Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
This image hasn't been posted in this thread yet:

http://imgur.com/zYccZs5

There's so much stuff to make fun of here, but this guy's fondness for the mod that puts anime girls in Sengoku is worth noting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Patter Song posted:

There's so much stuff to make fun of here, but this guy's fondness for the mod that puts anime girls in Sengoku is worth noting.

That guy really doesn't like CK2+.

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Patter Song posted:

Well seeing how it's from /gsg/ I'm not surprised.

edit: I don't think he likes CK2 in general.

PBJ fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jan 25, 2013

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Yeah I pretty much agreed with everything there except for CK2+ and the lack of EU3+

In other news, I'm playing through EU3+ as Ming and it is fun as hell. My blobbing is noticeably slowed, I have to work a little for my CBs, and it just feels good.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Patter Song posted:

It's actually a pretty neat table. Well, the idea of it at least. Paradox makes so many of these strategy games that it can only be useful to have a convenient way to compare them. Plus every mod overloads you with a feature list that it's pretty insane to try and compare even the popular ones.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Any suggestions for EUIII maps with no PTI? Ideally it would be something that added nothing except new provinces. I thought it would be fun to try something a little different. I'd love to play on the Victoria 2 map, I don't suppose anyone has tried stripping out as much of the crazy as possible from Steppe wolfe and left just the V2 map?

Right now I'm thinking of giving the 'States' mod a go, as it gets rid of all the PTI with a minimum of bullshit, and lets you play in a vanilla world without adding all 50 states as countries. If you boot the 50 states scenario though, this gem pops up, which made me chortle.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Raenir Salazar posted:

:aaa: Where'd you get that map from?

Google 'goguryeo'. Any number of Korean ultranationalist webpages will provide you with similar examples. I used to have a really awesome one of Baekje stretching halfway to Poland but it appears I deleted it.

meadowlark
May 25, 2012

Cowcatcher posted:

Please base pig flag on this:

Old post and off-topic.. but what is this from?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Yeah, that was kind of my point. This line of reasoning makes for really unfun gameplay. Your stratagems and tactics should not be completely thwarted by random rolls of the dice. On land, the failures of your campaigns are influenced by the dice but ultimately you are the final decider for whether or not your strategies work or fail. You can plan for a failed battle or two. On the water, having the enemy just stroll past your fleet on a stroke of luck and completely siege your home land is just kind of frustrating bullshit. If armies couldn't disembark while their transports were in combat, you would be able to have a backup navy to stop landings, but that isn't possible. This little bit of realism for the sake of realism really hampers the gameplay, and is completely inconsistent with the entire rest of the game, which always sacrifices realism for better gameplay (such as being unable to stop disembarking troops).

I disagree. It's risk/reward. You chance having your navy forward deployed, if it pays off you can destroy the enemy fleet where they are unable to land their troops. Or you keep your fleet back and get a guaranteed interception, but they probably get to land their troops. If you're so outnumbered that one landing force can destroy your entire home army and take your homeland, it was a risky war to get into and sometimes those don't pay off.

Found the patchnotes:

quote:

- Fleets not on patrol order will not attempt to intercept enemy fleets when moving and/or carrying troops.
- Intercepting enemy fleets that want to avoid it depends on manuever of leaders and light-ship ratio.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Jan 25, 2013

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
For that mechanic to make sense it would have to be modeled correctly, this means you'd need to accurately display every single sea province. Finding the other fleet in the South Atlantic Current is obviously more difficult than at the Bosporus or around the Danish Isles or at the strait of Gibraltar (only Das Boot style actions should get you trough there!).

I guess I'll just have to expand my fleets and split them up in several hunter squads. Maybe the medium ships will shine in that role.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Tahirovic posted:

For that mechanic to make sense it would have to be modeled correctly, this means you'd need to accurately display every single sea province. Finding the other fleet in the South Atlantic Current is obviously more difficult than at the Bosporus or around the Danish Isles or at the strait of Gibraltar (only Das Boot style actions should get you trough there!).
The easiest solution would probably be to just make it impossible for fleets to sneak by in sea zones that are adjacent to a land province. Seems like a pretty good compromise between gameplay and realism to me at least.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

It's not one guy's opinion, it's pretty much the collected opinion of the threads. I think the CK2+ part was put in when Wiz wasn't updating much and Prince and the Thane/Balansegang were doing really interesting stuff.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
The image is clearly a few months old because it still talks about AzeriMod and it not being compatible with 5.2

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

pointlesspart posted:

Is Croatian culture supposed to be localized as noculture in Sjrbyzantium? The Philippines have their cores set incorrectly, they are in the province history as PHL but the country history has them as PHI so they show up as a rebel flag with no name.

Nope, noculture is what happened when my HD died halfway through adjusting Srbjan POPs, thanks for catching those two.

