Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

NOW IS NOT THE TIME FOR GYROS, MISTER GRACE.

A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
Good Lord, look at that EC injury report.

There are only 2 explanations, global warming or Mark Grace. Take your pick.

Also C. There aren't any actual motherfucking gyros, are there?

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.
Going with A.

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

Lineup (both vsL and vsR):

LF Raines
2B Collins
C Gibson
DH Ramirez
RF Aaron
CF DiMaggio
1B Garciaparra
3B Brett
SS Joost

Nellie Fox returns to the minors.

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem
Gyros :colbert:

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.
gently caress, I knew the wheels were going to come off sooner or later.

Oswalt is banished to long relief, Cooper takes his slot, O'Toole to middle relief.

Also, new lineups vsr and vsl:

Vsr:
SS Wagner
RF Slaughter
LF Musial
1B Fielder
DH J. Rice
CF Lynn
3B Bell
C D. Rice
2B Schoendienst

Vsl:
SS Wagner
RF Slaughter
DH J. Rice
1B Fielder
CF Lynn
LF Carey
3B Bell
C D. Rice
2B Hemus

e: I vote for Option A

gardenald fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jan 24, 2013

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
Lineup
1. Brett Butler - CF
2. Rogers Hornsby - 2B
3. Stan Musial - RF
4. Hank Aaron - LF
5. Joe Torre - C
6. Julio Franco - SS
7. Steve Garvey - 1B
8. Frank Baker - 3B
9. Pitcher

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!
Well, that went better than expected... Is Snider suffering from any stat drops after his injury? If not, Snider to CF, Moseby to the bench! As well, The Chosen Dunn moves to LF, Simmons to the Bench, Grace to 1B. Delahanty to SS, Cabrera to the bench, HoJo to DH. And finally, bring in The Saint to cover 3B.

Also, A!

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

ForeverBWFC posted:

Well, that went better than expected... Is Snider suffering from any stat drops after his injury? If not, Snider to CF, Moseby to the bench! As well, The Chosen Dunn moves to LF, Simmons to the Bench, Grace to 1B. Delahanty to SS, Cabrera to the bench, HoJo to DH. And finally, bring in The Saint to cover 3B.

Also, A!

Snider is still a week away from being healthy.

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Snider is still a week away from being healthy.

Then remove that part I guesss :eng99:

ForeverBWFC fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jan 24, 2013

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
Hey Smasher, if you ever need someone to write an update sometime, I could pitch in if you send me the screens.

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007
Expansion Cup VIII - July

Moscow Daily News posted:

MCQUEEN LEAGUE TAKES ALL-STAR GAME 7-4 AS MONATHIN GETS CRAZIER

Moscow, ID - Now I understand why the Super-League has shied away from the traditional All-Star festivities in recent years, as the word that could best describe what occurred in Moscow over the last few days is "chaos".

It started with the reveal that Pedro Martinez, who had just recently entered the Expansion Cup for the Miami Manatees, was to make the pitching staff on a mindboggling 0.26 ERA in over 200 innings pitched, according to his stat sheet. When multiple owners cried foul, citing the physical impossibility of such a statline, McQueen League owner Monathin would only state "Anything is possible with Timelord Perry! ANYTHING! With him on my side, I'll reveal Grinnblade for the fraud he is! I'll show you! You'll see!"

As that mess was sorted out, Barry Bonds of the CERN Colliders would go on to win the Home Run Derby with an impressive 24 home runs over three rounds, narrowly beating out Omaha's Alex Rodriguez in the final round.

Then, finally, came time for the game itself. The Nowhere Men's Roger Clemens took the mound and shut down the Taggart League in the first inning, a performance matched by Taggart League starter Herb Pennock of the Colliders. Both men returned to the mound for the second inning, where Clemens would give up 1 run and Pennock 2 to make the score McQueen 2, Taggart 1 at the end of two innings. Then, in a move that is still controversial, the Manatees' Pedro Martinez took the mound for the McQueen League in the top of the third, giving up one run to make the game tied heading into the bottom of the third, where Stan Coveleski would give up two runs to the McQueen League to make the score 4-2.

