Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I made dumplings last night and they were all wrinkly when I steamed them :( is there a trick to prevent that? Did I over-steam them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

I bought some chard today at the grocery store just for the hell of it. Anybody know a good chard recipe? I'd prefer to cook it somehow because I don't really like salads.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Ron Don Volante posted:

I bought some chard today at the grocery store just for the hell of it. Anybody know a good chard recipe? I'd prefer to cook it somehow because I don't really like salads.

Take the stems, and chop them finely. Then, take the leaves and chop them roughly. This way, the leaves and stems will cook at more or less the same time. In a pan, heat some canola oil. Add a sprinkle of fennel or cumin seeds (or both if you have both). Cook until the whole place smells amazing. Add in one sliced onion, 3 cloves of sliced garlic, and a few pinches of red pepper flakes. Sautee the onions and garlic until they're just softened. Then, when the garlic and onion are softened, add the chard. Add a splash of white wine or vermouth or some other boozy booze. Let the whole mess cook for about two or three minutes. Finish with a bit of chopped parsley or oregano. Serve. Excellent. You'll find that the fennel and chard go together in a lovely way.

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

I didn't have any fennel so I made a few substitutions but it turned out delicious. Thanks for the recipe!

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I want to make a decently-authentic mole. (Er, the sauce.) I know that making mole from scratch is a buttload of work, but other than that, I don't know what makes a proper mole. Anyone have a good recipe at hand? I googled it, but I don't know who to trust.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Scott Bakula posted:

Can anyone recommend a good lamb kofte kebab recipe and side dish? Or just some use of lamb mince that doesn't involve a tomato sauce. My access to fresh veg is fairly limited due to snow which is annoying

Got cumin? Got garlic? Start from there.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

bringmyfishback posted:

I want to make a decently-authentic mole. (Er, the sauce.) I know that making mole from scratch is a buttload of work, but other than that, I don't know what makes a proper mole. Anyone have a good recipe at hand? I googled it, but I don't know who to trust.

Warning! "Proper" mole means lots of ingredients, and lots of steps.

This is the recipe I made for my ICSA Battle Effort entry. I think it came from Epicurious.
The most traditional way to serve this is with turkey, but pork or chicken work well, too.
Serve with beans and rice or unfilled tamales. When served in a pile, sprinkle with sesame seeds.

Ingredients

Chiles

* 1 cup lard or canola oil
* 8 dried mulato chiles, stemmed, seeds and membranes removed
* 6 dried pasilla chiles, stemmed, seeds and membranes removed
* 5 dried ancho chile, stemmed, seeds and membranes removed

Nuts and seeds

* 1 tablespoon canola oil
* 1/2 cup whole almonds
* 1/4 cup pecans
* 1 tablespoon unsalted roasted peanuts
* 1/4 cup shelled pepitas
* 3 tablespoons sesame seeds

Fruits

* 1/4 cup canola oil
* 1 large ripe dark-skinned plantain, peeled, thickly sliced
* 1 pound tomatillos, husked, rinsed, coarsely chopped
* 1 pound plum tomatoes, coarsely chopped
* 2/3 cup raisins

Flavorings

* 1 large white onion, peeled, cut into 8 wedges
* 12 large garlic cloves, unpeeled
* 5 whole cloves
* 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
* 5 whole allspice berries
* 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
* 1/2 teaspoon aniseed
* 1 1-inch piece canela* or cinnamon stick
* 1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
* 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
* 1 teaspoon fine sea salt

Thickeners

* 3 tablespoons canola oil
* 1 3x2x1-inch bread slice from firm French roll
* 3 5- to 6-inch-diameter corn tortillas, coarsely chopped
* 6 ounces Mexican chocolate, chopped
* 1/2 cup chopped piloncillo** or (packed) dark brown sugar
* 2 cups (about) low-salt chicken broth (if necessary)

*Mexican cinnamon sticks with a delicate, floral flavor.

