Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
gently caress every single one of these bloodsucking monsters but Teksavvy. Every time I pop into this thread I just get pissed off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
Acanac is okay too. They're cheaper than Teksavvy and have the same speeds, but unlimited bandwidth. They make you pay for the whole year up front though.

deepshock
Sep 26, 2008

Poor zombies never stood a chance.
Eastlink doesn't seem to be playing the same idiotic games the big ones are. Their 20Mb down/2 up plan is also completely uncapped at $73 (all costs factored in). That said, we really need better down east too.

deepshock fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jan 24, 2013

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Dudebro posted:

They're cheaper than Teksavvy and have the same speeds, but unlimited bandwidth.

TekSavvy also has unlimited bandwidth options.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

VERTiG0 posted:

gently caress every single one of these bloodsucking monsters but Teksavvy. Every time I pop into this thread I just get pissed off.
My biggest mistake was upgrading to Telus @Cityplace's 100/5/$100 connection because when I move out of this Dredd-esque block it's going to SUCK going back to 28/5 or whatever they're allowed to re-sell from Rogers' upper limit of 150/10.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

I was looking at whether the CRTC had made any rulings about fibre wholesale... and it looks like they did, in 2010.

Why don't we have the higher speeds yet?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Acanac has some of the worst customer service and trying to cancel from them was difficult.

It was super cheap though.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Shumagorath posted:

My biggest mistake was upgrading to Telus @Cityplace's 100/5/$100 connection because when I move out of this Dredd-esque block it's going to SUCK going back to 28/5 or whatever they're allowed to re-sell from Rogers' upper limit of 150/10.

28/1. Functionally, it's usually worse upload speeds than that.

Haha I just ran a few speedtests though and I'm getting 41Mbps in K-W on Teksavvy. That's after speedboost wears off, kinda weird.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

mediaphage posted:

28/1. Functionally, it's usually worse upload speeds than that.

Haha I just ran a few speedtests though and I'm getting 41Mbps in K-W on Teksavvy. That's after speedboost wears off, kinda weird.

Just ran it in cambridge, on 18/512 and rockin out a solid 12mbps and change, same as the other night.

Fuckin' condos, probably 80 old people sucking down Matlock episodes all night

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I switched to Start earlier this month, mostly because they had the best reviews of any ISP and didn't require a contract for a monthly discount like Acanac does. It got activated within a week as promised and haven't had any issues since.

I'm not thrilled that the service was advertised at 16/0.5 Mbit when I signed up and now they're 25/2. I guess I'll call and see if they'll bump it up.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

eXXon posted:

I switched to Start earlier this month, mostly because they had the best reviews of any ISP and didn't require a contract for a monthly discount like Acanac does. It got activated within a week as promised and haven't had any issues since.

I'm not thrilled that the service was advertised at 16/0.5 Mbit when I signed up and now they're 25/2. I guess I'll call and see if they'll bump it up.

How have they been for setup & customer service etc? I'm with Teksavvy, but it looks like Start is actually re-selling cogeco cable in my area, where as Teksavvy is not. My current DSL connection maxes out at 3Mbit/800kbit because the lines are so old, and I'd like to get out of the stone age.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

TrueChaos posted:

How have they been for setup & customer service etc? I'm with Teksavvy, but it looks like Start is actually re-selling cogeco cable in my area, where as Teksavvy is not. My current DSL connection maxes out at 3Mbit/800kbit because the lines are so old, and I'd like to get out of the stone age.

I signed up online and picked three dates (minimum 1 week from signup) to get a Rogers technician to install. They called to confirm the appointment the next day, and a week later the Rogers tech showed up on time and I got it up and running a few minutes after he left. They called to confirm it was working later in the day. Since then I've had no downtime and no reason to contact them (other than to bitch and get the upload speed increased, but I've been too lazy to do that so far).

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
Just call in and you'll change your profile for no fee. Mine was updated within an hour. Note that the caps are lower, for various reasons. They're waiting on a decision from the CRTC to bring down the aggregated back haul costs which are pretty ridiculous right now. My cap went from 300 to 150GB but I'm nowhere near that anyway so it was a free speed bump. Overage still $0.50/GB.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004

TrueChaos posted:

Do it. They're the only ones reselling Cogeco so if DSL sucks for you there's really no choice anyway, but you'll get way more for the same money. Calling in is great, no hold times and they all seem to know what they're talking about. Kind of Teksavvy in the old days.

