Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Yucca mountain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

LP97S posted:

Personally, anyone who would put aside personal politics and a few dozen votes for Harry Reid to re-open and loving use Yucca Flats for what it was built for.

Locking away fuel taken from nuclear reactors that still have 95% of their useful energy remaining?

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

Locking away fuel taken from nuclear reactors that still have 95% of their useful energy remaining?

Well no one wants to reprocess it because someone might sell it to the Indians or Israelis because the US nuclear security apparatus consists of twist ties and Mr Magoo, or at least that's what Carter claimed when he banned it and Reagan allowed when he reinstated it but defunded it.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin
Unsubsidised solar PV is at socket parity in Europe.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.
The headline is a bit misleading. "Unsubsidised" refers to capital costs, but Germany (on which the report is presumably focused; I can't find a copy of it online) has a feed-in tariff for household solar power.

I don't like FIT programs in general because they can seriously distort the market (encouraging deployment in the least-productive areas, such as household rooftops) and then (when the over-investment becomes obvious and the FIT funding mechanism is exhausted) change abruptly. This already happened in Germany, where the "20 year guaranteed FIT rates" were slashed repeatedly between 2010 and 2012.

Governments agencies are learning from these kinds of mistakes, albeit slowly. The FIT system here in Ontario was designed with quotas for each tier (household < 10 kW, industrial < 50MW, etc) so that it wouldn't be over-subscribed. Sounds reasonable, right? Applications were submitted, the most promising ones (e.g. the applicants who demonstrated sufficient credit/cashflow to actually build a solar array) were approved, and construction began at several sites. But the original intention wasn't to build solar power per se, it was to build up demand and thereby launch a domestic solar industry (including R&D, manufacturing, and export). Critics pointed out that the PV panels for the new projects were simply being imported from Texas and California, whose well-established PV firms could undersell any nascent local manufacturers. A "domestic content" proviso was added to the program, but the agency doesn't actually pre-approve suppliers/contractors as legitimate; the onus is on FIT participants to prove, if audited, that their project is at least 60% domestic (50% for wind projects). What does this mean for projects that were already underway when the rules changed? OPA has been reluctant to issue a definitive policy, preferring to take things on a case-by-case basis (after all, "regulatory ambiguity and threat of audit" is a great way to encouage investment, right?).

Fake Edit: And then homeowners found out about the FIT program and were angry that their taxes/rates would provide windfall profits to politically-connected early adopters; some threatened lawsuits. There were plans to appease them by opening up a bunch of additional slots on a "lottery" basis; this plan was decried by early adopters who had run afoul of the quota limit and had seen their own applications denied. These guys also threatened legal action since they believed that they had a priority claim on any new FIT opportunities. And then the FIT rates were adjusted*, the "windfall" aspect diminished, the complaint-filled web forum was taken offline, the application process was heavily bureaucratized (to avoid the appearance of favouritism), and the hubbub (mostly) died away.

*The official MicroFIT rate for rooftop PV is still quite generous (54.9c/kWh) but it does not adjust for inflation; over a 20-year FIT contract it will become steadily less valuable. The homeowner must also bear the cost of inspections, meter upgrades, supplementary insurance, etc...

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Interesting post GulMadred. Could you talk a bit about what the feed-in tariff is and how it interacts with the various power source options?

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

Kaal posted:

Interesting post GulMadred. Could you talk a bit about what the feed-in tariff is and how it interacts with the various power source options?
What it is

In a perfect world, we'd decide on an ideal energy generation mix based on technology and then move towards it as economic factors allow. In the real world we can't do this because because utilities have been deregulated/privatized and 50-year plans don't mesh very well with election cycles; we can only offer incentives and hope that private firms pursue them.

These incentives sometimes occur as government subsidy of capital costs for new construction (or, in the case of nuclear power, by special coverage due to the infeasibility of obtaining insurance on the open market). Capital subsidies are politically sensitive, though - if construction costs go over-budget then the Minister of Energy (or local equivalent) is going to face some heat; the government will need to commit more funds to the distressed project (scandal!), writeoff its original investment (scandal!), or try to strongarm other private firms into a takeover/rescue deal (scandal!). There's also the risk that the subsidy deal will be modified or canceled in the aftermath of each election, particularly if the recipient was a political ally of the former government.

Feed-in tariffs are seen as a way around some of these problems. The government (or independent grid-operating agency) signs a contract with a private entity, agreeing to buy electricity at price <x> for a fixed term (20 years is common). Since the government pays only for energy that's actually delivered, there's much less "involvement" (and risk of scandal) with any particular firm or venture, and there's no harm to the public interest if a construction project misses its deadline. It's also hoped that succeeding governments will be less likely to rescind or modify any particular tariff agreement, since each one is a standard-issue contract rather than a sweetheart deal.

The major risk (as I explained above w/r/t Germany and Ontario) is ex post facto modification of the contract terms. This may be due to political reasons (e.g. the incoming government is much less "green" than the one which signed the original solar FIT deals) or simple economics - FIT power is more expensive than the standard stuff, and honoring those contracts might be seen as a luxury during a recession or budget crisis (e.g. "Minister decides to close schools in order to maintain payouts for hippie power!"). If you're an energy provider who was depending on those favourable 20-year rates, then you might find yourself unable to repay your amortized capital costs. If FIT contracts are consistently modified or dishonoured, then it will be increasingly difficult to attract new participants.

