Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Nice picture. You must have a great camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

So tamales were mentioned, more specifically a commandment to use lard. I was thinking of making some vegetarian ones, so I can't use lard. Is there a best substitute? My first guess was crisco, but I'm open to suggestions.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Casu Marzu posted:

Nice picture. You must have a great camera.

oh, casu :allears:

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Eeyo posted:

So tamales were mentioned, more specifically a commandment to use lard. I was thinking of making some vegetarian ones, so I can't use lard. Is there a best substitute? My first guess was crisco, but I'm open to suggestions.

Yeah, use shortening. You could like, use a mixture of shortening and olive oil for flavor. But yeah.

We went to Midnight Cowboy. $12 cocktails, min 2 per person. There for 2 hous, had some of the best drinks of my life, and I am now hammered.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
I've seen the three-times thing, and it makes me incredibly nervous every time because I was raised that a) not offering a guest a snack or drink or at least something is unwelcoming and b) refusing an obviously sincere offer of food without at least a stated reason ("I just ate", "I have religious dietary restrictions", "I'm going to eat in just a bit" and "I'm on a diet" are all acceptable) is vaguely offensive.

My pathological need to sufficiently feed guests has gotten me into trouble more than once.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Test Pattern posted:

I've seen the three-times thing, and it makes me incredibly nervous every time because I was raised that a) not offering a guest a snack or drink or at least something is unwelcoming and b) refusing an obviously sincere offer of food without at least a stated reason ("I just ate", "I have religious dietary restrictions", "I'm going to eat in just a bit" and "I'm on a diet" are all acceptable) is vaguely offensive.

My pathological need to sufficiently feed guests has gotten me into trouble more than once.
In those situations where you're not sure if they're being sincere in not wanting anything, just pop into the kitchen, grab some snacks, and set them down on the table. Generally people will eat if the food is within reach. XD

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Help me be not in over my head, then. I'll take advice.

Most of that stuff is for during the reception though, at which point I'm not doing anything. The plan is to cook and prep for the days leading up to the wedding, and the day of to do final work and get everything in warmers or what have you, then put on my suit and go get hitched. Other people will take care of the serving and so forth, so that's not a big deal. Photos, dances, etc., etc. will all happen when I'm in chill out time. PLUS, since I'm paying for this whole gig, I get a little more say than the average groom in deciding what goes down when, I think. Though I stress that I am a very gracious host.

Okay. I've given this a lot of thought and I think the problems you are going to run into are the following:

Underestimating prep time (easily solvable)
Logistics- obtaining the ingredients, transporting them, transporting food, etc (solvable with enough planning)
Equipment- tongs, chafing dishes, sterno fuel, serving dishes, etc. (planning)
Cooling and reheating- (this is the big one.)
Effective delegating- (that's all you.)

Here's what I would do (assuming I was insane enough to try to cater my own wedding)

Write out a complete shopping list, decide where and how to store that food.

Write out a complete prep list with the equipment you will need. Think of things like mixing bowls and temporary storage containers for prepped foods.

Make a timeframe for prep and pad the hell out of it.

Figure out what you can delegate, to whom, and then make a contingency plan for them flaking out.

Before you turn on the stove and cooking, review your timetable, make sure you know the path of every bit of food and equipment throughout the day.

Cook.

Here's where it's going to get dicey. Since you're cooking ahead and reheating, you are going to need to take food safety into consideration. You don't need to go whole hog with restaurant-level HACCP controls, but there are going to be a few items that have the potential to sicken many of your guests and kill kiddos and old folks if you don't handle them correctly. For example, the pozole:

Say you spend all morning making a 15 gallon pot of pozole. It's perfect and delicious and wonderful and 160F, and it's noon, the day before the wedding. Bacteria love pozole as much as people do- it's a perfect growth medium for all kinds of nasty bugs, especially between 70 and 130F. So you need to cool your soup as quickly as possible. (restaurant guidelines say two hours to 70F and then four more hours to 41F.) If you put that pot in the fridge, it will still be over 70 in the morning (as well as the rest of the stuff in your fridge.) If you put the whole pot outside on your porch, the outside might be nearly frozen but the inside might still be over 70F in the morning, since you would have to cover it tightly to keep critters out. You have to divide it up into smaller, shallower containers. Then I would put those containers out on the porch. So the day of the wedding, you have fifteen frozen gallon-sized containers of pozole that need to be quickly reheated to >135F but not burned. At work, I'd use a steamer to mostly thaw, and then dump the thawed soup into a steam-jacketed kettle. Without those things, I'd probably wait for the pozole on my porch to reach 40F and then put it in the fridge, if there was room, and the cellar if there was not, then take it to the church in a cold liquid state to reheat on the stove in as many smallish pots as I can afford, and then keep it hot (>140F) as long as it's being served.

