Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

Hobbes24 posted:

Wasn't the only mass market video game for WoT a 1st person shooter? Not lovely though, I think it scored some pretty high praise.

I liked it quite a bit. The multiplayer had a following too. The main character was a super weak Aes Sedai so you'd have to pick up different ter'angreal as weapons. As far as FPS go it had some pretty unique mechanics, lots of the ter'angreal were traps and teleports and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Chomposaur posted:

I liked it quite a bit. The multiplayer had a following too. The main character was a super weak Aes Sedai so you'd have to pick up different ter'angreal as weapons. As far as FPS go it had some pretty unique mechanics, lots of the ter'angreal were traps and teleports and stuff.

They could have made the character a novice sent out of the Tower like Egwene and Elayne were, have you learn new weaves as you went along and used energy limits on channelling in place of ammo. But no, they made a Wheel of Time mod for Doom instead and used a stupid non-canon story.

That said, the graphics were good for the time and the bit where you travel through the Ways is loving awesome.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Hobbes24 posted:

I also agree about the slicing Trollocs in half with gateways, it seems like such an obvious use of the revised gateway rules, especially since we know horizontal gateways can be created.

Isn't this basically what deathgates were described as, earlier in the series? Roving doorways into nothingness that cut through everything it touched, I thought. Well, the wiki says this:

quote:

Deathgates are a weave of the One Power using Spirit, Earth, and Fire that opens and closes gateways very rapidly, sending them speeding along the ground. Any Shadowspawn that pass through these Deathgates die because the Death Gates are constructs of the One Power, and Shadowspawn cannot survive such a trip. The destination shifts every time a Deathgate opens, and the destinations themselves are random, preventing too many Shadowspawn corpses from accumulating in a single area. Like with a typical gateway, a Deathgate's size is determined by the amount of Power the user can hold.
I always felt that the cutting was implied, since gateways had always been described as slicing through ropes and trees and things. And, for the average channeler, a gateway might not be that big, especially in a prolonged battle. Most channelers can't make gateways big enough for wagons, and trollocs are always described as being hulking beasts. So your deathgate zipping around the battlefield may not be swallowing trolloc squads whole, it'll swallow a couple, take another's arm, half of that one's torso, and so on as it passed through them. They die when the gate touches them anyway, but a gateway has never been mentioned to have an effect where it pulls the entire object through, rather it cuts through that object.

quote:

Gateways inside the body seem to be a stretch. A person could probably make one inside his/her own body, but no one else could, since they wouldn't know anyone else's body that well.

I don't know if it matters quite that much. A number of Black Ajah sisters are shown to know a 'little trick of the power, so similar to healing' that stops a man's heart dead. As far as I can remember they are able to do it without physical contact. A gateway to nick a vein might be a little small, but heart sized? That should be doable, its a fairly big target.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Lonely Swedish posted:

Also, I know everyone says Egwene was the saddest part but I pretty much lost it at the epilogue scene where Tam lights the funeral pyre :smith:. And yeah it's poor form to second-guess an author on his own vision, but I really feel like the ending would have been more powerful if that had been it rather than a random "btw, Cadsuane knows and also she'll be the Amyrlin now" and Rand riding off into the sunset with magic powers and neck-deep in girls. (yeah I know Jordan wrote the epilogue and it had to be published that way)

I feel the same way, but the Western World only likes a book if it has a happy ending, so authors are scared to write things that might not make everyone feel warm and fuzzy inside.

Also, it leaves open the possibility of future stories on that character. While an author can swear up and down that they don't intend to revisit that world, it happens more often than not.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

I really wonder what the series would have been like if Gateways and Traveling never made it in. The first several books didn't have it, and limited large trips to The Ways and Portal Stones. Then traveling returns, but it's pretty limited because few people know it, and there are restrictions on it. By the end, everyone knows it, there are ways around the restrictions, and apparently most channelers are powerful enough to make one of big enough size.