Here's where things REALLY got weird. Taking advantage of the opportunity to put in a pinch hitter, the McQueen League decided to let Jacksonville Jobbers catcher Chris Hoiles pinch hit for Pedro Martinez, where he promptly lined out to end the inning. However, instead of another pitcher coming out to pitch for the McQueen League in the 4th inning, to the surprise of all in attendance, a confused-looking Hoiles came out to the mound. Even more shocking: Hoiles completed the inning in 13 pitches, his lone misstep being a solo shot by Derek Jeter of the Forgettables.

The rest of the game would be fairly uninteresting, with the McQueen League squashing the spirit of the Taggart League on a 3-run bottom of the sixth to bring the game to its final score of 7-4. When asked after the game about the confusion in regards to Hoiles, Catastrophes owner Monathin said "Then how did I know what you were going to say before you said it, hmm?" to the confused press. This statement was then explained by Harvard Elites owner Mooseontheloose bursting into the room, screaming "FOR THE LAST TIME, GAYLORD PERRY IS NOT A TIME LORD, AND EVEN IF HE WAS, THAT DOESN'T MAKE CHRIS HOILES A GOOD PITCHER!" Monathin would only smile smugly as Moose continued his tirade.

With the win, the McQueen League earns home-field advantage in the Expansion Cup Championship Series.

South Park Gazette posted:

JOBBERS DEFEAT PANDAS 11-5, STILL FAR BEHIND IN DIVISIONAL RACE

South Park, CO - In a battle featuring two McQueen League teams that just can't seem to break through in their divisions, the Jacksonville Jobbers overpowered the Sad Pandas today on the back of a 2-homer, 7-run eighth inning.

Both starters had relatively shaky outings, with the Jobbers' Johan Santana only lasting 6 innings and the Pandas' Max Lanier only going 5. The score going into the eighth was all tied up at 4 a piece, with the Pandas sending Lou Warneke back out to the mound to start his second inning in relief. However, the Jobbers seemed ready for Warneke, as a Gary Sheffield single drove in Carlos Beltran after he doubled and reached third on a passed ball during Sheffield's at-bat. Sheffield would then get to come home as Harmon Killebrew smashed a first-pitch curveball over the centerfield fence for two more runs. Pander would leave Warneke on the mound, and at first it seemed Warneke would be able to recover as Frank Howard grounded to first. However, three straight singles would bring the fourth run of the inning across, and after a miracle catch by Gil McDougald for the second out, Pander finally relented and sent out Howie Pollet in relief.

It was certainly a relief for the Jobbers' Rod Carew, who proceeded to belt the first pitch he saw from Pollet into the left field stands for three more runs. The rally would finally end when Gary Sheffield would strike out swinging while attempting to bring home Carlos Beltran, who had hit another double in his second at-bat of the inning. The Pandas would score one run in the bottom of the inning, but the Jobbers bullpen would keep a lid on the rally, and the game would end with the score of Jobbers 11, Pandas 5.

Jobbers owner Armitage was pleasantly surprised after the game. "Man, it feels good to get a win, even if this team is destined to make the Nowhere Men and the Cougars look good by taking a beating more often than not. But hey, it's a paycheck, and maybe eventually they'll see fit to give us a push!"

Meanwhile, in the Pandas locker room, Lou Warneke and Howie Pollet were forced to attend a seminar held by the Bad Pitch Panda, who would repeatedly insist that leaving first-pitch curves over the center of the plate made him "a sad panda".

Stats and Analysis

Analysis
I dunno, maybe give Horner a shot at 3B?

Analysis
Darryl Strawberry is not working out.

Analysis
Not bad output from guys you only put in to spell your sore starters.

Analysis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L2lMjr0fNo

Hopefully TimeGaylord Perry settles down a bit for you. Also, while I'm here, I'll explain the joke: When I was putting in Mr. Perry, Mogul attempted to have him debut in 1994 and retire in 1983. Yeahhhhh.

Analysis
You know what you're doing far better than I do, so even if I had anything to say you probably already knew that.