Same rules apply for all the hot food. Basically you want to avoid having anything that has a lot of protein, moisture, oxygen and neutral to slightly acid PH from hanging out in the "temperature danger zone" (41F-135F) for much more than 4 hours. This is generally not an issue when you're dealing with small portions, or cooking and immediately serving, but when you're batch cooking and reheating large quantities, it really is something you need to be aware of. I know how thorough you are when it comes to sourcing your food, which is awesome, but in this situation the risk is still magnified even if nothing is badly contaminated when it comes to you since the danger is mostly from time/temperature abuse which can cause tiny, incidental bits of bacteria to replicate to unsafe levels.

Once you solve that problem, on to service!

Make a plan in advance similar to your prep plan. Include ALL utensils, small wares, serving vessels, etc. Then have someone other than you who is in charge of it on the day of the wedding.

Good luck, let me know if you want more detail on anything.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Persians have an interesting take on the 3 times offer thing. If you compliment something, and they could reasonably give it to you (i.e. it's not bolted down or prohibitively large) they will offer it to you. Sometimes it's fine to accept, but generally speaking you say something along the lines of "Oh no I couldn't." Then they'll offer it two more times, and if you refuse both of those times then everything's satisfied and they drop it.

A friend of mine was learning Persian, and visiting with this Persian family she knew vaguely, and made the dire mistake of commenting on how pretty the grandmother's huge heirloom diamond ring was. The woman, of course, took it off and offered it to her. Totally flustered, she refused. Then the woman insisted. She refused again. Then the woman was like, "No, please, take the ring. I really want you to have it, it would mean a lot to me if you were to take the ring." So she took the ring. She eventually returned it through the grapevine, but apparently the woman was staring hate daggers at her until she left.

Culture!

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Easiest way to cool that 15gal if pazole(he won't need 15gal for 200, I'd go 7-8gal) is to fill 5-6 gallon ziploc bags with water and freeze them. Use them as ice wands to chill your soup.

Tamales don't have to be cooked prior to the day, IF your church has a steamer.

You'll want two buffet lines, so plan on 8 chaffers. Have utensils and small plates, don't give everyone a 10in plate to load up only for things to go to waste because they got too much.

I need more info about the venue and kitchen to be able to help you fully.

e: when I get home tonight I'll write you a BEO mockup with a full menu and prep amounts.

Chef De Cuisinart fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jan 26, 2013

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Okay, caterers. I am noting advice. I have cooked for very large groups on many occasions, even in a professional capacity, so I'm not completely new to this, but I'm happy to have the help since I haven't cooked except for friends and family in over a decade.

Here's a picture of the kitchen at my disposal. I can supply other photos if needs be:

Equipment is the 8 burner with griddle in the photo, with ovens/broilers, lots of work surfaces, double stand up commercial fridges, 1 stand up freezer, various sinks, tons of pots, pans, dishes and serving platters etc. etc. What I don't have in there is a deep fryer, commercial mixer, tilt boiler, or ice maker.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Okay, caterers. I am noting advice. I have cooked for very large groups on many occasions, even in a professional capacity, so I'm not completely new to this, but I'm happy to have the help since I haven't cooked except for friends and family in over a decade.

Equipment is the 8 burner with griddle in the photo, with ovens/broilers, lots of work surfaces, double stand up commercial fridges, 1 stand up freezer, various sinks, tons of pots, pans, dishes and serving platters etc. etc. What I don't have in there is a deep fryer, commercial mixer, tilt boiler, or ice maker.

That looks do-able. Are you transporting the food to the reception hall? if so, you definitely want to invest in miles and miles of 24" plastic wrap.

