Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Are there any good games where I could control a capital-size starship (preferrably with a joystick and throttle) that don't involve the letter 'X' and a number after it?

It's old but Independence War fits your description perfectly. You can pilot with a joystick, and the ship does not handle like a fighter, and you also have to manage a lot of systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

It's old but Independence War fits your description perfectly. You can pilot with a joystick, and the ship does not handle like a fighter, and you also have to manage a lot of systems.

Played it and beaten it already (One of my favourite games, too). I tried IDW-2 as well, but I just couldn't get into it.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Klingon Academy could fit the bill, good luck getting that sucker to run properly on anything newer than Windows 98 though.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

Hopefully this isn't out of place here, I was just wondering if you could recommend some mods for Mount & Blade and Mount & Blade: Warband
Prophecy of Pendor is quite like a fantasy version of the main game, with a lot of small (and not-so-small) improvements, more elite units, themed enemy armies, rival heroes and so on. It's really enjoyable if you're not burned out on what, when it comes down to it, plays a lot like the base game.

1866 is a Western-themed mod. I have no idea what state of completion it's in, but I played it two or three years ago and it showed a lot of promise. Check it out!

And then we have The Last Days, an utterly fantastic, comprehensive and professional LotR mod. You probably know about it already, but I can't not mention it.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I played my first game of M & B so I'm neither burnt out, or know what the hell I'm doing holy crap.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

I played my first game of M & B so I'm neither burnt out, or know what the hell I'm doing holy crap.
Oh, in that case, I honestly wouldn't recommend any mods. Even mods editing the basic game like Diplomacy or Native Expansion will just make things harder and more confusing your first time playing - to be honest, I don't bother with them myself, I find they add too much needlessly chore-like stuff to do when I just want to put together a big gang and chop off heads. It's certainly not the most polished and complete game in the world, but it's perfectly enjoyable in its unmodded state.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

Oh, in that case, I honestly wouldn't recommend any mods. Even mods editing the basic game like Diplomacy or Native Expansion will just make things harder and more confusing your first time playing - to be honest, I don't bother with them myself, I find they add too much needlessly chore-like stuff to do when I just want to put together a big gang and chop off heads. It's certainly not the most polished and complete game in the world, but it's perfectly enjoyable in its unmodded state.

I'd say that http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,148140.0.html?PHPSESSID=l1e6n6d13lpqn2ormr99voe5n7 is close enough to vanillas M&B that it doesn't seem intrusive or out of place.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I've been on an isolated exploration kick recently and played through Tomb Raider Anniversary + Underworld (Legends barely has any tombs in it!), Super Metroid and Prime 1 & 2.

Any other similar recommendations? Some kind of space age Tomb Raider, basically. I bet there's some indie games out there I'm not aware of.

Try the Darksiders series. They're Metroidvania games with dungeons, puzzle solving, weapon/tool upgrades and all that. The Darksiders 1 more so, Darksiders 2 is more action RPG.

I want a game with tight integration of base-building and exploration. The ideal is, you go out into the world, return with some resources or things for your base that improve it, which in turn improve your personal combat ability.

I hear Neverwinter Nights 2 has something like that, is that any good? Are there any other games like that?

William Bear fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jan 24, 2013

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.fastgames.com/pixellegions.html/

Is there a game on the market that runs something like this? Or am I wasting my time? (For those who don't want to play, it's a flash game where you guard a moving base that constantly spawns units, you move those units around to attack other bases. Then there's enviromental stuff like bombs and power up gates and things that add strategy to the game.

William Bear posted:

I hear Neverwinter Nights 2 has something like that, is that any good? Are there any other games like that?
I really didn't get any base building in NWN2 I might of course just be misremembering but it played like Baldur's Gate if Baldur's Gates combat system was based on 3.5e.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

NWN2 has a stronghold management aspect later in the game but it's done almost entirely through prompts.
You can gather material via mining hidden ore deposits and the like too.

You might like Hinterland, I don't remember a ton about it but it fits that idea for the most part.

There's also A Valley Without Wind but it's a very odd game that feels like it's just a testing ground for different ideas that don't entirely work that well.
But, the sequel(that you get for free if you buy or already own the first game) seems to be aiming to take a far more careful approach at the game and taking the community's ideas into consideration.

Deakul fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jan 24, 2013

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

William Bear posted:

I want a game with tight integration of base-building and exploration. The ideal is, you go out into the world, return with some resources or things for your base that improve it, which in turn improve your personal combat ability.