Analysis
It's not a bad team. You're just in the meatgrinder that is the ML Barreta.

Analysis
Well that worked out better than expected :stare: -- now to watch as the universe restores itself next month.

Analysis
Maybe Jim Kaat needs to be replaced, I don't know what else to say at this point.

Analysis
Am I imagining things, or did you have me move Grace to leadoff for this month? And if I'm not imagining things, why is Sandberg back at leadoff? :iiam:

Analysis
Yeah, that bit I put in about 0.26 ERA? Not a joke. For some reason, the game decided that Pedro had shattered all Major League records if you looked at his stats in the Pitching window. I don't know HOW, but the game had prepopulated his "This Season" stats, so I had to go back and put in his actual data before I took these screens.

Analysis
A little bit of work on your lineup either through the draft, or trading, or just going back to your feeders might well make this team into a contender come SLIX.

Analysis
Catching. CATCHING. Catching. Also Reggie Smith.

Analysis
You're right, putting a joke pitcher into your SP1 slot can't POSSIBLY fail! Except, you know, the exact opposite.

Analysis
You know, looking at your team I have no idea why you're doing so badly. It may possibly just be that you're stuck in the TL Downing with CERN and Omaha, though.

Analysis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHyGakg3Ts0

Analysis
Starting pitching. STARTING PITCHING. Starting pitching.

Analysis
Buddy Bell seems to be warming up a bit. And honestly, the way your division is going you can afford to let him readjust slowly.

Analysis
Frank Tanana seems to be the weak link in your rotation at this point.

Division Standings and League Leaders

Grinnblade fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jan 24, 2013

Ginge
Sep 8, 2011

Well, Chippy is already my favourite character!
A.

I feel like Jon Matlack shouldn't be anywhere near as effective as he has been, for both the Daydreamers and the Rakers.

Call Downing back up for Shotton. The only change in the rotation is to flip Candelaria and Darwin for comparison purposes - Tanana hasn't been good, but you have to hold out hope that you eventually get the Skyhawk version, and my awful defense might be a factor in his level of play.

Lineups:

DH Ty Cobb
2B Max Bishop (vs LHP)/Eddie Collins (vs RHP)
CF Al Simmons
1B Jimmie Foxx
LF Brian Downing
3B Jimmie Dykes
SS Del Pratt
C Mickey Cochrane
RF Baby Doll Jacobson

I think I know where my dispersal picks are going now (SS, SP, RF, SS in that order), although I'm open to offers as ever.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
So, if I am reading this right, my defense is loving over Eddie Plank?

Bograt
Nov 4, 2009

MagNIFicent

gently caress it. Live dangerously. Move to a 4-man pitching rotation until Fernando is fighting fit again. ...I'm sure I'm going to regret this.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo's assistant of the Super-League.

Let's get my heavy hitters back into the lineup:

Greenberg back to LF, McCovey to 1B, Cepeda to DH. Let's rest Gehringer by giving Larry Doyle a shot at 2B.

For pitching:
Switch Sailor Stroud with Tommy Bridges.

Lineup:
Fox RF
Mays CF
Greenberg LF
McCovey 1B
Cepeda DH
Doyle 2B
Kuenn 3B
York C
Fletcher SS

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.

Swap the Danny's in the rotation, putting Danny Haren at SP#5 and relegating Danny Hudson to the minors

Deck chairs, Titanic, etc.

GrickleGrass
Dec 18, 2011

I speak for the trees.

Just to make sure my line-ups are as follows, right? My defense in the update was set correctly (with Palmeiro in LF, etc.), but the line-up was the old one-- is this just quirk with the screenshots? Just curious why the display is the way it is (with Henderson still leading off, etc.), everything else appears correct.