Keep in mind the more cold food you have, the easier your life will be the day of.

The hardest part is going to be cooling, storing, reheating, transporting, setting up and serving. Is there someone you could deputize as sous chef to oversee things on the day of the wedding?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I'll be doing all the cooking there, so the food won't be transported more than 20 feet. No one to deputize, but rather a gaggle of ladies who will ensure that the food and dishes and what have you get laid out once I'm done with the cooking.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I'll be doing all the cooking there, so the food won't be transported more than 20 feet. No one to deputize, but rather a gaggle of ladies who will ensure that the food and dishes and what have you get laid out once I'm done with the cooking.

You should really consider this again...

Do you want to be dead tired for the reception.. Aching back and feet... Constantly worried that something has gone wrong... Running out to the kitchen to ensure that everything is as it should be etc?

I can understand if you make pot au feu or something like that, because that is pretty low-effort up to the end, where it gets to be intense again.. But...

What I am saying - do you want to participate in the reception, or do you want to be a main player behind the scenes...

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Word. I still wouldn't do it, but a posse of church ladies and doing the cooking on-site will solve a lot of the problems I mentioned. I was assuming the KofC was offsite.

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

Happy Hat posted:

What I am saying - do you want to participate in the reception, or do you want to be a main player behind the scenes...

We had ~120 people at our wedding, it was completely catered, yet I still had very little time to relax. I had a great time, but I don't know that I would have if I was responsible for anything else that day, especially something like food (esp. for 80 more people). My three goals for the day were for my wife and I to enjoy the day, our guests to enjoy the day, and for nothing to go particularly wrong. Adding a huge responsibility to what I was already doing would have made at least one of those goals suffer, and to me that defeats the purpose of wasting all that time and energy on a day that goes by very quickly.

It sounds like he's made up his mind, but I completely agree with you.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Well, I have asked the Hispanic Club if they would cater the entire event, which is really my first choice. But they haven't made a decision yet. Cooking myself is plan B.

As for enjoying the reception - my vision here is that by the time the reception happens, there is literally no more cooking to be done. Absolutely everything will be in warmers or in the fridge by then, ready to be served. The nature of the food lends itself to that, I think. Unless there's something I'm forgetting?

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

What about the wedding ceremony itself? The timeline I've usually seen at weddings I've been to is for the ceremony to begin sometime in the afternoon, a two-hour ish break for the wedding party to take pictures with family, and then into the reception/dinner probably an hour or two later depending on the schedule for initial introductions by the host, etc. This may not be the exact timeline for your wedding but if your family's anything like mine you would have no time whatsoever to be cooking*, even if you could leave right after the ceremony and skipped all the pictures and poo poo family expects at the beginning of the reception.

*Keep in mind however I've never cooked for a large crowd apart from making a giant portion of something to bring to family potlucks, which seems to be nickels and dimes compared to catering your own wedding. :smith:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Eh, the mass starts at 5, should got until about 6, half an hour or so for pictures, then the reception starts in the hall next door.

2 hours for photos? Yeesh.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Eh, the mass starts at 5, should got until about 6, half an hour or so for pictures, then the reception starts in the hall next door.

I'll tell you what. Everything, I mean Everything will run late. Plan out the entire day from waking up to tearing down down to the minute. Then add 10 minutes of transition time between every part. Make a photo and name matched cheat sheet for the photographer and the wedding planner. If you don't have a wedding planner get a really good friend to know who needs to be where when and to organize the pictures etc. make a list of all the shots you absolutely need the photographer to get. It really is a whirlwind and there are a lot of opportunities to miss something that you will never get a chance to capture again and herding relatives and friends who care significantly more about catching up with long lost aunts and new babies could eat up 30 minutes easily if you're not organized.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Honestly, as long as you give yourself enough lead time you'll be fine. For the preparation, decide on your menu at least two or three weeks out and start making as many lists as possible. Timelines, grocery lists, equipment lists, serving equipment lists. I would start four days out on the actual cooking, day one to get all your groceries loaded in and your longest projects started, day two to pick up everything you forgot about and to complete the majority of work. Day three to pick up all the other stuff you forgot and to finish all the work you didn't think would take as long as it does, as well as prep out all of your fresh veg/fruit. Morning of the wedding have a couple people you can delegate to, give them a timeline of when/how to reheat everything, have them make your fresh fruit/veg dishes, then just taste everything before it goes out.