Oversubscription is another risk, as I mentioned in the previous post. It's fairly easy to manage it with simple quotas, but then you need to include anti-abuse mechanisms (because you're dealing with a private-profit scenario). For instance, the FIT program in Ontario was plagued by "sockpuppets." Officially, each individual or firm could submit only one application (which would include all of the sites and projects that they planned to develop). This was troublesome for the big enterprises - if you submit a 2500MW plan and there's only 1800MW of remaining unallocated quota, then you're certain to be rejected. If you submit a modest 1000MW plan then you may miss out on lucrative opportunities. To improve the odds, some applicants split up their plans into dozens of individual items and filed each one as a separate application through a separate shell company. The intent, of course, was that their actual "operating" company would simply acquire any shell company whose application was successful, and proceed to develop the site, generate power, and collect the FIT payouts. The reverse problem also occurred, with "squatters" filing applications and then attempting to sell the successful ones to actual operating companies. FIT contracts themselves became a sort of black-market commodity.

Because of these sorts of shenanigans, under-delivery is also a problem. You can target 1000MW of new power generation, issue 1000MW worth of FIT contracts, and then find that half of the approved ventures fall apart in the planning/financing stage. So you need to either take a page from the airlines' playbook (overbook using a best-guess estimate of the rate of delivery) or hire extra staff so that you can investigate the applicants, closely monitor their progress, and promptly replace the failures with new applicants. In the case of Ontario, the power agency started collecting security-deposit fees from applicants so that they'd have a greater incentive to actually complete their projects rather than simply flaking out.

In order for the program to succeed, the operating agency (and/or regulators) must understand the business. They must correctly assess the capital costs of new construction, cost of borrowing (interest rates and trends), operating and maintenance costs, availability of materials and skilled labour, etc. Inflation is another important factor; the Ontario FIT program uses different inflation-indicexing policies for the various renewable energy technologies. I don't know their rationale for doing so, but I suspect that it's a bit deceptive - they could offer a modest FIT rate which is fully indexed to inflation, but they hope to attract more participants by offering a very lucrative "introductory rate" which is not indexed at all.

Trying to predict the competitive landscape over a 20-year period is very difficult, so FIT programs sometimes remove it from the equation by including a priority arrangement. That is, "the goverment/operator must buy, at any hour, as much power as <applicant> is able to generate and willing to sell, regardless of whether government/operator could buy said energy cheaper from other sources." Such clauses reduce uncertainty (thereby encouraging participation in FIT programs) but might expose the government/operator/public to greater risk. If we invented cold fusion tomorrow then we'd still have to pay for the obsolete PV power at an elevated price. Such preferential arrangements may also increase the complexity (or reduce the efficiency) of power dispatch operations - but that's beyond my ken.

The exact financial arrangements (e.g. schedule of payments) depend on jurisdiction. If you're bored then you can read up on some of models that were proposed in the UK - "Fixed FIT", "Premium FIT", "FIT CfD", "Regulated Asset Base", and a few more that I can't recall.

-------

Interactions with power source options

FIT programs are generally intended to balance social, technological, and economic factors. For example, they'll sometimes offer a higher rate for rooftop PV than field PV - the former is technologically inferior but it encourages grassroots involvement (at the homeowner/consumer level) and thus achieves a social benefit (fostering "green" attitudes). Solar subsidies are also usually greater than wind ones, not because of any perceived difference in "virtuousness", but simply because solar requires larger subsidies to be cost-competitive in many countries (especially here in Canada - we ain't exactly equatorial). Small-scale power generation projects usually obtain richer subsidies than their large counterparts*, even when using the same tech, because the large ones are expected to benefit from superior management and economies of scale.

Nuclear and fossil energy are not eligible for any FIT program that I know of.

Biogas, hydro, and wind usually attract modest subsidies. They're fairly mature (don't hold your breath for any order-of-magnitude improvements in efficiency!) and have decent EROEI; market logic says that they'll expand without assistance. The FIT subsidy simply speeds things up, which is useful if you're eager to retire a set of coal-fired power plants that you promised to get rid of a few years ago (:blush:).

Of course, people inevitably try to game the system, so the OPA had to clarify the rules - "No, you can't obtain a higher FIT rate by building a bunch of wooden shacks in a field and reclassifying your PV array as 'rooftop.' Stop being a jackass."

The Ontario program even offers a bonus FIT payment for involvement of aboriginal people. This is mostly a "social" thing - trying to make aboriginal communities more self-sufficient, and encouraging aboriginal businesspeople to get involved with renewable energy projects. Ideally, it will also provide experience in deploying renewable power to remote sites, which will be of use in future endeavours (such as mine sites and Arctic military bases, which are often reliant on fossil fuels).

Thus, you can imagine an ideal FIT system as one which perfectly prices-in all positive externalities (environmental, social, etc). We can't institute a carbon tax for political reasons, but we can try to offer rewards to low-carbon or high-virtue power sources. Depending on where you live, these higher rates will either be passed on to the consumer directly (which encourages conservation but hinders economic growth and directly harms the poor) or paid out of general tax revenue (cheap electricity is popular among voters, and it's easier to get people on-board with progressive action when the costs are hidden).

* France took the opposite approach, favouring integrated-power design in large buildings such as hospitals, rather than grid-feed-in from household rooftops. I agree with this approach - so long as we're allocating resources towards any particular technology, I'd prefer to see it deployed in a way that maximizes EROEI.

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Thanks for that post GulMadred.

Lamdo
Jul 22, 2006
Man... No esta bien. How the gently caress is this problem so complicated... There is so much going on here that trying to orchestrate a goddamned thing with actual individual personal interests is just hosed. I guess we'll burn coal. Might make my climate up here better...