**Mexican raw sugar shaped into hard cones. Smaller chunks are sometimes labeled panocha. If neither is available, substitute an equal weight of packed dark brown sugar.

Preparation

For chiles:
Heat 1/2 cup lard in large skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches, fry all chiles until beginning to blister and change color, about 15 seconds per side (do not burn). Using tongs and shaking off excess lard, transfer chiles to another large pot. Add 4 cups reserved turkey broth; bring to boil. Reduce heat; simmer uncovered until chiles are very soft, about 35 minutes. Strain liquid into 4-cup measuring cup; add enough reserved turkey broth to measure 4 cups. Chop chiles. Working in batches, puree chiles and 4 cups chile broth in blender until smooth.

Heat remaining 1/2 cup lard in same pot over medium heat until almost smoking. Press chile puree through large mesh strainer into pot (mixture will sputter and bubble vigorously). Stir until puree thickens enough to form path on bottom of pot when wooden spoon is drawn across, about 15 minutes. Remove chile puree from heat.

For nuts and seeds:
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add almonds and stir until color deepens, about 1 minute. Add pecans and peanuts; stir 1 minute. Add pepitas; stir 30 seconds. Transfer to blender. Add sesame seeds to skillet; stir 1 minute. Transfer 2 tablespoons sesame seeds to small bowl and reserve for garnish. Place remaining 1 tablespoon sesame seeds in blender with nuts. Add 1/2 cup reserved turkey broth and blend until thick puree forms. Add nut-and-seed puree to pot with chile puree. Cook over very low heat, stirring often, while preparing fruits.

For fruits:
Heat 1/4 cup oil in same skillet over high heat. Add plantain and sauté until golden, about 3 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels. Add tomatillos and tomatoes to skillet; sauté until slightly softened, mashing with fork. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer until thickened, stirring often, about 25 minutes. Add raisins and plantain; simmer 10 minutes, stirring often. Cool slightly.

Working in batches, puree tomatillo mixture in blender with 2 cups reserved turkey broth. Strain mixture through sieve into chile-nut puree, pressing on solids to extract as much mixture as possible; discard solids in sieve. Continue cooking puree over very low heat while preparing flavorings, stirring often.

For flavorings:
Cook onion and garlic cloves in dry heavy medium skillet over medium heat until beginning to brown and soften, turning often, about 15 minutes. Cool slightly. Coarsely chop onion; peel garlic. Place in blender.

Stir cloves in same skillet over medium-high heat until fragrant, about 20 seconds. Transfer cloves to spice mill or coffee grinder; add peppercorns and next 7 ingredients. Grind finely. Add to blender. Add 1 cup reserved turkey broth; blend until smooth. Stir spice mixture into chile-nut puree. Simmer mole over very low heat 30 minutes to blend flavors while preparing thickeners, stirring often (mole will bubble thickly).

For thickeners:
Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons oil in medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add bread slice; fry until golden, about 1 1/2 minutes per side. Transfer to blender. Add 1 1/2 tablespoons oil and tortillas to skillet; sauté 2 minutes. Transfer to blender with bread. Add 2 cups reserved turkey broth; blend until smooth. Add to mole; simmer 10 minutes.

Add chocolate and piloncillo to mole; simmer over low heat 20 minutes, stirring often, scraping bottom of pot and adding more turkey broth (or chicken broth if necessary) by 1/2 cupfuls if mole is too thick (up to 2 cups more broth may be needed). Season with salt. Continue simmering over low heat until streaks of oil form on mole surface, about 10 minutes longer. (Can be made 3 days ahead. Cool slightly. Chill uncovered until cold, then cover and keep refrigerated. Rewarm over low heat, stirring and adding more broth if desired, before continuing.)

Edit: oops typo.

Squashy Nipples fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jan 25, 2013

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

This look AMAZING. One question, though- could I just use raisins instead of raisin flavoring?

