Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???
Alesmith's Barrel-Aged Old Numbskull was my beer last night, and it did not disappoint. I tried not to think about the price point ($27 for a 750ml), and instead focused on the slightly vinegar nose upon opening which quickly dissipated into a melange of vanilla, oak, fig, brandy, bourbon, cola, butterscotch and caramel. Reminded me of a much smoother Double DBA, in fact. Old Numbskull can hold its own as a barleywine, but with the barrel aging behind it it gets much beefier and robust. Definitely going to get some smoky gouda and chocolate for the next bottle. Alesmith doesn't age too many of their beers, but when they do it the beer usually comes out awesome.

In other news, if you read The Mad Fermentationist you know he's working with a guy named Jacob here in San Diego on opening up a new brewery, Modern Times Beer. Anyway, yesterday morning MTB unveiled their can designs:

If the beer tastes anywhere near as nice as the cans look, jesus christ. You wonder like Three Floyds is dicking with their Insane Clown Posse-ish art when this is possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Ugh. "HOPPY - DANK." Can we stop using "dank" as a flavor descriptor? It makes half the people out there think of a moldy basement, and the other half go TEE HEE THAT MEANS IT TASTES LIKE WEED. It's a lovely term for beer.

Those are drat classy cans, though.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

wattershed posted:

Alesmith's Barrel-Aged Old Numbskull was my beer last night, and it did not disappoint. I tried not to think about the price point ($27 for a 750ml), and instead focused on the slightly vinegar nose upon opening which quickly dissipated into a melange of vanilla, oak, fig, brandy, bourbon, cola, butterscotch and caramel. Reminded me of a much smoother Double DBA, in fact. Old Numbskull can hold its own as a barleywine, but with the barrel aging behind it it gets much beefier and robust. Definitely going to get some smoky gouda and chocolate for the next bottle. Alesmith doesn't age too many of their beers, but when they do it the beer usually comes out awesome.

In other news, if you read The Mad Fermentationist you know he's working with a guy named Jacob here in San Diego on opening up a new brewery, Modern Times Beer. Anyway, yesterday morning MTB unveiled their can designs:

If the beer tastes anywhere near as nice as the cans look, jesus christ. You wonder like Three Floyds is dicking with their Insane Clown Posse-ish art when this is possible.

I don't know if you saw the Modern Times founder's quote about all-natural ingredients and hand-made beer:

quote:

Our beer will not be brewed with the finest all-natural ingredients, nor will it be made by hand. These are meaningless clichés trotted out when a brand has nothing to say. There is no “natural” or “unnatural” malt. “Finest” doesn’t mean anything. And the notion that commercial beer is made by hand—or that “handmade” is a positive attribute in beer—is a fallacy.

:drat:

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Mahoning posted:

I don't know if you saw the Modern Times founder's quote about all-natural ingredients and hand-made beer:

:drat:

There's kind of a good point there, though - A lot of the stuff you hear about "all-natural" and "handcrafted" is pure marketing speak, because most breweries use the same ingredient sources, with similar equipment and similar processes. Then again, anybody who says "brand" rather than "beer" may have already been taken over by the Marketing Pod People.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

RiggenBlaque posted:

Has anyone been to Otto's in State College, PA? I like their beer but their food is an absolute nightmare, I have no idea how they are so insanely popular.

When I went out to State College with my alum friends, they wanted to take me there but it was closed for a private party :( If you haven't been yet, I will absolutely recommend Zeno's - it is a basement dive but has an astounding selection both on tap and bottled (my buddy got started drinking craft beer there on a bartender recommendation) at college student prices, and a really fun vibe besides.

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010

Podima posted:

When I went out to State College with my alum friends, they wanted to take me there but it was closed for a private party :( If you haven't been yet, I will absolutely recommend Zeno's - it is a basement dive but has an astounding selection both on tap and bottled (my buddy got started drinking craft beer there on a bartender recommendation) at college student prices, and a really fun vibe besides.

