Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
I must own this
http://madison.craigslist.org/tls/3540496388.html

quote:

Snap On Mini Refrigerator - $500 (Madison East)
I have a new never plugged in Mini Fridge.The Fridge includes a Snap On Branded cover which fits nice.It includes an ice bucket and a divider for the top portion.I also have a set of 4 Red Beer glasses new in box as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Must resist blowing savings account......

http://desmoines.craigslist.org/cto/3559785332.html

Also...

http://desmoines.craigslist.org/cto/3559785332.html

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

We know what you been up to and my advice on that little venture is to pack it in. It won't work. It will all end in tears.
Dont tell Kastein

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I know, the newer one looks awesome. But some thing about the old school charm of a Jeep Deuce just sounds awesome.

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

We know what you been up to and my advice on that little venture is to pack it in. It won't work. It will all end in tears.
Didnt you read the ad? its waaaay better than a deuce.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Must resist blowing savings account......

$7500

Does that help or hurt? Because bobbed deuces are the best deuces.

http://100dollarman.com/trucks.html

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I will now sing for you a song that I hope will ease your performance anxiety.

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

I had an '88 Nova which was basically the same car. Mine was a sedan though.

It is almost definitely fwd and has a carbureted 4a which is a gutless wonder. In my experience it was reliable as hell aside from leaky valve stem seals. It smoked like crazy up until I sold it.

I can't speak for the auto but the 5 speed was solid. This was with a stock motor though.

Besides that stuff it was a fun car in that "weighs nothing and has pizza cutter tires" sort of way. Fun to throw around for sure.

I wouldn't recommend it for a project but its a good and fuel efficient driver for sure.

Thank for the heads up. Fwd is a deal breaker.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
You know if they had trucks like that, and at that price here I wouldn't have bought the Fairlane? I've always wanted something like that to drop the kids off at school with and do the groceries. I think I'd even put some variant of those godawful stick family decals on there just to get the point across. Plus I'd enjoy the hell out of my drat unreliable truck that's always broken when someone needs to move house.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Citycop posted:

I had a 1988 Corolla, pretty decent but rather gutless little commuter.

If you want a RWD Corolla, you either have to go 1983 or earlier (E70 chassis and back), or get an SR-5 (AE85) or GT-S (AE86) on the 1983-1987 E80 chassis. The GT-S came with a 112hp EFI engine in the US, but good luck finding one that hasn't rusted to death or been killed by the doriftu crowd.

I hope against hope that I'll be able to find a flawless AE86 coup with little or no rust, but I'm starting to think it'll never happen.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jan 23, 2013

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I had an '84 sedan, in Alaska.

Extremely fuel efficient. It should be able to do mid-40s highway, and high 30s without even trying. Boring on asphalt, but get it on loose surfaces (where the lack of power matters less) and it's a different story. The light weight comes in handy, too. I accidentally drove mine onto hard-packed snow...like a couple inches of crust on top of two feet of loose dry snow...twice. This was weak enough that if I stepped too hard you could break through. I turned around and drove out each time.

If you don't live someplace with lots of snow, sand, or gravel, you probably won't have much fun with it. If you do, loving BUY IT.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Citycop posted:

I wouldn't hate on FWD, a well set up one is good for day to day driving. Infact I had the same model Corolla, but with the 4AGE motor in it, as well as better suspension setup. Kinda miss the old thing even though it was rusting to death (for Australian conditions, which is like 2 on the Sockington scale)

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I will now sing for you a song that I hope will ease your performance anxiety.
JDM RHD 1985 AE86 Levin GT Apex Hatchback *Clean* - $13000 (Dallas)

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/3551003768.html

so sad.... He's just teasing.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Honestly, with the right suspension (springs and dampers especially) FWD cars are fine for spirited driving, even motorsport stuff. The only thing they categorically cannot do is proper drifting, i.e. sustained powerslides.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I know, the newer one looks awesome. But some thing about the old school charm of a Jeep Deuce just sounds awesome.

Try to find one with a manual, they're really fun to drive. And realistically, there's no reason to get a 5ton over an M35.

General_Failure posted:

Plus I'd enjoy the hell out of my drat unreliable truck that's always broken when someone needs to move house.

They're fairly reliable, in my experience, and we routinely drove them through some crazy poo poo with a bunch of equipment in the back.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Sir Tonk posted:

Try to find one with a manual, they're really fun to drive. And realistically, there's no reason to get a 5ton over an M35.

They're fairly reliable, in my experience, and we routinely drove them through some crazy poo poo with a bunch of equipment in the back.

I hear that they are pretty indestructible... just huge turds for driving. I am pretty sure the 68 Jeep it has the Continental Multi-Fuel engine.... Which how much of a pain in the rear end it is to turbo-charge the engine or am I asking for a bunch of poo poo to break. From doing a little reading it says that I need to put in a new head gasket. The power wont change much, but it does help it be a little more efficient.