As long as you don't schedule your only active working time as the day before and the day of the wedding you should be okay. It would be theoretically possible, but incredibly painful.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

GrAviTy84 posted:

I'll tell you what. Everything, I mean Everything will run late. Plan out the entire day from waking up to tearing down down to the minute. Then add 10 minutes of transition time between every part. Make a photo and name matched cheat sheet for the photographer and the wedding planner. If you don't have a wedding planner get a really good friend to know who needs to be where when and to organize the pictures etc. make a list of all the shots you absolutely need the photographer to get. It really is a whirlwind and there are a lot of opportunities to miss something that you will never get a chance to capture again and herding relatives and friends who care significantly more about catching up with long lost aunts and new babies could eat up 30 minutes easily if you're not organized.

Or hire a theatrical stage manager to run the wedding, poo poo will happen on time then. People who deal with actors for a living can easily deal with crazy aunts.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

GrAviTy84 posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the man has been married before. He has some idea of how it goes. That said, I still think it's madness to cater it yourself.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I would sooner perform my own vasectomy than cater my own wedding.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I would sooner perform my own vasectomy than cater my own wedding.
Where does catering a vasectomy fall?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Yawgmoth posted:

Where does catering a vasectomy fall?

Probably pretty close to catering a bris. You have to have smoked salmon.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

So y'all remember that onion thing going around facebook. There's a new one :allears: Holy lol.

quote:

What does Coca Cola's Dasani bottled water have in common with Death by Lethal Injection?

By Stephen Fox | stephen@santafefineart.com

The third largest ingredient in Dasani is potassium chloride. If you are to be put death, first you get a barbiturate, then a paralytic agent, and then the chemical to stop your heart (what a coincidence!) you guessed it: potassium chloride! "If you take everything out of the water, you don't get the crisp, clean taste that consumers desire," was the sanguine comment of Kim Price, spokesman for Coca-Cola. Question from Student at Oregon State University: I just noticed potassium chloride was listed as an ingredient in some bottled waters (Dasani, for example). But I remember from Chemistry and other sources of information KCl is used for lethal injections and is often times hazardous... so why would it be in bottled water?

Corporate Party line Answer: Potassium is a mineral found in a variety of natural foods and it is needed for your body to function properly. The reason you may see Potassium Chloride (KCl) as an ingredient in bottled waters is to help replenish a person's natural potassium stores. The amount of KCl a person consumes through food and beverage consumption is much less than is necessary for it to be harmful to a person's health. In order for KCl to be toxic, a person would have to consume more than 2500 mg/kg of KCl, which is an extremely large amount of KCl.

After contacting Coca-Cola directly, a representative from Coca-Cola stated that potassium chloride is added to their Dasani bottled water "because consumers prefer it." After conducting several taste-test studies, the results showed that consumers prefer water with the mineral (Potassiu chloride) than without it. The representative stated that the amount of KCl in the Dasani water is negligible according to FDA standards. This means there is less than 5 mg of KCl in each bottle of water. Another Coke representative, Ray Crockett, told Sun News last week that “the amount of KCL is tiny; there are no health effects for anybody, and that it is added for taste and to satisfy customer preference.” In other words, according to Coke: NO PROBLEM!

Checking a little further, we found that Potassium Chloride has some alarming properties: first, Potassium chloride occurs naturally as sylvite and is also extracted from salt water and can be manufactured by crystallization from solution, flotation or electrostatic separation from suitable minerals. It is a by-product of the making of nitric acid from potassium nitrate and hydrochloric acid. The majority of the potassium chloride produced is used for making fertilizer, because the growth of many plants depends on their potassium intake. As a chemical feedstock it is used for the manufacture of potassium hydroxide and potassium metal. It is used in water as a completion fluid in oil and gas operations. Side effects can include gastrointestinal discomfort including nausea and vomiting, diarrhea and bleeding of the gut. Overdoses cause hyperkalemia which can lead to paresthesia, cardiac conduction blocks, fibrillation and arrhythmias.

