Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
I swear, if they start backtracking again after this, I'll keep reading this manga, because I'm a weak person. Seriously though, fingers crossed for such things as development and things happening.

I want to see him kick bald guys head over the school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

organism
Sep 30, 2005
organism
Kinda hoping for something like this:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
I'm expecting a lot. I'm assuming he's using the same thing as against Coolguy, except this time he's not calm. I hope we get some absolutely sloppy knock down drag out brawling going on here, him just throwing himself and anything within his reach at the guy, punching clean through the hoods of cars, busting trees, complete brutality as everyone else just stares on in abject horror or runs in terror.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Mo_Steel posted:

I'm expecting a lot. I'm assuming he's using the same thing as against Coolguy, except this time he's not calm. I hope we get some absolutely sloppy knock down drag out brawling going on here, him just throwing himself and anything within his reach at the guy, punching clean through the hoods of cars, busting trees, complete brutality as everyone else just stares on in abject horror or runs in terror.

I might actually read The Breaker if this happens. I want the world to burn around him as he kicks buildings in half. You ever read World War Hulk, where Hulk is so pissed that his footsteps are literally tearing the earth apart? That's what I want.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Dickeye posted:

I might actually read The Breaker if this happens. I want the world to burn around him as he kicks buildings in half. You ever read World War Hulk, where Hulk is so pissed that his footsteps are literally tearing the earth apart? That's what I want.

I'm not sure how anyone maintains a degree of optimism about BNW at this point. Mostly people just talk about the kid being awesome and then nothing happens.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Serious Frolicking posted:

I'm not sure how anyone maintains a degree of optimism about BNW at this point. Mostly people just talk about the kid being awesome and then nothing happens.

Because we remember what happened in the first series when Shioon was actually allowed to do awesome things.

Like run so hard his legs exploded.

And then regenerated.

And then exploded again.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Hey, Shiwoon is consistently good at punching poo poo. But now he probably knows how to dodge and punch poo poo. He's basically the 9-arts dragon at this point.

I hope the manwha just time skips right now to Shiwoon in a hospital bed 2 months later when he wakes up and realizes he dismembered like 20 people and 5 captains.

chibi
Feb 11, 2004

Gearhead posted:

Because we remember what happened in the first series when Shioon was actually allowed to do awesome things.

And then regenerated.

And then exploded again.

:allears:

Man, I should really just reread Breaker and see Shioon being awesome instead of hoping it'll happen next week.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Gearhead posted:

And then regenerated.

And then exploded again.

See, that was a different manwha. You'd think that NW was simply a continuation of the original, but that isn't really true. NW is the wacky spinoff where Shioon briefly gains and then loses his ki in most arcs.

9 Arts Dragon was the most interesting character in the original, but he hasn't even been in NW, likely because he naturally overshadows the protagonist. It still doesn't really make sense that he hosed off for foreign lands. He is a korean martial artist from a society of korean martial artists. His enemies are korean martial artists who live in korea. His supporters are all korean martial artists, most of whom also live in korea. What the hell is he doing now if not trying to get revenge? Is he trying to kill all of the old bastards by thinking unkind thoughts about them from the other side of the planet?

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

See, that was a different manwha. You'd think that NW was simply a continuation of the original, but that isn't really true. NW is the wacky spinoff where Shioon briefly gains and then loses his ki in most arcs.

9 Arts Dragon was the most interesting character in the original, but he hasn't even been in NW, likely because he naturally overshadows the protagonist. It still doesn't really make sense that he hosed off for foreign lands. He is a korean martial artist from a society of korean martial artists. His enemies are korean martial artists who live in korea. His supporters are all korean martial artists, most of whom also live in korea. What the hell is he doing now if not trying to get revenge? Is he trying to kill all of the old bastards by thinking unkind thoughts about them from the other side of the planet?
It's not clear that he can actually kill all those dudes without hulking out and murdering a bunch of bystanders though. Considering what happened last time he's probably pretty reluctant about being pushed to that point. I think he's just going through with the original plan of curing Sosul (Shioon was basically a guinea pig for the operation that fixed her) and then somehow using her to destroy the murim from within beyond just killing a bunch of dudes.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I'm liking where New Waves is going. The stuff with 9 arts dragon being gone etc helps build intrigue IMO. He'll come back when his girlfriend in the hospital gets more time in the story again.

