Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Black Knight should take off his helmet and reveal he's an Indian Woman just to mess everyone's expectations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PiratedTVPro
Jan 4, 2004

Black Knight was in Ultimate Defenders, and hell, Ultimate Hellcat - also in Defenders - was basically Tigra. Vision was in three different books and even had her/its own miniseries. Has the Ultimate Comics continuum become so convoluted that they're just going to ignore these storylines?

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Vision was a robot with boobs all you need is an impact wrench to fix that and the rest died in ultimatum.

loving everybody died in ultimatum.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

PiratedTVPro posted:

Black Knight was in Ultimate Defenders, and hell, Ultimate Hellcat - also in Defenders - was basically Tigra. Vision was in three different books and even had her/its own miniseries. Has the Ultimate Comics continuum become so convoluted that they're just going to ignore these storylines?

Apparently so considering there's a new Psylocke in UCXM too.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Dacap posted:

Apparently so considering there's a new Psylocke in UCXM too.

Her name is Betsy Braddock, too.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Here's what that crew looked like, sorta, a few years back:

Didn't all these guys get killed?

Flater
Oct 20, 2006

Ask me about sucking Batman's dick
Maybe they could try making completely new characters instead of doing tired alternate universe twists on the 616 versions?

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Flater posted:

Maybe they could try making completely new characters instead of doing tired alternate universe twists on the 616 versions?

I think the blue-haired girl and the plant guy with the dreadlocks in UCXM are both new characters.

thet0wer
Dec 4, 2012

Mister Roboto posted:

Here's what that crew looked like, sorta, a few years back:

Didn't all these guys get killed?

Valkyrie's the only dead one.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Flater posted:

Isn't alternate universe twists like, the whole point of the Ultimate line? (actually I know it is just to remove years and years of batshit continuity)

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."

Flater posted:

You realize creating a new character for a company-owned universe is basically throwing away money for a creator, right?

PiratedTVPro
Jan 4, 2004

Hellsau posted:

Her name is Betsy Braddock, too.

I just assumed this was still Betsy in Kwannon's body, but this I realized she was listed as the deceased in Ultimatum. I've picked up every Ultimate line book since its inception, but the handling of these characters is really bothering me.

thet0wer
Dec 4, 2012

PiratedTVPro posted:

I just assumed this was still Betsy in Kwannon's body, but this I realized she was listed as the deceased in Ultimatum. I've picked up every Ultimate line book since its inception, but the handling of these characters is really bothering me.

Apparently Brain Wood asked the Ultimate editors for a list of the characters he could use in his run. Psylocke was on that list, inexplicably.

What do these editors do all day, anyway? Browse Facebook? Words with Friends?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

thet0wer posted:

Apparently Brain Wood asked the Ultimate editors for a list of the characters he could use in his run. Psylocke was on that list, inexplicably.

What do these editors do all day, anyway? Browse Facebook? Words with Friends?

Happy hour.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

They pick fights with bloggers.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

So we got a Gundam, a biker in a neck brace, an Abe Sapien inflatable love doll, possible ThunderCats copyright infringement, and All-New Ergonomic Wonder Man (now with "E-Z" access handles!)

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

PiratedTVPro posted:

Other than Miles does the Ultimate Univere have any unique characters? Even just characters who debuted in the Ultimate Universe before the 616 version of themselves? Or is it literally a case of 'why would we want to try to make new characters when we haven't introduced the Ultimate Zodiac yet?'

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

NorgLyle posted:

Other than Miles does the Ultimate Univere have any unique characters? Even just characters who debuted in the Ultimate Universe before the 616 version of themselves? Or is it literally a case of 'why would we want to try to make new characters when we haven't introduced the Ultimate Zodiac yet?'

Geoff

Bendis also had that mother/daughter crime duo in UCSM pre-Peter death.

notthegoatseguy fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jan 23, 2013

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Magician in Ultimate X-Men was an original character as well I think.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!
I must have missed something... there was a promo at the end of this weeks Ultimates (ha, yeah, I don't know why I'm reading it anymore) for Ultimate Wolverine? And it seemed to, based on the promo, feature Jimmy, but somehow reliving real-Wolverine's past or memories or something. Had both Wolverines on the cover.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

For no reason whatsoever Hawkeye starts wearing his Ultimates 3 Grifter outfit again in today's issue. The only explanation I can think of is that they were intending it to be a stealth outfit, which makes zero sense because a bright purple costume with a giant silver "H" on the chest is a hell of a lot more noticeable than his normal all black/red arrow suit.

and did anyone else catch this?

LCQC
Mar 19, 2009
Replacing Falcon with Joe Biden would totally improve Utimates.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

LCQC posted:

I thought they killed Joe Biden since he was the devil?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LCQC posted:

Also, the real world.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Endless Mike posted:

Also, the real world.

Falcon's real???

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

Falcon's real???

He should be. :colbert:

(Actually, I was backward on what he said so ignore my previous post.)

