Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Do you have a screenshot? I never noticed a comet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I don't, unfortunately, but if you have a savegame in chapter 2, just look up in the sky. It's also VERY big during the opening of chapter two during the bubble/red sky/wraith phase. I'll check google.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

chaosapiant posted:

I don't, unfortunately, but if you have a savegame in chapter 2, just look up in the sky. It's also VERY big during the opening of chapter two during the bubble/red sky/wraith phase. I'll check google.

It's not the Hunt, it's part of Sabrina's curse. If you take Roche's path Henselt tells you this outright. It's not an omen but a manifestation of the curse, like the wraiths.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Chickenwalker posted:

It's not the Hunt, it's part of Sabrina's curse. If you take Roche's path Henselt tells you this outright. It's not an omen but a manifestation of the curse, like the wraiths.

I haven't played Roche's path since the game was new, but having googled this, it seems lots of people came to the same conclusion. However, I also saw some conflicting opinions on the Witcher 2 board. Is it possible the comet is actually both? As in, The Wild Hunt raced across the sky, appearing as a comet, at the moment Sabrina's curse manifested itself? The Wild Hunt DOES appear most often right before a large battle, a portent of war.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I only remember the comet in Act 2. But it being an aspect of Sabrina's curse doesn't necessarily contradict the Wild Hunt hypothesis. She also predicted the coin conspiracy as part of the curse, but that began years before Act 2 and those people were acting of their own free will. It's kind of hard to separate cause and effect and coincidence with this thing. Hell, come to think of it, Sabrina's curse didn't even really trigger until King Henselt ill-advisedly spilled a holy man's blood all over an ominous looking standing stone covered in glyphs. It's not like it turned on the second he was on the field. Would it have occurred if Henselt hadn't done what he did? Could Henselt have done otherwise, or was that somehow part of the curse? Quite confusing.

Not sure I believe this idea about the comet though. Just saying.

EDIT: Meant to say I didn't remember the comet being in ACT THREE. I only recall seeing it in Act 2, but I did see it.

The Sharmat fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jan 26, 2013

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Oh man, I never noticed a comet like that. And considering CD Red doesn't play loose with symbols and themes, I just hope it has something to do with the Star Called Wormwood.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Chickenwalker posted:

Henselt may be very, very wrong about this. Its not like he has the greatest occult sense in the game, since I think pretty much anyone in Witcherland could tell you that murdering a priest and splashing his blood against a massive glyph-riddled stone on an ancient battlefield that happens to be the site of an incredibly powerful magical summoning and a very powerful curse cast by a dying sorceress might not be the best idea. It just needed to be on the anniversary of the curse, or possibly with an orphanage nearby, to utterly cement the "this place is haunted as gently caress" idea.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

steinrokkan posted:

Oh man, I never noticed a comet like that. And considering CD Red doesn't play loose with symbols and themes, I just hope it has something to do with the Star Called Wormwood.
What is this?

Ravenfood posted:

Henselt may be very, very wrong about this. Its not like he has the greatest occult sense in the game, since I think pretty much anyone in Witcherland could tell you that murdering a priest and splashing his blood against a massive glyph-riddled stone on an ancient battlefield that happens to be the site of an incredibly powerful magical summoning and a very powerful curse cast by a dying sorceress might not be the best idea. It just needed to be on the anniversary of the curse, or possibly with an orphanage nearby, to utterly cement the "this place is haunted as gently caress" idea.
Yeah there seems to be a lot of this in the Witcherverse. Like Foltest's daughter being a striga, for instance. The common gossip was that she was a striga because of the circumstances of her birth and the fact that she was a product of incest. The king and court later insisted it was a curse. If I remember correctly, it was actually both. Having an incest baby with your sister, who then dies during delivery, won't make the baby come back as a striga. Neither is there a curse that can do that. But according to Geralt, if you have a dead incest baby and a curse...

Basically, the curses may not be that specific, even when they work. And they can't just happen, they seem to need something else to work with. Some kind of spiritual pollution to make the person vulnerable/the circumstances right in the first place.

Or I'm totally misunderstanding or misremembering things. One of the two.

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N

The Sharmat posted:

Basically, the curses may not be that specific, even when they work. And they can't just happen, they seem to need something else to work with. Some kind of spiritual pollution to make the person vulnerable/the circumstances right in the first place.

I always interpreted it as simply: bad things will ultimately happen to bad people, and the Witcher universe has some of the worst people imaginable. You commit incest rape with your sister and bore a child? Yeah, the gods will make sure you get what's coming to you...

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

The Sharmat posted:

What is this?

