Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Star Wars Beyond the Films is pretty good. One of the hosts (Mark) can be pretty hyperactive, but the other host (Nathan) keeps him in check.

If you like Star Wars collectibles, Star Wars Action News is amazing. They're a husband and wife team of collectors, everything from Hasbro action figures to the fancy statues and prop replicas. They also have a sister show Republic Forces Radio Network that discusses each episode of Clone Wars as it airs. Their other sister show isn't Star Wars related, but its the best Movie Review podcast I've even listened to, Now Playing Podcast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

SirPhoebos posted:

The bug orgy was at the end of book one. I know because I read it for the first Let's Read thread.

Wait, really? My memory is faulty about that, then.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

So I'm listening to the X-Wing: Mercy Kill audiobook while to pass the time during my commute to work. Some of the choices for the voices are...interesting.

Piggy sounds almost exactly like Bane from The Dark Knight Rises (which is kind of neat).

Bhindi Drayson is...Australian.

Trey Courser sounds like he's from Lake Woebegone.

Shalla is Jamaican (since she's black, of course).

Kell Tainer is very definitely Texan.

And Runt, everyone's favorite Horse Pilot, has the strongest Russian accent imaginable. It's actually kind of awe-inspiring. I don't think it's ever going to leave my mind now that I've heard it.

Also, I realized the plot is basically The A-Team meets Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy in a Star Wars setting. Which is an awesome premise...only I'm not really sure it's really living up to it, at least so far.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

So, apparently the director of the next Star Wars movie is confirmed. In theory. And it's JJ Abrams.

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2013/01/24/j-j-abrams-set-to-direct-star-wars-episode-vii/

quote:

J.J. Abrams is set to direct “Episode VII.”

Sources have confirmed the “Star Trek Into Darkness” filmmaker will helm the next “Star Wars” movie, the highly anticipated installment in the landmark franchise scheduled to reach theaters in 2015.

“Star Wars: Episode VII” will be written by Michael Arndt, the Oscar-winning screenwriter of “Little Miss Sunshine” and “Toy Story 3.”

Simon Kinberg and Lawrence Kasdan have been tapped to write “Star Wars” projects as well, but it’s unclear whether their scripts will be for future episodes or for films outside the official trilogy.

The upcoming trilogy of new films was announced Oct. 30 when the Walt Disney Co. went public with its plans to acquire Lucasfilm for $4.05 billion.

I don't know how I feel about this. I mean, don't get me wrong, I actually love Abrams. Have since Alias. And I love his Star Trek. But he laid out some good reasons why he shouldn't direct a new Star Wars movie like a month ago, when he flat out denied this. He said he could make new Star Trek movies, because he didn't have any reverence for that series, but he would never be able to do Star Wars because he loves it too much to mess with it. And now this.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
I really like JJ Abrams and I think that this could work out OK.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I have a good feeling about it too. He'll do his best with it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

This is all just setup for Star Trek Wars.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

ImpAtom posted:

Don't you mean the Star Wars Trek?

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

VanSandman posted:

No, he means Tek Wars.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

VanSandman posted:

That was the mass migration of Star Wars fans...

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

ImpAtom posted:

I'm waiting for BattleStar Trek WarHammer. Kirk and Adama team up to fight an army of Space Marines under the control of Darth Vader. (Be sure to watch for the cameo by Gort!)

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I like Abrams and his movies/TV shows (even if he doesn't do much more than lend his name there), but his movies share one weakness with those of Lucas: the story isn't really all that great. But at least his (or those of his favourite writing team) dialogues are good and he understands how to develop characters. All in all it should be a huge step forward for Star Wars movies.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
As someone who loved JJTrek, I am okay with this, should it turn out to be true.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

So, will Simon Pegg be the new wise cracking Droid then?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
JJ Abrams is a pretty safe bet, director-wise, especially considering he's not writing the movie. The guy who wrote Little Miss Sunshine and Toy Story 3 is writing it.

