Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Brigdh posted:

Looking good :)

Thanks. The marshals were a bit frustrated with me by the end. Apparently, some guy on the Internet told me to doesn't really work as an excuse...

TrueChaos fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Nov 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Sadi posted:

S2000s look like a beast to drive on the limit. One of the guys in our region is amazing to watch. Jadruce, he's won B-Stock nationals for the past two years (last 2012 by 3 0.3 seconds). Its like he has a telepathic link to that car. Super good guy, awesome as a an instructor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuK2qcb-odQ

Yea, it's not as pronounced on warm tires but S2000s have a very small island between over and under-driving and it's really easy to overstep the line. The thing I've taken away from people who are super fast is just how smooth they are even with minor corrections.

TrueChaos posted:

Thanks. The marshals were a big frustrated with me by the end. Apparently, some guy on the Internet told me to doesn't really work as an excuse...

Don't worry, I hit the most cones in one run for the day (5) and also hit cones 6 out of 8 runs. If you're just understeer plowing into cones every run or eating them in the middle of the grilled it is time to dial it in a bit, but if you're barely clipping them or clipping them with the rear poo poo happens when you're trying to get close.

I had a run that would have been a 69.xx and hosed it all up 2 cones from the gate, even the timing truck commented on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnYl4K9Kd4o

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Oct 30, 2012

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

nm posted:

Ah, DCTC, the autocross course that is nothing like an autocross course. I miss it.
What, I thought Shane was the only one of us on MNAutox.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

destructo posted:

I moved to out of MN in 2009. I drove a ESP legacy gt wagon (which doesn't actually narrow down much as there were 3 when I was there)

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

destructo posted:

I have always been meaning to head over to Minnesota and do a autocross hosted by you guys. However, there are like 6+ different clubs that run autox's in WI so basically every weekend I could just go to a autox somewhere in WI.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

G-Mach posted:

I have always been meaning to head over to Minnesota and do a autocross hosted by you guys. However, there are like 6+ different clubs that run autox's in WI so basically every weekend I could just go to a autox somewhere in WI.

Mnautox was better than any autox I've done with any other group. Great sites (except Midway) and great people.

There's a couple of other currnet or former MN auto-xers here.
Goatse Guy ran a GTI, and I swear I've seen a very familiar 330i here (or is that yours?).
One or two others I think.

nm fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Nov 3, 2012

DukAmok
Sep 21, 2006

Using drugs will kill. So be for real.
Anyone around the SoCal area? Looking to find somewhere local to learn how to drive a little more aggressively, and then hopefully check out some autocross courses following that. Any recommendations for either schools or tracks?

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer
Here's my little turbofied Yaris tearing up it's all-seasons at the great Sierra Vista Muni Airport, lots of fun...lots of screeching!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gvz26K_I5wQ

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Is there a ever a compelling argument to NOT use PAX for timing? Our region has a comically low amount of cars (30 is a GOOD event) so the SCCA classing pretty much means you run against yourself unless you bump up classes.

Our new timing system now does PAX automatically but they still seem hesitant to adopt it, ever for a seperate PAX championship in addition to the class specific and overall points champions. I guess it bugs me more because nobody in the region runs STU or BSP, so next year I'll be running SM against much better cars and drivers. But I'd rather be in the bottom of a full class then get 13 points for being able to park my car in a stopbox.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Crustashio posted:

Is there a ever a compelling argument to NOT use PAX for timing? Our region has a comically low amount of cars (30 is a GOOD event) so the SCCA classing pretty much means you run against yourself unless you bump up classes.

Our new timing system now does PAX automatically but they still seem hesitant to adopt it, ever for a seperate PAX championship in addition to the class specific and overall points champions. I guess it bugs me more because nobody in the region runs STU or BSP, so next year I'll be running SM against much better cars and drivers. But I'd rather be in the bottom of a full class then get 13 points for being able to park my car in a stopbox.

I won a hat because we don't run PAX. I mean I had to beat one person but still. It's a hat.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Crustashio posted:

30 cars? Where do you live? That's the kind of numbers Upper Michigan SCCA gets for autox.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

DukAmok posted:

Anyone around the SoCal area? Looking to find somewhere local to learn how to drive a little more aggressively, and then hopefully check out some autocross courses following that. Any recommendations for either schools or tracks?