Not saying they were bad, but the story really would have been quite different.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

kazil posted:

I really wonder what the series would have been like if Gateways and Traveling never made it in. The first several books didn't have it, and limited large trips to The Ways and Portal Stones. Then traveling returns, but it's pretty limited because few people know it, and there are restrictions on it. By the end, everyone knows it, there are ways around the restrictions, and apparently most channelers are powerful enough to make one of big enough size.

Not saying they were bad, but the story really would have been quite different.

We'd have about 10 more books just for people walking to places.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Jedit posted:

They could have made the character a novice sent out of the Tower like Egwene and Elayne were, have you learn new weaves as you went along and used energy limits on channelling in place of ammo. But no, they made a Wheel of Time mod for Doom instead and used a stupid non-canon story.

That said, the graphics were good for the time and the bit where you travel through the Ways is loving awesome.

I never played it, so perhaps I was hasty in calling it a "lovely FPS", but come on - if you are at all familiar with The Wheel of Time, an FPS is the LAST thing you should be considering when adapting it to a video game. I would LOVE a WoT RPG. Apparently a company called Red Eagle was developing one a couple years ago, but it appears to be nothing more than vaporware.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I wouldn't say the WoT game was your usual FPS. They did some interesting things with the different ter'angreal you could get, and to some degree you had to learn how to juggle them all and use them in the right circumstances. Like fighting the Black Ajah, you needed to juggle your shield ter'angreal, choose the right offensive ones, and be quick with some of the other defensive ones in case they used certain "weaves". Most of the settings were pretty decent as well.

I just got stuck on one of the levels where you had to defend some captive Warders and Aes Sedai from Trollocs and Black Ajah and could never last long enough and then lost interest. I think in the end you have to fight Ishamael. Also, Balefire was included but it didn't do anything like what it was supposed to, and all of the Aes Sedai had giant chests and showed them off a lot

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
The biggest problem with a WoT game is that it's poorly suited to fighting and dungeon crawling. There's really only one primary enemy type (trollocs), and I think it would be hard to do the One Power without it devolving into D&D magic. Honestly, I think it would work best as a Planescape: Torment, text-heavy character/story driven RPG. Apparently Obsidian was working(?) on a WoT RPG at one point, or was at some point in negotiations, but nothing has been heard about it in years, so I'm assuming it went under.

VelveetaAvenger
Nov 3, 2011

Boom!

Fintilgin posted:

The biggest problem with a WoT game is that it's poorly suited to fighting and dungeon crawling. There's really only one primary enemy type (trollocs), and I think it would be hard to do the One Power without it devolving into D&D magic.

There's a ton of different human factions, Seanchan monsters, and Blight creatures to use. I think a pretty fun action game could be made.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Trollocs
Fades
Draghkar
Darkhounds
Darkfriends
Black Ajah
Forsaken
Gholam
Gray Men
Worms
Padan Fain
Black Wind
Grolm
Raken
To'raken
Lopar
Torm
Corlm
Seanchan soldiers
Damane
Whitecloaks

I can think of plenty of enemies to fight in an RPG. As far as the One Power, it basically IS Dungeons & Dragons magic by a different name. Hell, I'd be happy if there was a WoT RPG that was basically a reskin of Baldur's Gate with a WoT storyline and characters.

A man can dream...

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Quite a bit of room to work with though. Personally I'd avoid messing the the Power, because our information is largely incomplete, and most channelers we know of are extremely high on the power charts, so doing much of anything with it can and will run into a lot of complications.

Instead:
-Action RPG with a blademaster/aiel/<insert badass warrior here> type.
-Strategy, take command of the Last Battle!

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

You could do a mix of Dynasty Warriors and Star Wars: Battlefield - WoT Edition. You start out as a common soldier and slowly get more powerful. If you do badass things in battle you switch to the perspective of a main character who may or may not be a channeler (Mat/Lan/Perrin/etc.) One Power use would just be different button combos to scale the damage done.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
But we'd probably get a wonder book title about the secret Sitters with a Move wand for casting weaves.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

veekie posted:

Quite a bit of room to work with though. Personally I'd avoid messing the the Power, because our information is largely incomplete, and most channelers we know of are extremely high on the power charts, so doing much of anything with it can and will run into a lot of complications.

