Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

FancyMike posted:

Picked up an old 2x12 tonight.

It came empty, but I had some vintage 30s to put in there.

Could you talk about that Jazzmaster and that pickup in the bridge position? Is that a Fralin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Also, where can I find old-style cables like that?

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
Just to hop on to the "badger FancyMike" train, how does that Sound City bass head work out for guitar? Are they like Fender Bassmans?

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Xabi posted:

I got mine at Radio Shack. Just like Jimi did.

Oh, so I got one of these for $80. The best part was the auction said it was missing a piece. Nope, everything there.

Pretty awesome, though I've only really messed with the reverb model.
http://www.digitech.com/en-US/products/istomp
Check the e-pedals. I may experiment with the ring modulator or some of the octave things later.
It downloads into the pedal, which is very nicely constructed, has a stereo in and out, four knobs for twiddling, but it does require a power outlet: does not run on battery. Bit of a shame.

So... I got another one for $70. May just replace the pedalboard o' Dano with these, I don't really need more than a pedal and a reverb for much of anything, since the amp I use has distortion in it.

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jan 18, 2013

kahm
May 13, 2004

what's goin' on in this fridge

FancyMike posted:

Yeah, we're gonna need to know how this sounds immediately. Like with a clip or something. I'm not going to be able to let you just post that and not let us hear it. Can't allow it.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Automatic Slim posted:

Could you talk about that Jazzmaster and that pickup in the bridge position? Is that a Fralin?

It's a baritone. Squier Vintage Modified with a Warmoth conversion neck. Pickup is a Novak wide range humbucker in a jazzmaster cover. Neck pickup is stock Duncan Designed, behind the bridge is a GFS lipstick.

Xabi posted:

Basically anywhere? Coily cables aren't too hard to come by. I think Lava Cable and Bullet Cable both make them. That white one is Vox, and I know a guy with a white Fender one too.

TyChan posted:

Just to hop on to the "badger FancyMike" train, how does that Sound City bass head work out for guitar? Are they like Fender Bassmans?

I've also got an old Guild amp that's pretty similar to a Bassman. The Sound City sounds absolutely nothing like a Bassman. It's powered by four KT-88s and some massive transformers and with no master volume you're not really going to get any amount of breakup from the amp playing guitar until it's way too loud. The EQ is definitely meant more for bass too with two bass controls, 30-300hz and 250-600hz. It's fine if you want a super clean amp to run some pedals into, but it's best for bass where you can really work those giant tubes. The Sound City Lead 150 for guitar was powered by 6 EL34s.

kahm posted:

Yeah, we're gonna need to know how this sounds immediately. Like with a clip or something. I'm not going to be able to let you just post that and not let us hear it. Can't allow it.

It sounds like loud. Can't really record anything in my apartment. Also by the time that Sound City gets loud enough to sound real good I'd have probably destroyed the speakers in that cab as it's too much for just 2x12. Might try and get some clips next time I'm at the practice space though.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

FancyMike posted:

Basically anywhere? Coily cables aren't too hard to come by. I think Lava Cable and Bullet Cable both make them. That white one is Vox, and I know a guy with a white Fender one too.
I've found cheap generic ones many places, but literally all (three) of them have broken down sooner rather than later.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Xabi posted:

I've found cheap generic ones many places, but literally all (three) of them have broken down sooner rather than later.

My Vox has held up very well for the past two years and I've used it for pretty much every practice or show in that time. White gets dirty though. Looks like Amazon has the Vox ones in red, white, blue, and black. I have no personal experience with either Lava or Bullet cables, but I see they're both more expensive. I like them because I find the coily cable doesn't get tangled up as much around whatever poo poo is on the floor when I'm playing and I'm tripping over it less.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
How's that Wide Range?

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

How's that Wide Range?

It's fantastic if you like WRHBs. There's quite a bit of hype around WRHBs that I'm not sure they entirely live up to, but it's a neat pickup design and I like the sound. Novak does them very well too. I know he's reworked a lot of old ones for Lee Ranaldo.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

How's that Wide Range?

I've got the Fralin P-92 and I've heard samples of it and samples of the Novak and samples of the Fralin Twangmaster. Obviously they all could be wound differently, but in general the P-92 is a bit darker and has a bit more breakup, the Twangmaster has more spank, and the Novak is just a little bit nicer-sounding than either of them, more "musical" I suppose would be the word I'd use.

