Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
Shadow continues the fine tradition of making adorable faces in panel two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Wow, it looks like the weird RSS delay is fixed! I thought Kat had to prove she was an angel, but they've labelled her a creator. Maybe it's close to the same thing if you consider the title "creator" in a theistic way instead of an engineering way.

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

This is the point where Kat realizes that "Angel" is more than just a cute nickname Robot gave her.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
Wait, they have laser eyes! They could have just laser-eyed everyone and had done with it all? :ohdear:

I want laser eyes too.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

'...jesus christ they have loving lasers!'

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

So that's where we've seen it.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Rexxed posted:

Wow, it looks like the weird RSS delay is fixed! I thought Kat had to prove she was an angel, but they've labelled her a creator. Maybe it's close to the same thing if you consider the title "creator" in a theistic way instead of an engineering way.

Or exactly the same thing if you read Forming.

Prison Warden posted:

Well, it's blue. So I'm guessing Kat'll give it to Annie to increase her fire resistance. , I wonder if it is Quadra magic or Added Cut?

But seriously it is super great to be reading a story that borrows more deeply from the concepts of western mythology instead of just ganking the names.

Also gently caress my brain, this was the first thing it saw today:

:cripes:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I wonder if the Mark of the Creator descends from Diego.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

ATP_Power posted:

So that's where we've seen it.

It's appeared a number of times in conjunction with Kat. We also see it in the second treatise, the third treatise and the fourth treatise. It probably shows up a bunch of other times, but I'd have to pore over the entire comic to do that and it's pretty late.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Rincewind posted:

It's appeared a number of times in conjunction with Kat. We also see it in the second treatise, the third treatise and the fourth treatise. It probably shows up a bunch of other times, but I'd have to pore over the entire comic to do that and it's pretty late.

Interesting, considering how the treatises seem to compare it with Annie's "Antimony" mark, and also how in the first treatise, Kat has a hammer with the symbol of the seed bismuth on it.

e: Holy poo poo, why is there a seed bismuth symbol over Ysengrin's missing ear in the 2nd treatise? :stare:

Arianya fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Jan 25, 2013

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Conot posted:

e: Holy poo poo, why is there a seed bismuth symbol over Ysengrin's missing ear in the 2nd treatise?

Unknown, but possibly hinting that it was the Court's fault he lost it.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Kat is now Robot Pope.

More like the robot Don.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

She's got an army of crusaders!

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Rexxed posted:

They didn't label her a creator, they bestowed the Mark of the Creator on her. She got a flash of inspiration for the bio-robot design, where do you imagine the robots think that came from? Angels aren't God, they are the messengers of God. The robots already believe that the tic-tocs were sent by a divine being to watch over things. In all probability they consider Kat a servant of that divine Creator.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
For anyone who hasn't noticed, the Archives page got an upgrade.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Zemyla posted:

I want laser eyes too.

We all do, my friend. We all do.

Which also means there's really no telling what robots could be capable of if they weren't so dumb.

Uh, actually, maybe upgrades for all isn't such a good idea... :ohdear:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

So I take it that unlike the other symbols, this one doesn't have some kind of pre-existing alchemical significance?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
It was made up, and inspired by the filament in a light bulb.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Someone absolutely needs to use this

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Wili
Apr 7, 2010

ppppbbbbtttthhhhhhttppp!

pik_d posted:

Laser seraphs! They announce the coming of The Angel. Just like real seraphs! Only with lasers.

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.

Wili posted:

Laser seraphs! They announce the coming of The Angel. Just like real seraphs! Only with lasers.

Don't tempt me

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong
:3: Even though we'll never be able to tell them apart I hope each of the S models have just as unique a personality as Robot, and not just act as a crazy-lazer-robot cult all the time.

E.J.Olmos
Jan 1, 2008

The question now is, what are the robots going to have to defend Kat from?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

MikeJF posted:

I wonder if the Mark of the Creator descends from Diego.

It does kinda resemble his nose.

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

Zemyla posted:

Wait, they have laser eyes! They could have just laser-eyed everyone and had done with it all? :ohdear:

I want laser eyes too.

I got Laser Eye Surgery a few years back.