Instead:
-Action RPG with a blademaster/aiel/<insert badass warrior here> type.
-Strategy, take command of the Last Battle!

It can be plenty of fun just facing a very limited sets of enemies, for example taking your idea:
Basically this but with Trollocs and swords :haw:

Survive in the Blight! Beat the time record! ->Share with your Friends on the Social Network!

"All I start with is 50 supply clerks, a boy with a knife and a lousy horn, how the hell am I supposed to win this?"

For variety: Use the different Trolloc types and clans to mix it up.

Or how about a Frantic QTE Blademaster simulator, using this game engine?

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 24, 2013

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
TOR's own write-up of the twitter Q&A: http://www.tor.com/blogs/2013/01/brandon-sandersons-wheel-of-time-answers-from-torchat

Terez has a full list of questions and responses from the twitter chat: http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=874#22

Additional items not on my list from yesterday, of various significance:

1. River of Souls is about Demandred: Bao, the Wyld.
2. Various prophecies/dreams/viewings RJ apparently specified in notes that fulfillings did not necessarily have to be particularly significant or relevant (translation: don't get your panties in a knot over Carlinya/etc.)
3. Taim was recruited by Demandred, so it was certainly done after Demandred left the Bore i.e. after Taim's False Dragon days.
4. Broken Wolf Dark Prophecy from ToM was entirely fulfilled, don't get hung up on what and by who.
5. Rand's 3rd question WAS about how to kill the Dark One, so you needn't think this was something Brandon just made up for TGS<->AMOL.
6. Egwene her Flame of Tar Valon weave was witnessed.
7. Hawkwing and Fortuona's off-screen conversation: “It was interesting, I’ll tell you that much.” How did Fortuona react? "With great consternation." (I think this is probably why there seemed to have been an even stricter prohibition against collaring declared Aes Sedai in the epilogue than just during the LB)
8. Verin Brandon was shocked at the reveal.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jan 24, 2013

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

api call girl posted:

8. Verin Brandon was shocked at the reveal.

I was too. And it is, quite probably, my favorite single moment in the entire series.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

River of souls will apparently be as close as we'll get to a full arc/background story stuff on that particular PoV character, so that will be nice.

Now for a release date :allears:

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
Well it's good that even Sanderson thought that Fain's death was probably too rushed. Sounds like RJ had more planned for him but never got around to fleshing it out before his death.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

api call girl posted:

6. Shaidar Haran that husk gave birth to the void at Shayol Ghul. That was Shaidar Haran's purpose.

Wait, what? What does this mean? Shadar Haran was just a super special Fade, and somehow he gave himself up to make the void? That's not what I originally got out of that, but, um, okay.

I assumed he was a vessel for the Dark One, who then gave it up to become one with the void. Maybe not in a "the Dark One is Shadar Haran" kind of way, but in a possessed kind of way. At least, that's what I thought.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

thrawn527 posted:

Wait, what? What does this mean? Shadar Haran was just a super special Fade, and somehow he gave himself up to make the void? That's not what I originally got out of that, but, um, okay.

I assumed he was a vessel for the Dark One, who then gave it up to become one with the void. Maybe not in a "the Dark One is Shadar Haran" kind of way, but in a possessed kind of way. At least, that's what I thought.

He's a super special Fade because the Dark One is partially housed within him.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

thrawn527 posted:

I think he was basically a chrysalis/cocoon; he didn't nobly self-sacrifice, he just exploded and splattered Dark One all over reality in the processs.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

The Midniter posted:

I never played it, so perhaps I was hasty in calling it a "lovely FPS", but come on - if you are at all familiar with The Wheel of Time, an FPS is the LAST thing you should be considering when adapting it to a video game. I would LOVE a WoT RPG. Apparently a company called Red Eagle was developing one a couple years ago, but it appears to be nothing more than vaporware.

They ran a Kickstarter for it a few months ago that was a barely veiled attempt to show fake progress so the license won't revert to Harriet. They're some of the vilest people on earth.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.
An FPS would be fine. There's tons and tons of design room in the WoT world, enough for just about any sort of game you could think of. An FPS set to destroying Trollocs would be sweet. Or how about an RTS where you have to play out a bunch of battles and then the last battle (and you can play both sides!)? Hell, make a side-scroller where you are Mat and have to get out of tons of ridiculous situations.

