Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary
Buffy is guarding my 'o' key again.

"You may not type 'o' today. Any other letter is fine, but no 'o'."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amaya
Aug 5, 2006

Paws up!

Wizard of Smart posted:

Only if you name the new bird Jake.

If it's a girl we're naming her PB, if it's a boy his name will be Marshal Lee, obviously!!

Frozenfries
Nov 1, 2012
Here's Ruby inspecting our balcony door and posing for the camera.

And while typing this she's sitting atop my cd rack jousting with the little metallic pole that protrudes from the side.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Frozenfries posted:

And while typing this she's sitting atop my cd rack jousting with the little metallic pole that protrudes from the side.

I've always thought Eclectuses looked a little funny, but she is gorgeous.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Ugh. It's my first day home recovering from wisdom teeth extraction, and Novolo is a fidgety bitey rear end in a top hat today. Bird, I just want you to snuggle me and watch How It's Made quietly like a good bird. STOP BITING MY NIPPLES.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

You know how you can touch and prod a bird's keel to check if they're overweight? What does it actually feel like if they are fat, compared to normal and underweight? Googling around hasn't been very helpful.

Ohtori is around 108g at last check, but you can feel his keel, and he's flighted so gets a good amount of exercise that way. He also no longer gets seeds mixed in with his pellets in his bowl, he only gets them in a foraging toy (this: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=5059+16566+23036&pcatid=23036 ) so I don't think he's fat... but what little information there is online usually gives their weight as around 90-100g.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

bassguitarhero posted:

Sad tale about Fred

Juat wanted to add my condolences on your loss :(

I had a little 'tiel (Looloo) who was just two years old when she died, this was nearly 13 years ago and I still get a little bit weepy when I remember her.

I'd like to think they are all being dopey and sweet together in a great big leafy tree in cockatiel heaven.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Amaya posted:

If it's a girl we're naming her PB, if it's a boy his name will be Marshal Lee, obviously!!

These are also both acceptable. (get a new bird :neckbeard:)

Amaya
Aug 5, 2006

Paws up!

Frozenfries posted:

Screw you and how absolutely beautiful your bird is! So cutecutecute :3:

Wizard of Smart posted:

These are also both acceptable. (get a new bird :neckbeard:)

I want to! We're waiting for our landlord to get back to us... We just called the shop a little bit ago and told the guy we're still waiting on a confirmation and he said she/he's still there so that's good!

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

All dem ringnecks having a bath/preen in (slightly) rainy Los Angeles :3:

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

SaNChEzZ posted:

All dem ringnecks having a bath/preen in (slightly) rainy Los Angeles :3:

That's not in Malibu is it? Because I see those all the time in Malibu when I'm visiting my cousins. If those are here in L.A, tell me where to go so I can be a weird bird guy. :catstare:

edit: Vvv awesome. Gonna have to go check it out on a day off!

Deep Thoreau fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jan 24, 2013

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Bash Ironfist posted:

That's not in Malibu is it? Because I see those all the time in Malibu when I'm visiting my cousins. If those are here in L.A, tell me where to go so I can be a weird bird guy. :catstare:

Nope, in Westchester near LAX. There's also a ton of conures around there, and in West LA (90064) because of all the palm trees.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

SaNChEzZ posted:

Nope, in Westchester near LAX. There's also a ton of conures around there, and in West LA (90064) because of all the palm trees.

There's a lot of them also where I live in El Monte (91732), not to mention a flock of free roaming peacocks that sleep on a huge tree about 3 blocks away :c00lbert:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Chido posted:

There's a lot of them also where I live in El Monte (91732), not to mention a flock of free roaming peacocks that sleep on a huge tree about 3 blocks away :c00lbert:

I'm sorry. Those fuckers are SO loud.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

It's been about 14 months since we first became parrot owners, yet only today have we had our first destroyed cable. We found Steve sitting on a chair tucked under the table, halfway through a Kindle cable. Ohtori generally doesn't have the patience to sit and work on something if it isn't instantly showing signs of damage, but Steve is steady and methodical with his little nibbles.

Frozenfries posted:

She's beautiful! :3:

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Battle Pigeon posted:

It's been about 14 months since we first became parrot owners, yet only today have we had our first destroyed cable. We found Steve sitting on a chair tucked under the table, halfway through a Kindle cable. Ohtori generally doesn't have the patience to sit and work on something if it isn't instantly showing signs of damage, but Steve is steady and methodical with his little nibbles.

She's beautiful! :3:

They may be derps, but they're nothing if not persistent when it comes to cables and headphones.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

They may be derps, but they're nothing if not persistent when it comes to cables and headphones.

Ugh, was playing stompy robot game with goons, using Mumble and it got quiet. I was like, "hey guys, where are you going etc, whats going on etc."

