Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Achmed Jones posted:

Reaper paints would be swell! As would an iOS version (if that's feasible).

Another vote for adding Reaper, and I eagerly await the website.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
If you had flat square bases (i.e. not the hollow GW ones), how would you magnetize them? I am sort of waffling between buying sheet magnet to attach on the bottoms, or drilling holes in the bases and glue rare earth magnets in them. Anyone who has tried both or done some kind of cost/efficiency comparison?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

serious gaylord posted:

Well the all of the gold bar Tyrion is done with GW's Balthasar Gold, Reikland Fleshshade, Gehennas Gold and Auric Armour. Its really really simple.

How do the new Golds compare to the old ones? I only ask as I know you did that really nice set of Sanguinary guards.

Pilgrimski
Apr 23, 2008

lilljonas posted:

If you had flat square bases (i.e. not the hollow GW ones), how would you magnetize them? I am sort of waffling between buying sheet magnet to attach on the bottoms, or drilling holes in the bases and glue rare earth magnets in them. Anyone who has tried both or done some kind of cost/efficiency comparison?

Depends what you are trying to do. If you want to magnetise to get things like unit movement trays set up with all the models stuck on then the very best way I know is this:

Use magnetic tape on the bottom of the bases, you can get it in up to 10m length and it has a sticky backing. Really easy to use and cut with a knife.

http://www.hfminis.co.uk/shop?product=1m-of-20mm-width-magnetic-tape~hftape201&category=accessories~magnetic-basing

Then put rubber steel sheet on the tray you want it to stick to.

Something like: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rubber-St...=item416804f304

That all works out at a little more than 5p per model, depending on how much you buy in bulk, and pay for in postage. The bond is strong enough to keep plastic models (warhammer empire troops) attached whilst upside down.

Don't use two sets of magnetic strip, I tried that and had terrible problems with trying to rank units up, they kept jumping around.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
I'm going to be writing a (light hearted) view of how females models are sculpted and presented, and how I (as a girly painter) feel about them and which models I like. If you guys have painted any female/feminine models or anything with a girly theme then I would love to showcase it on my bloggins.

Or even if you know any good/awful examples of female models that I may not have come across yet, that would be great if you could point me towards them. (I've already had loads of people go OMG kingdom death, and I've actually written about why I like most of their range and don't find it sexist for most of the models. )

I hope you guys don't mind me asking when I write articles, I do my own research too. I just figure that some of you are so nerdy (and old) that you'll know stuff I wouldn't be able to find. :)

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

The WarmaHordes range seems to simultaneously be inclusive (I've seen more women in their range than any other range) and pretty objectifying (Most of them aren't wearing very much).

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Reaper has this habit of making "urban legends" versions of models that are just naked versions of the same mini

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

signalnoise posted:

Reaper has this habit of making "urban legends" versions of models that are just naked versions of the same mini

It makes sense that nerds would think a naked lady was an urban legend.

Buffalo squeeze
Dec 19, 2010

Oh noble brogy. Overflowing with meaty wisdom and secret sauce.
I'm pretty sure a wargaming blog did just that not too long ago, but I can't remember which. It was an entertaining read though.

Edit: VVVV

Buffalo squeeze fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jan 25, 2013

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Lethemonster posted:

I'm going to be writing a (light hearted) view of how females models are sculpted and presented, and how I (as a girly painter) feel about them and which models I like. If you guys have painted any female/feminine models or anything with a girly theme then I would love to showcase it on my bloggins.

Or even if you know any good/awful examples of female models that I may not have come across yet, that would be great if you could point me towards them. (I've already had loads of people go OMG kingdom death, and I've actually written about why I like most of their range and don't find it sexist for most of the models. )

I hope you guys don't mind me asking when I write articles, I do my own research too. I just figure that some of you are so nerdy (and old) that you'll know stuff I wouldn't be able to find. :)

I wrote a a blog post about sexism in Infinity miniatures, specifically focused on female models that were radically sexualised compared to the male version of the exact same troop type. There's a bunch of examples there you could check out.

Sexism in miniature - The worst of Infinity

The followup is about the ones they actually get right.

Sexism in miniature part 2 - It's not all bad

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jan 25, 2013

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I wrote a a blog post about sexism in Infinity miniatures, specifically focused on female models that were radically sexualised compared to the male version of the exact same troop type. There's a bunch of examples there you could check out.

Sexism in miniature - The worst of Infinity

The followup is about the ones they actually get right.