Personally I would love an RPG where you are Rand and your decisions actually affect the world. Something like a trilogy, the first game ending at the end of TGH and the battle with Ba'alzamon. Just think - if this book had been finished around the time it actually started, you could've had a sweet text RPG! Which sort of exist(ed?) anyways, I know there are MUDs based in the WoT world.

The big issue here seems to be companies that just want the IP, and not do anything cool with it. They just want to be able to stick the name on it, even if it's only very very loosely related to anything actually in the books.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I'm not even sure what Red Eagle is aiming for, they sure as hell don't seem interested in actually producing and selling anything (they hosed up doing some comics once, I think?).

Red Eagle Plan:
1. Acquire WoT license
2. Fake work at stuff, hold on to license for dear life
3. ???
4. Mad cash!

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

I'm holding out for the dating sim. Hint: grind blacksmithing and yell at Faile to see the sa'sara cutscene.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I'm not a huge fan of the genre, but I think Wheel of Time would honestly be perfect for an MMORPG. There's tons of factions, character classes, large events, opportunities for teaming up...it's kind of uniquely suited for it. I'd even consider playing an MMO in order to play it.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

thrawn527 posted:

I'm not a huge fan of the genre, but I think Wheel of Time would honestly be perfect for an MMORPG. There's tons of factions, character classes, large events, opportunities for teaming up...it's kind of uniquely suited for it. I'd even consider playing an MMO in order to play it.

No, no you don't.

Also, I'm now going to recycle some of my Theoryland posting:

quote:

There's a reason characters don't walk around in the book going "well, the fat man angreal dropped in last night's Dumai's Wells raid and I won it with a roll of 99 over Mazrim Taim, so now I'm power level 9000"

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Pimpmust posted:

I'm not even sure what Red Eagle is aiming for, they sure as hell don't seem interested in actually producing and selling anything (they hosed up doing some comics once, I think?).

Red Eagle Plan:
1. Acquire WoT license
2. Fake work at stuff, hold on to license for dear life
3. ???
4. Mad cash!

3 is "Harriet finally caves and buys the license back". Red Eagle paid for it, tried to produce something but weren't competent enough to make a profit from it, and now want their money back. They started trying it on while Jordan was dying, I think - his last substantive blog post before his passing was a rant about them.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

I've got to say that i was horribly unimpressed by this book and pretty much all of Sandersons work in this series. Yes its better than if the series had stopped with the death of Jordan but overall I've found Sanderson to be barely above poorly written fan fiction. The characters are two dimensional, there's plot holes you could Travel an army through and half the conversations have no back story and make no sense.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Aargh posted:

I've got to say that i was horribly unimpressed by this book and pretty much all of Sandersons work in this series. Yes its better than if the series had stopped with the death of Jordan but overall I've found Sanderson to be barely above poorly written fan fiction. The characters are two dimensional, there's plot holes you could Travel an army through and half the conversations have no back story and make no sense.

Yeah, I dumped on him a little bit in the re-read thread, and was in a fair amount of pain for the first half of TGS, but I cut him a fair amount of slack because I have to imagine it was extraordinarily difficult to move into someone elses world at the climax of the story, especially a world so well developed and with so many books. I have to imagine almost anyone would feel a bit 'fan fictiony' in those circumstances. I'm grateful for Sanderson finishing the story with as much care as he did, but I have to say he moved down my 'to read' list a bit. :smith:

EDIT: Hope he's not secretly a goon. :v: Jordan, not a chance, but Sanderson...?

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Fintilgin posted:

EDIT: Hope he's not secretly a goon. :v: Jordan, not a chance, but Sanderson...?

I'm pretty sure he's actually a redditor :smithicide:

Koryk
Jun 5, 2007
I didn't really like the book overall; I think it really showed just how different Jordan and Sanderson are as authors.