LINE-UP [DH] RHP and LHP
1. Alex Rodriguez (SS) R
2. John Olerud (1B) L
3. Ken Griffey Jr. (CF) L
4. Rafael Palmeiro (LF) L
5. Edgar Martinez (DH) R
6. Larry Walker (RF) L
7. Ivan Rodriguez (C) R
8. Robin Ventura (3B) L
9. Julio Franco (2B) R

LINE-UP [NO DH] RHP and LHP
1. Alex Rodriguez (SS) R
2. John Olerud (1B) L
3. Ken Griffey Jr. (CF) L
4. Edgar Martinez (3B) R
5. Rafael Palmeiro (LF) L
6. Larry Walker (RF) L
7. Ivan Rodriguez (C) R
8. Julio Franco (2B) R
9. Pitcher

Just making sure my line-ups are set correctly.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

I thought I had Grace at Lead off for two months now. But that don't matter to much. Could sort term hurts throw the line up out of wack as the sim engine puts in replacements? Anyways...

Lineup Changes
1. Grace - 1B
2. Cavarretta - LF
3. Pafko - CF
4. Glaus -3B
5. Sandburg - 2B
6. Dawson -RF
7. Dunston -SS
8. Molina - C ( 5 on 1 for Joey G.)
9. Salmon - DH (as needed.)

No rest for these bums until we have a winning record.

Bullpen

Mitch Williams to CL
Percival to SU

Chipman down to the AAA

ScottyJSno fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jan 25, 2013

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

Mornacale posted:

Hey Smasher, if you ever need someone to write an update sometime, I could pitch in if you send me the screens.

Getting the screens together is most of the work, really, but I'll take it under consideration.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Mooseontheloose posted:

So, if I am reading this right, my defense is loving over Eddie Plank?

In short yes, though do note that his ERA is still better than league averages.

A few factors are in play:

A) Yeah, against your team the BABIP is .321, while the league average is .313. You're also way better than the Rakers chasing Men, who are one of the worst defensive teams in baseball history. But still that's not great defense - your not the dervishes or anything.

The cause can easily be seen by looking at your actual infielders: Nap Lajoie makes a lot of errors, Bobby Bonilla is a right fielder pretending to be a third baseman (check out that fielding percentage), and Templeton didn't really have knees that worked. Your first base guy is good though! Don't overstate this factor, whatever Bobby loses with his glove he gets back by mashing the gently caress out of baseballs.

B) Your pitching staff is very ground-ball focused, which means that your infield defense is disproportional tested compared to your outfielders

C) DICE is cacluated by looking at HRs, Strikeouts and Walks, with a side helping of BABIP for everything else.

Eddie Plank is basically Tommy John - a soft throwing left hander who doesn't walk anyone and doesn't give up any home runs, but people frequently put hard hit balls into play against him. This changes the usefulness of DICE when evaluating him - if you never walk anyone, don't strike anyone out and never give up any home runs, your DICE is basically the product of guys hitting .300 against you, and your actual ERA is massively impacted by the quality of the defence behind you.

Bill James said these guys are good because once you take away the walk, the home run and the extra base hit it takes a lot of singles to beat you, but these guys need a defense that can take hard hit balls in the infield and convert them into outs, and bad teams cannot do this.

That probably doesn't account for everything though, some of it is just luck. Is your team slugger focused? With Waddell and Plank as your one-two punch, you're probably well advised to let the groundskeepers grow the grass in your infield a bit longer to take the speed off hard hit balls to short, and maybe try picking up one of the spare ozzie smiths floating around, or altenatively it might be wise to look for opportunities to replace your two left handers at the front of the rotation with modern strikeout pitchers.

Amusing note: The ideal combination for a team is modern infielders - think Joe Morgan - with deadball pitchers or old timey hitters and all bat not gloves guys like Bonilla, Fielder and Cabrera with modern pitching.

Don't try deadball pitchers with guys like Cabrera, you will come unstuck very quickly.

Cthulhu's guide to doctoring your grounds

In addition to the fences, you have 5 variables that you can control:

Infield Quality (Poor / Fair / Average / Good / Excellent)

- Basically reduces your error rate in the infield. Using deadball infielders and pitchers? Improve your ground quality to ensure that the ground balls to short and second base as converted to outs. Similarly, if you're using modern infielders and pitchers who don't live on the ground ball to short, consider degrading that infield.

