Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Is there a book that covers themes like trans humanism, like the lines that define what a human is, alot like in I, Robot and in the Deus Ex games.

Fiction, non fiction, whatever is fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Ulio posted:

Is there a book that covers themes like trans humanism, like the lines that define what a human is, alot like in I, Robot and in the Deus Ex games.

Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep?

Phillip K Dick might have written other books about that topic but I'm not familiar enough with his other works.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005

Walh Hara posted:

Phillip K Dick might have written other books about that topic but I'm not familiar enough with his other works.

Charles Stross? Like a guy spreads his consciousness into a swarm of pigeons.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Walh Hara posted:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Variety

The awesome PKD short story that inspired Battlestar Galactica

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

That's a very tenuous supposition, unless it was stated by the creators of that thing you put in tags.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

That's a very tenuous supposition, unless it was stated by the creators of that thing you put in tags.

I thought I read that in Ron Moore's BSG Bible a couple of years ago. Hovewer, all I can google right now is a review blasting the show for appropriating Dick's story without attribution.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

barkingclam posted:

How about David Mitchell's number9dream?

Seconding this. And the London chapter in Ghostwritten is one of my favourites.

You'd probably have to be a bit more specific about London though - there's obviously less books about japan, but in the world of English literature, there are literally tens of thousands of novels set in London at every stage of its existence.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

freebooter posted:

Seconding this. And the London chapter in Ghostwritten is one of my favourites.

You'd probably have to be a bit more specific about London though - there's obviously less books about japan, but in the world of English literature, there are literally tens of thousands of novels set in London at every stage of its existence.

I'm a fan of the Victorian era, modern Japan, 40s America, and modern New York.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Victorian era?

Of Human Bondage - Somerset Maugham. Mostly based in London, but a little after the Victorian era.
Brideshead Revisited - Evelyn Waugh. Skirts around your likes. England (with some London) between the world wars, a brief jaunt into 1930s America.

The House of Mirth - Edith Wharton. Victorian era New York.
The Age of Innocence - Edith Wharton. Ditto.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Ulio posted:

DADOES? is a good one, and, continuing in the science-fiction vein, I've really enjoyed everything David Marusek has written.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Ulio posted:

The Revelation Space series has a lot of cool stuff about this in it.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I had Electric Sheep? in mind gonna have to read that, Revelation looks like a nice sci fi soap opera aswell.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

noirstronaut posted:

I'm a fan of the Victorian era, modern Japan, 40s America, and modern New York.

If you want something set in Victorian london, I'm going to recommend . ..drumroll . . The Sign of Four by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, the greatest of the Sherlock Holmes novels.

For a general "The Story of London" I'd recommend London by Edward Rutherford.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If you want something set in Victorian london, I'm going to recommend . ..drumroll . . The Sign of Four by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, the greatest of the Sherlock Holmes novels.

For a general "The Story of London" I'd recommend London by Edward Rutherford.

Awesome! I got this from Amazon a couple of weeks ago and it's still free in case anyone else wants to scoop it up. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AHE20W0/ref=kinw_myk_ro_title

I'm a big fan of stories. Just fiction stories, so I figured I'd throw in places that I'm interested in. To be honest, I'm fairly new to "reading" at this extent. I used to only read when I had to, but ever since I got a Kindle, I've been reading a lot more.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

noirstronaut posted:

Awesome! I got this from Amazon a couple of weeks ago and it's still free in case anyone else wants to scoop it up. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AHE20W0/ref=kinw_myk_ro_title

I'm a big fan of stories. Just fiction stories, so I figured I'd throw in places that I'm interested in. To be honest, I'm fairly new to "reading" at this extent. I used to only read when I had to, but ever since I got a Kindle, I've been reading a lot more.

Aha!

If you want a list of free kindle ebook recommendations and don't mind reading stuff published before 1930 you've come to the right place. Sticking to at least somewhat "literary" recommendations, "realistic" fiction rather than fantasy, and stuff that's available free in the Kindle store, here are a few to get you started:

The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins

Plain Tales from the Hills by Rudyard Kipling.

The Red House Mystery by A.A. Milne (yes that Milne).

My Man Jeeves or any other Jeeves book by P.G. Wodehouse.

If you're willing to venture into sci-fi and fantasy, a couple fun ones:

The War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells

She and King Solomon's Mines by H. Rider Haggard

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Aha!

If you want a list of free kindle ebook recommendations and don't mind reading stuff published before 1930 you've come to the right place. Sticking to at least somewhat "literary" recommendations, "realistic" fiction rather than fantasy, and stuff that's available free in the Kindle store, here are a few to get you started:

The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins

Plain Tales from the Hills by Rudyard Kipling.

The Red House Mystery by A.A. Milne (yes that Milne).

My Man Jeeves or any other Jeeves book by P.G. Wodehouse.