Though I am wondering how much of a bitch it is to just say gently caress it, rip out the multi-fuel and put in a Detroit of some kind. According to Wiki, the transfer case is divorced, so I could technically put in a bigger engine and a transmission with more gears.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

General_Failure posted:

Which bit? Blowthrough turbos on carbs are a thing, but that implementation...uh.

Or is it the too-thin purple paint on the outside hinting at its original faded reddish hue?

Yeah, blow through turbos are a thing.
Wayne Dyson was doing 10 sec 1/4 miles with a rx3 weber carbed with garret t04 13B rotary in the early 1990s.
And Vlad did 9s with a carbed blow through too.
Shiiiit, that was 20 years ago, no one does it now.
Nearly every rotary had a 48mm IDA, though some went to 50mm with extended fuel bowls back then. Those turbos were DCOE, I even went crazy with twin 40 IDFs taken from a sprint car.
I had a mate that used a 'predator' carb (it was just a bucket more or less to pour fuel, rectangular butterfly, weird thing), and another that tried a holley 650 dp - adapter kit was made with a plate to fit in the standard nikki(12a) or hitatchi (13b) manifold. Got to be insane to use anything other than EFI these days though.
But my twin 40IDFs looked pretty cool at least

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jan 23, 2013

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
http://richmond.craigslist.org/cto/3517466326.html

Good thing it's an automatic NA, the flames might burn out if you go too fast.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Fo3 posted:

Yeah, blow through turbos are a thing.
Wayne Dyson was doing 10 sec 1/4 miles with a rx3 weber carbed with garret t04 13B rotary in the early 1990s.
And Vlad did 9s with a carbed blow through too.
Shiiiit, that was 20 years ago, no one does it now.
Nearly every rotary had a 48mm IDA, though some went to 50mm with extended fuel bowls back then. Those turbos were DCOE, I even went crazy with twin 40 IDFs taken from a sprint car.
I had a mate that used a 'predator' carb (it was just a bucket more or less to pour fuel, rectangular butterfly, weird thing), and another that tried a holley 650 dp - adapter kit was made with a plate to fit in the standard nikki(12a) or hitatchi (13b) manifold. Got to be insane to use anything other than EFI these days though.
But my twin 40IDFs looked pretty cool at least

I'll agree with that. If you are building for performance the only way to go is EFI. If you are having a bit of fun with an older motor, tarting it up with some go faster bits I see no problem with sticking with a carb.

I absolutely loathe both Nikki and Hitachi carbs. Probably better engineered than the Holley / Weber carbs but they are such a pain to work on and have wear issues that can't easily be rectified.

IDFs always look cool.

I've always wanted to get my hands on a Fish carburettor to clean up and put on something. I know the ridiculous economy and power claims are BS, but the more levelheaded ones are believable. It's a neat design though and I'd love to put one through its paces.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Blow-through carb setups are still VERY much a thing at the track :colbert:

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Content!

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/ocean-reef/cars-vans-utes/modified-unreg-1997-lada-niva-detroit-locker-price-drop-/1010444356

I actually know of this one. I also know that it was in pristine condition when he got it and that it was an absolute steal. I also know who found it for him. e: there's also a build thread on it I think. It's not creepy internet stalker if my knowledge of this has precedence is it?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

After all the trouble a Fairlane's given you, you're still dead set on getting an old Soviet car? :aaa:

edit: unless they recently became a not terrible car or something.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Tusen Takk posted:

After all the trouble a Fairlane's given you, you're still dead set on getting an old Soviet car? :aaa:

edit: unless they recently became a not terrible car or something.

They never really were terrible. It's just the owners were generally tightasses who didn't maintain them. Plus it's simple, and simple to maintain / repair, cheap and parts are available. That's one up on the Fairlane in every aspect. Plus it can go offroad a lot better than the Fairlane, has quarter windows / vents / glasses (depends on where you come from) and provision to use a crank. I kind of want to replace the Fairlane with a Discovery anyway as I mentioned somewhere previously. The only way is up really.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

General_Failure posted:

They never really were terrible. It's just the owners were generally tightasses who didn't maintain them. Plus it's simple, and simple to maintain / repair, cheap and parts are available. That's one up on the Fairlane in every aspect. Plus it can go offroad a lot better than the Fairlane, has quarter windows / vents / glasses (depends on where you come from) and provision to use a crank. I kind of want to replace the Fairlane with a Discovery anyway as I mentioned somewhere previously. The only way is up really.

