Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
How are Beastlords these days? I never played one and was getting an itch. I also have a Shaman, Mage, and Cleric around 60, and a 70 SK. Is there any "oh my god we need one of those" there? Of all of those which is the best to play these days? ( I figure SK still is, but I may want to play something else)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

Comfortador posted:

How are Beastlords these days? I never played one and was getting an itch. I also have a Shaman, Mage, and Cleric around 60, and a 70 SK. Is there any "oh my god we need one of those" there? Of all of those which is the best to play these days? ( I figure SK still is, but I may want to play something else)

I would guess a healer type, because most people don't play them, because mercs.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

acumen posted:

One more thing, could anyone tell me how to increase mouse x-axis sensitivity? I have it maxed and I still turn faster with the keyboard.

Try setting your max frames per second to something reasonable like 60 - that should fix the slow mouselook x-axis problem.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
So I'm thinking this weekend of spinning up a few extra accounts and practicing multi-boxing. I'd like to level up a Mage and a Shaman because, hey, I always wanted one.

I would assume that right off the bat at lvl 25 I'd want a tank and healer merc, what's the best places to go to level as quick as possible from 25-60? Keep in mind I haven't really played since PoP days.

And what would be the best "backup" character to bring to help powerlevel out of group? I have a 51 druid, 65 cleric, 66 necro, 71 bard...would the cleric be best for heals when things get crazy?

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Medullah posted:

So I'm thinking this weekend of spinning up a few extra accounts and practicing multi-boxing. I'd like to level up a Mage and a Shaman because, hey, I always wanted one.

I would assume that right off the bat at lvl 25 I'd want a tank and healer merc, what's the best places to go to level as quick as possible from 25-60? Keep in mind I haven't really played since PoP days.

And what would be the best "backup" character to bring to help powerlevel out of group? I have a 51 druid, 65 cleric, 66 necro, 71 bard...would the cleric be best for heals when things get crazy?

If you were going to straight level them with no powerleveling I'd get 2 tank mercs and buff them up on your druid and let them wreck house. The druid heals are fine for a low level merc. I was able to plevel a mage from 1-50 on a live server with a shaman buffing the tank merc in about 4 hours. You'd be better off trying to power level it though... not sure if the 71 bard is high enough for that or not.

Perick
May 27, 2003
GoonGrrrls = Teh WIN
Good god, you hit 40 that fast? I just saw you in the tutorial last night or the night before I think.

I /testbuffed my gnome necro Gnoggin and I copied my gnome mage Fanimin over. I hope to be able to check out some of the old world dungeons that I never got to see 11 years ago :)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Vomik posted:

If you were going to straight level them with no powerleveling I'd get 2 tank mercs and buff them up on your druid and let them wreck house. The druid heals are fine for a low level merc. I was able to plevel a mage from 1-50 on a live server with a shaman buffing the tank merc in about 4 hours. You'd be better off trying to power level it though... not sure if the 71 bard is high enough for that or not.

I don't really know if any of my characters can effectively powerlevel. My Bard is 71, but only has about 100 AAs. I would love to powerlevel, but I really don't know the best way to do that with my set up.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007
Also, I testcopied my Warrior over, hes 57 or 58, but the key thing is he has a Pegasus Feather Cloak available for MQage. I was gonna level him, but any mages that haven't gotten, or want to get their 1.0, I have that bottleneck open on test, and i can keep testcopying it over before i start to level him up.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Wait...wait.

What I said was...

...Do you understand?
Anyone have an opinion on Beastlords?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

iNteg posted:

Also, I testcopied my Warrior over, hes 57 or 58, but the key thing is he has a Pegasus Feather Cloak available for MQage. I was gonna level him, but any mages that haven't gotten, or want to get their 1.0, I have that bottleneck open on test, and i can keep testcopying it over before i start to level him up.

Depending on how quick I can level the newbie mage up that I was discussing earlier I'd love to take you up on that. :)

Perick
May 27, 2003
GoonGrrrls = Teh WIN

iNteg posted:

I'd love to get it, my baby mage is 37 right now. Fanimin is his name.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Beastlords are good but really spammy if you want to eke the most DPS out of it so pick something braindead to box. I do ye olde classic BST/DRU so I can mash through LB content but when I pop mercs out my druid feels superfluous sometimes. A shaman is never an incorrect choice to box with a melee.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Comfortador posted:

Anyone have an opinion on Beastlords?

Last page jetz0r (from a raider persepective) said BST have insane sustained dps.