I too would like to know if anyone is in SoCal. I did a lot of AX in NorCal and Minnesota, but since moving here, I haven't really done much.
CalClub looks like a pain in the rear end -- not only does one seem to need an SCCA membership (which I have), but this whole stupid points card and club thing just seems stupid as hell.
Also, the lack of a PAXed street tire class that allows non stock cars.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Muffinpox posted:

I won a hat because we don't run PAX. I mean I had to beat one person but still. It's a hat.

"Sneakily getting into a single-car class is the easiest way to become a winner"
- me, New England 2011 Stock RWD Rallyx Champion

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
My guess is it's just a bunch of people in the club not wanting to change anything, for any reason, ever. We use PAX in Saskatoon (I almost said "here in Saskatoon" but I'm temporarily not there), and like for Crustashio, 30 cars is a well-attended event. People seem happy with the PAX system in Saskatchewan, if the timing system does it automatically it's basically no effort at all.

Plus, for some events you can set up a shootout between the fastest driver by raw time and fastest by PAX adjusted. This works especially well if you have access to a car neither person owns / drives regularly. Saskatoon has used an old Sentra the last two years running for the year-ender/regional event, owned by a guy who occassionally trades off various jobs on the executive for the club (president, vice-pres, director-at-large, etc.).

SSIS 2012 Sentra Shootout 4 by Execudork, on Flickr

EDIT: Last year (2011) I won a free hat. But not for being best in class or anything skill-based like that. It was a door prize.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Anybody running Android based data logging for autocross? I'm thinking about picking up a cellphone holder and trying Trackmaster this weekend.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Phone posted:

Anybody running Android based data logging for autocross? I'm thinking about picking up a cellphone holder and trying Trackmaster this weekend.

I'm not, but I keep seeing mention of SoloStorm on the SCCA fourms.

IMO, I'd wouldn't trust the data that much. Might be nice for rough comparisons or grid trash talk, but consumer grade GPS isn't accurate enough for the scale of autocross, and the accelerometers in a phone are tailored to usecases that are not easily translatable to what they'd experience in an autocross. The accelerometers for some phones expect the phone to stop moving within .5 second or they start giving really bogus data.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
Is anyone else doing some autocross in the winter? North TX has a Winter event that should be fun. Course is run in reverse in the afternoon. I'm really looking forward to doing a whole season this year; hoping that consistent attendance will boost my mediocre times.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

GOD IS BED posted:

Is anyone else doing some autocross in the winter? North TX has a Winter event that should be fun. Course is run in reverse in the afternoon. I'm really looking forward to doing a whole season this year; hoping that consistent attendance will boost my mediocre times.

Yup. I have one tomorrow. My first. In Charleston, WV, in the extremely unlikely event that there are other autocrossing goons around here.

Preflight checklist: oil, tire pressure, torque lug nuts, fluids...anything else? Do people usually up tire pressure for autocrosses?

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

saint gerald posted:

Yup. I have one tomorrow. My first. In Charleston, WV, in the extremely unlikely event that there are other autocrossing goons around here.

Preflight checklist: oil, tire pressure, torque lug nuts, fluids...anything else? Do people usually up tire pressure for autocrosses?

Yes. Jack it up pretty high, especially if you don't have stiff sidewalls. AutoX puts a lot of lateral load on your tires and you can end up riding on the sidewalls.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Yeah, I scrubbed the shoulder off a set of tires on one side by neglecting to put the air pressure up before a run. It's even more important if you have a heavier car like me or steer too much also like me.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Crustashio posted:

Jack it up pretty high, especially if you don't have stiff sidewalls. AutoX puts a lot of lateral load on your tires and you can end up riding on the sidewalls.

I don't know what you're talking about!

Forgot to check that cars tire pressure, just my red ones.. 20psi. Oopsy.

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer

nm posted:

I too would like to know if anyone is in SoCal. I did a lot of AX in NorCal and Minnesota, but since moving here, I haven't really done much.
CalClub looks like a pain in the rear end -- not only does one seem to need an SCCA membership (which I have), but this whole stupid points card and club thing just seems stupid as hell.
Also, the lack of a PAXed street tire class that allows non stock cars.