Lamdo
Jul 22, 2006
No but really... we need to fix this cause the government won't. what can i dispense to others in the most basic optimistic fashion fitted for a cocktail party cause that's about all i'm good for. I'm trying to find the optimistic parts through the thread, but i just find another variable that road blocks it.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Wow, thanks for that fantastic response GulMadred, that was extremely informative. Someone ought to link to that in the OP has an example of the inner-workings of energy generation. It sounds like FIT programs are still shaking out the bureaucratic bugs. I'm surprised that they're having so many contractual issues - but that might just be coming from an American perspective where every contract is laden with securities and assurances (unless they are deliberately removed to take advantage of government). Does anyone know how we deal with this issue here in the states? My understanding has been that privatization has turned the thing into a bureaucratic nightmare (a la the Enron scandal) but has mostly replaced government liability with consumer liability (i.e. your rates might skyrocket, but your taxes won't change). Of course it also removes our ability to consider non-fiduciary factors entirely. Given the choice, I'd probably choose FIT over Enron.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jan 24, 2013

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Lamdo posted:

Man... No esta bien. How the gently caress is this problem so complicated... There is so much going on here that trying to orchestrate a goddamned thing with actual individual personal interests is just hosed. I guess we'll burn coal. Might make my climate up here better...

We could simplify things and just nationalize energy production and distribution, but of course that's just crazy talk as far as anyone who could make that kind of decision is concerned.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
At a dinner function last night I was introduced to a man who just recently retired from his job with Santee Cooper as one of their nuclear technicians. When I showed great enthusiasm for his career and wanted to pick his brain about nuclear development in this country, his response was "The young folks I talk to tend to think we're some sort of monster and down here especially the perspective is that VC Summer is some sort of ticking time bomb!" Dude said he had enlisted in the Navy's submarine school back in the 50s expecting a sweet vacation on diesel units in the Caribbean, and was real mad when they punted his rear end to the middle of nowhere working on a nuclear ship.

South Carolina is installing two 1,117 MW Gen III Westinghouse reactors. They've started pouring concrete after about 8 years of siting / licensing / regulatory crap. Of all the states I would have thought we would be on the wrongest side of the issue, but apparently it's only us and Georgia currently building new nuclear plants. awesome!

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Stew Man Chew posted:

At a dinner function last night I was introduced to a man who just recently retired from his job with Santee Cooper as one of their nuclear technicians. When I showed great enthusiasm for his career and wanted to pick his brain about nuclear development in this country, his response was "The young folks I talk to tend to think we're some sort of monster and down here especially the perspective is that VC Summer is some sort of ticking time bomb!" Dude said he had enlisted in the Navy's submarine school back in the 50s expecting a sweet vacation on diesel units in the Caribbean, and was real mad when they punted his rear end to the middle of nowhere working on a nuclear ship.

South Carolina is installing two 1,117 MW Gen III Westinghouse reactors. They've started pouring concrete after about 8 years of siting / licensing / regulatory crap. Of all the states I would have thought we would be on the wrongest side of the issue, but apparently it's only us and Georgia currently building new nuclear plants. awesome!
Nuclear is pretty common east of the MS. It has an absolutely rear end-backwards perception in America. It's hated by ignorant Greenies, and supported by conservatives, despite the fact it's the single fastest way to create a non-CO2 baseload power.

I'm interested to see Pandora's Promise when it comes out. Might stand a chance at converting some viewpoints.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Citigroup has released an 85 page report projecting that US will achieve energy indepence (with the exception of canada) within 5 years.

For those more interested in the ecological impact, there is some good news in that the trucking industry seems to be converting from diesel to natural gas much quicker than expected. However that good news will likely be offset by the fact that achieving energy independence will likely cause alternate energy projects to lose political support.

Looks like this will have lots of good short term economic impact for the US, but what do you guys think about the global economic and geoploitical impact? Sounds like it could be quite destablizing. Seems like it could lead to civil conflict due to economic distress in nations that depend on oil exports to fund their budgets. Nigeria, where there is already quite a bit of religious strife between Christians and Muslims, would seem quite vulnerable.

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/economywatch/us-fast-track-energy-independence-report-suggests-1C8344034

quote:

US is on fast-track to energy independence, report suggests

U.S. oil and gas production is evolving so rapidly — and demand is dropping so quickly — that in just five years the U.S. could no longer need to buy oil from any source but Canada, according to Citigroup's global head of commodities research.

Citigroup's Edward Morse, in a new report, projects a dramatic reshaping of the global energy industry, where the U.S., in a matter of years, becomes an exporter of energy, instead of one of the biggest importers.

The shift could sharply reduce the price of oil, and therefore limit the revenues of the producing nations of OPEC, as well as Russia and West Africa. Those nations face new challenges: Not only are the U.S. and Canada increasing output, but Iraq increasingly is realizing its potential as an oil producer, adding 600,000 barrels a day of production annually for the next several years.

"OPEC will find it challenging to survive another 60 years, let alone another decade," the report by Morse and other Citi analysts said. "But not all of the consequences are positive, for when it comes to the geopolitics of energy, the likely outcomes are asymmetric, with clear cut winner and losers."

The U.S. is a winner in many ways. Its super power status could be prolonged because of this new growth in oil and shale gas production, made possible by "fracking" and other non-conventional drilling technologies.

Crude oil generated the largest single annual increase in liquids production in U.S. history last year, with an increase of 1.16 million barrels per day. Oil production is booming in places like Texas and North Dakota, which has the lowest unemployment in the country at just 3 percent last September, compared to the national rate of 7.8 percent then.