I've found almost every class in EQ is worth playing and enjoying nowadays. Maybe the weakest are ENC and WAR from a pure group perspective

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Pilsner posted:

If you're playing on Test, you won't lose out on anything since everyone has all the Veteran Rewards on Test. You also won't lack any /claims, since that feature was introduced in modern times. However, you won't have anything special to claim since you haven't bought any expansions, but it's fine. Loyalty points are accumulated by having been a paid member, and are also a new-ish feature, so don't worry.

Actually new accounts have better claims than old accounts. They get gift of legacies lost for each character which is 10 xp potions and they get the only heirloom XP potions in the game which is probably the best item for Test that exists. I'm considering creating a new account claiming 3 bottles and transfering that character to my SK's account so he can test copy a ton.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

iNteg posted:

I have 4 mages who need their 1.0 :) One is 75 and the rest are all level 61 right now. I'd love to at least get the level 75's epic done if you feel inclined to help a fellow goon!

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

iNteg posted:

I actually would enjoy that too, Integ - I have a baby mage for whom I have several bits of the 1.0, and I really do not want to camp Quillmane. Honestly, that cloak is still such a hot property that I would suggest that you make a new warrior. I will even used my druid and SK to PL the gently caress out of you if you do.

General announcement: I think that I am going to do a run through Sky on Friday (tomorrow) night starting about 7 or 8 Eastern. I will also be getting steadily more intoxicated throughout. I have never gotten past Island 5 of Sky but have always wanted to do the whole thing, farm some epic drops, and hopefully get the crown for the mage 1.0 up on 7. If anyone wants to join me, that would be grand. Mercs work just fine on Sky, so I would love to one-box with 2 other goons minimum and have a full group of 3 PCs + 3 mercs (my wizard and druid are J5 now as well). That said, as the mage crown is droppable, if anyone has one on live to copy, that would be a load off of my mind.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Anyone want the classic EQ midis? http://www.mirsoft.info/gmb/music_info.php?id_file=MTQ3OA==

The newer music is just mp3s in the game folders, if any of you want to listen to those.

Wask
May 2, 2003
I punch midgets for fun
To all the pro SKs out there, how do I efficiently split pull? I have the tools, just haven't figured out how to use them. I did manage one good split but it took me 5 minutes.

Now that I'm 85 and messing around in harder zones I can't just pull 3-4 things and decide to face tank them all. If I blow every cooldown in my group I have a 50/50 shot of surviving.

Creative Bicycle
Apr 19, 2001

I have a hole!

Vomik posted:

I've found almost every class in EQ is worth playing and enjoying nowadays. Maybe the weakest are ENC and WAR from a pure group perspective

Don't yet know how good or bad warriors are at the 80+ game (levelling one now, only 71 with like 700aa), but I have an 88 enchanter and I can say that they might be the most misunderstood class in EQ overall. Enchanters don't heal or dps (I mean, they technically have dots and nukes, but they're pretty awful). but they do everything else, including the number one thing people just don't know about : having a fuckton of auras and being able to have 2 of them up at once. Enchanters have auras for: mana reiterate, pulsing rune effects, + exp gain, increasing mana pools, mana regen (stacks with everything), lowering resistances on mobs, reduced reaction radius, and increasing charm effects (these are just what I can recall off the top of my head).

Enchanter haste is somewhat underrated; I'm not sure how many people are aweare that on top of attack speed increases, the level 86 enc haste (for example) buffs: atk, str, dex, increases crit chance by 30%, increase crit damage by 7%, and increase triple attack chance by 14%. And, of course, any time poo poo has ever hit the fan in HoT I just cast the ae mez and then sort out the adds one by one. Enchanters own, they just aren't instant gratification dps/heal bitches that most other classes are.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Creative Bicycle posted:

Don't yet know how good or bad warriors are at the 80+ game (levelling one now, only 71 with like 700aa), but I have an 88 enchanter and I can say that they might be the most misunderstood class in EQ overall. Enchanters don't heal or dps (I mean, they technically have dots and nukes, but they're pretty awful). but they do everything else, including the number one thing people just don't know about : having a fuckton of auras and being able to have 2 of them up at once. Enchanters have auras for: mana reiterate, pulsing rune effects, + exp gain, increasing mana pools, mana regen (stacks with everything), lowering resistances on mobs, reduced reaction radius, and increasing charm effects (these are just what I can recall off the top of my head).

Enchanter haste is somewhat underrated; I'm not sure how many people are aweare that on top of attack speed increases, the level 86 enc haste (for example) buffs: atk, str, dex, increases crit chance by 30%, increase crit damage by 7%, and increase triple attack chance by 14%. And, of course, any time poo poo has ever hit the fan in HoT I just cast the ae mez and then sort out the adds one by one. Enchanters own, they just aren't instant gratification dps/heal bitches that most other classes are.