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
That reminds me of a mole recipe I found online the other day:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/mexican-mole-sauce/ posted:

2 teaspoons vegetable oil

1/4 cup finely chopped onion

1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder

1 teaspoon ground cumin

1 teaspoon dried cilantro

1/8 tablespoon dried minced garlic

1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed tomato soup

I can't decide if I find this more hilarious or sad.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

EVG posted:

I'm voting 'sad'.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Shnooks posted:

I made dumplings last night and they were all wrinkly when I steamed them :( is there a trick to prevent that? Did I over-steam them?

You mean like chinese dumplings? Aren't they supposed to end up wrinkly? While on he subject, I actually picked up a bunch of stuff for dumplings on a whim while at the farmer's market, so does anybody have good tips for a beginner recipe? I've never made dumplings or anything like them before, but they seem fairly simple. My plan is to make a bunch and freeze them, then boil/steam them as necessary.

For reference, I picked up: baby bok choy, ginger root, baby vidalia (which I plan to use as a green onion substitute, since it's local and should be similar enough), and a can of bamboo shoot tips. I have some leftover ground sirloin that I plan to use as the meat, even if it isn't pork like it probably should be (I try to avoid eating pork when I can resist it).

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

bringmyfishback posted:

This look AMAZING. One question, though- could I just use raisins instead of raisin flavoring?

That was a typo, the two sections ran together. 2/3 cups raisins, and then a list of 'flavorings'.

You can sub for some of the nuts/seeds, and the brown sugar, but most of t he ingredients are worth tracking down, especially the peppers.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

EVG posted:

You forgot the part where it says, "Mix together and pour over a microwaved Hungry-Man XXL dinner. Serve with a disposable spoon."

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Zenzirouj posted:

You mean like chinese dumplings? Aren't they supposed to end up wrinkly? While on he subject, I actually picked up a bunch of stuff for dumplings on a whim while at the farmer's market, so does anybody have good tips for a beginner recipe? I've never made dumplings or anything like them before, but they seem fairly simple. My plan is to make a bunch and freeze them, then boil/steam them as necessary.

For reference, I picked up: baby bok choy, ginger root, baby vidalia (which I plan to use as a green onion substitute, since it's local and should be similar enough), and a can of bamboo shoot tips. I have some leftover ground sirloin that I plan to use as the meat, even if it isn't pork like it probably should be (I try to avoid eating pork when I can resist it).

Kind of. I made Korean mandu

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Squashy Nipples posted:

That was a typo, the two sections ran together. 2/3 cups raisins, and then a list of 'flavorings'.

You can sub for some of the nuts/seeds, and the brown sugar, but most of t he ingredients are worth tracking down, especially the peppers.

Oh, cool. I actually did find something called "raisin flavoring." The peppers should be no problem, surprisingly. Thank you so much!

EVG posted:

I think that would definitely taste like mole- the animal.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Does anyone have a good system for collecting / storing recipes from various sources for viewing online. The total is to get all the various recipes I have readable on my nexus 7.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

vulturesrow posted:

Does anyone have a good system for collecting / storing recipes from various sources for viewing online. The total is to get all the various recipes I have readable on my nexus 7.

Evernote.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
Thinking of turning a brisket in my freezer into brisket chili. Advice on how to do so? I'm pretty sure the brisket is already cooked.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

dino. posted:

Evernote.

Yeah I love evernote and I was thinking that might be the way to go. I would like the recipes to be actual recipes though, not scans or photos of stuff from magazines and books. Is there some good way to get them in editable text format? I know Evernote premium can turn scan documents into PDFs but Im not sure.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Has anyone used the oven baking trick with bananas to make them ripen faster for banana bread? I was hoping to make a loaf of banana bread tomorrow but I don't think the bananas I bought will be ripe tomorrow. Or even in the next three days, even with the apple in the bag with them. I heard you can pop them in the oven for an hour or so but I was wondering what that would do to the taste.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
I've been away from SA for many years, so although I attempted to read this entire thread for duplication before posting, I just couldn't make it :( I have a couple random food questions.