Lethal injection has 3 steps: first, Sodium thiopental: to render the “offender” unconscious; second, Pancuronium/Tubocurarine: to stop all muscle movement except the heart. This causes muscle paralysis, collapse of the diaphragm, and would eventually cause death by asphyxiation. Last: Potassium chloride: to stop the heart from beating, and thus cause death. In 1977, Jay Chapman, Oklahoma's state medical examiner, proposed a new, 'more humane' method of execution: "An intravenous saline drip shall be started in the prisoner's arm, into which shall be introduced a lethal injection consisting of an ultra-short-acting barbiturate in combination with a chemical paralytic." The People's Republic of China began using this method in 1997, Guatemala in 1998, and the Philippines in 1999; other countries have also legally, but not practically adopted the method. Nazi Germany's T-4 Euthanasia Program used lethal injection (with drugs that differed from the modern method) as one of several methods to destroy "life unworthy of life." ("Life unworthy of life"(in German: "Lebensunwertes Leben") was a Nazi designation for the segments of populace that, according to racial policies of the Third Reich, had no right to live and thus were to be "exterminated." This concept formed an important component of the ideology of Nazism and eventually led to the Holocaust.) Among other "contraindications" for taking potassium chloride as medicine are these: kidney disease; Addison's disease; stomach ulcer or intestinal blockage; and chronic diarrhea. There is another one, according to the FDA which is almost never there to protect you: FDA pregnancy category C.” This medication may be harmful to an unborn baby. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant during treatment. It is not known whether potassium chloride passes into breast milk or if it could harm a nursing baby. Do not use this medication without telling your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby.” Yet there are no warnings of any kind on a bottle of Dasani....

So if you drink a lot of Dasani, like 6-7 bottles a day, perhaps less, you might develop some of these symptoms: paralysis, numbness or tingly feeling, uneven heartbeat, feeling light- headed, fainting, chest pain or heavy feeling, pain spreading to the arm or shoulder, nausea, sweating, seizure (convulsions), or coma. If they persist or if you die from "Dasani poisoning," on behalf of your living survivors, ask your lawyer to get in touch with Neville Isdell, the Chairman and CEO of The Coca-Cola Company. Contact information:(404) 676-2121 | 1 Coca Cola Plz NW Atlanta, GA 30313. He has a phalanx of telephone operators who won’t connect you, however, so you might prefer to directly speak to the Vice President of Coca Cola for New Mexico, Antonio Anaya. Perhaps Mr. Anaya will be more truthful to you about this issue than he was when he told a Legislative Committee in 2006 that New Mexico would lose 600 jobs if aspartame were banned, and in 2007 that the entire ban aspartame bill reminded him of something out of “Twilight Zone.”

Our efforts might be productive, after all: in May 2007, Coca-Cola reformulated two of its soft drinks in the US to halt a lawsuit alleging they may contain the cancer-causing chemical, benzene. Coca-Cola, while still denying the allegation, said it changed formulas in its Vault Zero and Fanta Pineapple drinks in September 2006 to minimize benzene formation, the settlement document says. PepsiCo, Coca- Cola's arch-rival, which recently admitted that its bottled water comes straight out of the tap, still has action pending against it . Benzene is a known carcinogen and concerns over its presence in drinks went public last year, following an investigation by BeverageDaily.com and US lawyer Ross Getman. The widely used preservative sodium benzoate breaks down to form benzene in drinks also containing either ascorbic acid (vitamin C) or citric acid. America's soft drinks industry and food safety officials had known this for 15 years, internal memos show, although levels found were “not considered a risk to consumers' health.” Coke said it would ensure anyone performing a Google search for 'benzene', together with either of the products, would be directed to a special message on the Coca-Cola website.