I think the biggest issue I had with it, was the Jordan did so much world building, that having the ultimate book be almost entirely focused on a single, huge battle to the point of dealing with troop movements and pike formations was anti-climatic.

It was kind of the opposite of the normal Sanderson build up to the avalanch/payoff. Everything before the fighting started was great, but as soon the first swords were drawn, it just became a slog and then there wasn't the closure I was hoping for at the end. I was hoping the epilogue would be set a few months/years in the future so you could see the world we spent so long reading about start to be put back together. That is something I think Sanderson would have been really good at, but you can't really have an epilogue after the bit Jordan wrote.

I know this book had to be on the Last Battle, but Sanderson doing it this way just didn't work for me.

PS. Gawyn is an idiot, and Perrin retained his title as Most Boring Character for the 13th book running.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20
Perrin really shined in Books 4 and 12, though. Gawyn remains one of the biggest tools in the history of fiction.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Fintilgin posted:

Sanderson isn't a goon. He is on Reddit though, as "mistborn."

...poor bastard.

My Friend Radio
Nov 6, 2003
Clichéd

api call girl posted:

TOR's own write-up of the twitter Q&A: http://www.tor.com/blogs/2013/01/brandon-sandersons-wheel-of-time-answers-from-torchat

Terez has a full list of questions and responses from the twitter chat: http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=874#22

Thanks a lot for linking this. I'm a lot more satisfied now with the way some things ended, knowing that the author was just as frustrated. Really excited about #1.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Thulsa Doom posted:

Gawyn remains one of the biggest tools in the history of fiction.

Well, it IS consistent with his character from the start to the end. No great hero or villain is he. In one sense he's basically Galad's Demandred, always in second place, and ruining the only thing he did win out on.

Lonely Swedish
Aug 13, 2010

Koryk posted:

I think the biggest issue I had with it, was the Jordan did so much world building, that having the ultimate book be almost entirely focused on a single, huge battle to the point of dealing with troop movements and pike formations was anti-climatic.

I thought Sanderson did a pretty good job of keeping up the pace of the action throughout the battle, but it was so long and on such a large scale that it was hard to keep track of everything. It's nice to be able to picture what's going on in a battle like that as you read it, and this one was pretty well impossible unless you're one of those people who can play a game of chess from memory. I lost track of who was winning or losing and where, and had to fight to keep from glossing over parts until the occasional "hey look we're winning" or "oh poo poo that's bad" dialogue thrown in to keep you updated.

Maybe that was the point, though? Make it feel more visceral or something, since nobody really knows what's going on except the guys at the top and it would be pretty boring told entirely from their point of view.

Koryk posted:

PS. Gawyn is an idiot, and Perrin retained his title as Most Boring Character for the 13th book running.

Perrin's drawn-out fight with Slayer was pretty neat I thought, though it did get a little repetitive about the 50th time they blinked back and forth behind each other.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare

Lonely Swedish posted:

Perrin's drawn-out fight with Slayer was pretty neat I thought, though it did get a little repetitive about the 50th time they blinked back and forth behind each other.

I disagree. It had no dramatic intensity, because I was quite sure Slayer had to be defeated for Rand to succeed, and since Perrin was the only candidate with the ability to go toe-to-toe in t'a'r, it was only a matter of time before he "powered up" enough to win. The battle was just an endless sequence of shifts. When Perrin was severely injured, I thought it might be leading to a situation where Perrin realized he had to defeat Slayer in some other way than straight one-on-one battle, but, no -- he just had to sleep, power up some more, and try again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

werdnam posted:

I disagree. It had no dramatic intensity, because I was quite sure Slayer had to be defeated for Rand to succeed, and since Perrin was the only candidate with the ability to go toe-to-toe in t'a'r, it was only a matter of time before he "powered up" enough to win. The battle was just an endless sequence of shifts. When Perrin was severely injured, I thought it might be leading to a situation where Perrin realized he had to defeat Slayer in some other way than straight one-on-one battle, but, no -- he just had to sleep, power up some more, and try again.

The only real revelation he had was learning how to enter and leave tar at will, which wasn't that important. It really was a pretty boring plotline.

• Locked thread