If you're willing to venture into sci-fi and fantasy, a couple fun ones:

The War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells

She and King Solomon's Mines by H. Rider Haggard

Thanks! I wanted to check out some more current stuff, however. I'm truly grateful for the recommendations, though. Most of the stuff I've read from previous centuries has a style of writing that doesn't flow as easily to me and make the process seem more forced as opposed to enjoyment. Any recommendations for realistic fiction novels made 1960+?

e: For "reference" I'm currently ready Coraline, just finished Mr. Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore, and I think Ready Player One will be next.

noirstronaut fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jan 25, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

noirstronaut posted:

Thanks! I wanted to check out some more current stuff, however. I'm truly grateful for the recommendations, though. Most of the stuff I've read from previous centuries has a style of writing that doesn't flow as easily to me and make the process seem more forced as opposed to enjoyment. Any recommendations for realistic fiction novels made 1960+?

If you want more modern authors, and you like reading histories of specific regions, I'd suggest you check out Edward Rutherford, James Clavell, and James Michener.

They all write Fictionalized Big Sweeping Histories of Places, usually taking a specific person or a few people in one era, then their kids, then their kids, etc. They do tend to kinda be doorstopper-length authors.

James Clavell's Shogun might be a good place to start since you mentioned Japan. Based on a true story!

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jan 25, 2013

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

If you want more modern authors, and you like reading histories of specific regions, I'd suggest you check out Edward Rutherford, James Clavell, and James Michener.

They all write Fictionalized Big Sweeping Histories of Places, usually taking a specific person or a few people in one era, then their kids, then their kids, etc. They do tend to kinda be doorstopper-length authors.

James Clavell's Shogun might be a good place to start since you mentioned Japan. Based on a true story!

Definitely picking up Shogun next. What do you think of John Dies at The End (if you've read it)? A lot of reviews are simply saying "it's funny and scary" but I'm hugely not a fan of anything scary since I read in silence and my mind wanders any time it can.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

noirstronaut posted:

Definitely picking up Shogun next. What do you think of John Dies at The End (if you've read it)? A lot of reviews are simply saying "it's funny and scary" but I'm hugely not a fan of anything scary since I read in silence and my mind wanders any time it can.

Haven't read it, can't say. I tend to stay away from most modern horror.

On the other hand, you can generally find the complete works of Lovecraft free online!

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Haven't read it, can't say. I tend to stay away from most modern horror.

On the other hand, you can generally find the complete works of Lovecraft free online!

Definitely gonna look into it. Do you have any other recommendations that are outside of the locations I listed earlier? Just fiction books in general?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

noirstronaut posted:

Definitely gonna look into it. Do you have any other recommendations that are outside of the locations I listed earlier? Just fiction books in general?

I can keep doing this all day!

The Rivers of London/ Midnight Riot fantasy series by Ben Aaronovitch is *very* strongly set in modern London, as is Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere.

The Mark of Zorro is a great pulpy read if you can find a copy.

You Can't Win by Jack Black (not the modern Jack Black) is a neat period true crime autobiography and a big influence on William S. Burroughs.

The Anabasis by Xenophon is a great story and an immensely interesting microcosm of Ancient Greece.

Most of the other subthreads on this forum also are about good books.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jan 25, 2013

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

I can keep doing this all day!

The Rivers of London/ Midnight Riot fantasy series by Ben Aaronovitch is *very* strongly set in modern London, as is Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere.

The Mark of Zorro is a great pulpy read if you can find a copy.

You Can't Win by Jack Black (not the modern Jack Black) is a neat period true crime autobiography and a big influence on William S. Burroughs.

The Anabasis by Xenophon is a great story and an immensely interesting microcosm of Ancient Greece.

Most of the other subthreads on this forum also are about good books.

Bought The Mark of Zorro and gonna look into the others ASAP! Thanks for the recommendations. Neil Gaiman is also one of my favorite writers, so I might get Neverwhere right now, too.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Can you recommend a translation of this? I've been leaning towards Oxford's (by Robin Waterfield), but Penguin's (Rex Warner) seems interesting, too.

barkingclam fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jan 25, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

barkingclam posted:

Can you recommend a translation of this? I've been leaning towards Oxford's (by Robin Waterfield), but Penguin's (Rex Warner) seems interesting, too.

I'm pretty sure Rex Warner is my copy and I enjoyed it. I'm quietly hoping that the Landmark Series guy will do an edition but he hasn't yet.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
They already did another one of Xenophon, but I don't know much about it. I'd love it if they did one for Tacitus, personally.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

noirstronaut posted:

Anyone know of any great fiction books based in London or Japan? That's really all I'm requesting... great fiction books in those places. I've read the first book of 1Q84 and some of Kafka, but I want something more...real? Maybe a story about a young person in Japan and living a life there. Maybe runs into some trouble, meets new people, a typical story like that.