I guess I'm immune to slow pacing after sticking with Ippo for years and years.

:sigh:

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
Girls in the Wild's 73

Queen just got ultra-trolled by her brother.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
And another new chapter of Cavalier of the Abyss.

Remember how I said Ouroboros was creepy? Caladbolg is so many times worse. So many times worse than back in Immortal Regis. :ohdear:

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Special Martial Arts Extreme Hell Private High School 18. So this is what people talk about when they mention elephants in the room... :v:

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax
The Breaker: NW 102 is out.

Finally. After 102 chapters, it's happened. The longest tease of any manga I've read.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Sarcophallus posted:

The Breaker: NW 102 is out.

Finally. After 102 chapters, it's happened. The longest tease of any manga I've read.

You say that as though this is now the status quo and the manwha won't backstep away from the current development as soon as this arc is over.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

You say that as though this is now the status quo and the manwha won't backstep away from the current development as soon as this arc is over.

You gotta live in the present, bro. In the present, Shiwoon is kicking the poo poo out of cars and throwing dudes through windows and poo poo.

Scorvi
Apr 4, 2009
I want to see him kick that guy's rear end right through the entirety of the school to where the regular students are being evacuated so everyone can see. (I'm a sucker for regular people reactions to superhuman fighting).

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
I hope it ends with Shioon just slamming him around as a rag doll. Basically I want this:

We're halfway there what with Shioon taking a swing at Jinie.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Cavalier of the Abyss 65 is out.

Nowhere else have I seen someone play a shell game for THIS complicated with this much scrutiny on the things hidden under the shells by so many people in the plot and in full view of the readers.

organism
Sep 30, 2005
organism
I love Cavalier of the Abyss (and its predecessor Immortal Regis) but it is ridiculously frustrating how long they've gone without explaining some fundamental elements of the world/story. I even reread the whole thing recently just to make sure I didn't forget something or skip over an issue accidentally but nope, I read it all. Hopefully this latest flashback arc will explain at least some of the following:

1. What is the Night Clan? I mean, I get that they're followers of Caldabolg (now, anyways, even that wasn't clear until, like, 40 issues in) but we're only just now, at issue 65, illustrating that they corrupt/mutate the world around them which is why they're such a big threat. Until this issue, it was never really clear why Nex had to burn whole villages that came in contact with them.

2. Seriously, what the hell is the deal with Osky? Why even introduce him? Before my reread, I had completely forgotten about him and was wondering why Xix kept talking to the crow.

3. Why did Nex become such an rear end in a top hat? Maybe it has to do with the aforementioned plague (or whatever) spread by the Night Clan and he needs to be ruthless to deal with it? Maybe it has to do with Serin betraying him? Something to do with the Queen's underhanded plotting to become Queen? And that brings us to the last point...

4. Why did Serin betray him or what did she do that he considered betrayal (may not have been an intentional betrayal)? This is the biggest one that they've been teasing out forever and I get that this will probably be the end-game mystery so I'm OK with letting this simmer for a while.

I'm sure there's others but I feel like point 1 and 2 really should have been addressed much early as they're the driving motivation of the current story line and, without any explanation, kind of have no impact and make all the characters actions seem nonsensical.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Serin's betrayal was probably orchestrated by the queen. She wanted to marry Nex and kill Serin almost as soon as she was introduced. She even said flat out that her first child wouldn't be by Nex. As for why Nex became such a bastard, the latest chapter seems to shed some light on it. If the corruption spreads and turns everyone in contact with it into twisted, powerful monsters then his scorched earth policy is in fact completely necessary. Doing that over and over again would be sure to warp someone who was originally a generic korean teenage boy, though I'm sure there is more to it.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
The Night Clan SEEMS to be a way of fitting 'humans' into the world's terminology. The different races are organized into 'Clans.' Since Caladbolg went to Earth at the end of Immortal Regis, we can presume fairly safely his power base is there and any humans we see in the magic world are going to be his agents.