Citi analysts also foresee a new era of U.S. industrialization, fueled by cheaper power. They cite dozens of industrial projects across America that have already begun or are planned, in such industries as auto, chemicals and steel.

The oil producing nations of OPEC, and others, will have to adjust to a world of lower prices.

Brent crude, the international benchmark, could trade in a new lower range of $70 to $90 per barrel by the end of the decade, from its recent range of $90 to $120 per barrel, Citi projects. That would be below the break-even levels required by many producing countries. The price required by Saudi Arabia is $71, and Kuwait is $44 per barrel, but many other countries have break-even levels of $110 or greater.

"This is a momentous year for what's happening, and we're having almost two million barrels a day of pipeline capacity built out in the U.S.," Morse said on "Fast Money." "The U.S. is actually going to push out about 700,000 barrels a day of light sweet crude imports this year. We think as a result of that, plus production elsewhere, we think the price is going to average, by the time you get to December, $10 less than where it is right now."

As the U.S. and Canada rise, some oil producing countries could face the threat of becoming "failed states" as their leadership grapples with greater pressure for economic and political reform while resource revenues decline, the report said. Others, especially China, could make up for some of the demand, but not all.

"Nigeria, the picture is fairly bleak. Venezuela is pretty bleak," Morse said.

As for Russia, "if it is the case that what is now a $90 Brent floor price becomes a $90 Brent ceiling price, given the dominance of hydrocarbon exports in Russian revenue, there could be a three percent hit to GDP which is by no means insignificant over the next five years, because that's how critical hydrocarbons are," he said. "Here you have a country that requires, on its own public record, $117 per barrel Urals crude, on average, to balance their budget. If the price of oil collapses to only as low as $90 a barrel, it does have that order-of-magnitude effect."

At the same time, Citi sees a big impact on the U.S. economy. The current account deficit is about 3.2 percent of GDP, and the oil import bill is 1.7 percent of GDP. Citi expects that energy self-sufficiency, combined with the impact of low natural gas prices, could cut the current account deficit by up to 2.4 percent of GDP, with an associated improvement in the dollar of 1.6 to 5.4 percent.

To realize this production boom, the energy industry's near-term challenge is moving the U.S. and Canadian oil that is locked in the heart of the continent because of insufficient pipeline transportation. Citi expects that to improve but in the meantime, the railroad industry is helping pick up the slack, shipping U.S. crude across the continent, and creating big demand for rail tanker cars.

Interdependent North America
The Citi report, titled "Energy 2020: Independence Day," also projects a larger and quicker decline in demand for oil in the U.S. over the next decade or two, due to efficiency and the shift to cheaper natural gas.

For instance, Citi expects 30 percent of the U.S. heavy duty truck fleet to turn to natural gas-based fuel by 2015, well above the 10 percent it previously forecast. That would reduce diesel demand by an estimated 600,000 barrels per day. It also expects new automotive efficiency standards to reduce U.S. oil production by two million barrels per day, up from the one million forecast last year.

"Starting this year, North American output, as we indicate in this report, should start to have tangible impacts both on global prices and trading patterns, and will eventually turn the global geopolitics of energy on its head," the report said.

Morse surprised markets a year ago with a report that envisioned the U.S. as part of an energy independent North America. Since then, the view has become mainstream. The International Energy Agency forecast last fall that the U.S. will overtake Saudi Arabia and Russia as the top oil producer by 2017. The IEA also forecast that North America could become a net oil exporter by around 2030 and the U.S. could become nearly self-sufficient by 2035.

Morse's latest report, released Tuesday, has an even more aggressive view of the U.S. move to dominance as an energy producer.

If crude oil and field condensates, natural gas liquids, renewable fuels and refinery processing gains are counted, the report put U.S. production at 11.2 million barrels per day at the end of 2012, making the U.S. the biggest oil producer already last year.

Canadian production is expected to increase to 6.5 million barrels per day, and even Mexico is now expected to join the North America energy renaissance under a new government interested in exploiting its resources.

In the past six years, oil imports into the United States have been cut in half, after peaking in 2006.

"The numbers are striking. The month of peak was 12.6 million barrels a day in October 2006 and ... now it's under six, and by late 2012 totaled 6.8 million bpd," Morse said in an interview.

Since 2006, U.S. oil field production of crude, plus natural gas liquids and bio-fuels has grown by three million barrels a day, about the same as the total output of Iran, Iraq, or Venezuela. In the same period, Canadian production has grown by 510,000 barrels a day.

"The impact of this extraordinary production growth is becoming increasingly apparent and even if the growth rate subsides in the years ahead the mushrooming impacts of this growth will have dramatic impacts," the report said. "A half decade from now combined US and Canadian output will be in surplus of projected needs. Over the next five years, demand for natural gas in the US should catch up with supply, opening up unexpected opportunities in transportation and igniting a re-industrialization of the country."

Morse, in an interview, said the U.S. could in theory need to import only from Canada within five years. "Our projection of U.S. supply growth and U.S. demand collapse is to levels where the U.S. will not need to import oil from any other country except for Canada," he said.

He expects to see a fight for market share in the U.S. and the ultimate result will be that the U.S. could re-export some Canadian crude. "But technically there should be no room for anyone else's crude," he noted.

But this does not mean the U.S. will be immune to price spikes, even with its growing supply. "Disruptions actually affect the price of oil globally and the more integrated we are in the world oil economy, the more we're going to be impacted by it. If there's a price spike, we're going to feel the price spike but the weight of our production is going to make that prices pike come from a much lower base in the future than it is now," Morse said on "Fast Money."

