Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
Me and a friend got the chance to play Deathwatch for the first time with three others during a lan party at uni yesterday. After spending eons making our characters I ended up with a Black Templar named Gervhart and another guy in the group just so happened to be a Librarian. :v:

We got attacked right away by some giant tyranid gargoyle when we were in our ship and almost died right there. Only completed 1/3rd of the mission so far but it was loads of fun.

Our techmarine ripped open the entrace to a bunker and then we realized that it would be a good idea to shut it behind us in case some nids would try and ambush us. Had to use my only repair cement to seal it shut since he couldn't use his since he had taken damage to his armor. I guess that is the role of glorious Squad Leader Gervhart. Let's hope that I won't need to repair my armor for the remainder of the mission since I'm quite sure that the Librarian won't help me and my buddy's character is overall paranoid. Oh dear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Only war is going to be great. I hope to play a Sargent and I can't wait till I start second guessing choices that get good men killed (Comrades are a fantastic idea because they allow the GM to bring much more lethality into the game without it being a total dick move).

If my regiment and specialty give me the same skill twice (Command as a Cadian Sargent) does that count as a +10? Also on the subject of Sargents, I enjoy the rankless advances but it can get pretty brutal if you aren't careful. While making my Sargent to get a jump on the game system, I noticed that if I didn't keep my Agility above 30 at character creation (it was going to be 28 as a Cadian), I'd be paying 750xp just for the prerequisite to pay another 400xp for Ambidextrous...all this to simultaneously hold a laspistol and chainsword as any Sargent should.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Only war is going to be great. I hope to play a Sargent and I can't wait till I start second guessing choices that get good men killed (Comrades are a fantastic idea because they allow the GM to bring much more lethality into the game without it being a total dick move).

If my regiment and specialty give me the same skill twice (Command as a Cadian Sargent) does that count as a +10? Also on the subject of Sargents, I enjoy the rankless advances but it can get pretty brutal if you aren't careful. While making my Sargent to get a jump on the game system, I noticed that if I didn't keep my Agility above 30 at character creation (it was going to be 28 as a Cadian), I'd be paying 750xp just for the prerequisite to pay another 400xp for Ambidextrous...all this to simultaneously hold a laspistol and chainsword as any Sargent should.

If you get the same skill twice, you get it at the trained (+10) level. Gettin the same aptitude twice let's you pick one characteristic based aptitude that you dont already have and getting the same talent twice gives you a 100 extra xp to use at chargen.

The first rule of Only War is that competency be damned.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Hey yo, anyone got any interesting custom Regiments or rules they use for Only War? Since I can never find anyone to actually play the game with, I've been collecting custom regiments and homebrew wargear such, really wacky or well-thought-out stuff. Also I've been wanting to draw "Alternative" guardsmen and it's good fodder for that.

I guess I'll post this as an example of stuff I'm looking for:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

Hey yo, anyone got any interesting custom Regiments or rules they use for Only War? Since I can never find anyone to actually play the game with, I've been collecting custom regiments and homebrew wargear such, really wacky or well-thought-out stuff. Also I've been wanting to draw "Alternative" guardsmen and it's good fodder for that.

I guess I'll post this as an example of stuff I'm looking for:

I know I've seen a gdocs document or something thrown around on /tg/ with a whole bunch of custom Only War regiments collected. Sadly I can't produce a link to it right now.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah I would like to have that. I know there was an IG Regiment Maker program that got passed around a bit a bit before Only War came out, maybe that's what you're thinking of?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

Yeah I would like to have that. I know there was an IG Regiment Maker program that got passed around a bit a bit before Only War came out, maybe that's what you're thinking of?

Eh I dunno to be honest. I've just seen some mentions of it in various Only War threads. I'll just keep an eye open in the future.

Tiki Powers
Jul 19, 2005
If your friendship can survive this, your not playing dirty enough
Im currently running a DH campaign with a group of about 6 people. I am having trouble finding enemies for them to face without going crazy into Daemons or Xenos. They seem to tear through pretty much anything that would exist in the hive they are in. Also they will soon be coming up on a part that involves some bad psyker juju. I imagine that the closer they get to the source the greater burden this will place on the party psyker. What would be a good way of showing this other then RP-wise?

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Tiki Powers posted:

Im currently running a DH campaign with a group of about 6 people. I am having trouble finding enemies for them to face without going crazy into Daemons or Xenos. They seem to tear through pretty much anything that would exist in the hive they are in. Also they will soon be coming up on a part that involves some bad psyker juju. I imagine that the closer they get to the source the greater burden this will place on the party psyker. What would be a good way of showing this other then RP-wise?