Also any Zeno's beer they have, as in Zeno's Rye, is made by Otto's. I've never been that impressed with anything Otto's has brewed, and I think a lot of its popularity is from being a hometown brewery at Penn State. Zeno's is great though, the bartenders know their stuff, and the Hop Shop gets in a lot of beer that you wouldn't expect to see in PA.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

Podima posted:

I've been there a couple times and liked it, but Otto's is literally across the road from whom I visit in State College, so it's hard to justify going anywhere else. Their beer is good and its like $4 / 20 oz pint, so it's definitely worth a visit if you're ever back there.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
There's a nice article on Hill Farmstead expanding and a little information about the brewery in general. It seems Shaun is a very nice and environmentally conscientious guy, I hope he can keep his small operation going the way he wants.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

danbanana posted:

Six packs? I mean, I guess they were probably selling the KBS as individual 12 oz bottles and packing them in whatever but... 6 packs of CBS bombers?

Perhaps it was just the KBS, I didn't really look all that closely.

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

RiggenBlaque posted:

I've been there a couple times and liked it, but Otto's is literally across the road from whom I visit in State College, so it's hard to justify going anywhere else. Their beer is good and its like $4 / 20 oz pint, so it's definitely worth a visit if you're ever back there.

Indeed, both are nice. My gf is from State College so I am out there a couple times a year. I have a soft spot for Otto's Red Mo and always grab some when I am out there, it's surprisingly good!

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
Have any of you tried Brown Shugga with a few years age on it? I feel like it could age pretty well, while maybe not as good as Bigfoot, I do feel like it has good potential. After all, wasn't it just a messed up batch of Gnarleywine? Speaking of which, I've actually never seen Gnarleywine OR Lagunitas's Imperial Stout for sale in OH... I'm sure they're out there, I've just been missing them.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Kudosx posted:

Have any of you tried Brown Shugga with a few years age on it? I feel like it could age pretty well, while maybe not as good as Bigfoot, I do feel like it has good potential. After all, wasn't it just a messed up batch of Gnarleywine? Speaking of which, I've actually never seen Gnarleywine OR Lagunitas's Imperial Stout for sale in OH... I'm sure they're out there, I've just been missing them.

I've had ~8 month old Brown Sugga. It gets duller, but it just turns into sad dull hop taste. Better fresh in my opinion. Ohio gets Gnarleywine occasionally, usually in bombers. I've seen it around here in Medina, at least.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Kudosx posted:

I've had Brown Shugga with several years of age. It does not age well at all, IMO. When it is fresh, it tastes like it might age like a barleywine, but it just gets oxidized flavors without developing those awesome aged barleywine characteristics.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
Thanks for the prompt responses guys! I definitely thought it could age like a Barleywine, so I'm kind of glad you both told me otherwise, because I might have picked up an extra six pack to age. I guess I'll just pick up an extra 6 pack of 2012 Bigfoot while they're still around! Speaking of which... I actually drank a 2012 Bigfoot earlier tonight, and drat is it still bitter. I thought after a year some of that would die down, but that's definitely not the case. I bet that stuff tastes unbelievable with 4-5 years on it.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Kudosx posted:

I guess I'll just pick up an extra 6 pack of 2012 Bigfoot while they're still around! Speaking of which... I actually drank a 2012 Bigfoot earlier tonight, and drat is it still bitter. I thought after a year some of that would die down, but that's definitely not the case. I bet that stuff tastes unbelievable with 4-5 years on it.

Bigfoot ages amazingly well. I was able to try a vertical of it last year back to 2008 (or maybe it was 2007) and it was enlightening to see how much life the older vintages still had left.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Clustertruck was fun last night, I had a delicious crawdad po' boy that came with some of the best red beans and rice I've ever had. This is the beer thread though, so how was the beer? I thought they were tapping their Bourbon Barrel I-65 Baltic Porter but it turns out I was a day early. They did have a guest beer by River City Brewing, but what I know about it is pretty limited because a) there are a hell of a lot of places/groups called "River City Brewing" and b) this particular one has a rather underwhelming website. Actually that's not the right website anyway.