Look down and Ritz had the severed cord in his beak, the other end of it dangling down to the ground. :argh:

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

SaNChEzZ posted:

Ugh, was playing stompy robot game with goons, using Mumble and it got quiet. I was like, "hey guys, where are you going etc, whats going on etc."

Look down and Ritz had the severed cord in his beak, the other end of it dangling down to the ground. :argh:

And probably looking smug as gently caress too.

I like the look of deep satisfaction birds get after destroying your valuables. Probably has saved my bird's life a few times.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

Cables, and a few other things-there's a large chunk of a wall calender/poster missing from where he's been working on it in little bites since we got him. As soon as we hear the paper tear and turn around, he starts running. He's also lately taken to trying to push a certain mug off the bathroom shelf, and attempting to reach out and grab my contact lens pot when I put them in in the mornings. Sometimes he's worse than Ohtori.

We're lucky in that they've never been lucky enough to destroy anything of much value-there's that Kindle cable, part of a door frame, and Ohtori took a large chunk out of my Wacom tablet pen not long after coming home, but that's about it really. Of course, now that I've said that...

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, once I left the room to use the bathroom and I came back two minutes later and Archer and Elle had ripped at least 2/3 of the keys off my keyboard. The worst is when they know they shouldn't be chewing on something so they'll be all cute and suddenly run to the keyboard, headphones whatever and try to do as much damage before you pick them up.

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

The pillow my head was on made a fun cave. Loo spent the next ten minutes diving off it into my puddle of long hairs until she got stuck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCCY7p6TMM8

Lenswork
Mar 27, 2010
Welcome to Zazu's House!

My time there is usually very limited, but today I had a camera and 4 hours!

This is the "Special Needs" flight, housing roughly 30 birds:

It has a large outdoor area and a garage-like space that closes for the winter. All the birds here are the small ones (Amazons, greys, mini-macaws) and the large birds that for whatever reason would be eaten alive in the main flight. The only caged bird here is one with a brain parasite; he is responding well to treatment, but he can't get around well on his own yet.

These two are my best buds:

Chicky-Poo the double-yellow head sings opera with me, Pancho the Red-lored likes to get jealous and tries to whistle with me.

More amazons:

On the left is a mealy and the other two are a bonded pair of orange-wings. One can't fly well, so I pick it up off the floor a lot and help it keep up with its friend.

Bald birds!

The left image is a bonded B&G pair. The first time I saw a naked bird inflate its crop to appear intimidating I thought the bird had a horrible tumor- it's perfectly fine.
The right pair is a B&G named Tony who acts tough, until he waves at you. The Severe is named Lovey and she super sweet and gentle, but has bad feet and likes to stay in one place.

Bath time!

The greys are very funny, even when they are being assholes.

I dare you to turn on the water.

The greys are also fearless, and get a kick out of swinging from chains on the ceiling.

The guy on the bottom with the over-preened head is odd-couple bonded with a B&G. They look very funny when they sit and preen each other.

This is the big flight, which is at capacity with almost 90 birds:

The big flight is infinitely louder than the small one, but it can be a lot of fun. The only birds in cages here are new birds, ones receiving veterinary care, or birds that actively seek to hurt other birds. I feed/water all these birds once a week, and scrape/sweep the floors when I have time.

This is Molly

She hates you, and it's personal. She dive-bombed my foot just after I took this picture. She dive-bombs everyone. There's a video the Bird Tricks people made at Zazu's where she looks all sweet and cuddly, and it's a total lie. The only person she likes is the owner Christy.

This is Fiesta.

He's a good boy.

Some more macaws.

Every person has a favorite bird and every bird has favorite people. I love spending time there. Right now a third flight is being built- the plan is to house special needs macaws in the new building and make the small flight into a small birds only place. All the birds at Zazu's like interacting with people and being hand fed- you can get half the large flight dancing if you sing loud enough, and birds will come out of nowhere if you start handing out treats like fresh birdie-bread. The owner often gets birds relinquished to her that do NOT like people, or are species she can't care for like cockatoos or anything smaller than a severe. Those birds all go to Bob's: http://macawrescueandsanctuary.org/, where he has outdoor flights for a variety of species and a hands-off policy for birds that just don't want or need people.

Lenswork fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jan 25, 2013

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Neat pics. Do you know what kind of hybrid Fiesta is? Greenwing with something - can't remember seeing a species with black in the face like that.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Lenswork posted:

The greys are very funny, even when they are being assholes.

I dare you to turn on the water.

I love all of your pictures but this one is amazing... I just can't stop laughing at it.

Pookah fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jan 25, 2013

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Pookah posted:

I love all of your pictures but this one is amazing... I just can't stop laughing at it.

Please don't ban me, it needed this.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Pookah posted:

That is the most dinosaur I've ever seen a bird channel. :xd:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

I've seen that look a million times. I'm glad all those birds have a good home. Makes me sad when I see a bare parrot because of neglect.