Ah, in that case this makes sense. I must be thinking of a different Soviet-era model that was absolute garbage. May have been the ZiL :v:

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Tusen Takk posted:

Ah, in that case this makes sense. I must be thinking of a different Soviet-era model that was absolute garbage. May have been the ZiL :v:

The Samara was a pile of poo poo.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

General_Failure posted:

OK, I've been meaning to ask: is your Fairlane a variant of the Falcon, or something else? That's one I'm not familiar with, other than the US Fairlane from the '60s-'70s.

e:Wikipedia is my friend. Longer wheelbase than the Falcon, like the Holden Caprice versus Commodore, I think. I'm guessing by your descriptions, that it's a '90s NA or ND chassis. So the 302 is hard to find parts for? Says here it's based on the Canadian variant used in N. American light trucks rather than the one used in the Mustang or other passenger cars, with provisions for RHD. Was it not a popular model or something?

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jan 25, 2013

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Darchangel posted:

OK, I've been meaning to ask: is your Fairlane a variant of the Falcon, or something else? That's one I'm not familiar with, other than the US Fairlane from the '60s-'70s.

More or less. It's a LWB version which has been massaged slightly but from the rear of the front doors forward it's more or less a Falcon.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

General_Failure posted:

More or less. It's a LWB version which has been massaged slightly but from the rear of the front doors forward it's more or less a Falcon.

You replied as I was editing!
Is it just a pain to find parts for the V8, or the Fairlane specifically? The 302 is one of the most common engines short of the small-block Chevy here in the US.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Devyl posted:

Blow-through carb setups are still VERY much a thing at the track :colbert:

I'll believe you because now I think more about it I was maybe remembering incorrectly anyway. I'm pretty sure now that the rotaries I mentioned were draw through.
Edit;

So now I can't remember where I saw blow through turbo rotaries.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jan 25, 2013

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Darchangel posted:

You replied as I was editing!
Is it just a pain to find parts for the V8, or the Fairlane specifically? The 302 is one of the most common engines short of the small-block Chevy here in the US.

That's a good question. I don't think there's a whole lot of mechanical difference between them. Mostly body, trim pieces, taillights, that sort of thing. I know it has a different ratio diff and I'm not really sure about the rest. I do get the impression that there may be some suspension differences. The driveshaft would certainly be different. The instrument cluster too I think. Couldn't really say. because you have the Fairlane which the Ghia is pretty implicit, which seems to be different to the Fairmont Ghia (Falcon based body not LWB), then there's the LTD, the Sportsman (mine), and the Concorde I think. Mostly different trim and options but enough to cause grief for the unsuspecting owner or mechanic.

302s are pretty uncommon here and hoarded. The I6 is common and for a reason. It's a good motor.

Oh, I forgot the wagon which I believe is also LWB but with different rear suspension to the Fairlane.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

General_Failure posted:

302s are pretty uncommon here and hoarded. The I6 is common and for a reason. It's a good motor.

How much does a short-block stock 302 that's been used go for around there?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Devyl posted:

How much does a short-block stock 302 that's been used go for around there?

I couldn't tell you. I've never even seen one. I've only seen one in a wreckers ever as well.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

General_Failure posted:

I couldn't tell you. I've never even seen one. I've only seen one in a wreckers ever as well.

Seriously? I wonder how much freight shipping would be, because I can get long-block 302's about 5 miles from me for $100 all day.

Content:

:getin:

Devyl fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jan 25, 2013

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

General_Failure posted:

302s are pretty uncommon here and hoarded.

What year is your Fairlane? Because I know at one point Ford of Oz had a 302 Cleveland, completely unrelated to the 302 the US got.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Devyl posted:

Seriously? I wonder how much freight shipping would be, because I can get long-block 302's about 5 miles from me for $100 all day.

Content:

Shipping from the US to Australia is not worth it unless you really want that 302. IIRC it'd cost at least $300 to get that to Australia.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Q_res posted:

What year is your Fairlane? Because I know at one point Ford of Oz had a 302 Cleveland, completely unrelated to the 302 the US got.

General Failure has a mid 90s Fairlane. The Cleveland 302 was only built in Australia between 1972 to 1982.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Devyl posted:

Content:

That thing is rolling probable cause.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
As a followup to my Miata post from a few weeks ago, here's an ad with a very similar description but a white car.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

You Am I posted:

General Failure has a mid 90s Fairlane. The Cleveland 302 was only built in Australia between 1972 to 1982.

Oh, a Cleveland 302. When you talk about Ford motors in the states and say "302", we always think of the Windsor 302. I honestly didn't even realize there was a Cleveland 302.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

trouser chili posted:

Oh, a Cleveland 302. When you talk about Ford motors in the states and say "302", we always think of the Windsor 302. I honestly didn't even realize there was a Cleveland 302.

Yep. It's most definitely an imported 302W. Although the exact parts mix is a little mysterious. The non OBD EEC-V ECU programmed totally differently to even the I6 is the icing on the cake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Holy crap.

- Custom dualies at all 4 corners
- Wind-up toy prop on the trunk
- Realtree wrap
- Grenade hood ornament (built by and for goons?)