Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

16-year old me is heartbroken.

That being said, I'm not nearly as sad about it as I thought I'd be. Noctourniquet was pretty weak stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

logical phalluses posted:

TMV used to be like my absolute favorite band. They took my live music virginity. It sucks to see them go. I haven't listened to De-Loused in years but I decided to give it a listen, and it still sounds every bit as amazing as I remember.

De-Loused is one of the very few albums that still gives me chills all over every time I listen to it, like I'm 14 and hearing it for the first time all over again.

Friends Are Evil posted:

16-year old me is heartbroken.

That being said, I'm not nearly as sad about it as I thought I'd be. Noctourniquet was pretty weak stuff.

And yeah, Noctourniquet really wasn't that great. When I first heard it, I thought it was pretty interesting but far from their best. And I still think the same of it now. It's not bad, but I don't think it's a great last album together either. It's given me a whole new appreciation for Octahedron, too. Before Noctourniquet came out, I thought Octahedron was really weak and I rarely listened to it because it paled in comparison to TMV's other albums. Now I've listened to it more and I dig it.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
loving hell. First Ween back in July and now this. Two of my absolute favorite bands, that I've never seen live, defunct in just half a year.

Hoisin Crispy Owl
Jan 1, 2010
I'm quite gutted too but I'm also interested to see where they both go next. I saw Bosnian Rainbows last year and they were quite good - a bit more commercial than a lot of Omar's stuff. Cedric's work with Mike Watt will probably be good too. Oh well. At least I saw them live once!

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

I was sad about it for a bit too, then I remembered Noctourniquet was lovely and that their last gig I saw them at they only played the album encored with The Widow, then I was OK again.

Guess they saw the writing on the wall themselves a while back.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I saw a lot of support for Noctourniquet in NMD when it came out. These past few posts surprise me.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY
Yeah, I really liked Noctourniquet. It wasn't the de facto kick-in-the-balls that Frances/Deloused was, but it was miles above Octahedron, which is just about as sterile as you can get for a TMV record.

As a devout noodlin' fan, this is really rough news to wake up to. I saw the writing on the wall and had gathered that the band had a ton of internal issues prior to the release of Noctourniquet, and even more so with Omar's comments around the album's introduction. I am honestly just glad I got to see Omar + Cedric perform songs from Noctourniquet live, even if it wasn't billed as a TMV concert.

I don't know how I feel about Bosnian Rainbows, especially since it feels like Ximena redux. I much preferred her voice.

Noodle on, brothers.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
TMV had one amazing album, it was their first album, and then they had about 10-15 really good songs after that. Classic example of "This band doesn't sound like I want them to sound anymore!" but I do think we can ALL agree they never hit the heights of that first album again. Quality over quantity.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
No! Frances and Deloused had a huge impact on my musical tastes in high school. And I never got to see them live. Add them to the list along with LCD Soundsystem and The White Stripes. :(

Ugg now I'll never get my hands on the De-Loused vinyl without having to hack off a limb. Mars Volta vinyl prices are already ridiculous.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

rear end Catchcum posted:

but I do think we can ALL agree they never hit the heights of that first album again.

Nothing against Deloused but Frances the Mute will always be my favorite.

I'm glad I saw them in 2008, but I haven't cared much about them since Bedlam (an album that I actually quite enjoyed). I'm with most of the other people in the thread, I was blown away by Noctourniquet the first couple listens but after that it became stale. You could almost feel that their hearts weren't very into it.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

Slackerish posted:

Nothing against Deloused but Frances the Mute will always be my favorite.

I'm glad I saw them in 2008, but I haven't cared much about them since Bedlam (an album that I actually quite enjoyed). I'm with most of the other people in the thread, I was blown away by Noctourniquet the first couple listens but after that it became stale. You could almost feel that their hearts weren't very into it.

Frances was that album that I first hated - I remember that awful quality vinyl rip leak and I remember wondering what they were thinking. But then I gave it a second chance, and it proved to be my favorite album (edging just over Deloused). You can feel emotion in each of the members, the album actually has atmosphere and prime production/mastering, and it actually feels unique.

I'm so glad I saw them when they toured for Frances - easily the best concert I've been to.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

The Bedlam in Goliath is still probably my favorite TMV records. I just love the story behind it, the crazy insane vibes from it and its production. Plus it has some of the coolest lyrics from Cedric on it.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I honestly think Noctourniquet is the most interesting album they've done since Frances, and that's what I think is most sad about this. I like a lot of Omar's albums and Bosnian Rainbows seem pretty cool, I'm sure we'll hear many many more great albums from him and his crew and I'm sure Cedric will put something cool together as well. But to me it sounded like TMV had gotten stuck in a sort of rut and Noctourniquet was them actually breaking out of it and going in a new direction for once.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

rear end Catchcum posted:

TMV had one amazing album, it was their first album, and then they had about 10-15 really good songs after that. Classic example of "This band doesn't sound like I want them to sound anymore!" but I do think we can ALL agree they never hit the heights of that first album again. Quality over quantity.