2013 — a year of change
U.S. oil has been landlocked in the Midwest, lacking a strong transportation system to bring supply to refining areas. A hodge podge of pipeline and rail transport has taken over, as the industry awaits further pipeline development, including the stalled Keystone pipeline.

But Citi points out that 2013 brings big change, what it calls "the most dramatic year of change ever in light sweet crude flows." Pipeline capacity in the U.S. will expand by 1.7 million barrels a day, and up to 600,000 barrels of new rail capacity will be opened between the U.S. and Canada. The report said there is an expected near doubling of receiving capacity of rail-shipped oil from 2012 to 2013.

The industry has innovated where necessary. Lacking pipelines, over half the North Dakota crude production, of 480,000 barrels a day at the end of 2012, was estimated to have been moved by rail. Much of it went to St. James, La., and Port Arthur, Texas and Mobile, Ala. Bakken is also being railed to facilities in Albany, N.Y., and New Brunswick, Canada.

The report also points out the big backlog in rail cars, many of them tank and hopper railcars. Citi said American Railcar Industries last fall said backlog for rail-cars at the end of September was 61,400, and 75 percent were tank rail-cars. Tank rail-cars transport materials like crude, chemicals, propane ethanol and asphalt.

Independent North America
The report describes how shipments of oil from West Africa have been waning and as early as this summer, West African crude shipments into the U.S. Gulf Coast could be unnecessary. East Coast refiners could also decrease dependence on West African crude, replacing more imports with midcontinent oil, brought in by rail from Pennsylvania and Virginia to upstate New York and New Jersey. That would also have a likely impact on gasoline prices, currently at record highs for this time of year because of refining issues.

There is also pressure to move light sweet crude from the Gulf Coast to higher value locations. For instance, Morse expects to see light sweet crude move form the U.S. Gulf Coast to eastern Canada, displacing more West African imports to North America.

Citi expects that within two years, there could be pressure for more exports to other destinations or for pipelines on the East Coast or to change laws that would allow shipping of crude from the Gulf Coast to the East Coast by non-U.S. flagged ships.

By the end of 2014, Citi expects that sour Canadian crude should make its way to the Gulf Coast by way of new pipelines and that should provide a challenge for other producers shipping to the Gulf Coast, including Saudi Arabia, Iraq, Kuwait , Venezuela and Mexico. Morse says they could be pushed out by Canadian crude, or these producers could preserve market share by cutting prices.

Canadian and U.S. crude should be delivered in greater quantities to the U.S. East Coast and Gulf Coast by mid-decade. A happenstance of poor transportation for all this energy wealth leaves Canadian crude locked in North America, but with exporting ability through the U.S. Gulf Coast until pipelines are approved and built in Canada. Morse said if that were to happen, Canada could see an export boom to the Pacific basin, turning Canadian crude into the benchmark for that region.

The report notes that even before Canada builds pipelines to the Pacific: "There should be exports of crude from the U.S. Gulf Coast -- Canadian crude for sure and potentially U.S. crude if the U.S. succumbs to economic logic and lifts current multiple bans on exports," the report said.

Asked how his report has been received so far, Morse said, with an ironic laugh, that he's had some "push back but not as much as last year."

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

Charlz Guybon posted:

Citigroup has released an 85 page report projecting that US will achieve energy indepence (with the exception of canada) within 5 years.

For those more interested in the ecological impact, there is some good news in that the trucking industry seems to be converting from diesel to natural gas much quicker than expected. However that good news will likely be offset by the fact that achieving energy independence will likely cause alternate energy projects to lose political support.

Looks like this will have lots of good short term economic impact for the US, but what do you guys think about the global economic and geoploitical impact? Sounds like it could be quite destablizing. Seems like it could lead to civil conflict due to economic distress in nations that depend on oil exports to fund their budgets. Nigeria, where there is already quite a bit of religious strife between Christians and Muslims, would seem quite vulnerable.

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/economywatch/us-fast-track-energy-independence-report-suggests-1C8344034

Meh. Energy independence for awhile. It is still all about pulling hydrocarbons out of the ground, and we know that can't last forever. What happens when fracking pulls out the last drops and trucking burns up all the cheap natural gas?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Charlz Guybon posted:

What's the difference? All the major US extractors are privately owned and we charge practically no taxes on extraction. The lower prices are much less a function of independence and more of global supply vs demand, especially as liquefaction takes off. There's no particular benefit to the US from energy "independence", all the gains are pretty much all going to a handful of companies and their heavily concentrated and international owners.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
Charge practically no taxes, hell states like Pennsylvania gave massive tax breaks to private companies full of out of state workers to "stimulate" the economy.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009
I also find it to be kind of dishonest, to out right bullshit, when people mention the oil boom in North Dakota and the low unemployment there.

It is a state of about 700,000 people. It is also one of the few states to ever experience a sustained population decline. Moving the unemployment rate there doesn't take a whole lot of hiring.

NBC News comes off as a free market shill of the conservative AM radio variety for even bothering to mention it. As if every state could just drill and frack its way to jobs and prosperity. Why can't we all be more like North Dakota?

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

I also find it to be kind of dishonest, to out right bullshit, when people mention the oil boom in North Dakota and the low unemployment there.

It is a state of about 700,000 people. It is also one of the few states to ever experience a sustained population decline. Moving the unemployment rate there doesn't take a whole lot of hiring.

