all those on the previous page that had a go this is the sort of poo poo I'm on about. Twitch memes are dumb as hell but if they're raising a ton of money who cares?

And yes the decisions regarding the Twitch chat were awful and were attributed to Uyama though apparently it wasn't his fault?

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

It looks like everything with SDA's donation tracker is finally straightened out, and the final total jumped from the $432k-ish amount I remembered it being at to $454k, which should be good enough to beat that Desert Bus charity amount they made the third (or was it fourth?) goal. http://sda.sorrowind.net/tracker/7
Edit: Now I reloaded and it shows $449k so I don't know what to think.

Also all the prizes have been drawn for (I didn't win anything, oh well): http://sda.sorrowind.net/tracker/prizes/7

Shadow Ninja 64 fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 23, 2013

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Magic Underwear posted:

This isn't how it works. Charities can (and do) refuse donations, return donations, and use legal means to disassociate themselves from people or groups they see as damaging to their brand or mission.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Runnerguy is continuing his blindfolded OoT challenge (and actually has been for awhile today, sorry I forgot to post it in here): http://www.twitch.tv/runnerguy2489

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

^^ The invisible maze blindfolded :lol:

UraniumAnchor posted:

Though I was still pretty :cripes: at whoever let Mike Hunt through.

I love that only some Mike Hawks etc get through and I think it gives another incentive to donate. It's immature for a good cause and unless some runner runs crying out of the room it isn't going to offend anyone out of their donation.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jan 24, 2013

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Funkdoc doing more Batman, with special guests Withhelde and Wiggler!

http://www.twitch.tv/srkfunkdoc

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Just as a note, we had our own #agdq that I believe was linked in the OP of the marathon thread and it was a pretty good time with like, two bannings at most.

Yeah. No. I was banned for bringing up kirkygirl so the mods in that irc were just as bad

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Christ you guys are you really that upset about internet chat?

usedpizza
Jan 1, 2009

Give it up for the champ
A huge part of the popularity of streaming is the interaction. I sure wouldn't watch as much if I had to stare in silence at my monitor.

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp
Garrison just got a new world record in SM (47:17) :toot:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I just took part in my first race. It was for Star Wars: Rogue Squadron. I won :toot:

It was rough though, because I've been practicing speedrunning Rogue Leader, so the clunkier physics of Rogue Squadron really threw me off quite a bit.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

usedpizza posted:

A huge part of the popularity of streaming is the interaction. I sure wouldn't watch as much if I had to stare in silence at my monitor.

And I wouldn't watch as much if someone forced me to look at the chatbox I don't care about. To each their own.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
Werster is about to either beat the Fire Red (round 2) WR by a lot or not even be able to finish due to his gimped Zapdos. Come see!

edit: Dragonite lives by a sliver and responds with a crit ice beam to gently caress it all up.

Magic Underwear fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jan 24, 2013

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

So recently, I've been tinkering around with a run of Spider Man: Return of the Sinister Six for NES. Did a shortish stream earlier to establish some splits and pulled off an 8:09. There's tons of room for improvement (like getting an actual consistent route for stage 1...), among other things. I'm thinking 7:45 is a respectable goal at this point.

Even with the inherent shittiness within the game (this is LJN we're talking about here), there's actually some fun speed tricks involved with running it, once you get past the janky controls and web-slinging.

SevenStringGuru
Jun 6, 2003

Bob Loblaw Law covers all injuries, including those sustained while trying to 4x4 a segway.
Dexter just got sub 11 in batman! Here's the video! Shoutouts to Funkdoc for linking it on his twitter

SevenStringGuru fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jan 24, 2013

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Photex posted:

Yeah. No. I was banned for bringing up kirkygirl so the mods in that irc were just as bad

The only person that was banned from the channel was someone who was being really creepy and asking for threesomes. I'm hoping that wasn't you.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

pksage posted:

This is the best idea. Ticker these tweet-esque comments, and read exceptional donations?
One other suggestion I have, which would probably be a lot easier to do if you made another Chipin clone next year:

Two separate entry boxes:
* Comment to show on ticker (may be read aloud if interesting)
* What to spend the cash on

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Having stock-style tickers for the competitive donations could drive more bidding wars.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
I finally got a sub 9 time in 1 star. http://www.twitch.tv/heeheex2/c/1861750

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

heeheex2 posted:

I finally got a sub 9 time in 1 star. http://www.twitch.tv/heeheex2/c/1861750

Very nice. Congrats.