It's not too bad--you don't even need to be in a "club" for your first year of competition, and then after that you can just join one of the free ones. Just an email, apparently. I started autoX last year (I'm not really competing though, just wanted to dick around in a parking lot), so I have yet to do that myself.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003
First autocross: great success! I came last, but I'm OK with that. Someone has to. I went from a 55 second lap to a 41.1 by the time the fun runs were over, and felt like I improved a whole lot. I think I'm hooked -- and if anyone's in the region, the Southern WV SCCA are a great bunch of guys (and gals), very well organized and welcoming.

Here's me learning one of my first lessons. Don't let go of the wheel on the way out of a corner, fool. The Miata might be forgiving, but it obviously felt the need to give me a slap for that one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOt7D3Uf6iA

It was a tough corner. You could go in either way, but most people opted to take it as a left-hander, as although it was further it set you up better for the next bend. Great fun in the Miata, because you could just pin the throttle and as long as you could keep the back end in line you'd have tons of momentum for the next stretch. Lots of people ran wide on the exit and picked up cones, and plenty of people had lairy moments getting on the power not unlike mine.

Managed to get through the day (11-12 runs?) without hitting a cone. I'm obviously not trying hard enough. Next time!

flier129
Aug 28, 2012
I'm getting the itch!

My first event is Feb. 16th and a couple of others before Dixie. What about everyone else?

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Late April - Mid May if I'm lucky. Gives me time to gently caress around with my rear brakes, which squeal an incredible amount. I can't tell if its the HP+ pads that hate the cold temperatures, the fact I re-used the shims/spreaders on the pads, or that I slightly over tightened the parking brake resulting in pad deposits and hotspots due to heat buildup. Or if its just lovely Chinese rotors (different brand than the front rotors). Either way for now its cold out and ill ignore it because the pads have lots of life and stop just fine. Ill break everything down, clean, re-grease, ensure the slide pins are in good shape/buff them up if needed before my season starts. Oh, I need tires too, I'm at the wear bars on the star specs after a single season.

TrueChaos fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jan 21, 2013

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
We run year round, just not as frequently in the winter (aka the "off" season). I'm actually getting kinda jittery since the Jan event was canceled due to extreme weather. I fixed my ABS pump and put it back in, so now I'm not instantly locking up the fronts, and I might be getting a co-driver this season, assuming he likes the car on the 2nd and doesn't have a better option.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

TrueChaos posted:

Late April - Mid May if I'm lucky. Gives me time to gently caress around with my rear brakes, which squeal an incredible amount. I can't tell if its the HP+ pads that hate the cold temperatures, the fact I re-used the shims/spreaders on the pads, or that I slightly over tightened the parking brake resulting in pad deposits and hotspots due to heat buildup. Or if its just lovely Chinese rotors (different brand than the front rotors). Either way for now its cold out and ill ignore it because the pads have lots of life and stop just fine. Ill break everything down, clean, re-grease, ensure the slide pins are in good shape/buff them up if needed before my season starts. Oh, I need tires too, I'm at the wear bars on the star specs after a single season.

It's the HP+ pads.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Phone posted:

It's the HP+ pads.

The squeal oscillates at low speeds, corresponding to rotation of the wheel - increases/decreases corresponding to speed. Does that still sound like HP+?

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

flier129 posted:

I'm getting the itch!

My first event is Feb. 16th and a couple of others before Dixie. What about everyone else?

First event May 5th. I'm glad it's a little far away because my car is half apart right now and I still haven't ordered my suspension or tires/wheels. I'm excited though, 2nd year of autoX and I now have the car I wanted from the start.

Winter's not so bad though, I can rallycross in my former autoX car and current daily driver: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyZ-eIVceIw

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jan 21, 2013

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

TrueChaos posted:

The squeal oscillates at low speeds, corresponding to rotation of the wheel - increases/decreases corresponding to speed. Does that still sound like HP+?

It's the HP+.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Phone posted:

It's the HP+.

Thanks, I'll go back to ignoring it now.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I put HP+ pads on my Miata for the past 3-4 years and I put them on my coworker's WRX last year. I forgot to put the grease on the backing plates on his WRX, and holy poo poo it was louder than loving loud. Louder than my HT-10s.

The HP+ is a pretty loud pad.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Now the real debate... Tires. I was planning on Dunlop Z2's, but apparently the BFG G-force rival is faster. Tire size is 205/50/15, and tire rack has them priced close enough to take price out of the equation...