Adding my vote to the other people who suggested Number9dream and Norwegian Wood. Norwegian Wood is different than Murakami's other stuff in that it doesn't have any bizarre or supernatural elements in it.

And although neither is about young people, Kazuo Ishiguro's novels An Artist of the Floating World and A Pale View of Hills are both set in Japan and were really good reads.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Anyone have any great reads focusing around insane asylums or anything similar to Shutter Island?

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

Can anyone recommend some fantasy or science fiction with a large variety of interesting and diverse settings and lifeforms? Some examples being Well World and Death Gate. Preferably non-franchise works although they may make up the majority.

For any who play video games, I'm really looking for fantastic literary settings equivalent to Final Fantasy, Myst, The Dig, etc; if such works exist.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Jive One posted:

Can anyone recommend some fantasy or science fiction with a large variety of interesting and diverse settings and lifeforms? Some examples being Well World and Death Gate. Preferably non-franchise works although they may make up the majority.

Iain M. Bank's Culture novels.

edit: Oh, and Schismatrix Plus by Bruce Sterling.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jan 27, 2013

Sex Beef 2.0
Jan 14, 2012
Can anyone recommend good fantasy military fiction, something along the lines of the Black Company (don't recommend Malazan)?

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

TheWorldIsSquare posted:

Can anyone recommend good fantasy military fiction, something along the lines of the Black Company (don't recommend Malazan)?

The first law trilogy (note that the war only starts in book 2 and is mostly described in book 3) and The Heroes by Joe Abercrmbie are pretty great.

Less good (it's honestly pretty mediocre and bland) is the codex alera series, but except for the second book it's one war after another so it may interest you.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

I will be there to receive the new mind

Adib posted:

Thinking about reading a collection of Anne Sexton's poems. Have any of you read them? What do you think? Yea or nay?

EDIT: I guess the same goes for Sylvia Plath, too.

Sexton is criminally underrated. Begin with Love Poems. That contains one of my faves by her: "The Ballad of the Lonely Masturbator."

I guess it's impossible to seriously discuss Plath without lots of stupid :goonsay: - just read her. She's amazing. Ignore the bullshit.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

I've never read any of the Discworld books, should I start at the beginning? They are a lot and I heard the first few ones are not that good.

TheWorldIsSquare posted:

Guy Gavriel Kay has written a few of those. If you like not-spaniards vs not-arabs with a little bit of not-jews, read "The Lions of Al-Rassan"; or if you prefer not-vikings vs not-anglo-saxons with a little bit of not-welsh, read "The Last Light of the Sun".

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Talas posted:

I've never read any of the Discworld books, should I start at the beginning? They are a lot and I heard the first few ones are not that good.

I would recommend just reading them more or less in the order they were written. Some later ones are good, but some early ones are also very good. Generally there will be characters you like and want to read more of (Death) and some characters you don't like and can avoid (Granny Weatherwax).

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

V for Vegas posted:

I would recommend just reading them more or less in the order they were written. Some later ones are good, but some early ones are also very good. Generally there will be characters you like and want to read more of (Death) and some characters you don't like and can avoid (Granny Weatherwax).

You're just mad because Death lost with all ones at poker.

I would really consider skipping the starting books (see here) for all the series except for the Watch and Death books. Also, skip the first two Ricewind books.

However, I may be murdered with a banana for saying to skip books.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

SystemLogoff posted:

I would really consider skipping the starting books (see here) for all the series except for the Watch and Death books. Also, skip the first two Ricewind books.

However, I may be murdered with a banana for saying to skip books.

No, it's a legit thing to say. First two Rincewind books are fun, quirky parodies of S&S fantasy, but they're not really Discworld yet. The first books I read were the ones in the Death Omnibus I got (Mort, Reaper Man, Soul Music) and they're a great entrance into the series.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Just read Small Gods as it has been scientifically and thaumaturgically proven to be The Best Discworld Book.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

I'd also say skip the very first books- "not really Discworld yet" is a great way to describe them. Everyone I know says to start with Guards, Guards, since it's late enough to be "really Discworld" and is also the introduction to the best set of characters in the whole series.

That being said, I started with Small Gods and that was also fine. Small Gods is mostly standalone, so I guess it's up to you which type you'd want to start with.

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.
Can someone recommend me where to start with Peter Straub?

I read Ghost Story and loved it, and am looking for a new horror author to spend some time with.

I also read Black House and Talisman.

Actually, I'll take any Horror Author recommendations. I've read most of King and Barker, tried Koontz and hated what I tried, but he's written 8million books so maybe there is some good stuff in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

noirstronaut posted:

What do you think of John Dies at The End (if you've read it)? A lot of reviews are simply saying "it's funny and scary"

It's neither of those things.