Sexism in miniature part 2 - It's not all bad

These are good posts, glad someone did the write-up. I highlighted a similar problem with the Moblot minis in the Infinity thread a while back.

e; those comments on the first article, though. :allears:

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jan 25, 2013

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

Lemon Curdistan posted:

These are good posts, glad someone did the write-up. I highlighted a similar problem with the Moblot minis in the Infinity thread a while back.

e; those comments on the first article, though. :allears:

'We're not objectifying women here, just objects made to look like women. No cross over here, no sir'.

I'm rethinking my next article, just reading up on people's opinions of these models is making me feel angry.

Hahaha, 'They aren't alienating 50% of a potential buyer base - women don't buy these figures already!!!' Good god.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Lethemonster posted:

Hahaha, 'They aren't alienating 50% of a potential buyer base - women don't buy these figures already!!!' Good god.

Yeah I just gave up on answering comments directly pretty quickly because what do say to things like that?

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Your post did two things to me:
1) made me feel sad that I didn't go with the Lasiq model for my Vindicare assassin stand-in.
2) made me feel kinda guilty for going with this model instead. :(

Pilgrimski
Apr 23, 2008
I'm still plodding away on my Necromunda terrain, my order from http://terrainmat.com/ arrived today.

I also got a starscape one for X-Wing

The urban one looks great, but might be a bit fragile, some of the stuff on it is paint and other bits are modelled on flock type things. As with anything like that, some brushes off. Time will tell how durable it is. Although for £35 each I'm very pleased.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
So, I got that quick disconnect plug someone recommended, and it doesn't fit on the Sotar at all. Neither does the hose I have, though it's the hose that came with the compressor and not the actual Badger hose that is in the mail. Does the Sotar have a non-standard Badger connector or am I doing something wrong?

In other words - I have a QD adapter that is too big to fit the Sotar and too small to fit the cheapo Master that came with my compressor. So...what is it for, exactly?

JoshTheStampede fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jan 25, 2013

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Digital Jesus posted:

I'm so tempted to pull the trigger on that Sotar 2020, but it's out of stock. If I order it now at this price, will they still honor that price when it comes back into stock (even if the price has gone back up)? I haven't used Amazon a lot. I'm tempted to order that and the Minitaire set via ship2me or shipito.

or Just buy the medium one, it comes with Medium sized needles instead (which is what you want for Acrylics anyway)
Otherwise you will end up spending around the same getting the parts to swap out to a medium needle.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003976L5E/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00
(this was $95 two days ago)

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Sole.Sushi posted:

Your post did two things to me:
1) made me feel sad that I didn't go with the Lasiq model for my Vindicare assassin stand-in.
2) made me feel kinda guilty for going with this model instead. :(

The horrible thing about the Hexas is that it'd be a pretty great model if it wasn't for the "upskirt" bit. If the trenchcoat laid flat, she'd be a good match with the male Hexas.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Signal posted:

The horrible thing about the Hexas is that it'd be a pretty great model if it wasn't for the "upskirt" bit. If the trenchcoat laid flat, she'd be a good match with the male Hexas.

What? There's no "upskirt" - the model is wearing pants. It's not like an rear end shot, It's just awesome trenchcoat effect. I think people were referring to the model wearing heeled boots.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
I dunno. The open coat and spread legs immediately draw attention to her crotch.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Phyresis posted:

I dunno. The open coat and spread legs immediately draw attention to her crotch.

This is the problem I have with the model. I'm hoping I can fix that in painting.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Phyresis posted:

Yeah, the focal point of the model is very clearly her groin. If I had the skill, it'd be worth taking the flap of coat on her left, and modelling it down and across her legs (where it would naturally be flowing) instead of flaring up for little reason.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Phyresis posted:

The open legs and coat immediately draw my attention to her AWESOME COAT.

It's not a sexualized or overtly feminine stance though, at least it doesn't strike me as one. You could easily make a male sniper in that same pose and not have it look bad - it practically IS the "Neo dodging bullets" stance. There's a lot of terrible stuff in Infinity but I see no problem at all with that Hexas.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Sole.Sushi posted:

This is the problem I have with the model. I'm hoping I can fix that in painting.

Yeah, the fact that it's bright red doesn't help. Symbolism much? I don't think I could play Infinity just because these models are distasteful, regardless of how few there are.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

When I get around to painting it, I'll make sure there's a distinct lack of red crotch.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
I guess I just don't see that being the focal point anyway. She has a crotch, yes. It would be weird if she didn't. But the design of the mini is that your eye is drawn down the huge rifle, across the midsection, and down the left leg to the flaring coat.