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Crustashio posted:

First event May 5th. I'm glad it's a little far away because my car is half apart right now and I still haven't ordered my suspension or tires/wheels. I'm excited though, 2nd year of autoX and I now have the car I wanted from the start.

Winter's not so bad though, I can rallycross in my former autoX car and current daily driver: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyZ-eIVceIw
Love the parking-brake-grab there.

I'm jealous, I miss driving on ice. Last year we had an Ice Dice in March, and I've been told it's been a consistently cold winter with little or no melting, so I'm optimistic that when I get back to Saskatoon in late February I'll have time for some slidey-slidey.

The 2013 schedule hasn't been posted yet, but last year's first event was May 22. That's a long way away. :sigh:

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

TrueChaos posted:

Now the real debate... Tires. I was planning on Dunlop Z2's, but apparently the BFG G-force rival is faster. Tire size is 205/50/15, and tire rack has them priced close enough to take price out of the equation...

BFG said they are "faster" than the Z2's. I'd take that information with a big grain of salt.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Those bfg tires are 7/32 from the factory. They aren't ST legal until they make a rule change or add them as an exception, right?

ExecuDork posted:

Love the parking-brake-grab there.

I'm jealous, I miss driving on ice. Last year we had an Ice Dice in March, and I've been told it's been a consistently cold winter with little or no melting, so I'm optimistic that when I get back to Saskatoon in late February I'll have time for some slidey-slidey.

The 2013 schedule hasn't been posted yet, but last year's first event was May 22. That's a long way away. :sigh:

The parking brake was a moment of desperation, I forgot to clutch in and it ended up doing nothing. If I try to use power to rotate in the really slow turns it sends me into a spin. My winter tires are poo poo on both ice and gravel. I'm hoping we get at least one event where the snow sticks around all day.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jan 24, 2013

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

G-Mach posted:

BFG said they are "faster" than the Z2's. I'd take that information with a big grain of salt.

Andy Hollis is saying they're faster, ~ 1 second around a ~2 minute course, so not much.

Crustashio posted:

Those bfg tires are 7/32 from the factory. They aren't ST legal until they make a rule change or add them as an exception, right?

They're stated at 7/32, but measurements have them at ~.23", and 7/32 = .21875, so they should be legal. They're closer to 15/64ths than 7/32nds, but closer to 7/32 than 8/32, which is likely why they're listed at 7/32.

CatBus
May 12, 2001

Who wants a mustache ride?

TrueChaos posted:

Andy Hollis is saying they're faster, ~ 1 second around a ~2 minute course, so not much.

They're stated at 7/32, but measurements have them at ~.23", and 7/32 = .21875, so they should be legal. They're closer to 15/64ths than 7/32nds, but closer to 7/32 than 8/32, which is likely why they're listed at 7/32.

They seem to be crazy heavy.
27lbs/tire for the 205/50/15? The Z2 in the same size is 19lbs/tire. Either that is a typo (which doesn't seem likely, since all the other sizes seem about the same), or that is one FAT tire. 32lbs of extra tire weight seems like something that can't be overlooked, no matter how sticky the tire is.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

TrueChaos posted:

If Andy Hollis (who I believe) was only able to get 1 second off of a ~2 minute course and considering the info I've heard that BFG has only gotten their hands on 1 set of Z2s to test against the Rival it's looking real hard to state for sure that the new Rival is a true star spec z2 "killer". With all that said it'll be real interesting how things play out for this upcoming season. I had a friend that went to BFGs tire test down in NOLA. BFG didn't even bring star spec z1's to do a comparison with. Here is his blog post about it: http://blog.365racing.net/2013/01/22/the-bfgoodrich-rival-street-tire-review-at-nola-motorsports-park/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatBus
May 12, 2001

Who wants a mustache ride?

CatBus posted:

They seem to be crazy heavy.
27lbs/tire for the 205/50/15? The Z2 in the same size is 19lbs/tire. Either that is a typo (which doesn't seem likely, since all the other sizes seem about the same), or that is one FAT tire. 32lbs of extra tire weight seems like something that can't be overlooked, no matter how sticky the tire is.

That must have been a typo, because they have revised it to 20 lbs per tire for the 205/50/15.

• Locked thread