What is this poo poo? I love that record but Bedlam fuckin owns bones.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Earwicker posted:

I honestly think Noctourniquet is the most interesting album they've done since Frances, and that's what I think is most sad about this. I like a lot of Omar's albums and Bosnian Rainbows seem pretty cool, I'm sure we'll hear many many more great albums from him and his crew and I'm sure Cedric will put something cool together as well. But to me it sounded like TMV had gotten stuck in a sort of rut and Noctourniquet was them actually breaking out of it and going in a new direction for once.

Yeah, this. I had figured they would put out one more album and then call it quits, so this is pretty sad news. I enjoyed Octahedron, and loved Noctourniquet. Would have really liked to hear one more from them, but I guess that's what we get.

I'm honestly not that into Omar's solo stuff. He's got a lot of good tunes, and lots of just okay tunes. Haven't really heard much Bosnian Rainbows, but I should check it out. TMV has always been where it's at for me. :(

Edit: I guess this isn't really that surprising, but it's still sad. They've been a favorite of mine, and a big influence on me musically, for over a decade. Now I'm going to have to finish my TMV tribute song that I started on last year.

Cpt. Spring Types fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jan 24, 2013

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

WASDF posted:

The Bedlam in Goliath is still probably my favorite TMV records. I just love the story behind it, the crazy insane vibes from it and its production. Plus it has some of the coolest lyrics from Cedric on it.

"I'm starting to feel a miscarriage coming on" is still probably my favorite Volta line.

And remember the weird rear end videos from Bedlam? They did videos for 5 or 6 of the songs and they all were super weird.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

"Whaaaat haaaaaaaaaaave youuuuuuuuu brouuuuuuuuuuuught for my appetite?" was always so spooky to me.

that video of them doing surgery was my favorite one. i wish they did more videos.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
"The kiosk in my temporal lobe is shaped like Rosalyn Carter"

I can't really decide what my favorite album is. Deloused is like a masterpiece that sounded like it had been worked on for decades. Frances was the same kind of thing but it wasn't as accessible.

All the other albums sound like practice shots at the greatness that was Bedlam and Noctourniquet, but many are still great in their own right. In fact Amputechture might be my favorite out of all of them.

R.I.P. one time favorite band :(

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Amputechture was the album I hated at first but loved later. I love that loving congo breakdown in one of the songs and then it leads into the "I AM THE REASON FOR YOUR MISSIN' CHILD". I'm gonna miss 'em :ohdear:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Yep, the incredible song that climaxes with a goddamn balls out bongo solo. That is Mars Volta in a nutshell.

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

There's a pretty great live version of that song all over youtube from the Henry Rollins show.

I just remembered my favorite TMV moment: They played for more than 3.5 hours when I saw them once. we walked in at 1945 expecting an opening act or something and they were already playing. We got out of the venue after they finished up with a semi-acoustic encore set at about 23:30 that night.

This was with Pridgen, who was an absolute beast behind the kit. Too bad he didn't gel with the guys.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

WASDF posted:

Amputechture was the album I hated at first but loved later.

I feel exactly the opposite, I liked it quite a bit when it first came out but after repeat listens quickly grew to dislike every song other than Day of the Baphomets, which is still one of my favorite TMV songs

I only got to see them live once but it was a great show. Right after Frances came out, with Jon Theodore and Ikey still in the band, at the Greek Theater in Berkely

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Pridgen is such an impressive drummer. The drumming on Bedlam is one of the reasons I'm so interested in drumming and the soul reason why I just air drum on everything.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Deloused and Frances are obviously their best albums with Amputechture trailing close behind. And then Bedlam is awesome too, but not in the same way. It's like an hour long roller coaster ride of an album.

The songs with the craziest lyrics are some of their best, too. I mean, come on: "a necklace of follicles with sabertooth monocles". That's loving genius :D

Dzus
Jun 18, 2007

I have had people walk out on me before, but not... when I was being so charming.
I guess it is a bad sign when you release an album and then go on hiatus immediately afterward.

I never got to see them live, either. I think I had to pass a few years ago because I had to work. A shame.