I would also love a game like this. Elder Scrolls games have home owning, and Skyrim has the Hearthfire expansion, but in that game, owning and upgrading homes is just kind of something you do on the side, and doesn't directly help with combat abilities.

Overlord 1 has base development, but I'm not sure if it's just an evil castle decorating thing or if improving it throughout the game makes you stronger, though.

Any ideas, anybody?

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jan 24, 2013

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
Any recommendations for simple 4X games?

My favorite one is the first Master of Orion since all you do is balance your budget, do diplomacy and order your fleets around, but it's a pretty old game and I'd like something with a more modern interface, bigger resolution and larger maps, genre doesn't matter.

I've tried some other 4X games but I usually get annoyed at all the micromanaging of build orders, binary resource spending choices and having to personally order every single shack to be built. I'd like something similar to MoO1 where I can just manage resource flows and hit next turn until they need adjustment. Real time with pause is fine too.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
For space 4X check out either Endless Space, or, if you have some cash, Distant Worlds (get the expansions as well). For what you are looking for I would recommend Distant Worlds as you can just automate whatever you want - empire management, fleet orders, building, diplomacy. Hell, put your whole drat civilization on auto, build a badass ship and fly around blowing poo poo up.

For fantasy 4X, Warlock: Master of the Arcane is :10bux: on Gamersgate at the moment, including all DLC - basically a combat oriented Civ 5.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Are there any good games where I could control a capital-size starship (preferrably with a joystick and throttle) that don't involve the letter 'X' and a number after it?

How about Battlecruiser/Universal Combat series?

William Bear posted:

Try the Darksiders series. They're Metroidvania games with dungeons, puzzle solving, weapon/tool upgrades and all that. The Darksiders 1 more so, Darksiders 2 is more action RPG.

TBH Darksiders 1 is more Legend of Zelda than anything else. Terraria is something you describe, but you probably played it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pyromancer posted:

How about Battlecruiser/Universal Combat series?

I played a bit of Battlecruiser Millennium Gold years ago, but the game was so buggy I gave up on it in the end. Are any of the later ones any better?

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
If anyone is familiar with the combat in Overgrowth, can someone point me to something similar? It's twitchy and fast and really hard to take on more than one or two enemies. One strong hit and you die.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I'm looking for a decent JRPG on either xbox or PC.

I tried playing Xenoblade last year but really couldn't get into it. (It didn't help that the graphics look like poo poo)

I was watching some stuff about Ni No Kuni and I don't have a PS3 so I can't play that, but it did give me the bug to play something like it.

Any suggestions?

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Mordiceius posted:

I tried playing Xenoblade last year but really couldn't get into it. (It didn't help that the graphics look like poo poo)

I was watching some stuff about Ni No Kuni and I don't have a PS3 so I can't play that, but it did give me the bug to play something like it.

Any suggestions?

Eternal Sonata, Resonance of Fate and Lost Odyssey are all quite good. Eternal Sonata might be closest to Ni No Kuni?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

William Bear posted:

It just hit me like a ton of bricks, Fallout New Vegas has 2 mods that do exactly this, and Skyrim has one. New Vegas has real time settler, and stronghold (or something similar.) Skyrim has Tundra defense.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

Any suggestions?

Tales of Vesperia. PC gaming and the 360 aren't huge in Japan, so there really aren't many options.

Resonance of Fate is fun if repetitive, but ignore the other guy about Eternal Sonata. Eternal Sonata blows.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Can someone reccomend RPG's for the Wii? I think I'd prefer a sort of more turn based/JRPG type over a more action oriented one. Basically my friend got a ps3 and she's going to let me borrow her Wii, she doesn't have any RPG's for it but she said she wouldn't mind trading some in for some for me to play, and for her to play later on. I saw The Last Story recommended a page earlier. Any other suggestions? Preferably nothing obscure, since it's going to have to come from a trade in at either Game Stop or the local nerd collectors store.

edit: I am a little bit weird about games. I prefer games that actually let you grind, rather than having like say a limited amount of mobs like Dragon Age. I know that sounds weird, but sometimes I just prefer to mellow out and kill dudes without worrying about advancing through the story, etc which is why I mention something JRPGish. What about Xenoblade: Chronicles? I see a review saying it has MMORPGish combat which I think I'd like since I played WoW forever. I also enjoy combat systems such as Final Fantasy XII and Star Ocean The Second for Ps1.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jan 25, 2013

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Kevin DuBrow posted:

If anyone is familiar with the combat in Overgrowth, can someone point me to something similar? It's twitchy and fast and really hard to take on more than one or two enemies. One strong hit and you die.