Inform your psyker that the warp is particularly chaotic in the area, force some willpower checks to avoid general penalties, and once he/she's really close inform them that they'll be using psyker abilities as a sorcerer while in said warp flux. A nice power boost, but with some crazy risk involved.

That is, if I'm remembering psyker/sorcerer differences correctly, and reading your intent correctly.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Tiki Powers posted:

If the party is blasting through the underhive then they're going to quickly develop a reputation and become a challenge for others to overcome. That makes them a perfect target for Spyrers; the children of nobles who hunt the underhive as a way to prove themselves.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah, Spyrers are great, because they're videogame characters but in "real life".

Fizziocrat
Mar 15, 2004

Tiki Powers posted:

With 6 PCs, I imagine one of their advantages is weight of numbers: by having so many turns before/after the enemy, they can focus fire and take advantage of environmental conditions before your antagonists have time to respond. In combat, you could try to mitigate this by increasing enemy numbers (gangers and mutants rarely have trouble finding warm bodies with knives or stubbers), and by breaking enemies into different initiative groups. By working in concert, different enemy groups can leverage some of the same advantages PCs can.

If they're fighting mutants, you can always go bigger. Unnatural Toughness and lots of wounds can ruin anyone's day. There's a Hulking Chaos Mutant in the back of the OW core that might fit the bill. Also, there are tons of unique monstery things that aren't xenos. One of the missions for Necromunda has lonely gangers getting picked off by a murderous mutant space crocodile or something. I would probably look at some of the Creatures Anathema for inspiration.

e: Seconding Spyrers. They'll probably be crapping their pants and trying to figure out why the Eldar have sent a hit squad after them. In that same vein, there are all kinds of up-and-comers looking to make a name for themselves in the Underhive, as well as bounty hunters and assassins for hire who are more than likely going to outclass any given PC in a couple of fields.

Fizziocrat fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jan 25, 2013

Tiki Powers
Jul 19, 2005
If your friendship can survive this, your not playing dirty enough
Ill definitely look into Spyrers. This type of tech would also make sense as one of our PCs managed to royally piss off the Adeptus Mechanicus (knowingly destroyed a reliquary of mars in order to stop a simple artifact trafficking group). The tech priest in the group was going to take care of that issue but he has been reluctant so he could use some help.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I know you said you didn't want to do xenos (presumably because you don't want to shift attention from the main antagonists with super crazy stuff?), but any given underhive can have its own unique ecology of monsters to the point where you can pretty much make wacky poo poo up. The PCs come across a giant spider web! What the gently caress! Barnacles that latch onto people! Ripperjack swarm!

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Pharmaskittle posted:

I know you said you didn't want to do xenos (presumably because you don't want to shift attention from the main antagonists with super crazy stuff?), but any given underhive can have its own unique ecology of monsters to the point where you can pretty much make wacky poo poo up. The PCs come across a giant spider web! What the gently caress! Barnacles that latch onto people! Ripperjack swarm!

That's the first thing I thought of; the underhive is a big place, and there are things down that don't sweat a dark heresy party for a second.

Another idea is to introduce environmental effects that reduce whatever combat mechanic on which the party relies (Ex: knee deep water makes melee difficult, while ever present smoke or explosive gas turns gunfire into a bad idea). Of course you can't pull "no guns for you!" out of your hat very often, but it's a neat trick when you do it. In my experience some players really like that too, even a player who is built entirely around stub rifle shots to the face gets a thrill when it's time to mount the bayonet.

My GM is fond of saying that the 40kRPG systems are special in that it's not monsters with sacks of hitpoints and unaccountable powers that make a fight difficult, it's introducing unforeseen complications

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Jack B Nimble posted:

My GM is fond of saying that the 40kRPG systems are special in that it's not monsters with sacks of hitpoints and unaccountable powers that make a fight difficult, it's introducing unforeseen complications

Pretty much. Except when dealing with Astartes or some iteration of invulnerable Tech-Priest, most characters will be vulnerable to even small arms fire in the right circunstances. The tactical situation is a lot more important than just adding wounds to enemies or making them lug around anti-tank weaponry (though their enemies will certainly make the effort if the party contains one of the aforementioned Tech-Priests).

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

After having a proper Only War session with 5 other people (also our first attempt at playing an RPG without using minis, went very well), I have to say that this game is great. We were playing the Old Soldiers campaign that comes with the GM kit, and I really like how diverse the skill checks can be. Its nice to see the guy who randomly took some seemingly useless skill can actually help out without me having to specifically design something for him.