1.) when I have really good fresh bread and I want to do an Italian olive oil plus herbs dip, what would you recommend for the types and amounts of herbs? I can never seem to make something as good as Carabas. When I worked there fifteen years ago, they guarded their spice recipe with their lives and let us Lowly servers dish it out in tiny pinches under pain of death. Are there diamonds in there or what?

2.) are there some people who just need more salt than others? I seem to love what my friends call a ridiculous amount of salt on everything. I'm not eating or cooking things with no flavor either. I like spices and hot stuff. I grow my own peppers and make my own flakes of all different varieties. Yet I still add more salt to almost everything then anyone else at e table.

3.) I like my steaks seared. I use the 500 degree oven cast iron pan method, sear on stove and then finish in the oven. It's delicious! But I think my oven fan sucks because my stupid roommate gets pissed every time I do it because the house fills with "smoke" and he insists that I'm burning everything, when I am not.

4.) how do I make good fries or chips from potatoes? I wanted to make crunchy potato slices with bacon and cheese, but I can never get the potatoes to cook! Is it just moisture?

5.) I have small hands even for a girl and I always use the smallest, sharpest blade possible for any task. It's clearly the most accurate and easy to use. Why does everyone else use huge knives for small things?

Ok I think that's all

-edit-
6.) after 6-7 years of growing my own peppers, and being a hot sauce lover, I'm convinced that any hot sauce preparation involving fresh peppers is inherently inferior to any concoction involving dried peppers turned into flakes or powder. Is there some awesome recipe i havent tried? After many many tries, nothing I've ever made with fresh peppers has been delicious. I like a very vinegary hot sauce FYI.

DoggPickle fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 26, 2013

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

DoggPickle posted:

I've been away from SA for many years, so although I attempted to read this entire thread for duplication before posting, I just couldn't make it :( I have a couple random food questions.

1.) when I have really good fresh bread and I want to do an Italian olive oil plus herbs dip, what would you recommend for the types and amounts of herbs? I can never seem to make something as good as Carabas. When I worked there fifteen years ago, they guarded their spice recipe with their lives and let us Lowly servers dish it out in tiny pinches under pain of death. Are there diamonds in there or what?

Never had it, but I always felt that herbs and other crap ruins a good olive oil like adding creamer to coffee. Get better olive oil.

2.) are there some people who just need more salt than others? I seem to love what my friends call a ridiculous amount of salt on everything. I'm not eating or cooking things with no flavor either. I like spices and hot stuff. I grow my own peppers and make my own flakes of all different varieties. Yet I still add more salt to almost everything then anyone else at e table.

Some people are sensitive, some people just don't know how food should taste.

3.) I like my steaks seared. I use the 500 degree oven cast iron pan method, sear on stove and then finish in the oven. It's delicious! But I think my oven fan sucks because my stupid roommate gets pissed every time I do it because the house fills with "smoke" and he insists that I'm burning everything, when I am not.

Where is the question here?

4.) how do I make good fries or chips from potatoes? I wanted to make crunchy potato slices with bacon and cheese, but I can never get the potatoes to cook! Is it just moisture?

Moisture and starch. You need to rinse off the excess starch from the cut potatoes until the water is clear and then dry thoroughly. A lot of people use the freezer to help remove excess moisture. Look up "Cook like heston: potatoes" on the youtubez

5.) I have small hands even for a girl and I always use the smallest, sharpest blade possible for any task. It's clearly the most accurate and easy to use. Why does everyone else use huge knives for small things?