AnoMouse
Feb 13, 2012
We got a new Dev Diary! It's all about our favorite colonizer Spain England Portugal!

It also includes how colonizing works: rather than sending a flood of colonists, you send the colonist envoy somewhere to establish a colony (establishment always succeeds), and he provides the familiar %chance to increase the pop while he's there, growth being slow without him. This envoy system is seriously gonna rock.

Something else also mentioned, military leaders have maintenance; one Military Power per month, each. Hope you have a high Mil ruler!

AnoMouse fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jan 25, 2013

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

AnoMouse posted:

We got a new Dev Diary! It's all about our favorite colonizer Spain England Portugal!

It also includes how colonizing works: rather than sending a flood of colonists, you send the colonist envoy somewhere to establish a colony (establishment always succeeds), and he provides the familiar %chance to increase the pop while he's there, growth being slow without him. This envoy system is seriously gonna rock.

Something else also mentioned, military leaders take one military power point each, per month in maintenance. Which means I hope you have a high Mil ruler!

Honestly, reinstalling EU3 with Chronicles and playing about with it for a bit just reminded me how empty the game feels. There isn't really anything to do except spread your colour over the map. Everything you do between wars is really just twiddling your thumbs and building an army for the next war. The contrast with CK2 where there's always something interesting going on is vast.

I'm liking the comeback of dynamic narrative forming in EU.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Alchenar posted:

Honestly, reinstalling EU3 with Chronicles and playing about with it for a bit just reminded me how empty the game feels. There isn't really anything to do except spread your colour over the map. Everything you do between wars is really just twiddling your thumbs and building an army for the next war. The contrast with CK2 where there's always something interesting going on is vast.

I'm liking the comeback of dynamic narrative forming in EU.

Going to EUIII after only ever playing CK2 was weird for exactly this reason. Castille was only interesting when I was fighting wars, and I built up so much infamy that all I did for a while was sit around fighting inflation while I waited for it to go down. Venice was just a confusing mess, since I didn't even have that, and my only strength was my (automated) merchants. I lost interest pretty much the instant the Republic DLC came out for CK2.

If EUIV ends up being less deterministic than it looks (or there's a Level Playing Field mod), it will be exactly what I was expecting out of its predecessor. A functioning CK save converter would help a lot, too.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

In fairness there was a massive shitstorm when Paradox dropped historical deterministic events for EU3 and in the end everyone (well, everyone who wasn't exiled from the thread) agreed it was an improvement. I wouldn't consider it a criticism at all to note that it's just taken Paradox some time to get to grips with getting dynamic events down.

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

Eye contact counters everything
My dream has come true! Paradox hinting to something in the works for Victoria 2 again. Please pretty please by a big expansion!

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151655543149816.610612.284210044815&type=1&l=5fd335e15d

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?660800-Secret-Document-Clue-one.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Pooned posted:

My dream has come true! Paradox hinting to something in the works for Victoria 2 again. Please pretty please by a big expansion!

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151655543149816.610612.284210044815&type=1&l=5fd335e15d

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?660800-Secret-Document-Clue-one.

Texture packs ;D

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

AnoMouse posted:

Something else also mentioned, military leaders have maintenance; one Military Power per month, each. Hope you have a high Mil ruler!

No trading posts? :smith:

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

Eye contact counters everything

Alchenar posted:

Texture packs ;D

Don't even joke about that!

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Beamed posted:

No trading posts? :smith:
Yeah, the colonization system seems pretty uninspired, compared to the overhaul in for example trade. Trading posts/forts doesn't seem like a particularly taxing thing to add, just have to have a level of provincial control where it gets painted your color, and the trade goods from it flow to your proper provinces (or directly to the trade network, if on the coast), but you don't get to build anything and the province is easy to conquer and cheap to keep. Like this basically:

Where all the light blue would stuff would be provinces that only have traders, trappers and soldiers, whereas the blue would be proper colonized provinces. A cheaper kind of colonization, and much less of hassle in regards to natives, but also very vulnerable to a rival just coming in and gobbling it all up. Perhaps by making it possible to just grab the provinces like unfinished colonies in EU3, and perhaps also tying the hinterland to proper provinces. In the case above, conquering the lone colonized province of "Sault Sainte Marie" would take with it all those western provinces that are tied to it. Would make for both cleaner colonial borders and more realistic conquests in the colonies. And then of course there's Africa, which definitely deserves an overhaul compared to EU3. I would probably make 2 levels of colonizable provinces; those that can be settler provinces and those that can only support trading posts. That would open up more land to be painted without representing heavy colonization, and the capabilities of the colonizers could be reigned in in areas such as sub-Saharan Africa.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jan 25, 2013

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

We shall forge the most progressive republic ever known to man!

Alchenar posted:

In fairness there was a massive shitstorm when Paradox dropped historical deterministic events for EU3 and in the end everyone (well, everyone who wasn't exiled from the thread) agreed it was an improvement. I wouldn't consider it a criticism at all to note that it's just taken Paradox some time to get to grips with getting dynamic events down.