Infield Grass (Very Short / Short / Medium / High / Very high)

- Short grass improves batting averages as balls zip past the infielders, but also improves double plays because it gives the infielders more time once they've got to it. A team of good defending slap hitters should cut the grass short, and a team of portly sluggers should let it grow a bit.

Visibility (Poor / Fair / Average / Good / Excellent)

- Strikeout rate: Poor visibility increases strikeouts by 14% and excellent visibility increases it by 14%. If your pitching stuff is punchless, help out those hitters.

Foul Ground (Tiny / Small / Average / Large / Huge)

- Bigger Foul grounds means you can convert foul balls into outs much more effectively. The more punchless your pitching staff is the bigger the benefit, but this surpressing hitting across the board and is the biggest change you can make.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jan 25, 2013

Pete Ladd
Mar 9, 2012

quote:

Analysis
You know, looking at your team I have no idea why you're doing so badly. It may possibly just be that you're stuck in the TL Downing with CERN and Omaha, though.

Don't you soften the blow!

Well, turns out penguin-baiting is more dangerous then I thought. DL Tippy, Jhoulys, Olerud. Take Park off the DL and install him as fifth starter. Ismael Valdez up from long man to be fourth starter. Rex Brothers is the new closer, call up Denny Raiiiiinwater to short relief, Jamie Moyer to long relief. Freddy Garcia can recover as theoretical middle reliever. Call up Konerko to on-the-job training as first baseman.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Moose, instead of reading all those complicated :words: by Cthulhu, instead just trade me Eddie Plank!

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Smasher Leauge Week 20 Injury Report

Cuba Smokers
Jim Konstanty (RP) (More like Kan't stant he, right? Man, you try to come up with something interesting about Jim Konstanty!) - 21 days

Luna Landers
Jack Lapp (C) (Still technically on your roster) - 18 days

Saturn Biosparks
Greg Maddux (SP) (I do at least have some good news for you. I'll tell you about it later) - 14 days

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Mornacale posted:

Moose, instead of reading all those complicated :words: by Cthulhu, instead just trade me Eddie Plank!

You said mean things to me. So no.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Mooseontheloose posted:

You said mean things to me. So no.

Rude as hell. :smith:

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Super-League VIII, Dynamo League Week 20: Ships Passing in the Night

Games of the Week

Don May posted:

GENERICS EDGE BLOGGERS 7-6, MORNACALE FUMES

Rochester- Clearly, everything is rigged against the Bloggers.

The Bloggers had a chance to win this game, as they scored three runs in the top of the ninth inning, and were within one run with only one out in the inning, with two runners on base. But then Kirby Puckett made an ill-advised attempt to take an extra base on a single to left field, trying to advance from first to third, and was easily mowed down as Goose Goslin made the quick throw to third for the out.

That was the second out of the inning, and left the Bloggers with only one baserunner at first. Robin Yount attempted to keep the inning going with a single, but then Andrew McCutchen grounded out to allow the Generics to scrape by with a 7-6 win, despite their best efforts to lose the game.

kw0134, whose Generics are an unending source of misery for the people of Rochester, was excited that, for once, his team's sucking did not lead to another devastating loss. He told reporters that, "I was sure that Trevor Hoffman would blow it. I mean, the Bloggers are a decent team, and we suck, so I thought we were toast, especially after he gave up three runs that quickly. But then Puckett made that stupid run to third, which was a Generic-esque move, I've got to say, and we somehow made it work. You know, thinking back on it, I'm not sure that we won so much as they lost, especially given their ah...defensive adventures today, but hey, you know what, it worked, and we won, and it all counts the same in the standings anyway. Good win, and..." kw0134 spaced out for a minute, absent-mindedly banging his fist on his podium to a beat that only he could hear "Oh, I am starting to feel it. Sorry, but I dropped some x right before this press conference started, because I was feeling good, and really wanted to take that to the next level and...gently caress this, let's rave!"