NBC News comes off as a free market shill of the conservative AM radio variety for even bothering to mention it. As if every state could just drill and frack its way to jobs and prosperity. Why can't we all be more like North Dakota?

North Dakota with its state owned Mill and state owned Bank and the State owned pipeline authority and the state bank and tribal owned refinery soon to be under construction? Make no mistake, the southern led Republican party offer nothing for the state of North Dakota.

Dengue_Fever
Sep 21, 2011

Hobo Erotica posted:

Also quickly, 228 TWh is current consumption, but the ZCA plan produces 325 TWh/year. So the American cost is (theoretically) down to $4.3 trillion, or $425 billion per year.

But also, that plan is specifically for Australia, so we'd need to do a proper analyis of America's needs to compare them properly.

Now or at any point in the future, is America capable of forking out (summoning from thin air) that kind of money? I mean, we did in regards to the wars in the middle east.

According to market watch:

quote:

The nine-year-old Iraq war came to an official end on Thursday, but paying for it will continue for decades until U.S. taxpayers have shelled out an estimated $4 trillion.

So, we have shelled out that kind of money in the past, so I suppose the question is, can we do it again at this point? Honestly I have no idea. Is our debt ceiling limitless? Could somebody with more knowledge on economics help me out?

This is wild speculation, but perhaps the military resources and budget will be diverted to building emergency power plants when oil and coal really starts to dwindle.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Dengue_Fever posted:

This is wild speculation, but perhaps the military resources and budget will be diverted to building emergency power plants when oil and coal really starts to dwindle.

That isn't a risk in the foreseeable future. The US has for all intents and purposes limitless coal reserves, a shitload of gas, and plenty of oil if we're willing to give a little on extraction costs. Prices may go up, but that's about it. Burning all that stuff will ruin the environment before it runs out.

Dengue_Fever
Sep 21, 2011

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

That isn't a risk in the foreseeable future. The US has for all intents and purposes limitless coal reserves, a shitload of gas, and plenty of oil if we're willing to give a little on extraction costs. Prices may go up, but that's about it. Burning all that stuff will ruin the environment before it runs out.

I agree that it'll ruin the environment before it runs out, but it will run out, the sticky question is how fast?

What do you base your statement on?

I have not read too much into the different data sets but here are some facts about reassessment of estimated reserves (via Wikipedia)

quote:

Are Published Reserve Figures Overstated?

Several analyses of coal reserves have concluded that published figures are too high.

Energy Watch Group: In 2007, Energy Watch Group, a private research group initiated by the German member of parliament Hans-Josef Fell, completed an analysis of worldwide reserve figures.[11] The study concluded that "data quality of coal reserves and resources is poor, both on global and national levels." Although published reserve figures were lowered by 50 percent between 1980 and 2005, the study argued that the worldwide reserve estimates still appeared to be too high. In a number of countries, careful evaluation of published reserve figures had resulted in a downgrading of those figures, in several cases by 99 percent. For example:

Germany: In 2004, without explanation, Germany downgraded its estimate of proven hard coal reserves from 23 billion tons to 0.183 billion tons, a 99 percent reduction.
United Kingdom: The "proved recoverable coal reserves" were of the United Kingdom were reported at 45 billion tons in 1980. In 2004 the figure was reduced to 0.22 billion tons, a 99+ percent reduction.
Botswana: In 1980 Botswana reported 3.5 billions tons of "proved recoverable reserves." In the WEC 2004 Survey the "proved recoverable reserves" were lowered to 40 million tons, a 99 percent reduction.

Another problem was that published figures had not been revised to account for production over time. For example, China's official coal reserve figures have not been revised since in 1992, "in spite of the fact that about 20 percent of their then stated reserves have been produced since then."

The numbers are hardly reliable, and are easily subject to really anyone's manipulation. The 'anyones' who have a lot of money and power and are pretty high up on the corporate/governmental ladder probably manipulate the most effectively though.

My view is that these numbers are all inflated to boost market confidence, share prices, etc. Actually, that's really why the freely available info wouldn't be accurate. If you had such valuable information in relation to markets, would you dump it willy-nilly? Well, maybe you would, but first you'd have to not be a greedy industrialist/stock holder.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Dengue_Fever posted:

I agree that it'll ruin the environment before it runs out, but it will run out, the sticky question is how fast?

What do you base your statement on?

I have not read too much into the different data sets but here are some facts about reassessment of estimated reserves (via Wikipedia)

The numbers are hardly reliable, and are easily subject to really anyone's manipulation. The 'anyones' who have a lot of money and power and are pretty high up on the corporate/governmental ladder probably manipulate the most effectively though.

My view is that these numbers are all inflated to boost market confidence, share prices, etc. Actually, that's really why the freely available info wouldn't be accurate. If you had such valuable information in relation to markets, would you dump it willy-nilly? Well, maybe you would, but first you'd have to not be a greedy industrialist/stock holder.

I'm not going to claim that current estimates are entirely accurate, but you're thinking too far into the future. Current estimates of recoverable reserves don't matter much beyond a generation or so, mining technology specifically and energy technology generally will have completely changed by then. For example, coal accessible with mountaintop removal probably wasn't being counted in the 1950s, and energy extractors are drilling underwater today at depths that they probably couldn't even explore 20 years ago. Think about all the production today from shale oil and fracking. For the forecastable (read: short-term) future, there is enough in the ground. Too much, really, when you look at the rate of climate change.

Not to mention, it's not like a mine or well just goes from producing normally to empty, there are diminishing returns. If/when currently recoverable reserves start to near their end, prices will go up and more will be economically accessible - when oil prices shot up, a ton of "empty" wells suddenly started producing again with new (and more expensive) techniques that weren't economical before.

