Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Dehry posted:

I think a Pokémon X Persona game would work out fine, but there's no way they could get the rating under Teen/Pegi12 if they wanted to keep some semblance of the Persona characters intact.

To evolve Mara, have a friend on your schoolyard trade his or her Cloyster for it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

So Atlus' dad Index Corporation officially announced Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem as an "RPG". There's no specification of it being an SRPG, but that may be Index just playing very conventionally with the terms of the genre. It's a given but just in case someone might have thought it'd be like a fighting game or something, there you go.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Terper posted:

To evolve Mara, have a friend on your schoolyard trade his or her Cloyster for it!

Bro, not cool. You know that's how I got Pokérus.

TexMexFoodbaby fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jan 24, 2013

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

King of Solomon posted:

Except the experience points necessary to fight the bosses. :confused:

You can go back down to get EXP for that, though. I'm saying you're not missing out on anything by not exploring any of the floors.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Momomo posted:

You can go back down to get EXP for that, though. I'm saying you're not missing out on anything by not exploring any of the floors.

If you're doing Elizabeth's requests you're gonna need to explore the floors sooner or later though.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah, you could rush through the dungeon and then go back to grind for the sake of grinding, but that sounds like a lovely way to play. And you miss out on chests, too. Really, if all you do is explore every floor as much as you can, fighting most enemies you come across, you'll be fine for the bosses, and you wont have to do annoying grinding runs. Just integrate the battling into your general progress and the game's pacing flows much better, I feel.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
All I know about SMT X FE is that once someone with a Demonica shows up, they're leading my charge. A fair portion of this game's enemies are going to be knights and archers because that's just what Fire Emblem guys fight. So frankly, my money's on the guy armed with modern military equipment.

I want to know how this is going to work on like... any level. They aren't just disconnected by genre, they're disconnected by story and setting. How are they going to rationalize this, while also not having the guys that turned up with guns be clearly superior?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Cleretic posted:

I want to know how this is going to work on like... any level. They aren't just disconnected by genre, they're disconnected by story and setting. How are they going to rationalize this, while also not having the guys that turned up with guns be clearly superior?

Both SMT4 and FEA have story aspects that could be used to justify it, or they could just bring in an entirely new concept (smart money is on "Mankind's collective will called out to a deity to make it happen, also that deity is the last boss have fun!!") I mean, if you absolutely need something to justify it beyond "Here's a silly crossover with your favorite characters rendered in HD, have fun y'all!"

As for the gun thing, it's a JRPG.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
The final boss is going to be the physical manifestation of the RNG itself. :colbert:

Pooptimus Prime
Jun 12, 2005

Need I remind you!? The foolish receive no mercy...

Dorroile posted:

They definitely need some P1 characters. Throw Naoya in there, maybe go with Reiji instead of Maki even though they're obviously just throwing in the female leads, but Maki was boring. Then it will be a Good Game.

But haha, i can't believe some people think they'll be able to resist dumping in the entire P4 cast.

I'd go with Elly over Maki any day, myself.

cheetah7071 posted:

So, given that I am a fire emblem fan who wants to give the non-persona SMT games a try (I've played Personas 3 and 4, and gave 1 a try but it was too 90s JRPG for me), where should I start? The OP talks about a lot of games but doesn't seem to say what the consensus entry points to the series are.

I'd vote Nocturne, it's an incredibly strong game and good primer for the difficulty curve/plotlines of the rest of the series.

If you like portable games, the first Devil Survivor and Strange Journey are both excellent as well.

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

After the war of great troll, he only stands. He now returns to the legendary city to seek revenge on the death of his village. Episode 1: "Legendary School Girl Bubble Gum! Will Senpai Notice Me!?"
I hope the roster for SMTXFE is huge enough to accommedate at least two characters from the SMT spinoffs as well. I wouldn't be all that worried about Persona characters not making it in, considering that P4A was also on the 360. And if they were to only using characters from the main games, SMT's roster would be subsequently smaller than FE's, considering that there are about six games in the main SMT series, and ten in FE, I believe. Besides, I enjoy the spinoffs. Persona is what got me into SMT, and I think Devil Survivor, Digital Devil Saga, and the like are all great. Plus, the more characters, the better I say.

avlein
Jun 13, 2011
The question is, will the SMT protagonists talk?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Pooptimus Prime posted:

I'd vote Nocturne, it's an incredibly strong game and good primer for the difficulty curve/plotlines of the rest of the series.

If you like portable games, the first Devil Survivor and Strange Journey are both excellent as well.

Consensus seems to be Nocturne. Thanks thread!