These chemically-induced good feelings did not reach to the visitor's locker room where Mornacale, the mildly demented owner of the Bloggers, could not accept being beaten by the Generics, "Morncale did not lose! Mornacale was cheated! Is not good! Is not right! Smasher hate Mornacale! Cheat him of Intercontinental Title! Break his Bonds! Make Mornacale feel sad! Mornacale loves the Super-League! Offers to run Super-League for Smasher! Smasher laughs at Mornacale, laughs at Mornacale's brilliant spreadsheets, mocks Mornacale's perfect lineups, makes Mornacale lose to Chuck Finley! Mornacale will have his revenge! Bonds is back! Everyone pays! Everyone! Except Mornacale. Mornacale does not pay."

GAME NOTES

-"Thunder" Jim Delahanty had two errors on the day, because for all of Mornacale's plans, having him start a 2B was somehow thought of as a good idea.

-Also, I bet Mornacale blames me for this brain-dead AI picking Luis Aparicio as a pinch-hitter.

Box Score

Don May posted:

NO TEAM CAN STOP THE COBURNS, COBS BEAT BULLDOGS 7-6

Fort Sumner- The Coburns are coming.

The Bulldogs survived last season. They probably shouldn't have, but they did. And, while they aren't playing well this season either, they still have a decent shot at surviving another Gauntlet. Unless they run into the Coburns, at least.

The game was tied 5-5 in the top of the tenth, and the Bulldogs were looking to steal another win, and when Frank Robinson hit a home run on the first pitch of the inning, it looked like they just might do that, even though the rest of their offense came up empty. In between innings, Warm Sarsaparilla came to the center of the field with a small sack in one hand, and a chalice in the other. He then began to pray, though his words could not be made out for the most part. In a sort of mystic trance, Sarsaparilla dug up a little ground and placed it in the sack, which he then set aflame before putting it in the chalice, which was filled with water. To conclude the ceremony, Sarsaparilla cut open his palm, allowing a few sprinkles of blood to mix into the wet ashes. He then buried the concoction under the center field dirt.

Whatever the meaning of that ritual, it appeared to work. Jimmie Foxx led off the inning with a single, and then Williams walked to put runners on first and second with no outs. Noted hero Barry Larkin then slapped a single into left to tie the game and put runners and the corner, still with no outs. At that point, it was only a matter of time before the Bulldogs lost the game, which happened two batters later on a Eric Davis single.

Asked what it was he did before the fateful inning, Warm Sarsaparilla was evasive, "I did what had to be done. I brought his light into the world. Praise Coburn." Pressed by reporters, Warm Sarsaparilla only added, "Destiny is at hand. Time is nearly over, and the new empire stretches before us. No men need be losers for much longer..."

TKBomber, the thrice-indicted owner of the Bulldogs, also cryptic words to share with the media, "A man as smart as me isn't lacking for escape plans. No, when the Bulldogs fall, and it seems like they will, I have a plan to fly away from all of this...on the wings of a skyhawk. A man like me always will land on his feet."

GAME NOTES

-See the Coburns lineup? That's how you build a lineup.

-See the Bulldogs lineup? See how they only drew one walk over ten innings? That's not how you build a lineup.

Box Score

No one man should have have all those titles...

: And welcome back to the latest installment of Marauder: Portrait of Super-League Killer. And also welcome back to Eri Yoshida, who, as part of the Super-League Characters' Guild, has successfully challenged my termination of her and brought the matter before a arbitrator...who ruled against me.
: When the union's inspiration through the worker's blood shall run/There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun!/Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one?/But the union makes us strong!
: drat Illinois for not enacting a right-to-work statute! Well, the Tornados are here, and they'd like to take as many of the Bangers' titles as they can carry. But Nolan Ryan will throw a complete game, and that will end the Tornados' hopes of getting the Intercontinental, U.S. or European titles.

: And the Bangers win big, and they'll keep the Hardcore Title for their fifth straight defense of that title, a new record.
: Hard to say how worried the Tornados should be by this series, they're not doing great, but it's only three games.

: And the Tornados will avoid the sweep.
: Kind of a moral victory, but they'll probably take it. It's worth noting that they'll be able to stack their lineup in the postseason in a way they don't in regular season games. At least, that's what UltimoDragonQuest is probably hoping.