Still, what I'd like to see is what I think has been bandied about a little bit: A bunch of spinoff films, set in the same universe but not necessarily connected to the main line of films. Apparently one of the directors on the shortlist was Ben Affleck. Now if you haven't been paying attention to movies lately, you probably think "Affleck? But he's a mediocre actor, not a director!" Which means you're badly out of the loop. He did the Oscar-worthy Argo and the amazing The Town, so he's a drat fine director. Anyway, I want to see him do a gritty Coruscant crime drama, or a gangster flick about the Hutts. But what I really want to see most is Quentin Tarantino's Motherfucking Star Wars, which should be the actual title of the movie.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
Based on the latest Star Trek movie, I am okay with this. Based on the last two seasons of LOST, I am terrified that it will be horrible.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

VanSandman posted:

Still, what I'd like to see is what I think has been bandied about a little bit: A bunch of spinoff films, set in the same universe but not necessarily connected to the main line of films. Apparently one of the directors on the shortlist was Ben Affleck. Now if you haven't been paying attention to movies lately, you probably think "Affleck? But he's a mediocre actor, not a director!" Which means you're badly out of the loop. He did the Oscar-worthy Argo and the amazing The Town, so he's a drat fine director. Anyway, I want to see him do a gritty Coruscant crime drama, or a gangster flick about the Hutts. But what I really want to see most is Quentin Tarantino's Motherfucking Star Wars, which should be the actual title of the movie.

I wouldn't object to spin offs set during the Original Trilogy with just the names of the big three being heard in passing. So much is wasted or so poorly written with the big rear end universe kicking around in the background of the OT it breaks my heart.

This would work for TV too. Come on, we all want Band Of Brothers: Rogue Squadron now.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

ScarletBrother posted:

Based on the latest Star Trek movie, I am okay with this. Based on the last two seasons of LOST, I am terrified that it will be horrible.

JJ Abrams had nothing to do with the last 2 seasons of Lost. Or most of Lost, in fact. Didn't he just help develop the pilot, then backed away?

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

I wouldn't object to spin offs set during the Original Trilogy with just the names of the big three being heard in passing. So much is wasted or so poorly written with the big rear end universe kicking around in the background of the OT it breaks my heart.

This would work for TV too. Come on, we all want Band Of Brothers: Rogue Squadron now.

This reminds me, are there any other books with the deserting stormtoopers from Allegiance and, if so, are they any good? The parts focusing on them tended to be my favorite parts.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Trojan Kaiju posted:

This reminds me, are there any other books with the deserting stormtoopers from Allegiance and, if so, are they any good? The parts focusing on them tended to be my favorite parts.

There's a sequel to that one called Choices of One. It's pretty good, but not quite as good as Allegiance.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

JJ Abrams had nothing to do with the last 2 seasons of Lost. Or most of Lost, in fact. Didn't he just help develop the pilot, then backed away?

I actually don't know and it's quite possible that you are right.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I was going to say Alcatraz was a lovely, almost carbon copy of Lost but Abrams was only a producer on that.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

SeanBeansShako posted:

This would work for TV too. Come on, we all want Band Of Brothers: Wraith Squadron now.

I corrected this for you.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The movie needs to have interesting and fun characters, swashbuckling action, mystery, and some cool space battles. I think JJ can pull that off.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
I would love to see Thrawn on screen, but I doubt they will do those stories since they'd have to get all new actors for Luke, Han, Leia, and Lando.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

SeanBeansShako posted:

All they would hafta do is use the X-wing comics for reference and they're golden. I'm pretty sure that timeline is closer to ROTJ than the books as well.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

ScarletBrother posted:

I would love to see Thrawn on screen, but I doubt they will do those stories since they'd have to get all new actors for Luke, Han, Leia, and Lando.