Dengue_Fever
Sep 21, 2011

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I'm not going to claim that current estimates are entirely accurate, but you're thinking too far into the future. Current estimates of recoverable reserves don't matter much beyond a generation or so, mining technology specifically and energy technology generally will have completely changed by then.

So you think that developments in mining/drilling technology will be able keep up with demand in the space of, let's say a generation is about 25 years, until viable renewables emerge?

I suppose it's feasible, but I'm no longer a subscriber to the belief that technological innovation and progress is unlimited. We are not gods.

I guess we'll just have to wait it out. :(

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009
The fact that we are actually producing from tar sands and oil shale means we are scraping the bottom of the barrel. There really isn't much "too hard to get to right now" oil after that stuff is gone, and we aren't doing a whole lot to curb our consumption either.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

The fact that we are actually producing from tar sands and oil shale means we are scraping the bottom of the barrel. There really isn't much "too hard to get to right now" oil after that stuff is gone, and we aren't doing a whole lot to curb our consumption either.

Yeah be we still have an awful lot of it, which will in general be produced at gradually decreasing amounts for years to come.

satan!!!
Nov 7, 2012
This article by Vaclav Smil provides an alternative viewpoint to the one being discussed here.

The takeaway is that oil production hasn't peaked, probably won't for at least a decade and probably will be non-catastrophic, to say the least, given the huge and varied forcing functions to adopt alternative energy sources. I think there is a lot of room for optimism on the oil.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Just stumbled upon this thread and this is actually stuff I'm very interested in (due to having an Electrical Engineering minor).

Out of curiosity has there been any talk about using biomass (basically burning anything from manure to weeds) for power? I listened to an interesting lecture from Clifford Fedler, one of the professors at Texas Tech's College of Civil Engineering (took him for fluids, he's a pretty cool guy) and he had some interesting things to say. He does a lot of work with wastewater systems and such and has some pretty crazy ideas that he's actually made work, albeit on test scales. Basically he was taking in manure from ranches nearby, tossing it in a tank and then simultaneously growing all sorts of plants for study WHILE growing fish in the same tanks to study/eat. It's a bit more scientific than that, but that's the end result. The crop could be anything, from algae to duckweed (which can be used as cattle feed) to water hyacinth, which grows at an absurd rate. The numbers he gave were that if he could round up all the manure from ranches and farms around the country (pig, cow, turkey, etc.) he could produce something close to 35 MWh worth of power. Use it to fertilize a crop of water hyacinth he could multiply the amount of power he got out by 10 to 12 times or more to something closer to 500 MWh because water hyacinths grow like mad (something like 85 tons/acre/year I think was the numbers he used). Where's all that extra power coming from? The sun, it's basically bio-solar power...all while growing a cash crop of salmon or river bass in the same greenhouse tanks to sell at the same time.

I'm curious if anyone else has thought or researched along those lines and can reaffirm the research or has come across the opposite.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

There's been a ton of research into producing energy from biomass. The huge problem all of this has is that producing energy from very low energy density materials is that the total energy produced has to compete with the amount of energy it takes to harvest and ship to a power plant. In the case of something like corn ethanol production you get less energy out than it takes to produce it.

Dengue_Fever
Sep 21, 2011

satan!!! posted:

This article by Vaclav Smil provides an alternative viewpoint to the one being discussed here.

The takeaway is that oil production hasn't peaked, probably won't for at least a decade and probably will be non-catastrophic, to say the least, given the huge and varied forcing functions to adopt alternative energy sources. I think there is a lot of room for optimism on the oil.

Well, I don't want to cast dispersions on Mr. Smil, but he wrote that for the "American Enterprise Group," the conservative think tank also known for offering to bribe scientists to criticize the man-made global warming theory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Enterprise_Institute#Global_warming

Look there's so much conflicting information out there that varies so much I wonder how, with our technology, something as simple (but I'm not a geologist, so what do I know) as a geological survey could yield such drastically different information. It almost makes one wonder if there's any money at play, shadowy brokers, hmmm..gee I wonder.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

Alkydere posted:

Out of curiosity has there been any talk about using biomass (basically burning anything from manure to weeds) for power?

BZE (because you all so love hearing about that) use biomass backup for their Zero Carbon Australia plan.

satan!!!
Nov 7, 2012

Dengue_Fever posted:

Well, I don't want to cast dispersions on Mr. Smil, but he wrote that for the "American Enterprise Group," the conservative think tank also known for offering to bribe scientists to criticize the man-made global warming theory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Enterprise_Institute#Global_warming

Look there's so much conflicting information out there that varies so much I wonder how, with our technology, something as simple (but I'm not a geologist, so what do I know) as a geological survey could yield such drastically different information. It almost makes one wonder if there's any money at play, shadowy brokers, hmmm..gee I wonder.

They didn't write it though, he did. Smil is one of the respected names in energy and environmental science, and he takes a lot of positions that jive with D&D such as reducing conspicuous consumption and eating less meat and so on. It just so happens that in this case that the conservative think tank is correct.

askholic
Mar 24, 2013

Dusseldorf posted:

There's been a ton of research into producing energy from biomass. The huge problem all of this has is that producing energy from very low energy density materials is that the total energy produced has to compete with the amount of energy it takes to harvest and ship to a power plant. In the case of something like corn ethanol production you get less energy out than it takes to produce it.