: Second defense will be against the Imperialists.
: They haven't had a good season, but they did sweep the Bangers a couple of months back to win a couple of titles, so they might be able to do it again.
: No, they won't, because Addie Joss will get a complete game. The Imperialists are only playing for the Hardcore Title, either.

: And the Bangers will not even let them get that with another win.
: The important thing is that they tried!

: Yeah, that's not important, and the Imperialists will get swept by Marauder, too.
: Brutal.
: loving union.

: Well, the Bangers have beaten just about every elite team in the Dynamo League. The Coburns, the Tornados, the Unicorns...but now it's time for them to face their final test: the team that knocked them from the playoffs last season, the Rockford Losers! And then there will be either Bangers-Generics, or Losers-Unicorns.

Team Statistics

Analysis

Mel Ott and Mickey Cochrane constitute about 110% of your offense.

That's right, everyone else is basically a negative.

Analysis

If the season ended today, I think the Unspecifieds would make the playoffs on a tie-breaker.

Analysis

Doing a bit better this month, although we're well past the point where that will save them from the Gauntlet.

Analysis

The Bangers and Unicorns in a row were a tough draw for anyone, but you would have liked to have won at least one of those series.

Analysis

You need to make sure you don't rest your best players in weeks where you'll face the Unspecifieds, because that final wildcard spot will probably come down to the two of you.

Analysis

Nothing can stop the Coburns. Nothing. But Seaver should probably take the injured Lee's place in the rotation.

Analysis

Billingsley's second start was better, in that he won, but he didn't really pitch all that much more effectively.

Analysis

The Oranges have been in a state of ennui for a while now.

Analysis

Monicro, again, you're a good dude. But your team is not full of good dudes, and they just don't hit enough to survive.

Analysis

Invincible!

Analysis

A team that is going to survive thanks to gumption, grit, and sheer, dumb luck.

Analysis

When I say that your offense is bad, I mean it.

Then again, as part of my plans for Super-League X, you will get control of the Skyhawks for a special tournament next season anyway.

Analysis

What more can be said?

Analysis

The Coburns are a-coming, and you have a tough week up next. You might just lose your division lead by next update.

Analysis

I know that you feel like you're dead, but your team still has some life left in it. Don't give up.

Also, the Space Jam is ready again.

Analysis

Bonds is back!

You're five games out of the last playoff spot with six weeks left. Let's see how good your team really is. Although they'll almost certainly get another shot next season.

Standings and Leaders

Playoff/Gauntlet Picture

A. Accept this unlikely, ragtag band of heroes and save all of the universes! - 6 votes

B. Demand a better team! - 1 vote

C. Obligatory Gyros option! - 7 votes

"You know what, Marauder?" Mark Grace had had enough of this bullshit, "gently caress you, gently caress whatever the gently caress this crisis is, gently caress the universe, I've had a very long day, and I want a loving gyros already!"

Marauder seemed shocked by the sheer banality of Grace's request, but spoke with a certain amount of bemusement, "A gyros? You want a gyros? A rather petty request, Mark Grace, surely you could-"

"I'm hearing a lot of words, Marauder, but I'm not hearing a lot of gyros meat being sliced up, and you might want to get on that if you want me to save your universe, or universes, or whatever."

Marauder rolled his eyes, this was stupid, "Very well, Mark, you will get your gyros. All I need do is-" Before Marauder could complete that sentence, alarms started blaring and red warning lights came on all over the ship.

"Mother-fucker!" Mark Grace did not like where this was heading, "I don't suppose those are loving klaxons celebrating the deliciousness of my loving gyros, are they?"

"No, Mark Grace, the gyros alarms have a much lower pitch to them! Quickly, there is no time, you and your team must split up to protect three worlds under attack by the great enemy, the-"

"Is it the Anti-Marauder?" Yoshida, who was apparently tired to just standing around and watching people argue about gyros, "Because, you know, he's against Marauder, and also because it kind of sounds like the Ant-Monitor..."