Yeah there seems to be a lot of this in the Witcherverse. Like Foltest's daughter being a striga, for instance. The common gossip was that she was a striga because of the circumstances of her birth and the fact that she was a product of incest. The king and court later insisted it was a curse. If I remember correctly, it was actually both. Having an incest baby with your sister, who then dies during delivery, won't make the baby come back as a striga. Neither is there a curse that can do that. But according to Geralt, if you have a dead incest baby and a curse...

I think you're right, and it is both. Though I seem to recall the curse being the main cause. I'd have to reread that story though I think you are correct in that the incest may have made the curse possible.

Wormwood is a comet/falling star that's a portent of the apocalypse in the bible. Dunno if he/she is referring to something else.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

The Sharmat posted:

What is this?

Unfortunately, Slavic mythology isn't quite as specifc as Northern / Germanic lore--- and consequently, it's difficult to create a widely understandable world based on this framework (As demonstrated by Sapkowski's post-Witcher unreciprocitated attempt to write about the Hussite revolution). But still, I feel that i there's something that feels signficant, then it actually IS significant.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I think in the case of the Striga, it was a "spell" cast by Ostrit because he was a jealous lover of Foltest's sister Adda (the daughter is named after her; two Addas.) So, yea, the "curse" was a direct result of the incest, but not from the "gods" but simply from bad people trying to gently caress over other bad people.

Destiny/Prophecy play a big role in the Witcher universe, but it's never a clear cut line. Such as Geralt getting Ciri. He pretty much straight up told Ciri's grandmother "I don't want the child," and then believed her to be dead, and STILL wound up with her.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It was an interesting experience when I went on a walking tour of Romania just few weeks after finishing Witcher 1. Turns out that the concept of striga - as understood by Romanian villagers - has little to do with the western notion of vampire. It's more closely connected with the orhodox tradition which in turn finds its sources in the Greco-Roman canon, most significantly in the Arcadian proto-Greek religion.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Spite posted:

I think you're right, and it is both. Though I seem to recall the curse being the main cause. I'd have to reread that story though I think you are correct in that the incest may have made the curse possible.

Yeah, I seem to recall Geralt at some point suggesting the incest baby was a cause in that it drew the ire of someone else who subsequently cast the curse, not that it was in any way a direct cause.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

l33t b4c0n posted:

You commit incest rape with your sister and bore a child?
It wasn't a rape actually. It was consensual.

steinrokkan posted:

Unfortunately, Slavic mythology isn't quite as specifc as Northern / Germanic lore--- and consequently, it's difficult to create a widely understandable world based on this framework (As demonstrated by Sapkowski's post-Witcher unreciprocitated attempt to write about the Hussite revolution). But still, I feel that i there's something that feels signficant, then it actually IS significant.
Well I kind of like it not being clear cut anyway. Makes it feel real.

steinrokkan posted:

It was an interesting experience when I went on a walking tour of Romania just few weeks after finishing Witcher 1. Turns out that the concept of striga - as understood by Romanian villagers - has little to do with the western notion of vampire. It's more closely connected with the orhodox tradition which in turn finds its sources in the Greco-Roman canon, most significantly in the Arcadian proto-Greek religion.
That's interesting. At the risk of going off topic, do you mind elaborating?

Chickenwalker posted:

Yeah, I seem to recall Geralt at some point suggesting the incest baby was a cause in that it drew the ire of someone else who subsequently cast the curse, not that it was in any way a direct cause.

You may be right now that you mention it. That kind of rings a bell.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Is there any way to stop this game performing "first time setup" every single time I run it? Using the Steam version if that makes any difference.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

AXE COP posted:

Is there any way to stop this game performing "first time setup" every single time I run it? Using the Steam version if that makes any difference.

Go into the game's folder under Steam/steamapps/common and find the redist folder(if there is one) and delete everything in there. If there isn't then delete any vc or .net installers you find.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is this the comet you are looking for?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Acquire Currency! posted:

Is this the comet you are looking for?

That's the one! It's also visible in Act II.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

chaosapiant posted:

That's the one! It's also visible in Act II.

I only noticed it by chance of accidentally flicking my mouse too far. This is at the start of the epilogue. Extremely sorry if that bit of text contains spoilers.

Akong
Nov 6, 2010

Xaurips are reptilian humanoids about the size of orlans.
I never even noticed that. Do they ever mention it?

If it's visible in both Act 2 and 3, then surely it can't be because of Sabrina's curse, can it?

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Akong posted:

I never even noticed that. Do they ever mention it?

If it's visible in both Act 2 and 3, then surely it can't be because of Sabrina's curse, can it?