There are a few answers to this depending on situation. For one, only needing one knife is awesome because then you can get a really fantastically awesome knife. With practice you can work a 270mm gyuto just as delicately and accurately as a 150 mm utility knife. I think that a paring (< 100 mm) is still a good thing to have, though. Huge knives also give you the benefit of more steel real estate. Smashing a garlic clove with a small knife is a good way to hurt yourself. Used to do it all the time with a small santoku I used to have. This one time, slipped off the clove fell out of my left hand, wedged itself in between my right ringfinger and pinky and I instinctively tried to catch it. Needed surgery to repair 2 tendons that were shaved right off the bone and I now have limited range of motion on that pinky. Would have been less likely to happen with a wider knife face, probably impossible to happen if I had used a board scraper or a chinese cleaver. Also usable edge. When you have a long knife, you can use a long and smooth slicing motion for whatever. This results in cleaner cuts, especially important for things like sashimi and sushi. You also get more of a "belly" to use when doing elliptical slicing/chopping motions.

6.) after 6-7 years of growing my own peppers, and being a hot sauce lover, I'm convinced that any hot sauce preparation involving fresh peppers is inherently inferior to any concoction involving dried peppers turned into flakes or powder. Is there some awesome recipe i havent tried? After many many tries, nothing I've ever made with fresh peppers has been delicious. I like a very vinegary hot sauce FYI.

kind of apples and oranges, but if you're after a vinegar type sauce then fresh isn't the way to go. Personally, I am probably the opposite of you, I think most vinegar/driedpepper sauces are completely trampled by vinegar and I greatly prefer the flavor of fresh chiles in sauces. Vinegar sauces also tend to be very bitter, I don't know why this is, probably the surface area of the chile powders and the acidity of the vinegar extracting tannin like things, who knows, I just don't generally care for it. Generally hot sauces follow a formula though: Chiles, allium, sour, herbs, salt. In the dried pepper world, that would probably be something like: Cayenne/arbol/japones, garlic/onion, vinegar, maybe some oregano or thyme. A sauce I would make for, say, tacos would be: Serrano/habanero/jalapeno, garlic/onion/scallion, roasted tomatillo/lime, cilantro. Perhaps something more south american to go with skirt steak: Jalapeno, garlic, red wine vinegar, parsley/oregano. Because of the water level inherent in a fresh chile sauce, you have to be pretty aggressive with the salt, in general.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jan 27, 2013

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
Still parsing all the good answers. I apologize for the steak question. I guess the implied request was "how do I do this with less smoke" or should I just get a new vent hood? Because really, my steaks are delicious.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Steaks are gonna smoke at that temp. You could get a better range hood or you could tell your roommate to deal with it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Has anyone used the oven baking trick with bananas to make them ripen faster for banana bread? I was hoping to make a loaf of banana bread tomorrow but I don't think the bananas I bought will be ripe tomorrow. Or even in the next three days, even with the apple in the bag with them. I heard you can pop them in the oven for an hour or so but I was wondering what that would do to the taste.

I dunno about this oven thing, but for future reference the bananas are the fruit that makes others ripen faster. Bananas release the hormone that makes fruit ripe... ethylene or something? So having the apple in there is just going to make the apple ripen, the apple isn't doing anything to the bananas.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Ethylene speeds ripening, and it's not just bananas that give it off. Apples and other fruit do too. So sticking fruit next to each other in a bag will speed up the ripening.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Apples and other fruit do too. So sticking fruit next to each other in a bag will speed up the ripening.

Really? I thought it was just bananas that give off lots of it and that's why you keep bananas separated from other fruit, unless you're trying to ripen something.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Keep fruits away from fruits if you don't want them to ripen. Or keep them in the open so the ethylene can disperse.

Aradekasta
May 20, 2007
The oven thing works great. The peels get completely black and the banana is even mushier than a naturally overripe one - not a texture I'd want to eat on its own - but it's perfect for nice moist banana bread. I like to bake a couple into mush and then add another just-slightly-overripe one, so you get some chunks of banana in the bread.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

DoggPickle posted:

Still parsing all the good answers. I apologize for the steak question. I guess the implied request was "how do I do this with less smoke" or should I just get a new vent hood? Because really, my steaks are delicious.