E: double post. Sorry

Nebel
Sep 30, 2002

Soiled Meat

deepshock posted:

Eastlink doesn't seem to be playing the same idiotic games the big ones are. Their 20Mb down/2 up plan is also completely uncapped at $73 (all costs factored in). That said, we really need better down east too.

It's unlimited but they do some major traffic shaping with torrents (admittedly understandable to a point) and streaming video, I can't even use Facetime.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Looking at internet in Stoney Creek, I appear have two choices.

Cable with 30d/2u

DSL with 25d/15u

DSL is the right choice right? I don't think I can get any faster in the area I'm moving too.

justlikedunkirk
Dec 24, 2006
Hey guys, Bell is offering unlimited internet to everyone* for $10/month!**

*New residential customers only
**$10/month if subscribed to phone/internet/TV, price goes up to $30/month otherwise

This is progress right?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

justlikedunkirk posted:

Hey guys, Bell is offering unlimited internet to everyone* for $10/month!**

*New residential customers only
**$10/month if subscribed to phone/internet/TV, price goes up to $30/month otherwise

This is progress right?

You mean $10/$30 in addition to the $62 you're paying already. :allears:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

So, word on the street is telus IS changing the caps, but the icing on the cake is now they're jacking up rates to boot

http://telus.com/content/help/customer-messages/article.jsp?categoryId=internet&articleId=internet-rate-change

Skeematic
Jan 18, 2003

Yikes.

slidebite posted:

So, word on the street is telus IS changing the caps, but the icing on the cake is now they're jacking up rates to boot

http://telus.com/content/help/customer-messages/article.jsp?categoryId=internet&articleId=internet-rate-change

Wasnt the cap change supposed to go in to effect yesterday today? The website still shows the same caps as before. Also, they removed the option in my account to actually view usage, I hope they bring it back.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Not an advertising, just passing a word from Red Flag Forums

It's the beginning of the month and there is a limited number of promos that Rogers is offering in GTA for new customers:

No contract
$45.00 Rogers Extreme Internet (35 Mpbs/3 Mpbs)
Free extreme modem
200 GB a month
$14.95 activation charge
$49.95 installation fee
+Taxes
This rate is guaranteed for eight years with any increase to be credited back to you on monthly basis.

CONTACT # FOR NEW CUSTOMER DEALS:
Toll free: 1-800-605-6678

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Surely changing the rates will allow you to get out of a contract without penalty, right?

If not what the holy loving gently caress.

cobra_64
Apr 3, 2007
Any of you guys in the Peace River,Ab area? I have Telus high speed and am completely frustrated with it. I'm hesitant to get the Eastlink cable installed, I haven't heard much good about them. I'd love for one of the two companies to actually invest in a good network up here.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Telus is also raising the cost of Optik TV, which you have to have to get the internet package. Double whammy for most people.

http://telus.com/content/help/customer-messages/article.jsp?categoryId=optiktv&articleId=optiktv-rate-change

Binton
Jun 23, 2004
I am here, eating pie, with a fork.

priznat posted:

Telus is also raising the cost of Optik TV, which you have to have to get the internet package. Double whammy for most people.

http://telus.com/content/help/customer-messages/article.jsp?categoryId=optiktv&articleId=optiktv-rate-change
Ugh, sadly I have both of these so it looks like my monthly bill will be going up by $20 a month which is ridiculous.. Sadly after you buy new equipment and all that other poo poo the other alternatives aren't really any better, any $10 or $20 savings you'll see on the bill is erased by the receivers and modems you have to buy. And who knows who will have the best price in 3 years once you start to actually make the money back.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

This time I might actually get off my rear end and cancel my subscription and sign up with Shaw.. although their internet pricing also seems to have gone up since I last looked. Ugh.