Well, I figured it was the harbinger of the Wild Hunt. Since the whole invasion thing is sort of what it beckons, right?

Akong
Nov 6, 2010

Xaurips are reptilian humanoids about the size of orlans.
I love the idea of the Wild Hunt following you around, sort of like it did in the first game. Way creepy.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Akong posted:

I love the idea of the Wild Hunt following you around, sort of like it did in the first game. Way creepy.

Woah!! Really? I never noticed that particular tidbit.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Acquire Currency! posted:

Woah!! Really? I never noticed that particular tidbit.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure they're watching you because they think you'll eventually lead them to Ciri.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Wow. it is in Act 3. I'm positively certain that it doesn't appear until after Henselt triggers Sabrina's curse though. That lends a lot of weight to the theory.

Randomzx
Jul 26, 2007
I'm not sure, but I think the potions effects transfers to the soldiers you control in the Eternal Battle

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Randomzx posted:

I'm not sure, but I think the potions effects transfers to the soldiers you control in the Eternal Battle
I'm pretty sure they don't, since I loaded up on potions the first time I've entered the battle, and that didn't help at all.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Yeah, the potions are totally useless in the battle.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I hate that part of the game. It makes no sense. Why take away all of the player's abilities and make them go through some mind numbingly simple gauntlets? What does it accomplish?

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
It forces you to put points into riposte?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

notZaar posted:

I hate that part of the game. It makes no sense. Why take away all of the player's abilities and make them go through some mind numbingly simple gauntlets? What does it accomplish?
"Simple" isn't the word I'd use to describe that.

(I've died so many times to the fire arrows)

(At one point they glitched out and never fired. I happily made my way to the commander, only to discover he's glitched out as well. I must have spent 5 minutes poking all over the place hoping I won't have to go back to the start of the segment, like a Monty Python / Catch 22 sketch)

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I didn't mean it was easy, it was just a really dumb. The worst part was the last one, when you were forced to dodge fireballs with basically zero warning. Once I got to the cutscene trigger and my character stopped moving as a fireball was coming down, so I died right after the cutscene ended >:^[

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Fire arrows are probably the main reason why I will never attempt Insanity. I can get through purely skill-based parts like the Letho fight in one try now, but it's so easy to move at just the wrong second during the fire arrows part that I will always die at least a couple times there every time.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

This is a few days old so maybe it's been posted elsewhere (there's no W3 thread, is there?) but CDP Red released an image from their new engine. It looks very Witcher-related.

It's so small in size it's difficult to see how big an improvement it is over the last engine but it certainly looks nice.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
The worst thing about the Eternal Battle segment is that otherwise it's a really well done sequence. All those weird annoying design decisions make it really hard to appreciate.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

The Sharmat posted:

The worst thing about the Eternal Battle segment is that otherwise it's a really well done sequence. All those weird annoying design decisions make it really hard to appreciate.

Did one of the recent patches change anything to the Eternal Battle segment? I was replaying it on hard mode today and I ran through it all in one go, no problem. I also noticed a lot more of my skills seemed to carry over, for example the hit multiple enemies for 50% damage skill from the sword skill-tree, can't remember that working before.

I really stumbled a lot there on my first playthrough on normal (which was well over a year ago) but it went really smoothly this time, and yes it really is a pretty cool segment if you don't get bogged down.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Autsj posted:

Did one of the recent patches change anything to the Eternal Battle segment? I was replaying it on hard mode today and I ran through it all in one go, no problem. I also noticed a lot more of my skills seemed to carry over, for example the hit multiple enemies for 50% damage skill from the sword skill-tree, can't remember that working before.

I really stumbled a lot there on my first playthrough on normal (which was well over a year ago) but it went really smoothly this time, and yes it really is a pretty cool segment if you don't get bogged down.

I really never found the eternal battle all that frustrating even without riposte, the exception to this would be playing it on Darkmode which was a pain in the rear end.

I dont think the battle has really changed all that much since the game was first released. You carry over almost all of the sword tree skills the big thing is you cant roll.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.
One of the recent patches seriously nerfed the damage that your opponents do during the sequence, meaning that it's now possible to beat it on Dark Mode on the first try instead of trying it literally 30 times and getting lucky once.

Now if they'd just fix the "Geralt is evidently too stupid to have his weapon ready when the cutscene ends ANNNNNNDDDDD you just took 200 damage while drawing your sword" thing, Witcher 2 would be.. perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Witcher 1 was a huge jerk for that, but I though in 2 Geralt had his sword ready 90% of the time?

• Locked thread