You could try the reverse sear (oven first on wire rack and then sear them on skillet at the end). Your pan will be at smoke-making temperature for a shorter time

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-to-cook-the-perfect-steak/#axzz2JA0JI7rq

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/searing_steaks.html

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Smoke happens sometimes, and no house ive ever lived/cooked in, including catering in multimillion dollar homes, has had enough suction to prevent smoke when searing multiple big steaks

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

Steve Yun posted:

You could try the reverse sear (oven first on wire rack and then sear them on skillet at the end). Your pan will be at smoke-making temperature for a shorter time

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-to-cook-the-perfect-steak/#axzz2JA0JI7rq

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/searing_steaks.html

I'm gonna try the reverse sear tonight! The big downside seems to be the much longer cooking time, but I'm most worried about getting the time/temp correct since I cook myself pretty small steaks, usually 4-6 ounces. At least my roommate went to Atlantic City so I can experiment in peace. I'll post my results, if anyone wants to know. I have two dogs, so even mistakes aren't wasted!

latexenthusiast
Apr 22, 2008
I've been getting way into making cocktails lately, and I've found that some drinks require for swishing around a small amount of absinthe or whatever in a glass and tossing out the rest. Being the frugal guy that I am, I'd rather not waste those few precious drops of absinthe, so I was wondering if I could just use a spray bottle like something found here: http://www.specialtybottle.com/amberbostonroundglassbottlesmi.aspx. I've seen a couple of bars do this, but I imagine they go through the contents of their spray bottles on the order of weeks or months rather than years, so I wanted to know what the likelihood is that the plastic tube of the atomizer will impart an off flavor or leech BPA or something if I leave it in for years at a time. I was considering trying to get plain caps along with atomizers and use the former for long term storage.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

DoggPickle posted:

-edit-

I'm jealous that you grow your own!

There is something between fresh and dried, too... Have you tried fermented hot sauce? Sriacha and Tabasco are both fermented from fresh pepper mash.

Also, why not both? In my mind, dry is hotter, but the heat kind of builds, whereas fresh peppers have more of an immediate heat. The GF and I have been experimenting with making a Sriacha knock off that is much hotter then the original, and we've been using a combination of fresh peppers, blanched and juiced, fresh roasted peppers and dry Indian chili powder. It's a very thorough heat.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Squashy Nipples posted:

I'm jealous that you grow your own!

There is something between fresh and dried, too... Have you tried fermented hot sauce? Sriacha and Tabasco are both fermented from fresh pepper mash.

Also, why not both? In my mind, dry is hotter, but the heat kind of builds, whereas fresh peppers have more of an immediate heat. The GF and I have been experimenting with making a Sriacha knock off that is much hotter then the original, and we've been using a combination of fresh peppers, blanched and juiced, fresh roasted peppers and dry Indian chili powder. It's a very thorough heat.

Please tell me more about this! What kind of peppers do you use? I am planning on growing peppers this year to try and make my own hot sauce.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Keep fruits away from fruits if you don't want them to ripen. Or keep them in the open so the ethylene can disperse.

I have single bananas scattered throughout my apartment to slow them down. It looks ridiculous, but I love bananas when they have green tips. I absolutely hate when they pass that stage because it tastes too strong and the texture is off putting. There is a 1 or 2 day window where they're great. Any way to slow them down even more?

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.
Why does making soup (especially soup with meat or bones) form a bunch of scum on top? What is it?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Lipoproteins. Theyre harmless and you don't have to skim them off, but it looks nicer if you do

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jan 27, 2013

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.

Steve Yun posted:

Lipoproteins. Theyre harmless and you don't have to skim them off, but it looks nicer if you do
Aah. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

vulturesrow posted:

I am logged into Chrome on all my devices, so bookmarks sync pretty much instantly. I bookmark a recipe on my desktop, unlock my 7 and walk to the kitchen and its right there.