"There's no time for that!" Marauder screamed, "Quickly, Mark Grace, pick two members of the team to take with you back to Earth-2, where the Governor-General's House is under attack from a horde of Bernie Williams! Evil Bernie Williams!"

DECISION TIME

Choose TWO members of the team to take with you!

-Eri Yoshida

-St. Mark Bellhorn

-Johnny Hopp

-The Chosen Dunn

-Rance Mullinix

-El Greco Hombre!

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Yoshida and the Saint and the chosen Dunn too!

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007
Yoshida and Hopp. :getin:

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Dunn has to be the secondary fire team leader, so that leaves Saint Bellhorn and Yoshida for our squad.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

:siren: Al McBean Watch, presented by God-King/King-God Barrold Lamar Bonds I :siren:

Another typical 2.1 IP, 4 K, 0 R week for Perennial Rolaids Reliever of the Year Candidate Al McBean. Mr McBean has now amassed 12.2 IP, 22 K, and of course his customary 0.00 ERA. Can you blame him?

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jan 26, 2013

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

Dunn and Bellhorn!

Also, I'm looking to move 2011 David Ortiz for a righty/switch-hitting bat. Any position, really, but someone who might be able to play the outfield couldn't hurt. Get at me with offers if you're interested.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Hombre and Dunn

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

NEW LINEUPS

Vs RHP

1. 2B: Jose Vidro ('04 Expos)
2. 1B: Nick Johnson ('04 Expos)
3. CF: Mickey Mantle ('54 Yanks)
4. RF: Stan Musial ('42 Cardinals)
5. LF: Enos Slaughter ('42 Cardinals)
6. C: Yogi Berra ('54 Yanks)
7. DH: Walker Cooper ('54 Yanks)
8. 3B: Gil McDonald ('54 Yanks)
9. SS: Marty Marion ('42 Cardinals)

Vs LHP

1. 2B: Jose Vidro ('04 Expos)
2. 3B: Gil McDonald ('54 Yanks)
3. 1B: Stan Musial ('42 Cardinals)
4. CF: Mickey Mantle ('54 Yanks)
5. C: Walker Cooper ('42 Cardinals)
6. DH: Yogi Berra
7. LF: Gene Woodling ('54 Cardinals)
8. RF: Bob Cerv ('54 Yanks)
9. SS: Orlando Cabrera ('42 Cardinals)

Pitching: Oh god. Oh god. Oh god :(

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Monathin posted:

Dunn has to be the secondary fire team leader, so that leaves Saint Bellhorn and Yoshida for our squad.

As the resident everything I am in the chat I am obligated to vote this

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

Put Williams and Dawson back into the lineup, in place of O'Doul and Raines. For the obit, Yoshida and Bellhorn.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
Put a Traynor/Brett platoon in at 3B for Baker.

Voting Yoshida and Hopp, the ultimate co-commentating duo.

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010

Let's prepare for our week against the Sic Transit Vir...

First, re-instating our rested starters. New lineup vs RHP:
3B Frisch
LF Speaker
1B Thomas
CF Charleston
C Torre/Martinez
RF Robinson
SS Cronin
2B Alomar
P Pitcher

Second, let's recall Bedrosian from the DL and send Hernandez back to the minors.

Third, rearranging my shameful bullpen hoping to improve that raging mess:
CL Smoltz
SU Bedrosian
SR Myers
SR Wetteland
MR Rhodes
LR Sabathia

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
http://lpix.org/1036189/Team16-ABanner.PNG

4 games under my Pythag because I can't quit losing 1-run games to sub-.500 teams. Both a good and bad sign at the same time. That said, Barry's back, so it's time to cross my fingers, hope his ratings damage hasn't hurt too much, and put up or shut up.

Spreadsheet. Changes include:
- Barry returns from the dead, knocking Jim Delahanty back to AAA for his insolence. The lineup shuffles around, of course.
- Switch whichever of my C's is best against LHP to personally catch Lolich and Hendrix, the other one gets the other three SPs.
- Lots of slider changes, mostly to reflect the improved lineup.
- Could you move Andruw Jones to AAA? Send down Gorman or something if you have to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
Yoshida and Johnny loving Hopp