I do think you are wrong about biomass on many levels.The energy density of biomass is not "very low". For example switchgrass and woods after drying has a energy density around half of the gasoline. Right now biomass is usually utilized close to where it is harvested so there is no hell lot of money spent on shipping. Also, we don't plant loads of biomass solely for the purpose of burning it for energy so far and most of the biomass feedstock comes from the parts we don't eat on a plant and would otherwise be wasted. So I can't see how we produce less energy out than it takes to produce it.

Here are some facts, in year 2006 3.3 quads of biomass energy was produced and the same year EIA estimated 1.4 quads energy in total spent in US farms including fertilizers, labors, electricity, other source of energy etc. This 1.4 quads energy invested not only returned the food you and other people eat but also the 3.3 quads biomass energy...so I guess it should be pretty clear that we are not wasting our time and money on biomass.

About the corn ethanol, it is true this is an extremely low efficient solid to liquid conversion as yeast consumes glucose as food and give us ethanol as waste, thus resulting a further 50% energy lost in this process. However, only less than 10% of biomass energy nowadays is coming from biofuel and my gut tells me biofuel is still profitable and even economic competitive even though it might not be produced in the most energy efficient process .

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Besides, Ethanol is for drinking. :tinsley:

BigBobio
May 1, 2009

askholic posted:

Here are some facts, in year 2006 3.3 quads of biomass energy was produced and the same year EIA estimated 1.4 quads energy in total spent in US farms including fertilizers, labors, electricity, other source of energy etc. This 1.4 quads energy invested not only returned the food you and other people eat but also the 3.3 quads biomass energy...so I guess it should be pretty clear that we are not wasting our time and money on biomass.

About the corn ethanol, it is true this is an extremely low efficient solid to liquid conversion as yeast consumes glucose as food and give us ethanol as waste, thus resulting a further 50% energy lost in this process. However, only less than 10% of biomass energy nowadays is coming from biofuel and my gut tells me biofuel is still profitable and even economic competitive even though it might not be produced in the most energy efficient process .

~2/3 of that 3.3 quads of biomass energy is from wood and wood-derived products, which are not things (for the most part) used to make biofuels. Generating power from woody biomass is old technology, obviously. But it makes a poor transportation fuel, and unfortunately, the technology for transforming lignocellulosic material into liquid fuels at a cost competitive with petroleum-derived fuels is simply not there right now, and most likely won't be for a while. The only reason cellulosic ethanol is blended into gasoline is government mandate.

askholic
Mar 24, 2013
*/

BigBobio posted:

~2/3 of that 3.3 quads of biomass energy is from wood and wood-derived products, which are not things (for the most part) used to make biofuels. Generating power from woody biomass is old technology, obviously. But it makes a poor transportation fuel, and unfortunately, the technology for transforming lignocellulosic material into liquid fuels at a cost competitive with petroleum-derived fuels is simply not there right now, and most likely won't be for a while. The only reason cellulosic ethanol is blended into gasoline is government mandate.

Oh I agree with you, I was simply arguing that we do get more energy out of biomass than the energy we put into them. I don't see a big future in biomass myself despite whatever government incentives are there to offer. I read about almost all the major biomass liquid fuel conversion methods so far and none of them strike me as remotely cost competitive now or in the near future , and even if technology is no longer a difficulty the feedstock itself is problematic: where to grow these energy crops? who would grow them?( Assume we are not going back to cutting woods!) And even if we utilize all the farm land now in the states to grow energy crops(switchgrass)we will only get about 70 quads out before conversion, so biomass is simply not the savior for the energy shortage here.

About the cellulosic ethanol thing, I am not sure but I think it is pretty standard to mix 10% ethanol into gasoline nowadays and that hit the maximum an average US car can stand, so basically from 2009 the production and consumption have flattened out. For sure EIA would push for more but I don't think the percentage of ethanol would be further increase in the near future.

BigBobio
May 1, 2009

askholic posted:

and even if technology is no longer a difficulty the feedstock itself is problematic: where to grow these energy crops? who would grow them?( Assume we are not going back to cutting woods!) And even if we utilize all the farm land now in the states to grow energy crops(switchgrass)we will only get about 70 quads out before conversion, so biomass is simply not the savior for the energy shortage here.

About the cellulosic ethanol thing, I am not sure but I think it is pretty standard to mix 10% ethanol into gasoline nowadays and that hit the maximum an average US car can stand, so basically from 2009 the production and consumption have flattened out. For sure EIA would push for more but I don't think the percentage of ethanol would be further increase in the near future.

The 10 % ethanol is from corn (mostly), so its not cellulosic, its from starch, a different technology.

I did a back of the envelope calculation a few years back using the DOE 'billion ton' study. The US could only sustainably produce ~30% of its liquid transportation fuel needs from lignocellulosic biomass. Even if we could convert the cell wall matter cheaply, biofuels are simply not a panacea for gasoline/diesel use, unfortunately.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Domestic generation has to be part of any future energy mix.

For example, why not mandate any new house must have a solar panel system for power and hot water, in addition to a geothermal heating/cooling system. Right there, you've made many houses almost carbon neutral. Have a tax deduction that pays for it - and on average this setup would add 15-30K to each new house. In good climates you've got thousands of small solar power sites sending power back into the grid on a regular (sunny) basis.

What's the downside? I can't see any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

redshirt posted:

For example, why not mandate any new house must have a solar panel system for power and hot water, in addition to a geothermal heating/cooling system.

Because that's expensive, because there's a problem of way too much existing housing stock that needs to be used up, because there's a lot of places with very minimal usefulness for both solar and geothermal.