That having been written, I love my P-92 and sometimes catch myself just listening to it and accomplishing nothing. It has plenty of what the Novak has, which is this very pure timbre more like a vibraphone than a piano. I suppose the defining characteristic of almost all guitar pickups, for me, would be the nasal quality of them. What makes these WRHB-esque (and re-issue-specced WRHB with all the odd metals and construction) pickups unique, to me, is that the nasal quality is still there, but it's far back enough in the overall matrix of the timbral profile that I hear bells more than twang.

edit: And while that's true, at the same time I've futzed with the Varitone in my guitar's circuit, and the phase / parallel-series switches enough to know that I can get some more Gibson-y sounds out of it, as well as some more Strat-y sounds. Not Tele though, that's what the SP-42 is for in the bridge :smugdog:

Schlieren fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jan 19, 2013

Sparkle Biscuit
Jul 21, 2004

Honestly, I was just hitting any note.

I'm an intermediate player at best, but I really wanted to upgrade from my SX. It may be good for a $120 bass, but it's still a $120 bass. Everything I'd read said these LTD basses feel in no way like they're any less than $500, and I think they're right. Everything feels really great on this bass. It's comfortable, doesn't buzz like hell, and you can dial in a decent number of tones, even thought I'm sure the electronics are only so-so. Not to mention I think it looks pretty slick.

I probably will replace the pickups, though with what I don't know. Would it be worth the trouble to try to replace the preamp at some point?

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Novak will do wide range HBs in any enclosure? IIRC, weren't the original models similar to the Guild HB1s in that they wouldn't fit in a standard HB pocket?

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Novak will do wide range HBs in any enclosure? IIRC, weren't the original models similar to the Guild HB1s in that they wouldn't fit in a standard HB pocket?

The original WRHBs were larger than standard HBs yes. Novak will do them to fit either a standard humbucker route or a wide-range sized route. He also puts them (and a ton of other things) in Jazzmaster covers.

The Creamery and Lollar also both do pretty good WRHBs from what I hear. I think you can get them to fit in standard humbucker routes from any of them. No personal experience with either though.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Am I mistaken or is Lollar's WR style HB just a split single coil?

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Warcabbit posted:

...but it does require a power outlet: does not run on battery. Bit of a shame.

Hi from irc! (des)
Supply is rated 9VDC@150mA through a boss barrel jack. I'd wager they just didn't have room for a 9V in the size they were shooting for. That wouldn't sip too much from most whole pedal board batteries.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Am I mistaken or is Lollar's WR style HB just a split single coil?

http://www.lollarguitars.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=LGP&Product_Code=269&Category_Code=humbucker-pickups

Looks like a humbucker to me.

Startyde posted:

Hi from irc! (des)
Supply is rated 9VDC@150mA through a boss barrel jack. I'd wager they just didn't have room for a 9V in the size they were shooting for. That wouldn't sip too much from most whole pedal board batteries.

150mA is a lot of draw for a pedal to be powered by a standard 9v battery. For reference my Memory Boy draws 45mA and EHX says to expect 3-4 hours out of a battery if you power it that way.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Startyde posted:

Hi from irc! (des)

That was my conclusion as well. I'm liking this pedal. Ability to screw around with infinite sounds for relatively cheap per pedal? Yes please.

niff
Jul 4, 2010

FancyMike posted:

As a guy who spend about $1800NZD importing a refurbished Sunn 200S cab (loaded with K140s) from California I hate you so much right now. I wish the old school Sunn cabs were easier to come by here.

Gassing really hard for a 'mini rig' of the old school JLB loaded Sunn 115 to run my 100w tube head through (bass), but cost is a very big factor in getting one of those.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

niff posted:

As a guy who spend about $1800NZD importing a refurbished Sunn 200S cab (loaded with K140s) from California I hate you so much right now. I wish the old school Sunn cabs were easier to come by here.

Gassing really hard for a 'mini rig' of the old school JLB loaded Sunn 115 to run my 100w tube head through (bass), but cost is a very big factor in getting one of those.

That's an expensive 2x15. My 215B was $150US and it even shipped for free. Doesn't have K140s in it though. I've got just a bit under $250 in that 212 including the v30s, but I got a good deal on the speakers and one of them might need a recone. Sunn poo poo (especially the solid state stuff) is real expensive right now, but every once in a while there's a good deal to be had on the cabs. It helps a lot being in Seattle instead of New Zealand.

Looking for something like this? Impossible to tell what sort of shape that's in or what speaker is in it though. The Sunn cabs are cool but it might be easier (relatively) to find an empty 15 box and a JBL to put in there. Though I can't imagine a K140 or whatever is any easier to find than a Sunn cab out in NZ.

vvvvv edit: Whenever I get around to replacing my 410 with another 215 I'll probably go Peavey.