The party had a blast, there was the useless Squad Leader who failed nearly every drat roll except for using squad boost abilities, the Medic who just cowered behind rocks while his comrade did everything, the Storm Trooper who laughed off every shot he took while blowing off limbs, the Psyker who sadly only managed to set dead bodies on fire, and then the Ratling sniper.

This ratling alone had more kills then the rest of the squad put together, as he just sat out of range of Lasguns and popped heads. Notable kills included the driver of a transport truck, a man running away out of fear and dying right before making it into the woods, and the best was him shooting a radio operator through a tree. Ratlings seem a little overpowered in any area that's not an enclosed space, but next session he just might encounter some mortars that disagree with him. Or possibly some wildlife that can run quickly, and shrug off a headshot.

They managed to go fairly unscathed (except the sergeant who nearly died about 3 times). The only real problem with this game I've noticed, is without the minis to remind them, some tend to forget they have comrades capable of helping them out.

Also, unless I missed it, the main rulebook sadly has no rules for some sort of poison gas grenade, which I kinda want to have tossed at my party to see them react, does anyone have a good statline for one? If not I'll just bullshit something when the times comes.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Check the other more recent RPG books. I believe the Dark Heresy stuff doesn't translate too badly, and they might have gas grenades.

Best bet is to hold out for Hammer of the Emperor, there's supposed to be a bunch of new wargear, new specialties for your guardsmen like Brawlers and Rough Riders and new vehicle combat rules so you can ride around on your bike and hit a rock and die.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

I'll take a peek next time I wander past my local store, thanks.

That sounds goddamn amazing, making a mission around a team of Rough Riders sounds like the best drat thing that's ever happened. Plasma-gun wielding cowboys fighting Carnifexes! Hell yeah!

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

kannonfodder posted:

This ratling alone had more kills then the rest of the squad put together, as he just sat out of range of Lasguns and popped heads.

That brings up something I've been thinking on for a while now and I've been thinking that something needs to be done about the long las. I mean it's vulnerable to hordes, enemies that dodge well, and of course melee. But other then that anybody trying to outshout the thing just loses. Assuming you start with a BS of at least 50, you can stack buffs until you at least somewhat reliably deal, what 3d10+5? And then with the ratling there goes the dodge factor. I don't plan on playing a ratling in Only War, but I completely expect that whoever does will kill most of our enemies.

I don't really have a clue what I would do to change it though, and maybe I'm overreacting. I mean yeah, in the right hands a long las is probably better than a bolt gun, while being much easier to obtain and having a vastly lower cost of ownership, but maybe "in the right hands" is the key element I'm not giving enough credit. A long las really only turn into an unbeatable gun with enough successes, where as a bolt gun (or the much better hellgun) is a solid late-game basic weapon for any character.

Still, If I were deciding such things, I might consider upping it's rarity, or reducing it's capacity. It just seems like right now if you can shoot well, it's the obvious choice. But then again I've always highly valued all las guns' ability to not need new ammo.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Still, If I were deciding such things, I might consider upping it's rarity, or reducing it's capacity. It just seems like right now if you can shoot well, it's the obvious choice. But then again I've always highly valued all las guns' ability to not need new ammo.

The obvious choice is actually the sniper rifle since it has longer range, higher damage, higher penetration, different ammo types and a silencer and the only thing you lose is Felling and a clip size cut in half.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

The disadvantage of the Long-Las is that it is only really effective against specific enemies, and I don't have a problem with it excelling at that task. Against mass infantry with no leaders in sight it doesn't do much good. It's all about the tactical context.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Jack B Nimble posted:

A long las really only turn into an unbeatable gun with enough successes, where as a bolt gun (or the much better hellgun) is a solid late-game basic weapon for any character.

the boltgun's X type damage means it does an extra damage to hordes (unlike the hellgun), its variable rate of fire and just-good-enough pen makes it better than a longlas against multiple enemies (especially poorly armored ones, like anyone in flak), and it is much more tactically flexible than either las weapon due to its wide variety of bolt shells, Excelling (in the hands of a rich player with time to prepare) against any enemy, from daemons to tyranids to mobs of angry heretics. There are also different patterns of bolter for different roles, with Heavy Bolters chewing dudes up to Stalker bolters silently and accurately popping heads off synapse creatures.