I'd never heard of this game, but after looking at the gameplay, man a game like this would be cool. Only preferably more polished, and, uh, less furry.

To answer your question, I don't think there's a game out there with a similar fighting system. The Bushido Blade games and Toribash are kinda-sorta close with the damage modelling and lack of a HP system, but they're both fighting games (one on one) not brawlers.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

BlazinLow305 posted:

Can someone reccomend RPG's for the Wii? I think I'd prefer a sort of more turn based/JRPG type over a more action oriented one. Basically my friend got a ps3 and she's going to let me borrow her Wii, she doesn't have any RPG's for it but she said she wouldn't mind trading some in for some for me to play, and for her to play later on. I saw The Last Story recommended a page earlier. Any other suggestions? Preferably nothing obscure, since it's going to have to come from a trade in at either Game Stop or the local nerd collectors store.

edit: I am a little bit weird about games. I prefer games that actually let you grind, rather than having like say a limited amount of mobs like Dragon Age. I know that sounds weird, but sometimes I just prefer to mellow out and kill dudes without worrying about advancing through the story, etc which is why I mention something JRPGish. What about Xenoblade: Chronicles? I see a review saying it has MMORPGish combat which I think I'd like since I played WoW forever. I also enjoy combat systems such as Final Fantasy XII and Star Ocean The Second for Ps1.

Get Xenoblade and don't look back, it seems like it fits your tastes best.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Are there any western RPGs out there that have combat like Kingdoms of Amalur but better stories/character interactions?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BlazinLow305 posted:

If you want grinding, crafting and a shitload of sidequests, atop a drat good plot, get Xenoblade. A single playthrough ignoring most of the sidequests will set you back 80 hours. Minimum. And there's enough sidequests to easily double that time.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you want grinding, crafting and a shitload of sidequests, atop a drat good plot, get Xenoblade. A single playthrough ignoring most of the sidequests will set you back 80 hours. Minimum. And there's enough sidequests to easily double that time.

I bought Xenoblade last year and tried liking it. Maybe I didn't get far enough in, but I played about 5 hours and thought it was boring as gently caress. It doesn't help that its on the wii and graphically looks like smeared poo poo.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mordiceius posted:

I bought Xenoblade last year and tried liking it. Maybe I didn't get far enough in, but I played about 5 hours and thought it was boring as gently caress. It doesn't help that its on the wii and graphically looks like smeared poo poo.

Xenoblade is big. Just saying "five hours" doesn't really tell us anything when it could've easily been spent knocking off sidequests in and around Colony 9. Also, are you using composite or component cables on your Wii? Because those will make a big difference in picture quality.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Xenoblade is big. Just saying "five hours" doesn't really tell us anything when it could've easily been spent knocking off sidequests in and around Colony 9. Also, are you using composite or component cables on your Wii? Because those will make a big difference in picture quality.

I always use component cables. The game just looks bad. I just didn't find the game fun I guess. And I know that's not a popular opinion around here.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I'm not too worried about the game not looking the best graphically. Right now my only gaming access is a ps2 and a really slow laptop I mostly just use to emulate Ps1 games.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Mordiceius posted:

I always use component cables. The game just looks bad. I just didn't find the game fun I guess. And I know that's not a popular opinion around here.

Personally I thought the combat in Xenoblade only started to get entertaining pretty far in. I think there are some pretty obvious flaws in the graphics but I managed to find it pretty enough when playing it on Dolphin, so if that's an option for you I recommend it.

As far as your Kingdoms of Amalur question, it's actually kind of tough to recommend anything because I know you've already played The Witcher 2. If you're up for some nonconventional storytelling, Dark Souls and Demon's Souls are both incredible games, some of the best of this generation, if not ever, and The Witcher 2's combat system is basically a lovely version of those games'.

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN

Mordiceius posted:

If you have a relatively good processor on your PC, Xenoblade looks much much better in an emulator like Dolphin. It has a few bugs here and there, but it's made up for by having the upgraded graphics and savestates.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Alkanos posted:

If you have a relatively good processor on your PC, Xenoblade looks much much better in an emulator like Dolphin. It has a few bugs here and there, but it's made up for by having the upgraded graphics and savestates.