FancyMike fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jan 24, 2013

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Could you just get an old New Zealand or Australian amp? The Cult of Sunn is just based around the stuff being old, well-built, nice sounding and (in the past) cheap. Get an Overeem, Moody, Amwatts, Ace Radio etc if you want something similar. Or an old Peavey, which can usually be found everywhere.

answersyouseek
Aug 19, 2003

No Moderation

niff posted:

Holy poo poo that is insane

niff
Jul 4, 2010

answersyouseek posted:

Holy poo poo that is insane

To be fair, it had been internally modified to be optimised for JBLs, dampened, replaced with reconed K140s ($200USD a piece currently) and totally re-tolexed by johnk - link is to the exact cabinet. Now that I have the actual box here, I am having a second one cloned exactly to specification after I get my hands on two more NOS K140s.

If it helps, for comparison a new Ampeg 6x10 is $2300NZD, 8x10 is around $2600-3000 depending on deals and those new Mesa Boogie 8x10 cabs are $3600 - poo poo is expensive here. For $1800 I blew all the aforementioned cabs out of the water, tone wise. edit: he also sold it to me for $800USD rather than $999 like he says on the site.

the wizards beard posted:

Could you just get an old New Zealand or Australian amp? The Cult of Sunn is just based around the stuff being old, well-built, nice sounding and (in the past) cheap. Get an Overeem, Moody, Amwatts, Ace Radio etc if you want something similar. Or an old Peavey, which can usually be found everywhere.

I have an old NZ Holden tube head, which is great at the moment - can pick them up pretty cheap, thanks to our fortress economy back in the 60s-80s everything had to be locally built. I'm getting a Matamp GT200 clone build locally as an upgrade (cheaper than importing a real one) to run the Sunn + clone together at 2 ohms, about 320W RMS dimed through 4x15s.

FancyMike posted:

Looking for something like this? Impossible to tell what sort of shape that's in or what speaker is in it though. The Sunn cabs are cool but it might be easier (relatively) to find an empty 15 box and a JBL to put in there. Though I can't imagine a K140 or whatever is any easier to find than a Sunn cab out in NZ.

I'll probably get a spare K140 and get the dimensions of half the 200S cloned for a mini-rig, 100 watt of tube (2x KT88s and oversized OT, 160W~ RMS dimed if need be) through an 8 ohm 15" is a pretty solid bass rig for non-doom applications. I can't imagine I'll import another cab now I have the blueprint for 'my tone' here locally and I know some extremely talented builders.

niff fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 24, 2013

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

'83 Ultra Deluxe, I believe.
Not bad for a little over one fifty.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

niff posted:

I have an old NZ Holden tube head, which is great at the moment - can pick them up pretty cheap, thanks to our fortress economy back in the 60s-80s everything had to be locally built. I'm getting a Matamp GT200 clone build locally as an upgrade (cheaper than importing a real one) to run the Sunn + clone together at 2 ohms, about 320W RMS dimed through 4x15s.

I'll probably get a spare K140 and get the dimensions of half the 200S cloned for a mini-rig, 100 watt of tube (2x KT88s and oversized OT, 160W~ RMS dimed if need be) through an 8 ohm 15" is a pretty solid bass rig for non-doom applications. I can't imagine I'll import another cab now I have the blueprint for 'my tone' here locally and I know some extremely talented builders.

Those things both sound rad. 15s and KT88s are so good for bass and it's hard for me to play anything else after getting my Sound City. I go back to my 6l6 amps sometimes (my twin still has the original RCAs) and they sound good, but they just don't feel quite right.

niff
Jul 4, 2010
Rickenbacker 4001, chrome flats, KT88s, 15s and fuzz are all essential things I will never be able to live without in my life. I am sculpting that 'alternate' rig, which will be using a '60s mod' reissue epi EB-0 into the aforementioned 100w/1x15 combination with some natural tube overdrive for another non-stoner/doom band - but I still can't live without the 15s or KT88s.

Speaking of that, I might make a giant post of all the things I have bought over the last year tonight. Perhaps I'll include all the import taxes and shipping costs to make the Americans realise how lucky they are, ha ha.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

niff posted:

Speaking of that, I might make a giant post of all the things I have bought over the last year tonight. Perhaps I'll include all the import taxes and shipping costs to make the Americans realise how lucky they are, ha ha.