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

bobkatt013 posted:

I thought they killed Joe Biden since he was the devil?

I like how that was hilariously forgotten despite, if it actually happened like it played out in the comics, the Ultimates COMPLETELY failed in their mission to protect the Vice. You'd think a good writer would've used that dangling thread for some major plot points.

Also, President Generic vaguely tanned guy was nuked by Reed Richards.

There's certainly a lot of failures under the belt of the Ultimate Universe superteams.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Mister Roboto posted:

I like how that was hilariously forgotten despite, if it actually happened like it played out in the comics, the Ultimates COMPLETELY failed in their mission to protect the Vice. You'd think a good writer would've used that dangling thread for some major plot points.

Also, President Generic vaguely tanned guy was nuked by Reed Richards.

There's certainly a lot of failures under the belt of the Ultimate Universe superteams.

The Ultimates seem to lose more then they win, and if they do win there is huge collateral damage.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Mister Roboto posted:

Back in the day, that was the point - the Ultimates biggest threats were frequently each other or things they caused. The Chitauri are an exception, but even The Liberators were inspired to exist by the Ultimates getting involved in military excursions.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The whole issue felt like there was something off about it. It certainly didn't help when Hawkeye showed up in his godawful Ultimates 3 costume.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Dropping Ultimates solely because the loving Grifteye costume came back.

Flater
Oct 20, 2006

Ask me about sucking Batman's dick

d00gZ posted:

You realize creating a new character for a company-owned universe is basically throwing away money for a creator, right?
Yes but with the state of the Ultimate Universe they might as well start gambling

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I thought the Devil was Cheney?

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

^burtle posted:

I thought the Devil was Cheney?

No, the Ultimate universe tends to move in real-time (when it can) so Bush and Cheney were out by then.

PiratedTVPro
Jan 4, 2004

Genetic Toaster posted:

Dropping Ultimates solely because the loving Grifteye costume came back.

If it ends up that was actually Hawkeye I'm dropping it as well. If not, which it seems like it might actually be, then I'll allow it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Mister Roboto posted:

No, the Ultimate universe tends to move in real-time (when it can) so Bush and Cheney were out by then.

Actually only about a year and a half to two years has passed in Ultimate time. Spider-Man's career is the best indicator of it, due to Peter only aging about a year in his whole book before getting killed shortly after. With the time jump it might be closer to two, but that's the absolute maximum. Vice President who got killed wasn't Cheney or Biden, it was "generic white vice president man."

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

TheJoker138 posted:

Actually only about a year and a half to two years has passed in Ultimate time. Spider-Man's career is the best indicator of it, due to Peter only aging about a year in his whole book before getting killed shortly after. With the time jump it might be closer to two, but that's the absolute maximum. Vice President who got killed wasn't Cheney or Biden, it was "generic white vice president man."

That's mainly Bendis, though, who operated Ultimate Spiderman on its own timeline, regardless of the rest of the Ultimate line. Bush was definitely President at the start of the Ultimates' career, but the later prez who got reed-nuked was someone new.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Mister Roboto posted:

That's mainly Bendis, though, who operated Ultimate Spiderman on its own timeline, regardless of the rest of the Ultimate line. Bush was definitely President at the start of the Ultimates' career, but the later prez who got reed-nuked was someone new.

That guy could have been brand new with Bush having only left office in that time jump between Ultimatum and everything picking back up.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Mister Roboto posted:

I think everyone writing the Ultimates line at the time had a mindset similar to Bendis. That it would last one or two years and they'd be canned. So hey, why the gently caress not make Bush the blatant POTUS in the MU?

That's why you see a lot of just random references to Marvel characters as if they're already established things in early Ultimates/FF/Xmen/Spider-Man and very well might later be introduced, even by the same writer, as characters under different circumstances. Hell, Bendis originally introduced Eddie Brock as an adult reporter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
I think we can all agree that:

-Bush WAS the President at the start of the line.
-Unspecified years have passed, each series seems to contradict the other, especially since Bendis appears to deliberately not care how much his "100 issues = one year of Peter's life" rule is messing with the rest of the line. The Ultimates make it clear at least 2 or more years have passed.
-Sometime in that period, an election was held, Palin was mentioned as a candidate. Bush is definitely gone.
-The New Pres was some shadowy vaguely tanned man. Maybe Obama, maybe not, he really didn't play much of a role other than to make some pretty aggressive policies towards containment of mutants and superheroes.
-Vice-President was a man named Blackthorne, who was taken out and this was quietly forgotten.
-But then the New Pres was reed-Nuked anyways, so that completely ends any "real life" links to the current President.
-This means that the new President is totally a Ultimate universe creation, he's the former Director or Energy or whatever and he has a name and face. Thomas or something? Whichever, he's a generic white middle aged dude and now there's no risk of being seen as threatening the real world Prez anymore.
-And then he got impeached or whatever for Cap.

That's a lot of Presidential changes over ~4 years.

• Locked thread