Thank you for posting this. I have been keen to play an enchanter properly for some time (and do the adorable epic 1.0), but was concerned about how to advance swiftly given that enchanters are rubbish "normal" DPS compared to mages, rogues, etc. I think that bards get more overhaste and such, but at least up until 80 they simply cannot compare to enchanters in all of the other things that they provide, even with 6 song melodies + Aura (of which bards are only allowed one at a time).

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

Wask posted:

To all the pro SKs out there, how do I efficiently split pull? I have the tools, just haven't figured out how to use them. I did manage one good split but it took me 5 minutes.

Now that I'm 85 and messing around in harder zones I can't just pull 3-4 things and decide to face tank them all. If I blow every cooldown in my group I have a 50/50 shot of surviving.

My favorite trick for a ninja pull is using hates attraction and then my feign that clears agro. Hates attraction is weird and the mob actually goes flying up into the sky before dropping back down on your location where you cast the ability. Sometimes it screws up and the mob end up on the other side of the zone. You always want a FD ready when you cast it. When it works right, all the mobs you don't want will take a few steps toward you before they stop. The mob you tagged with hates attraction will disappear in the air for a few second before landing on you. You quickly stand up, tag him with a taunt and pull him back to the group. I can pretty consistently pull a single mob from the center of a huge group with this method. If you can't clear the agro for all the mobs, you have usually split the one off enough that someone else can grab him while you wait for ago to clear. They just need to be able to tank it while you wait for agro to clear.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
My play time is gonna get hammered from work soon for a bit; anyone willing to pl my paladin from 75 to 80 in exchange for some plat or something? I'd like to have him at 80 to just AA when I log in.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Tai posted:

I'll chime in as I play a monk.

Unless you enjoy being Bruce Lee, don't play a monk. Their damage is pretty average compared to others.

Being an awesome puller as a monk doesn't mean a lot since it seems like everyone can pull/mes/mem blur these which is a shame. SK's also get a better FD i've heard though I haven't looked into it to confirm it.

Soloing, you don't have any fancy tools to gain AA fast except a riposte burn. No swarm kiting, quadding, HSing, Assassinate etc. Also monk raid weapons are getting nerfed for some odd reason. Anything with a delay 18 is getting changed. Not overly sure why since we are on the lower scale of DPS from all accounts. It possibly could be due to the monk buff that is in the works (supposedly).

Onto the good stuff...

I enjoy my monk.

Maxed FD is great and Imitate Death is sexy as gently caress once you dump AA into it to make it a 2 minute cool down. It also hides you so hit and run free through the zone (not undead, carry pots). It also mem wipes on cast if you have aggro..

You have some fun tools, disc's and poo poo to play around with and you rarely die. We are talking about heavy red con mobs who one round you to die.

Only cookie cutter groups and guilds aren't likely to want you but gently caress those pubbies anyway. Monks are fun aslong as you don't mind being low among the DPS classes. Also monkly business (the main class site) is poo poo and they rarely help out new people asking questions.

Level to 60 and get a few AA's in the essential ones like run speed, rapid FD, ambidex etc. Like 100 maybe tops.
Level to 70/71 (upgrade gear to next defiant level) and rape and pillage the Hole for insane. Riposte disc on the hour.
Get power leveled to 80 because holy gently caress 70-80 is painful to grind regular levels in.
Upgrade gear to T1 HoT gear sold on the Bazaar. The damage and HP/AC increase is a gently caress load.
Go to Splitpaw/Infected paw (still at level 80) and rape and pillage. You'll be doing 40 AA an hour before lessons. Get everything you can buy except poo poo like pack rat, innate strength etc etc. Riposte disc on the hour.
Now group with anyone and rape exp in HoT, UQ etc etc.
Great input, but I'll add two important points:

1) There are raiders and there are casuals, and the casuals are split into soloers and boxers, roughly speaking. The enjoyment of a class will vary massively depending on how you play.
2) I admit that a completely solo Monk isn't optimal, unless you're fine with stopping at lvl 70 and just pop around nostalgic old zones and explore with FD. I truly started having fun when I fired up a Shaman box.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Looking at some of the websites, it recommends leveling in Blightfire Moors from 25-35ish, or alternatively Overthere. I'm very familiar with OT since I played in Kunark days, but never been to Blightfire. What's going to be the quickest xp for a box group of 2-3 characters w/ 2-3 mercs and a backup Cleric to powerheal when needed?

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
I always end up in a guild with at least one sex mad female in it. Why..and why do always end up getting tells off them.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Because banging sex-deprived housewives from your guild is an essential part of the Everquest experience.