Lenswork
Mar 27, 2010
I have no idea what Fiesta is, nobody I've asked can tell me. I would personally guess Shamrock/Greenwing.

There are a lot of naked and partly naked birds at Zazu's, but it is never due to their care there. Some birds don't ever break the habit, but I've seen a few regrow their feathers just in the few months I've been volunteering.

I approve.

Psycho_Puppy
Sep 15, 2004

Founder, Mutant Ninja Peek-a-Poo Death Squad.

Eejit posted:

Please don't ban me, it needed this.

I often wonder what is going on in that little head behind those too intelligent eyes......

Amaya
Aug 5, 2006

Paws up!

Psycho_Puppy posted:

I often wonder what is going on in that little head behind those too intelligent eyes......

"...I'm going to poop on that..."

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Amaya posted:

"...I'm going to poop on that..."

In the case of that specific bird it was actually "please try to turn the water on so I can bite you"

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Joe Don Baker posted:

I've seen that look a million times.

That's it, it's so incredibly familiar. That is the look of an african grey who is feeling tough and is estimating whether or not they can pounce on your hand from their current hiding place or whether they should wait a little bit longer.

With an added dose of just feeling crazy and nesty.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I bet he'd probably start laughing after he bit the crap out of you too.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

I'm glad I only have to deal with a conure who is very upfront about who and what he wants to attempt to murder.

Amaya
Aug 5, 2006

Paws up!

HEY I KNOW WE'RE TALKING ABOUT GREYS BUT I JUST WANTED TO WRITE IN ALL CAPS THAT WE'RE GOING TO GET THE LITTLE PINEAPPLE TOMORROW (unless it's still snowing in which case we'll get him/her when it thaws) I'M VERY EXCITED AAA. Downside, we don't know if it's still there. Yesterday when we called around 4 ish it was there but today the shop is closed because of the weather :ohdear: Please still be there little dude! I want you so bad!

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Omggg all the birdies. I want to live in the special needs flight, all dem naked birds :3:

On another note:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDbYOMxCG_4

You don't fit, bird.

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot:
Fallen Rib

SaNChEzZ posted:

Omggg all the birdies. I want to live in the special needs flight, all dem naked birds :3:

On another note:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDbYOMxCG_4

You don't fit, bird.

That is a hilarious video. My two oldest budgies do this in a sandwich container. Marcel will lie on her back and flap her wings in the water, or lie on her stomach and drag herself through it.

Slinky Weasel
Oct 20, 2009
You guys, why didn't I get a bird sooner, I'm in love with this bird.

I have had this bird for 5 days and I'm already so in love with this fuckin bird. I still don't know the sex of the bird but I think I'm going to name it Ivan if it's a boy and Amelia if it's a girl. I don't usually like people names for animals, but for a bird, maybe.

He's even started to get the hang of potty training even without me doing anything. I think he realizes that I act differently when he poops in appropriate and inappropriate places. If he poops on something that he shouldn't I have to stop whatever we're doing and clean it up. If he's on his towel or newspaper I don't do anything. He was even sitting on my head earlier and instead of pooping on my head he fluttered off onto the floor and pooped instead. So smart :3:

Also I can't get him to eat pellets. I bought some nutriberries to use as outside foraging food but he won't eat anything but the nutriberries. :argh: I tried not giving him any nutriberries but he still wasn't eating the pellets and I was worried he'd starve or something... I tried soaking them in fruit juice but all he does is crush them up and make a mess. I'm pretty sure he ate hardly any of them. Can birdie bread be used as a diet staple? I just finished making some and I used a recipie that used fruits, veggies, and pellets. I hope he'll eat pellets eventually but this birdie bread seems a lot better than feeding seeds...

Here is Ivan/Amelia is its big new cage :3:

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Sure, he'll learn to eat pellets, five days is hardly any time at all. Just gradually mix them in with the seeds, offer a different brand if you have to, he'll eventually learn to eat them and not just the tasty tasty seeds. He may end up dipping them in his water before eating, Ohtori does.

You know how almost everything is a death device to cockatiels? I was vacuuming, and happened to have Steve out for a change while doing so. He was perched on the small cage in the kitchen/main room (it was meant to be a sleep cage, but ended up being a sort of playstand and holding area for when we're busy in the kitchen and need Ohtori out of the way), so not far from the floor. When I went by with the hoover I thought he'd fly away with fright, but instead he squared up to it and tried to come over and fight it. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

The Doctor posted:

That is a hilarious video. My two oldest budgies do this in a sandwich container. Marcel will lie on her back and flap her wings in the water, or lie on her stomach and drag herself through it.

http://youtu.be/uv7mI8iJH6c Novolo doesn't fit either, and the clear sides give you a great view of her contortions.