What I do know is that it was an Imperial Stout, our waitress said it was called "Death," and it was 11% ABV. I'm poo poo at giving tasting notes, so the best I can do is say it wasn't too dry, and had a spicy finish (pungent, not hot). I'm guessing the finish had a lot to do with the ABV but I'm no cicerone. I liked it and it went well with the po' boy. If anybody knows anything more about "Death" by River City Brewing let me know. Nevermind, BoredByThis set me straight.

runchild fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jan 24, 2013

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Boy the few press releases and such I've read from Modern Times makes me want to jam a hammer into my skull. Lots of clever little smarm and such. You can tell the guy came from Stone.

Sure are some awesome looking cans though.

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

Watch out! I'll attract you too!

runchild posted:

Clustertruck was fun last night, I had a delicious crawdad po' boy that came with some of the best red beans and rice I've ever had. This is the beer thread though, so how was the beer? I thought they were tapping their Bourbon Barrel I-65 Baltic Porter but it turns out I was a day early. They did have a guest beer by River City Brewing, but what I know about it is pretty limited because a) there are a hell of a lot of places/groups called "River City Brewing" and b) this particular one has a rather underwhelming website.

What I do know is that it was an Imperial Stout, our waitress said it was called "Death," and it was 11% ABV. I'm poo poo at giving tasting notes, so the best I can do is say it wasn't too dry, and had a spicy finish (pungent, not hot). I'm guessing the finish had a lot to do with the ABV but I'm no cicerone. I liked it and it went well with the po' boy. If anybody knows anything more about "Death" by River City Brewing let me know.

RiverTown did a Four Horsemen series earlier this year. Their version of Death is a RIS with Jolokia peppers. I have a bottle of it at home, but the last time I was in Ohio my shop didn't have the rest of the 4 (Famine, War, Pestilence), so I don't know what they're about.

BoredByThis fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jan 24, 2013

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Speaking of IN breweries... A buddy finally got his half-case of Cutter's Bourbon Barrel Aged Empire. The base beer doesn't seem to rate very well (18 in style at RB), but he insists it's one of the best BA'd stouts he's ever had. Excited to take one from him.

b c n u
May 9, 2004

"We've got rectal bleeding." "What, all of you?"

runchild posted:

Clustertruck was fun last night, I had a delicious crawdad po' boy that came with some of the best red beans and rice I've ever had. This is the beer thread though, so how was the beer? I thought they were tapping their Bourbon Barrel I-65 Baltic Porter but it turns out I was a day early. They did have a guest beer by River City Brewing, but what I know about it is pretty limited because a) there are a hell of a lot of places/groups called "River City Brewing" and b) this particular one has a rather underwhelming website.

What I do know is that it was an Imperial Stout, our waitress said it was called "Death," and it was 11% ABV. I'm poo poo at giving tasting notes, so the best I can do is say it wasn't too dry, and had a spicy finish (pungent, not hot). I'm guessing the finish had a lot to do with the ABV but I'm no cicerone. I liked it and it went well with the po' boy. If anybody knows anything more about "Death" by River City Brewing let me know.

Hey man, shot you an email. 20 tap is tapping Bolt Cutter, Devil Dancer, Better Half and Breakfast Stout at 5. Probably meeting a buddy there at 430, email me back if you want to join.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

BoredByThis posted:

RiverTown did a Four Horsemen series earlier this year. Their version of Death is a RIS with Jolokia peppers. I have a bottle of it at home, but the last time I was in Ohio my shop didn't have the rest of the 4 (Famine, War, Pestilence), so I don't know what they're about.

Huh, I'm pretty sure that's it. Maybe I misheard the waitress, or maybe she told me the wrong brewery name. I'll have to ask more about it next time I'm there. If that's what it was than it didn't really seem that "hot" considering it was brewed with ghost chilies. Thanks for the info!

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Anyone think Bolt Cutter is worth like $20-22 for a bomber? I have access to some, but I just hate spending that much...

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

ShaneB posted:

Anyone think Bolt Cutter is worth like $20-22 for a bomber? I have access to some, but I just hate spending that much...