Eh, I already consider myself lucky when I find a Teisco, Hagstrom, and a Squier literally on the side of the road, in working condition, and get a Kustom 215 tuck and roll cab for $50.

But do post all your poo poo because I like seeing other people's stuff. It makes me happy in the pants.

amishbuttermaster
Apr 28, 2009

niff posted:

It's not so much that we're lucky but rather that we don't live on a sparsely populated and remote island nation.

Edit: If it makes you feel any better looks at food, fuel and housing costs for Hawaii and Alaska compared to mainland costs for the same.

amishbuttermaster fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jan 25, 2013

niff
Jul 4, 2010
All of these purchased within 12 months!

SORRY FOR INSTAGRAM

tbp looper, boss tu-2, vfe mini-mu, sanford & sonny bluebeard, HE el oso. DOD 250 added soon. $940NZD

1977 rickenbacker 4001 $2800NZD

sunn 215 $1800, holden 200 $800

more wild pokemon gear will appear later

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Officially started saving for one of these last night. Not sure which.

http://www.guildguitars.com/instruments/?gtype=electrics

[img]http://i.imgur.com/RxuVrK.png][/img]

Loaf32
Feb 18, 2007

I'M NOT ABOUT TO START SPENDING MONEY ON THE FORUMS, THANKS.
Those look really slick. Am I alone in really disliking the tailpieces, though?

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Officially started saving for one of these last night. Not sure which.

Dat bass.

Loaf32 posted:

Those look really slick. Am I alone in really disliking the tailpieces, though?

The only one I dislike is the last one.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Polidoro posted:

Dat bass.

Needs a neck pickup.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now

FancyMike posted:

Needs a neck pickup.

Definitely. Do the bridge saddles have foam on them? Kinda looks like it, would be cool if it didn't cause intonation problems.

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
Melon "Weed" Dude 1936 - 2011
Rest in peace, you shitposting bastard.

Constipated posted:

Definitely. Do the bridge saddles have foam on them? Kinda looks like it
Rosewood saddles; those are tone saddles for sure.

And it only comes in the gadawful cherry. Everything with f-holes has to come in cherry...

Ed: I guess it's an homage to the old Starfire basses which came in cherry (among other, better looking paint options)

RetardedRobots fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jan 26, 2013

Sadsack
Mar 5, 2009

Fighting evil with cups of tea and crippling self-doubt.
That Not-SG looks fantastic. Hopefully it'll balance a lot better than a proper SG. Guild have audio samples up on their website: http://www.guildguitars.com/en-GB/instruments/details/?partno=3791000866#simpleContained3

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Got a new acoustic guitar. Martin DX1AE. Sounds and feels amazing. I was a little skeptical of the HPL body, but it was in my budget, and goddamn this thing is such a huge improvement over my cheapie 15-year-old Sigma. Solid as a rock, and sounds awesome. The electronics are cleverly hidden, and it sounds decent DI, but I think a nice mix of acoustic and DI would sound fantastic. Loving it. Dig that neck, homie.

That Guy From Pearldiver
Apr 18, 2001

President and Sole Member of the Andre Braugher Appreciation Society

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

Got a new acoustic guitar. Martin DX1AE. Sounds and feels amazing. I was a little skeptical of the HPL body, but it was in my budget, and goddamn this thing is such a huge improvement over my cheapie 15-year-old Sigma. Solid as a rock, and sounds awesome. The electronics are cleverly hidden, and it sounds decent DI, but I think a nice mix of acoustic and DI would sound fantastic. Loving it. Dig that neck, homie.

Read a review that the neck can be pretty temperamental with humidity. Are you having any issues?

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Not so far, but I've only had it since yesterday. I'm going to put it through its paces, humidity-wise, when I go from Colorado to Ireland in a few weeks, and then back a few weeks later. Definitely going to research some options to save it from tying itself in a knot.

Edit: vvv Good to know, and I've actually started noticing some inconsistencies in the neck this morning. Gonna return it tomorrow. If it can't survive three days in a dry apartment, it's going to be hosed if I take it somewhere very humid and back.

Cpt. Spring Types fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jan 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

no dad im not gay!
Jan 30, 2007

+1 on the iffy neck. My father had a DX1AE with the cutaway option and the neck on that thing would change every drat day out in his man cave. It also requires a proprietary (read: gently caress-off long) allen wrench tool to adjust the neck. I dumped it for him in favor of a used Taylor in the same price range with a SOLID mahogany neck. No problems since. The stratobond necks are fine if you're in a climate controlled house but useless anywhere else.