I think this is actually a very GOOD example of how you can make a female character who is clearly female, isn't showing impractical amounts of skin, is dressed appropriately for her combat role (apart from the heels, which I will grant are dumb), and is presented as just powerful and dangerous as her male counterpart would be. She's not wearing a skirt or a thong, she's not posing with her rear end in the air or showing gratuitous cleavage, she doesn't have a loving lollipop or whatever. She's wearing the same red pants the male Hexas is, if I'm not mistaken.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

The sculptor could easily have made the coat open a little lower on the model. It seems like a deliberate design decision.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Phyresis posted:

The sculptor could easily have made the coat open a little lower on the model. It seems like a deliberate design decision.

No, a long fitted coat like that would restrict movement a great deal if it was buttoned down to below the hips. The design decision (I assume) was to make her wear something that looked badass and cyberpunk but still looked like it would allow all the running jumping climbing tokyo parkour poo poo that snipers need to do.

I just don't think the designer, who is making a model for Infinity, a line that already has plenty of actual panty shots and cleavage and face down rear end up terrible models, sat down and said "Man, you know what will really titillate them? A female model wearing pants and a full-neck coat that covers her rear end completely!"

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

nesbit37 posted:

Pick up a $3 jar of The Masters Brush Cleaner and Preserver while you are there and watch your brushes last for practically forever.

So, how is this stuff supposed to be used? Should I wash a brush all the time, or just occasionally, after weeks/months of use? Should the lather be left on the bristles for a while to soak in?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
You use it every time you finish with that brush for the day. So not just because you put it down, but because you are done for the session. Get the brush wet, drag it towords you several time rotating the brush in the stuff, wipe off excess with your fingers and shape the tip to a point and then put it away till next time.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
There was a post about female models on BOLS. If you want to get really angry at nerds the comment section is a great read.

e: I bought an airbrush. Shame on you, awesome person who shared the Sotar 2020 deal :(

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jan 25, 2013

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

nesbit37 posted:

You use it every time you finish with that brush for the day. So not just because you put it down, but because you are done for the session. Get the brush wet, drag it towords you several time rotating the brush in the stuff, wipe off excess with your fingers and shape the tip to a point and then put it away till next time.

Beautiful, thanks.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
To clarify, if I buy the medium needle for the Sotar, do I also need the medium tip and spray regulator?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dominion posted:

To clarify, if I buy the medium needle for the Sotar, do I also need the medium tip and spray regulator?

yes to tip and needle, probably not the spray regulator

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

LumberingTroll posted:

or Just buy the medium one, it comes with Medium sized needles instead (which is what you want for Acrylics anyway)
Otherwise you will end up spending around the same getting the parts to swap out to a medium needle.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003976L5E/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00
(this was $95 two days ago)

It's far cheaper to buy the fine brush plus medium needle and tip.

I had a look at Badger's (horrible) website and it seems that they don't recommend the Sotar for acrylics. I wonder if that means anything. It doesn't say DON'T USE ACRYLICS or anything, it's just not checked on the little chart.

https://www.badgerairbrush.com/PDF/Catalog.pdf

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
One cant really say its not good for acrylics without knowing what specific paint is being sprayed. I have been running VMA all day through mine without clogs. Some of the paints they do recommend are way thicker than VMA. Maybe they mean unthinned acrylics because Im sure there are people who glob GW paints into a fine tip and wonder why its bubbling out instead of spraying.

I think its just badger erring on the side of caution. Properly thinned acrylics will be fine in the sotar fine tip

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jan 25, 2013

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Yeah I think they just mean that acrylics need to be thinned to run through the brush, as opposed to inks and washes which will just go through straight from the bottle.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Brief question:

I just finished a first later of Balor Brown (thinned with water) over a flat krylon green base paint on 27 figures. Now that the layer of brown has dried, it looks nearly imperceptible from the rest of the green miniature. It feels really discouraging that I just spent 2 hours on one layer that I can barely see. Is this right?

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Speaking of the Sotar and needles, would the medium needle suffice for basecoating or would I have to go the next step up and get the large needle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Vehicles or figures? If you want to cover the whole side of a tank in one pass even the large won't do that. I'll see about putting some videos up of the realistic sprays you can do with the sotar. I also have an iwata with the same size tip and needle as the badger large

More importantly, get an airbrush and start using it. You will figure out quickly what it can do and what else you may need

• Locked thread