I don't know why people keep acting as though using anything from the EU is an either/or situation. Even if you have a blue-skinned Imperial officer called Thrawn in Episode VII, whether in a minor or major role, it doesn't mean you have to stop the movie for a ~HUGO STIGLITZ~ aside to explain to everybody who he is and why he's so cool. And on top of that, even if there's a blue-skinned officer called Thrawn you don't have to adopt the entire EU wholesale. There's stuff from the EU in the Clone Wars show that has been retooled to Lucas' vision or whatever you want to call it.

You want Thrawn? Put him in there. Cherry pick what you want from the EU if it's not being abandoned totally. If it is, then you still get a "new" dude called Thrawn that's a whole lot like the original. Seems like almost every discussion on every forum I see that mentions the EU gets into a debate like it's a mathematical equation or a logic puzzle.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Arschlochkind posted:

I don't know why people keep acting as though using anything from the EU is an either/or situation. Even if you have a blue-skinned Imperial officer called Thrawn in Episode VII, whether in a minor or major role, it doesn't mean you have to stop the movie for a ~HUGO STIGLITZ~ aside to explain to everybody who he is and why he's so cool. And on top of that, even if there's a blue-skinned officer called Thrawn you don't have to adopt the entire EU wholesale. There's stuff from the EU in the Clone Wars show that has been retooled to Lucas' vision or whatever you want to call it.

You want Thrawn? Put him in there. Cherry pick what you want from the EU if it's not being abandoned totally. If it is, then you still get a "new" dude called Thrawn that's a whole lot like the original. Seems like almost every discussion on every forum I see that mentions the EU gets into a debate like it's a mathematical equation or a logic puzzle.

You see, you either adopt the entire slate of Wookieepedia or it's a slap to the face.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Thrawn and the Jedi Prince books are a package deal.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes
A lot of people are just invested in seeing the good parts of the EU make it through in a non-piecemeal fashion. Having a blue guy named Thrawn as a nod to the EU who proceeds to be the movie's Jar Jar is such a :gonk:-worthy idea that people don't want to consider it.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Urdnot Fire posted:

Thrawn and the Jedi Prince books are a package deal.

That's it, burn it all down.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

api call girl posted:

That's it, burn it all down.

Either you get Thrawn starring in a truncated Jedi Prince story as Episode VII or a complete, faithful adaptation of Darksaber as Episode IX. Those are your options, mister.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Episode VII will just be Thrawn presiding over the Mofference for two hours.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Arschlochkind posted:

Either you get Thrawn starring in a truncated Jedi Prince story as Episode VII or a complete, faithful adaptation of Darksaber as Episode IX. Those are your options, mister.

Urdnot Fire posted:

:suicide:

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Look, we can have Thrawn as part of a real movie. The Jedi Prince stuff can just be a Disney Channel series where Han is telling stories to his kids to get them to go to sleep

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

April 2013: An official announcement is made that the new films will be totally compliant with existing EU canon. Fans cheer.

November 2013: It's leaked that Disney is in talks with "a prominent EU author" to directly use his works as the plots of the new movies. Fans have collective Thrawngasm.

March 2015: The MPAA releases its rating for the upcoming movie: NC-17. Fans are unsure what to make of that.

May 2015: The gala opening night of Star Wars Episode VII: The Dark Nest! Mass suicides follow in basements across the world.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Has anybody seen Jason Fry's Essential Guide To Warfare endnotes? I've not read the actual book, but it's interesting stuff nonetheless.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Urdnot Fire posted:

Sorry, he already turned the offer down:

quote:

"Grand Admiral Thrawn, we've received a coded Imperial request. It seems your presence is requested at a...'mofference'."

"...get the gently caress out of my office."

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I imagine such an exchange would be even shorter:

"Sir, Grand Moff Bertroff Hissa has..."
"No."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica
Well, I certainly can't wait until the Death Star goes back in time 25 years and blows up Tatooine. And Mark Hamill shows up to give advice to Alternate Reality Luke.