I wasn't exiled and I always stuck to my belief that events were great, and that the problem was rather how restrictive and deterministic the triggers could be. :colbert:
I'm looking forwards to these dynamic events because they seem to be a evolutionary step forward for events.

SlippyToe
May 17, 2009
catching up on the thread here made me realize I have a eu3 key to give away since I already bought everything on steam. PM me if anyone still needs it.

edit: gone

SlippyToe fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jan 26, 2013

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

How do you play KaiserReich on Darkest Hour? Also, the Steam version seems to patch to version 1.02 and then stop - should I get one of the beta patches?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

ChaosSamusX posted:

How do you play KaiserReich on Darkest Hour? Also, the Steam version seems to patch to version 1.02 and then stop - should I get one of the beta patches?

Yeah, you should. Steam won't update to beta patches.

Latest Kaiserreich is here.

[edit]And do remember you need to download both RC1 and RC2 beta patches in order. It can be kind of confusing when they insist on calling it "Unified" when you still need both parts.

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jan 26, 2013

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
What do people think is the best scenario to get into the meat of Darkest Hour to learn the vagaries of the tech tree, and nuances of combat without spending hours building infrastructure/factories? Or important things like concentration/infrastructure bonuses to IC production, a la Arsenal? I don't want to run Germany '36 again. I guess steam has the manual, so I'll start there, but I'm sure tons of it has changed since that got put out.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Velius posted:

What do people think is the best scenario to get into the meat of Darkest Hour to learn the vagaries of the tech tree, and nuances of combat without spending hours building infrastructure/factories? Or important things like concentration/infrastructure bonuses to IC production, a la Arsenal? I don't want to run Germany '36 again. I guess steam has the manual, so I'll start there, but I'm sure tons of it has changed since that got put out.

I've found that playing Kaiserreich as Poland and sucking up to Germany isn't a bad way to go. With a little luck you get a few diploannex opportunities, then you can usually talk Germany into helping you out in the east (I ate Belarus and Western Ukraine without too much trouble). If you just want to fightfightfight, Kaiserreich is pretty good since most major countries are either already divided into antagonistic parts (Britain, France, India, China, Austria) or have Civil War chains that fire relatively early (Spain, Russia, the US). I've found that Austria can be fun (you can pretty easily control Austria-Hungary's 1914 borders and puppet Italy and the Balkans before the Second Weltkrieg and pretty much have your choice of factional alignments, but you start as a rump state).

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...76b9dbd5ead03b7

So the colonization horde system is making a comeback in EUIV. :suicide:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Hopefully having to focus your growth means it'll happen slower...

donzwei
Jun 20, 2012

Pooned posted:

Seriously, if it's true, it would be the best news from paradox in a while :hfive:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

ThePutty posted:

Snake Bohemia will never die!

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

ThePutty posted:

I'll be keeping an eye out for any news of one Martin Anward going on a stabbing spree in the Stockholm newspapers.

Seriously, though, that mechanic never made basic sense to me. How is conquering Mongol territory even remotely like exploring the New World? :psyduck:

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ThePutty posted:

I always liked China going over the Ural mountains.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

NihilCredo posted:

I'll be keeping an eye out for any news of one Martin Anward going on a stabbing spree in the Stockholm newspapers.

Seriously, though, that mechanic never made basic sense to me. How is conquering Mongol territory even remotely like exploring the New World? :psyduck:

I enjoy the idea of internal colonization, which is a Thing that actually happened..
...but not like this, man. Not like this. :smith:

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Beamed posted:

I enjoy the idea of internal colonization, which is a Thing that actually happened..
...but not like this, man. Not like this. :smith:
Yeah, I see nothing wrong with getting a bonus colonist from "you border/own basically uninhabited provinces". But that goes for the colonisation of Siberia or Norrland or North America, not the goddamn Tatar Yoke! Muscovy didn't become a major power by sending explorers and builders at its neighbours, ffs.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
The basic idea that "conquering steppe lands is very different from conquering 'civilized' lands" seems reasonable to me. It's just... everything after that. :(

Patter Song posted:

To be fair, that Sengoku mod did look like it was pretty good on the whole - the 'kawaii portraits' component was (a) optional and (b) seemed to be a joke. (Haven't tried it myself.)

On the other hand, the guide also recommends Sengoku "Rape Simulator" Rance, so gently caress it and whoever posted it.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

ThePutty posted:

Yeah echoing what others have said; that mechanic made no sense in EUIII and it has not gotten better with age. I admit it'd be kinda hard to model how the hordes were conquered in real life, but colonization makes about as much sense as having the only way to take them over offering them vassalization and then demanding annexation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

PleasingFungus posted:

Sengoku "Rape Simulator" Rance

I'm sorry, what?!

• Locked thread