Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

AlternateAccount posted:

As long as neither Abrams himself or his talentless toadie Lindelhof are allowed anywhere near the writing process, maybe there's a chance for goodness.
Damon Lindelof owns. Lost and Prometheus own. Pissing off pedants owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

I now desperately wish the new Star Wars films were going to be a reboot like Abrams' Trek.

I think he would do a killer job with Nu-Luke and Nu-Han

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Jesse Eisenberg as Luke Skywalker?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Oh god yes, please make this happen.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ryan Gosling as Han Solo. Peter Dinklage as R2D2.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Supercar Gautier posted:

Damon Lindelof owns. Lost and Prometheus own. Pissing off pedants owns.

Yeah, if you compare the Prometheus script pre- vs post-Lindelof, he made it a lot better.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

mind the walrus posted:

Ryan Gosling as Han Solo. Peter Dinklage as R2D2.

Instead of being a droid, Peter Dinklage should just be a guy carrying around a full suite of electrical and mechanical tools on his belt and chest and be snarky and pissy to everyone all of the time because he always has to fix their poo poo.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

sean10mm posted:

Yeah, if you compare the Prometheus script pre- vs post-Lindelof, he made it a lot better.

Lindelof sucks and everyone knows it. Don't feed the trolls for a derail.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Karl Pilkington as Threepio. You thought I'd go for the obvious choice and use Stephen Merchant, didn't you? He's tall, lanky, and English, sure, but Karl has the personality.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

mind the walrus posted:

Ryan Gosling as Han Solo.

I know you were probably kidding but this would be drat good casting, honestly.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Waffles Inc. posted:

I just imagined him rolling his eyes and cooly blowing away Greedo and it turns out that you're right.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Nah I want to see Gosling as some sort of villain. I think he's got that dark streak and would make for an awesome bad guy

Also throw Fassbender and Christoph Waltz in there somewhere playing Roles. Any roles

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Zzulu posted:

Nah I want to see Gosling as some sort of villain. I think he's got that dark streak and would make for an awesome bad guy

Also throw Fassbender and Christoph Waltz in there somewhere playing Roles. Any roles

Waltz can be Tarkin.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

gently caress that, Waltz for Obi Wan. Who says the old and wise always have to be British? First one to say Ian McKellan or Patrick Stewart gets a pimp slap by the by.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

No, Obi-Wan should be played by someone hip and young, someone the kids will dig; get Peter Facinelli, he was in Twilight. You don't have to be old to be wise.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

ElectricSheep posted:

Instead of being a droid, Peter Dinklage should just be a guy carrying around a full suite of electrical and mechanical tools on his belt and chest and be snarky and pissy to everyone all of the time because he always has to fix their poo poo.

Name him Arturo and have everyone call him by his nickname, R2.

Jason Momoa as Chewbacca. Yeah, I just finished watching all 5 seasons of Stargate Atlantis.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

Waffles Inc. posted:

Yes, the expressionless Ryan Gosling. I vote Fassbender.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
Obligatory "Emma Stone for Leia"

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Not to burst any fantasy casting bubbles, but Disney pretty much outright stated that it's going to be a sequel to the original trilogy, and that if any characters return, they will most likely be played by the same actors (Hamill for instance)

Of course, they won't say anything official, but it would not surprise me in the slightest if Luke is an Obi-Wan esq character in this new trilogy.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Luke is so bloated with his new Jedi Master Force powers, it's incredible! And Leia obviously has followed in her brother's footsteps, just look at how full of the Light Side she is!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Not to burst any fantasy casting bubbles, but Disney pretty much outright stated that it's going to be a sequel to the original trilogy, and that if any characters return, they will most likely be played by the same actors (Hamill for instance)

Of course, they won't say anything official, but it would not surprise me in the slightest if Luke is an Obi-Wan esq character in this new trilogy.

Time to see if they can out-do Tron: Legacy in terms of "young descendant of the original protagonist saves the day to become the new star of the films".

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

If we're doing that, then I hope we're following Lando's grandson and never once see a Skywalker.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

You know drat well that's never going to happen.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

And Leia obviously has followed in her brother's footsteps, just look at how full of the Light Side she is!

Not enough gold in Fort Knox to make her a new bikini.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
Isn't there a Star Wars ep. VII thread? If not, maybe it's time.

Back to the topic, since Countdown into Darkness refers to the Star Trek Ongoing comic series, is it safe to assume that Ongoing is canon? (If so, I've got some catching up to do!)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

If you guys came up with the idea for blowing up the Death Star, you'd have blown up the Death Star.

Great_Gerbil
Sep 1, 2006
Rhombomys opimus

Tequila Bob posted:

Back to the topic, since Countdown into Darkness refers to the Star Trek Ongoing comic series, is it safe to assume that Ongoing is canon? (If so, I've got some catching up to do!)

Orci and Kurtzman have made some confusing statements about it, refusing to put it down either way. But, most recently, they conceded that canon is only what's been on screen but the comics are as close to canon as you can get without it being on screen.

So, yes. They're canon unless they're explicitly contradicted later, it seems.

Either way, I'd give em a read. They're pretty good and supposedly there are a few threads here and there that show up in the movie.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Tequila Bob posted:

Isn't there a Star Wars ep. VII thread? If not, maybe it's time.

If you think you might enjoy them, you could probably just go ahead and read them without worrying about whether they are canon or not.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Super Bowl commercial is out.

Stakes look pretty high. I wonder if the E is gonna be destroyed?

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

I mean completely. If that's it crashing in San Fran it's pretty hosed.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

If you have the Star Trek phone app, you can book tickets for a preview screening on the 15th of May.

I would, but the nearest one to me is 18$. No thanks.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Holy poo poo. The enterprise falling out of the sky was spectacular. The wait for this is going to be excruciating.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

If you have the Star Trek phone app, you can book tickets for a preview screening on the 15th of May.

Do you have to have the app to get this or is it possible for you to post a link?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

Do you have to have the app to get this or is it possible for you to post a link?

It's through Fandango, but it seems to only be accessible through the ap.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Done and done! Thanks for the heads up!

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

My God, Bones, what have I done?

Exactly what you needed to. You took an ugly ship and gave it a chance for a redesign.

Mogomra fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Feb 4, 2013

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Ugh, every time I see Chris Pine on screen all I can think of is how much I'd rather see Bruce Greenwood's character headlining this.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Well I got the tickets and not sure what I am looking forward to more. The movie or the cosplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

You can go directly through Fandango. It seems to be IMAX theaters.

• Locked thread