From what I hear, it's a good beer but it disappoints people because they were hoping it would be the next King Henry or something. I only bought one and haven't opened it yet.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

ShaneB posted:

It's not worth the price.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

ShaneB posted:

It's a 750, and I quite liked it. :shobon: At $20 I'd probably grab a bottle or two.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Sirotan posted:

It's a 750, and I quite liked it. :shobon: At $20 I'd probably grab a bottle or two.

OK that's 100ml/3.3 more ounces, so it's not pedantic. :colbert:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

ShaneB posted:

I am just fully satisfying your query, sir. :colbert: So are you going to buy any or what.

b c n u
May 9, 2004

"We've got rectal bleeding." "What, all of you?"

Sirotan posted:

I am just fully satisfying your query, sir. :colbert: So are you going to buy any or what.

Had some on tap today. It's good, but I wasn't blown away. Then again, I am not much of a barleywine drinker so I may not be the best judge. Better Half, on the other hand, was absolutely foul. Pretty disappointing for Founders, really.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

ShaneB posted:

I have a bottle if you wanna try it.

What It Dooski
Apr 26, 2010

I saw a pack of Bourbon County at Binny's and snatched it up because its the first time I've actually seen it. Drink one, age 2 or 3 sound good?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Paul Proteus posted:

I have a bottle if you wanna try it.

Oh, cool.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Sounds like we actually need to organize a Chicagoon bottleshare, stat! I have a ton of good stuff I've been waiting to open for just the right day.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

crazyfish posted:

Sounds like we actually need to organize a Chicagoon bottleshare, stat! I have a ton of good stuff I've been waiting to open for just the right day.

Paul Proteus and I usually hang out/pop bottles once every 6-8 weeks or so and are surprisingly decent at making these things happen. I'd be happy to host up to 6 people in my place up in Ravenswood.

enthe0s
Oct 24, 2010

In another few hours, the sun will rise!
My roommates and I got a case of Hopslam today. It's pretty amazing how a little honey can completely take off the edge from a 10% beer. This stuff is dangerously smooth.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

What It Dooski posted:

I saw a pack of Bourbon County at Binny's and snatched it up because its the first time I've actually seen it. Drink one, age 2 or 3 sound good?

If you think they're tasty now, drink them all now. If you think they're a bit too hot, let them sit. :shobon:

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

I may be in the minority here, but these cans look like what they'd use in a Portlandia sketch about beer snobs.

Edit for content:
I saw Hair of the Dog Doggie Claws and Michael in my local shop last weekend. Both were horribly priced, but I had Doggie Claws a few years ago and enjoyed it a lot. Is it a beer that varies year to year or can I be reasonably sure it'll be just as good if I shell out $8 for 12 oz.

Oh, and Michael at $18/12oz is stupid over priced, right?

Mikey Purp fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jan 25, 2013

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Mikey Purp posted:

Is it a beer that varies year to year or can I be reasonably sure it'll be just as good if I shell out $8 for 12 oz.

I have had more infected bottles from HotD than any other brewery. I generally prefer to avoid them.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Mikey Purp posted:

I may be in the minority here, but these cans look like what they'd use in a Portlandia sketch about beer snobs.

Edit for content:
I saw Hair of the Dog Doggie Claws and Michael in my local shop last weekend. Both were horribly priced, but I had Doggie Claws a few years ago and enjoyed it a lot. Is it a beer that varies year to year or can I be reasonably sure it'll be just as good if I shell out $8 for 12 oz.

Wow they weren't kidding about NYC prices! The regular HOTD 12ers are all of 4.50 here.

I like them, but to be honest I tend to drink HOTD only when I actually stop by Portland and do HOTD/Cascade in one very sweet and boozy afternoon.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

crazyfish posted:

I keep saying this and nobody ever does it. :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Mikey Purp posted:

It was something like $10 - $12 at the brewery, so yeah that's stupidly overpriced. Honestly, it's okay, but not worth the price even at $10 per 12oz bottle.