Looked at my usage and for last month it was 213GB, which makes me nervous about the Telus dropping to 250GB. We just do Netflix, iTunes movie streaming and loading Steam games. That can eat up a lot of bandwidth :(

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Seriously, if there's an ISP or reseller that'll offer you unlimited internet for like $10-$15 more than what you pay now, do it. I went from 300 gigs with a 2-8 A.M. unlimited window, to 24/7 unlimited, and it's the best decision I've made in a long time. I was always nervous and wasting tons of time before planning all my downloads, and now that I don't have to stress over and plan around it I feel tons better. AND it's one less avenue through which Bell gets money from me, which is always a plus.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

univbee posted:

Seriously, if there's an ISP or reseller that'll offer you unlimited internet for like $10-$15 more than what you pay now, do it. I went from 300 gigs with a 2-8 A.M. unlimited window, to 24/7 unlimited, and it's the best decision I've made in a long time. I was always nervous and wasting tons of time before planning all my downloads, and now that I don't have to stress over and plan around it I feel tons better. AND it's one less avenue through which Bell gets money from me, which is always a plus.

I went with teksavvy and I'm getting unlimited Internet for $20 LESS than I would be paying for the same speed with a cap from shaw. It's a no-brainier. If only there were a good way to do that with my cell phone.

Lost Monkeys
Jan 7, 2013
I just switched all my home services from Bell to Cogeco, internet, phone, and TV. (I'm in Welland near Niagarafalls)

Got unlimited long distance across North America,including Mexico, Whole home DRV with 3 HD receivers, plus an additional non HD receiver.

My internet is 30/5 but I actually get about 27/3. I have 175GB per month limit but the most I have ever used is 145GB.

It costs me $41.95 I got a $20 per month bundle discount on it.

Total package is about $30 lower than I had with bell, with more receivers, whole home DVR, free long distance, plus I get way better internet. Bell was 5/1 with 25GB cap(best I could get in Welland).

I am happy with the package, I could not find anything between in my area. St Catharine's or Niagara falls have other options, but not here.

I even tried a 4G turbo hub as it was rated for 15/5 but cell coverage is also bad in Welland.

My cell phone a Galaxy S3 has a mobile hot spot with 6GB limit included in the package witch is nice when traveling.

I spent the last 5 years living in Sault Ste Marie, had Shaw internet up there. Decent speed, with advertised cap of 300GB but no penalty for going over. that was nice.

just curious if anyone else in my area knows of a better option. For now the 175GB a month is not a problem, I can upgrade to ultimate 60 package which offers 60/15 and 300GB limit for $99 but not sure if it would actually end up being so much faster, and I currently do not need the extra bandwidth. I miss the days of unlimited bandwidth when I did not need to worry about it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Skeematic posted:

Wasnt the cap change supposed to go in to effect yesterday today? The website still shows the same caps as before. Also, they removed the option in my account to actually view usage, I hope they bring it back.
I think it is the 4th or something like that.

Screw it. I am going to change from Telus. I will probably keep them for our land line (undecided), but Tecksaavy is looking pretty reasonable as an ISP even if it costs me more just to say gently caress you Telus.

To be fair, I almost certainly use <100GB a month and have never really torrented to any extent (zero for a couple of years now), but the whole principal of the thing loving blows.

I've had Telus as an ISP since the early 90s.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Feb 2, 2013

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So, I'm checking into Teksavvy and I think I'm going to probably change. I've got a couple of questions to ask my unbiased and knowledgeable friends here about options though:

http://teksavvy.com/en/residential/internet/dsl/high-speed-dsl-25---ab

quote:

TELUS - Static IP AB $4.00 / month
TELUS - /26 Subnet AB $80.00 / month
TELUS - /27 Subnet AB $40.00 / month
TELUS - /28 Subnet AB $20.00 / month
TELUS - /30 Subnet AB $5.00 / month
I know what a static IP is, but what is this whole "subnet" thing?

quote:

AB Band A $7.04 / month
AB Band B $9.58 / month
AB Band C $11.00 / month
AB Band D $10.48 / month
AB Band E $16.53 / month
AB Band F $14.18 / month
AB Band G $16.20 / month
Dry Loop Activation Fee $39.99
What the hell is a dryloop and should I have one?