You can play Xenoblade with an emulator? Does it use the Wii's motion controls very extensively, or does it stick to a traditional control scheme?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

GreatGreen posted:

You can play Xenoblade with an emulator? Does it use the Wii's motion controls very extensively, or does it stick to a traditional control scheme?

Traditional, I had no troubles mapping the controls to a PS3 controller.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Cake Attack posted:

Traditional, I had no troubles mapping the controls to a PS3 controller.

Wow thanks man, that's the best news I've heard all day. I've always been interested in Xenoblade, but I hate motion controls.

I'm going to finally give this a spin.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jan 25, 2013

ROOMBA floorvac
Aug 21, 2004

Alkanos posted:

That's how I played it. I ran mine on an i5 2500k with a 560ti @1080p with hardly any hiccups.

Game-wise it is in my top 5 favorite RPGs. It just manages to do everything right in an RPGs.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
I've had an itch for years for an open-world naval RPG. Something like Sid Meier's Pirates! but a little bit more up-to-date, I guess. I still get sucked into it from time to time but I do wish the combat (the land battles and the swordfights, sea battles are perfect) was more action-oriented. I've tried Pirates of the Burning Sea and Eve, but I can't get over the MMO aspects of those games. POTBS was close, though. I've also tried several Mount and Blade mods, which would be exactly what I'm thinking of if any of the ones I tried actually integrated naval combat well, which they don't. Not unless there's one I've missed.

Doesn't necessarily have to be age of sail. Spacecraft would be okay (Not Freelancer, virtually every single mission type is a space-dogfight of some kind), and steampunk-style airships would be :allears:.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

thehumandignity posted:

I've had an itch for years for an open-world naval RPG. Something like Sid Meier's Pirates! but a little bit more up-to-date, I guess. I still get sucked into it from time to time but I do wish the combat (the land battles and the swordfights, sea battles are perfect) was more action-oriented. I've tried Pirates of the Burning Sea and Eve, but I can't get over the MMO aspects of those games. POTBS was close, though. I've also tried several Mount and Blade mods, which would be exactly what I'm thinking of if any of the ones I tried actually integrated naval combat well, which they don't. Not unless there's one I've missed.

Doesn't necessarily have to be age of sail. Spacecraft would be okay (Not Freelancer, virtually every single mission type is a space-dogfight of some kind), and steampunk-style airships would be :allears:.
There are Russian games in that vein - Age of Pirates 2: City of Abandoned Ships (do get some fan mod like combined mod/gentlemen of fortune with it, for improved stability)
and recent, though on same dated engine(roughly Mount and Blade level, though better water and weather effects), Pirates Odyssey:To Each His Own (on Steam since December, not translated to English yet, although planned later http://store.steampowered.com/app/223330/?cc=ru)

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 25, 2013

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
I didn't even realise Steam had Russian-language games. I speak Russian, so that won't be a problem, but how does it play compared to AOP2? Because I have that but found the interface basically impenetrable. I've been meaning to give it another go but seriously, it's really, really awful.

e: holy poo poo the average full price is like 10-15 USD, I am just going to start playing games in Russian.

TacticalUrbanHomo fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jan 25, 2013

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Mordiceius posted:

You're not alone there. I'm unable to get into the game either. I gave it ten hours and it just didn't click for me.

EDIT: I can see the appeal. It's just not the game for me.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jan 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

thehumandignity posted:

I didn't even realise Steam had Russian-language games. I speak Russian, so that won't be a problem, but how does it play compared to AOP2? Because I have that but found the interface basically impenetrable. I've been meaning to give it another go but seriously, it's really, really awful.

It's pretty much the same as AOP2, just complete different storyline, additional generated quests, and few additions like crafting, possibility of complete ship repair without shipyard, talismans being equipped and limited duration items, new gun types with buckshot, grenades or harpoons instead of bullets. Although some game mechanics were changed too, notably ships now sail at highest speed at some angle to wind instead of having top speed in some sector around wind direction, blades now have balance statistic altering damage depending on type of strike(low balance will bonus stabs and feints and penalize heavy strikes and slashing and vice versa). Aside from looting corpses/chests screen there aren't any changes in the interface compared to AOP2.

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jan 26, 2013