Dec 26, 2012

avlein posted:

Wanna make an entire party out of mutes now.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

avlein posted:

They will utilize brooding ellipses to speak in Morse code.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

avlein posted:

The trailer showed them with interpreters, dude. C'mon.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

At the rate they're remaking SMT games they have to get around to making a 3DS/Vita Nocturne eventually right :ohdear:

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

At the rate they're remaking SMT games they have to get around to making a 3DS/Vita Nocturne eventually right :ohdear:

Yes, but only after their lifetime in the console cycle has been over for two years. :v:

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol

Meowjesty posted:

Yes, but only after their lifetime in the console cycle has been over for two years. :v:

Still waiting for P2EP in the US, so...

Sauska
Sep 12, 2012

KimT posted:

Man I'm kind of annoyed with Strange Journey. I'm on the Law path, I just reached the final boss and it keeps kicking my rear end. My demons seem way too weak and I can't afford to buy any really good password demons. It just kinda sucks putting like 40 hours into a game and hitting a road block right at the end. I might just start a new game and take the Chaos path to see what I missed.

I had the same thing happen in Devil Survivor too. I took the Naoya path on my first playthrough and had to do a ton of grinding right at the very end to beat the final boss. I like these games a lot but I guess I'm not cut out for the amount of grinding they seem to expect. I picked up Nocturne a while back but I haven't played it yet, I'm hoping it's not too bad in that regard.

if you really want to, just start buffing one or more lower level demons with a bunch of reflect skills, and any other open spot put a decent level character with str/null for a lot and megidolan (metatron or huang long for example). Honestly, though, I can't really see coinage being a big deal it doesn't take too long to grind money out, sell a bunch of your forma you don't need

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

vanov posted:

I think the PSX version is going to be the only one we get. Innocent Sin getting translated was something of a miracle itself.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

vanov posted:

It's not gonna happen. P2EP at this point is merely a pipe dream, much like FF Type-0.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol
Oh I know we're not getting it, it just upsets me greatly because I am OCD as hell and wanted the whole series on my portables. I own it on PSX so I'm able to play it (eventually), but yeah.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

It still utterly baffles me that Atlus USA apparently had the will to release yet another Sting SRPG and a Growlanser game but not the final piece of the Persona puzzle.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I'd love to play DDS on Vita or some other portable. Been wanting to replay that game for a while, but haven't felt like pulling out my PS2 to play it (since PS3s can't play PS2 games unless you have an older model).

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Policenaut posted:

It still utterly baffles me that Atlus USA apparently had the will to release yet another Sting SRPG and a Growlanser game but not the final piece of the Persona puzzle.

It's more annoying since they went ahead and brought over the Persona 1 PSP remake. C'mon Atlus, just give me the game that's actually fun.

I just want more Baofu.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It's more a solution for the PSP, but you can always convert the Persona 2:EP iso to the PSP format with :filez:.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Dehry posted:

It's more a solution for the PSP, but you can always convert the Persona 2:EP iso to the PSP format with :filez:.

Unless you've got a 3000 PSP like some chumps. It's me. I'm the chump

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Unless you've got a 3000 PSP like some chumps. It's me. I'm the chump

Every PSP firmware out there has been hacked. The homebrew megathread has more details on how to do it. You don't even have to run custom firmware nowadays.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Dehry posted:

Every PSP firmware out there has been hacked. The homebrew megathread has more details on how to do it. You don't even have to run custom firmware nowadays.

The 3000 is dicks about PoPSloader PRXes, though (the different versions of the PSP's PS1 emulator, because different ones handle different games better or worse (or unplayable)), and I think Eternal Punishment depends on one of the ones it can't use.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
The PS1 version wouldn't be the same, i think the reason people want the remake is because, you know, it's the remake.

I honestly have no idea why Atlus isn't localizing it. It just makes me a little angry?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Dorroile posted:

I honestly have no idea why Atlus isn't localizing it. It just makes me a little angry?

They're too busy throwing money out the window publishing those bad Game of Thrones titles to throw money away on EP.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Dorroile posted:

The PS1 version wouldn't be the same, i think the reason people want the remake is because, you know, it's the remake.

Because IS was critically panned and sold like poo poo, and that's a pretty good indication of how EP would be received.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
But it's not like they have anything better to do!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Yeah man, I'm sure they're all just sitting around in Nich Maragos' hottub right now, not actually working on anything. The tub's filled with Personadollars.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
They're probably just planning P4 remakes for, i dunno, the Virtual Boy.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Gotta do something instead of making Persona 5. Maybe next year they'll get started on it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Personally, I'm eagerly waiting Persona 4-2. Hey, if Square can make direct sequels to bad RPGs, why can't Atlus make direct sequels of good ones?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Cleretic posted:

Personally, I'm eagerly waiting Persona 4-2. Hey, if Square can make direct sequels to bad RPGs, why can't Atlus make direct sequels of good ones?

Did you miss Persona 4 Arena, because that was an actual thing that actually happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

TurnipFritter posted:

Did you miss Persona 4 Arena, because that was an actual thing that actually happened.

True enough but I think he means non-fighting-game.