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
A dry loop is what you use when you don't have a home telephone connection and don't want to pay for a landline. It's essentially a way for them to power your home landline to the exchange.

You don't need one if you have a landline phone number set up.

l33t HAXOR
Jun 21, 2000

Whats the matter, You dont like Fuckin Pearl Jam?

slidebite posted:

I know what a static IP is, but what is this whole "subnet" thing?

If you need more then 1 public static IP they will give you a subnet block
/30 subnet with a 255.255.255.252 mask will give you 4 numbers with 2 usable hosts. Assuming network is 192.168.1.0
Network number 192.168.1.0
Usable Host #1 192.168.1.1
Usable Host #2 192.168.1.2
Broadcast Addy 192.168.1.3
since both your interface and theirs need a usable host address a /30 only gives you 1 address on your end.

A /28 with a 255.255.255.240 mask will give you 16 numbers with 14 usable hosts. 192.168.1.0 being the network number 192.168.1.15 being the broadcast address and 192.168.1.1 to 14 being host addresses.

cobra_64
Apr 3, 2007
Hey Guys I just started looking at this thread and learned about TekSavvy. I am in a northern Alberta town currently with Telus. They speeds they give me are brutal and I am fed up with them. Here is my latest speedtest result

I entered my postal code into the TekSavvy website and it says that I can get up to 25Mbps Down with no cap which sounds absolutely amazing. I'm just curious if anybody else is from a small rural area and received or didn't receive what was promised from their website. My biggest concern is that if they just use the Telus infrastructure in the area then it won't be fast since the network is severely bottle necked or something.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

cobra_64 posted:

Hey Guys I just started looking at this thread and learned about TekSavvy. I am in a northern Alberta town currently with Telus. They speeds they give me are brutal and I am fed up with them. Here is my latest speedtest result

I entered my postal code into the TekSavvy website and it says that I can get up to 25Mbps Down with no cap which sounds absolutely amazing. I'm just curious if anybody else is from a small rural area and received or didn't receive what was promised from their website. My biggest concern is that if they just use the Telus infrastructure in the area then it won't be fast since the network is severely bottle necked or something.

They use Telus infrastructure.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
FYI--if you have internet, phone and TV with Bell, they now offer unlimited bandwidth for $10 extra/mo. We used to have Fibe 15 (75GB) + an extra 50GB/mo for $10 so for no added cost we've got unlimited.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

So basically spend money on features you need extra bandwidth to circumvent so that you can get the bandwidth to....circumvent the features you bought?

I love these pricing games bell/rogers plays on your average joe. Meanwhile, those of us with the wherewithal to do the barest of research to find cheap reliable voip and alternative media distribution (Netflix, etc) are still stuck with caps.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Zigmidge posted:

So basically spend money on features you need extra bandwidth to circumvent so that you can get the bandwidth to....circumvent the features you bought?

I love these pricing games bell/rogers plays on your average joe. Meanwhile, those of us with the wherewithal to do the barest of research to find cheap reliable voip and alternative media distribution (Netflix, etc) are still stuck with caps.

You can get it without the other services, I think, but it's more expensive. I don't really care as it's not my house and I'm only renting, so I'm not paying for the home phone. I do use Satellite TV for sports/Centre Ice, so that's not lost on me.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Zigmidge posted:

Those with the wherewithal to do the barest research to find those things can usually also do the barest research to find out that there are wholesalers with unlimited plans out there, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

thexerox123 posted:

Those with the wherewithal to do the barest research to find those things can usually also do the barest research to find out that there are wholesalers with unlimited plans out there, though.

Maybe you'd like to share because most of those wholesales offer unlimited at a reduced throughput which kind of ruins running tv, VoIP and Internet through that one line. And you're still subject to any tomfoolery the wholesalers' supplier (ie....wait for it.....bell or rogers!) wants to pull.

Besides, never mind any of that. Telling people to use a wholesaler for home Internet as a solution to our duopoly is a little absurd. By saying that, you're more or less going along with what the telcos have fed us as reasons against no caps.

Seriously though, if you know a wholesaler that offers great speeds with unlimited caps this entire thread's population would love to know.