Talk about a huge fuckin' let-down. All I can do is see better.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

pik_d posted:

Now I can't help but think of an avatar combining this with this.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Zemyla posted:

I want laser eyes too.

First laser cows, now the Seraphs. I wonder what other robots have laser eyes

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Fragrag posted:

I wonder what other robots have laser eyes

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Fragrag posted:

First laser cows, now the Seraphs. I wonder what other robots have laser eyes

I got laser eyes man, I can burn through poo poo, I can read minds, and now I... I am more curious.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
Knowing Boxbot though, his are installed backward.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
I wonder if the robots do this for every kid who shows some talent for robot tinkering. Maybe they have poor long-term memory.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Zenzirouj posted:

I wonder if the robots do this for every kid who shows some talent for robot tinkering. Maybe they have poor long-term memory.

To be fair, "Made a anti-gravity engine at 13" and "Saw a bird flap its wing and immediately had idea as to how to make a organic robot" are hardly "talent for tinkering"

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Conot posted:

To be fair, "Made a anti-gravity engine at 13" and "Saw a bird flap its wing and immediately had idea as to how to make a organic robot" are hardly "talent for tinkering"

Yeah, but it's funnier to imagine them busting in on some kid playing with k'nex and doing this same spiel.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Fucknag posted:

It does kinda resemble his nose.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who thought of that.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Rincewind posted:

I have a feeling it hasn't shown up that much, but I'd be curious. Also, this continues to support the theory that Kat and Annie are or are becoming avatars/champions of two great and opposing forces.

I also suspect that a lot of people besides them know this. They probably get away with much of what they do (teasing coyote, tinkering with robots, etc) because they are both much more powerful and important than either of them realise.

It might also explain Annie's father's actions. At first I thought he might have been trying something crazy like resurrecting Annie's mother, but now I think he may just have been trying to subvert or damage the opposing champion. He may even have been acting on behalf of a faction within the Court.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Lead out in cuffs posted:

It might also explain Annie's father's actions. At first I thought he might have been trying something crazy like resurrecting Annie's mother, but now I think he may just have been trying to subvert or damage the opposing champion. He may even have been acting on behalf of a faction within the Court.

I have a feeling that if anything, he's just trying to separate Annie from the "fire elemental" part of herself. If the above is true, it's entirely incidental.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
...so, the mark of the Creator is B^U?

Seriously, that's all I can see on that carving.

Sieje
Jun 29, 2004

My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes.

Dias posted:

Impossible, because that would mean that there was an X-box robot lurking around somewhere, which would be far more terrible than boxbot, and that can't happen.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Sieje posted:

Impossible, because that would mean that there was an X-box robot lurking around somewhere, which would be far more terrible than boxbot, and that can't happen.

The truth, revealed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Ursine Asylum posted:

I have a feeling that if anything, he's just trying to separate Annie from the "fire elemental" part of herself. If the above is true, it's entirely incidental.

Annie's mother died from being separated from her fire elemental part. I seem to recall Renard saying that there was "nothing left". That may not strictly have been true, but if it is, it would suggest that Annie is 100% her fire elemental part, and inseparable from it. But I wouldn't put it past her dad to try something like killing Annie to resurrect his ex-wife.

Dias posted:

I said this in an earlier post, but I think it got lost (plus it was late and I didn't provide much detail).

Symbols like that are usually magical sigils. They are the seals of spirits, angels, powers, etc. A book full of examples would be the The Lesser Key of Solomon. Usually sigils are created by encoding an alphabet onto a two-dimensional diagram, plotting the letters of a word onto that diagram through the encoding, and connecting the dots. Some examples of systems for doing this:

http://www.magickaschool.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=13093
http://www.wisdomsdoor.com/wb/hwb-sigil.shtml
http://solomonicmagic.blogspot.ca/2011/08/aiq-bekar-sigils.html

A lot of those links are kinda new-agey, but it's the :spergin: end of new age. What I'm curious about is whether Tom actually went to the trouble to encode a word, or whether he just scribbled some lines down. Given the hints Tom's dropped so far, I think he did a certain amount of :spergin: of his own, and has this all researched and worked out. So I'm curious as to what word or acronym the symbol encodes.