News of Coca-Cola's reformulation is likely to spark more questions as to why these ingredients are still being used in drinks. America's Food and Drug Administration (FDA) made a private deal for the soft drinks industry to "get the word out and reformulate", according to Greg Diachenko, an FDA chemist present at meetings with soft drinks firms in late 1990 and early 1991. However, independent testing, as well as probes by the FDA and food safety officials in the UK, last year again found benzene in some drinks. One ex-FDA official suggested the agency has again fallen short. "Big companies are very powerful. If you're a regulator with a tight budget, it could have been one of those closets with skeletons in that you don't want to open," he said on condition of anonymity. Soft drinks industry leaders admitted to BeverageDaily.com that the message on benzene may have been lost in places since the issue emerged in 1990. But they also argued sodium benzoate's ability to kill bacteria both cheaply and effectively outweighed negligible risks over benzene.

One final question for soft drink consumers: the primary ingredient after water and sugar in all of them is always phosphoric acid, which gives the drink its “zing.” Yet phosphoric acid is primarily used outside of the soft drink industry as an industrial solvent, to clean toilet bowls, and to oxidize raw steel, so that it can be painted. Is this something you really want to drink or that your children should be drinking?

:psyboom:

tl;dr "I don't know how to use google and I don't know what LD50 means."

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
You could do one for salt, the sinister-sounding sodium chloride. " At higher dosages, this is used as an emetic. Take too much, and your renal function could shut down and you die. We asked every food manufacturer why they include this deadly product in their foods. The company line: consumers prefer it and it tastes better. Well, we dug a little deeper..."

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
wiggles - still gonna say you probably shouldn't self-cook your wedding. it's almost the end of January and I'm still exhausted from catering that engagement party of mine Dec 21 for ~75. I'm a pretty stong minded DIY guy too, overly ambitious and probably a bit overconfident when it comes to what I can/can't pull off.

on other fronts : valentines day sort of sucks, and not in the least because every single restaurant is packed and turning out poorly executed food like there's no tomorrow. after a couple of disappointing years, I think I've completely 2000% sworn off ever eating in a restaurant again on that godforsaken day. I'm still a sucker for romance and an occasion to spend a ridiculous amount of money on wine and food though, so I was sort of thinking about throwing a dinner party and inviting a couple of my coupley-friends.

I'm a bit stumped for food ideas though. I would say cliche "luxury" foods like lobsters and caviar, but I'm a bit over those recently. game sounds pretty good, and somehow that feels valentiney (game conjures killing conjures hearts conjures blood - speaking of which https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0dMtXRSCbQ), but after that I'm sort of at a loss for creative ideas. anyone have thoughts?

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Oysters evoke blowjobs. Just sayin'

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I had a pretty good 'hot oysters' play on nashville hot chicken at some place recently, that might not be a bad idea. blood red, makes you sweat, tasty as heck, makes Sjurygg think of sucking dick...

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

mindphlux posted:

makes Sjurygg think of sucking dick...

Well, most things do.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

therattle posted:

You could do one for salt, the sinister-sounding sodium chloride. " At higher dosages, this is used as an emetic. Take too much, and your renal function could shut down and you die. We asked every food manufacturer why they include this deadly product in their foods. The company line: consumers prefer it and it tastes better. Well, we dug a little deeper..."

This reminds me of when I was a kid and I learned that the iron in say, cereal, was actual literal iron the metal. And I was like oh poo poo, isn't eating metal bad? I wonder if the same people who freak out about chemical names would also freak out if the saw a list of the minerals our body uses. Or the chemical names of all the vitamins!

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

therattle posted:

How about the dreadful dihydromonoxide? It can kill you in high dosages, you know, in various awful ways.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

People like that should chew down on some 100% organic cyanide capsules.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
Hey, so, the cilantro thing might actually be a ... thing. https://www.23andme.com/about/factoid/cilantro/

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Was there really any doubt about that? It always sounded legit to me, I was just waiting around for somebody to bother finding the gene.

Sucks to be those people nonetheless :D

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Sjurygg posted:

Was there really any doubt about that? It always sounded legit to me, I was just waiting around for somebody to bother finding the gene.

A few people here bitched about the whiny manchildren who didn't like cilantro and their claims that it tasted soapy.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Sjurygg posted:

I'm one of them. I don't find it soapy but I don't like it. Neither does my father.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

therattle posted:

I'm one of them. I don't find it soapy but I don't like it. Neither does my father.

I genuinely pity you. Now that the GF is living here, we go through two bunches a week of the stuff. Love it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

therattle posted:

You big babby.