Here, have a annotated lyrics version of Frances The Mute: The song. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOadp1H4j68

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Dzus posted:

Here, have a annotated lyrics version of Frances The Mute: The song. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOadp1H4j68

That song is incredible. I hadn't heard it until a couple years ago when one of my former bandmates played it for me and I was blown away. I don't get why it didn't make it on the album :(

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

cause it was too long, I think is the reason

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

WASDF posted:

"Whaaaat haaaaaaaaaaave youuuuuuuuu brouuuuuuuuuuuught for my appetite?" was always so spooky to me.

that video of them doing surgery was my favorite one. i wish they did more videos.

That breakdown to the end of that song is my favorite part of Bedlam - bar none.

Don We Now
Apr 18, 2005

For those of you who don't habla espanola, "El Poptart" is Spanish for.... The Poptart.

I saw them live after Bedlam came out when they had Thomas on drums. My friends and I literally could not stop moving the entire show. It was like they cast a spell on the audience, forcing us to dance uncontrollably.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

The songs with the craziest lyrics are some of their best, too. I mean, come on: "a necklace of follicles with sabertooth monocles". That's loving genius :D

It's technically an ATDI song but my favorite Cedric lyric is still "breakfast table search team implodes" from Pickpocket. Rosalyn Carter kiosk is a close second.

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

Earwicker posted:

I feel exactly the opposite, I liked it quite a bit when it first came out but after repeat listens quickly grew to dislike every song other than Day of the Baphomets, which is still one of my favorite TMV songs

gently caress yes. Day of the baphomets and el Ciervo vulnerado are my only reasons for revisiting amputechture. Frances remains my favorite but honestly, I've loved everything except for octahedron. I concur with everyone here that the writing was on the wall, but gently caress.... I guess I just hoped I would be wrong. I mean, I flew to the ATP fest just because they were the curators. This poo poo is the end of an era for me. Cedric's (probably drunken) tweets have a twinge of sadness and bitterness that really resonate with me. I guess its rough to be the one left behind (re: atdi)

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Happy I saw them live a few years ago in St. Louis.

Amazing show they put on.

Pretty bummed I won't get a 2nd chance.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

After waiting for years I finally saw them one or two shows before they fired Pridgen. You could tell they weren't on point, it was a bit of a letdown. Free Moral Agents came through a year later and were remarkably better. It seems to me that the golden age of TMV was post-Frances, with Adrian and Ikey. But for those of you who never saw them, I never thought ATDI would ever reunite, so maybe in ten years we will get a hardly-interested Omar on the corner of the stage.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

When De-loused in the Comatorium came out I was totally loving blown away. It stayed in my car CD player for literally a year; it was all I listened to. It has such a magical, organic, ethereal sound but still retains some of that manic energy left over from At the Drive In. Still one of my favorites today.

I remember driving around listening to the radio one night before Frances the Mute came out, and heard Cassandra Gemini for the first time, and immediately knew who it was and loved the direction they seemed to be heading in. There was no way they'd top De-loused, but it was still a great album.

Then I saw them live.

The two times I saw them, they only managed to play two songs over 45 minutes, thanks to random breaks for Omar to make his weird noises/endless jam sessions.

Then that's all they did for their next three albums. Couldn't get into Amputechture, and really just gave up. I really tried with Noctourniquet, I wanted to like TMV again, but it wasn't going to happen.

I was just talking to a friend about this and he sent me this article: http://www.grantland.com/blog/hollywood-prospectus/post/_/id/66483/what-does-the-mars-volta-breakup-mean-for-at-the-drive-in.
So, thank you Omar, for becoming a tyrannical dickhead and ruining not just one but two of my favorite bands. At least I'll always have De-loused.

Silver Brushes posted:

maybe in ten years we will get a hardly-interested Omar on the corner of the stage.

Yeah, gently caress him so hard for that.

Famicom Bunko
Jan 30, 2005
Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)

Yarbald posted:

Yeah, gently caress him so hard for that.

Yeah, it's not like his Mom had recently died or anything!

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I'm willing to bet that he'd be the same even if she hadn't died.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

WASDF posted:

I'm willing to bet that he'd be the same even if she hadn't died.

Precisely. I think it was fairly obvious throughout the tour who was excited about getting the band back together (everyone sans Omar).

I would love to see Ceddybear be a guest vocalist on the new Sparta album, whenever they get around to releasing something new: http://spartamusic.com/

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Famicom Bunko posted:

Yeah, it's not like his Mom had recently died or anything!

Cedric mentioned their performance in that article and was strongly hinting that Omar just wasn't into it.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

We're lucky we got an ATDI reunion at all. "gently caress Omar"? Come on, guys. Grow up.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I don't think anyone has said that. But some resentment towards Omar isn't uncalled for. He's notoriously terrible to work with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

travislopes
Jun 4, 2011
Soundboard audio of "In Absentia" from the final The Mars Volta show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5pMolAaeQg

• Locked thread