Perick
May 27, 2003
GoonGrrrls = Teh WIN
Wow, thanks for the Enchanter info, I may roll one now that I can have a tank merc. 10 years ago when I last looked at playing one I couldn't put up with having to rely on a pubbie to tank for me.

All of you experienced mages...any tips that a returning player needs a refresher on how2mage? Mine is 37 and I haven't touched him since 02, from the little bit I've played him so far, having a merc is pretty kick rear end.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Wait...wait.

What I said was...

...Do you understand?
I miss the old Enchanter, pre Kunark. (Just not in PVP once MR gear came out)

I felt like a loving GOD in Lower Guk. My group lived and died by me (and the cleric)

I called in to work once because the group I raided Fear with begged me to stay since I was the only enchanter. I was up til 4am, and it was awesome having so much control. That's pretty much the EQ'siest story ever.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

Wask posted:

Aside from the Hate's Attraction + Effigy trick someone already posted, you split just like monks used to, only you can use snare to make it easier than monks had it back in the day.

Example, you pull and 2 come. FD. Wait for them to start pathing back. When mob 1 has reached spawn point and 2 hasn't, stand up. Depending on how far apart they are, either 2 will come after you again while 1 stays at spawn, or both will come after you again. If 2 was in the process of pathing back, when you FD again, he'll immediately start heading back to spawn while 1 stops. Wait on 2 to reach spawn, stand up. Now only 1 will come. Toss snare in as needed to tinker with their pathing. Works just like monk pulling did before they gave monks lull and ae mez. Just takes practice

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Creative Bicycle posted:

That's good to know. I was more coming at it from a boxing perspective because I feel like most of that stuff would be pretty hard without a lot of focus. And the enchanter haste is dramatically better. Before I bought all the mystical attuning I would be annoyed at shaman who cast talisman of celerity in the guild hall... no one wants that garbage give me hastening of Sviir

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

One of the important SK tricks is that snared, unaggro'd mobs are basically rooted in place. So you can use your snare and fade to park mobs in other places.

HA+DE is the main SK pulling tool, but is too slow to rely on for all your pulls. Planning out your HA pulls to leave you the best non-assisting single pulls afterwards to let you keep pulling while waiting on DE to refresh. You can also do things like pull one of a pair of mobs with snare and kill the unsnared one that gets to your group first. Or combo that with HA+DE to give you and easy single, plus a snare-parked second mob waiting away from the spawn point.

Pulling can be fun, there's lots of little tricks to it. Plus sometimes you gently caress up and kill everyone!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Comfortador posted:

I miss the old Enchanter, pre Kunark. (Just not in PVP once MR gear came out)

I felt like a loving GOD in Lower Guk. My group lived and died by me (and the cleric)

I called in to work once because the group I raided Fear with begged me to stay since I was the only enchanter. I was up til 4am, and it was awesome having so much control. That's pretty much the EQ'siest story ever.

That's weird, I seem to remember enchanters being near useless. I used to group with this one who died all the time...Of course, that was WHEN I grouped, with my Necro I really had no need to. ;)

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Tai posted:

I always end up in a guild with at least one sex mad female in it. Why..and why do always end up getting tells off them.

Everyone of good sense knows that there are no actual females on the Internet. Thus, you sir are either a liar or a fool.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
Way back Enchanters were drat near required for a lot of stuff. They're still nice to have, but I can't really think of a situation I'd rather have an Enc than a Bard in though

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Wait...wait.

What I said was...

...Do you understand?

MrTheDevious posted:

Way back Enchanters were drat near required for a lot of stuff. They're still nice to have, but I can't really think of a situation I'd rather have an Enc than a Bard in though

The raid when you need someone to turn into a coin on the ground. Or a bag. Or the entire front end of Felwithe.

:(

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

JustJeff88 posted:

Everyone of good sense knows that there are no actual females on the Internet. Thus, you sir are either a liar or a fool.

Well there was the Svarien / Jennafae fiasco on Vazaelle. Probably the greatest thing to hit the rant forum of our server's forums. Lonely EQ housewife hooks up with EQ dude, relationship goes sour and amateur porn of the encounter hits the internet.

Pretty sure Svar is a goon too and maybe even lurks here!

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Amateur porn between two Everquest players is the stuff of nightmares.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
No its not. Its awesome and this is why the internet is such a fantastic thing. Nothing comes close to EQ love drama

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Tai posted:

No its not. Its awesome and this is why the internet is such a fantastic thing. Nothing comes close to EQ love drama

Even better was the insane amount of Internet Male White Knighting that happened after. See, she made people lovely photoshop avatars and was a server flirt, so every male rushed to her defense.

There were bonus points for this completely debunking all the Myspace angle photos it discredited too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
gently caress I was on the wrong server back in the day