Meanwhile the Hellgun has sick penetration and can conceivably chew through really good armor or even walls in a spaceship, has pretty good variety in its RoF, uses las ammo which is always plentiful, and comes with a neat backpack which you can festoon with skulls and poo poo.

all of these have their place. And lets not forget the humble autogun, which while not as baller as either the bolter or the lasgun is a lot cheaper and has some of the bolter's benefits (variable rof, special ammo)

Liesmith fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jan 27, 2013

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
You guys are right. You've forced me to admit that I don't really consider what special ammo can bring to a gun, since in my head when I think of 40krpg I think of Sanford and Son in space. Like I never really considered "you could kill a ton of regular dudes with that bolt gun, if you don't mind spending almost 500 thrones to do it!".

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Quick rules question, the rules for silencers says that the distance for hearing incoming shots is halved, but I can't find anything saying about how far a standard gunshot can be heard (obviously different weapons would have more or less sound, but knowing one could let me guess at others). Am I missing something, or did they not include any such rules?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

It is an odd omission. It has been that way since the first beta pdf even.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Jack B Nimble posted:

You guys are right. You've forced me to admit that I don't really consider what special ammo can bring to a gun, since in my head when I think of 40krpg I think of Sanford and Son in space. Like I never really considered "you could kill a ton of regular dudes with that bolt gun, if you don't mind spending almost 500 thrones to do it!".

If you said that to a rogue trader he'd ask you what a throne is because he doesn't carry actual money around. He has people for that.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Liesmith posted:

If you said that to a rogue trader he'd ask you what a throne is because he doesn't carry actual money around. He has people for that.
My group's RT practically lives in his gun cutter which acts as the party taxi while on planet, their air support in combat and as an AWACS is space. On board he keeps a rack of military weapons and another rack of "diplomatic weapons" which are briefcases filled with money.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

This isn't really a point since every game after Dark Heresy has ditched using actual money.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

HerraS posted:

This isn't really a point since every game after Dark Heresy has ditched using actual money.

In my rogue trader game the RT isn't actually a rogue trader and our ship is about the size of the SSV Normandy. Our GM likes to keep games more like Dark Hersey in Power Level. He may end up running Only War as a penal legion. You're right though, that isn't the way the game is usually played and I wasn't considering what would be possible in a game with easier access to equipment.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jan 28, 2013

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Jack B Nimble posted:

In my rogue trader game the RT isn't actually a rogue trader and our ship is about the size of the SSV Normandy. Our GM likes to keep games more like Dark Hersey in Power Level. He may end up running Only War as a penal legion. So I was saying that yeah, my view of the game is biased by our lower power levels.

Considering most ships in 40k are about a kilometer long with gun batteries the size of city blocks, I gotta wonder how the hell something that size even has a warp drive, let alone any chance surviving against raiders.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Daeren posted:

Considering most ships in 40k are about a kilometer long with gun batteries the size of city blocks, I gotta wonder how the hell something that size even has a warp drive, let alone any chance surviving against raiders.

The game takes place in a single solar system and anomalies prevent most large ships from being in the solar system. It's a way for my GM to keep the game small.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Daeren posted:

You can just ignore this part of the lore and pretend large ships are closer to the size of aircraft carriers. You're allowed to do that.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Clanpot Shake posted:

You can just ignore this part of the lore and pretend large ships are closer to the size of aircraft carriers. You're allowed to do that.

No, you have to be consistent with the Warhammer Forty Thousand Lore as passed down by Games Workshop and the Black Library at all times. Anything else is Heresy. If you are gonna have tiny ships you might as well have girl space marines or friendly xenos. If you do you're gonna get buried by the council of warhams faster than you can say "raped canon"

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Liesmith posted:

No, you have to be consistent with the Warhammer Forty Thousand Lore as passed down by Games Workshop and the Black Library at all times. Anything else is Heresy. If you are gonna have tiny ships you might as well have girl space marines or friendly xenos. If you do you're gonna get buried by the council of warhams faster than you can say "raped canon"

That's nothing, if you really want to piss of Warhams paint your space marines like this.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
I'm pretty sure in the vast expanses of the Milky Way galaxy, there's probably some Space Marine chapter that uses a purple and pink colour scheme with a heart as their chapter symbol.

but female space marines is COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE
:goonsay:

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Tardcore posted:

That's nothing, if you really want to piss of Warhams paint your space marines like this.

Purge the unclean.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

dongsbot 9000 posted:

I'm pretty sure in the vast expanses of the Milky Way galaxy, there's probably some Space Marine chapter that uses a purple and pink colour scheme with a heart as their chapter symbol.

But could they also have an anime primarch? Could they?

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

dongsbot 9000 posted:

Because they feel that the only way to show them to be female is giant tits and long hair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

dongsbot 9000 posted:

Why don't you check?