The stinker of this most recent chapter is: We now do not know if Xix is Nex's son again, or if his ability to break royal seals comes from being, in effect, Nexx's 'brother' through having been raised from the dead by Serin.

organism
Sep 30, 2005
organism

Gearhead posted:

The stinker of this most recent chapter is: We now do not know if Xix is Nex's son again, or if his ability to break royal seals comes from being, in effect, Nexx's 'brother' through having been raised from the dead by Serin.

I took it to mean Siana was actually Nex and Serin's child instead of Xix but because Siana used her inherited necromancer magic to make Xix an undead, he gained her blood. Back in Immortal Regis, there was the thing where Nex needed to drink some of Serin's blood every few days to survive.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
This could get extremely confusing since Xix seems to have a suppressible craving for blood of ANY type, as opposed to a need for a specific kind of blood (now) but needed regular 'medicine' intakes to keep him going before. And his blood can also serve as a regulator for Nex's daughter's condition, which also needs medicine to regulate. At this point, the only one we KNOW isn't Nex's kid is Ouroboros.

Comedy Option: Fraternal twins. One manifests mostly Demon Clan features, the other mostly Night Clan features. But BOTH are just a little Undead. Until Xix becomes all the way Undead.. at which point his little bit of preexisting Undead makes him more badass than average.

Gearhead fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jan 21, 2013

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Well, I guess that explains most of the background stuff for Cavalier of the Abyss.

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.
Noblesse 268
Good chapter with a nice setup for next week. M-21's team should destroy the other group now they had the little training arc.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
And then Cavalier of the Abyss 66 comes out. And spells every goddamn thing out.

Holy poo poo.

I guess the only major question mark left now is the demon beasts.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
If being a night clan is an inheritable trait and Nex really isn't one, Siana's father might not be Nex. If so, the remaining unrevealed backstory is going to be a doozy.

organism
Sep 30, 2005
organism
I'm still not 100% on the Night Clan. Previously, they've made it seem like anybody can join. That one elf looking guy would used plant magic and was friends with Nex back in Immortal Regis joined the Night Clan. Also, all previous Night Clan people we've seen haven't mutated their surroundings so maybe it's only something Caldabolg does or maybe an ability he grants to certain people? Either way, Caldabolg was the ruler of Chaos for however many eons, why does he now warp the environment just by standing around when it wasn't an issue before? I kind of feel like they've forgotten their own premise at this point.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
As a note, Ouroboros' body is a 'Night Clan' who had been resurrected as an Undead, but specifically without a soul animating it. This way, Ouroboros could just inhabit it directly. Since the walls aren't melting wherever Just goes, we can probably guess 'Night Clan' is just another way of saying 'Human.' Humans are seemingly immune to Caladbolg's whole 'World Full Of Crazy' effect since Humans are his ideal host.

As for my guess on why everything is melting around Caladbolg: Remember that Caladbolg is not remotely at full power. Large chunks of him have been cut away and sealed elsewhere. The damage inflicted on him could very well be getting reflected in the world around him. In effect, the Corruption is Nex' fault.

Gearhead fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jan 22, 2013

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
http://www.mangareader.net/cavalier-of-the-abyss/67

How bizarre. They are answering all of my questions so clearly in each successive chapter.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

How bizarre. They are answering all of my questions so clearly in each successive chapter.

Which means, knowing this author, we're about to get a massive curve ball. Because the LAST time he did this, in Immortal Regis, everything got overturned within fifteen chapters. (See: the future Nex's Negative Power)

EDIT: Good God, I'm not used to this kind of output.

Gearhead fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jan 23, 2013

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Gearhead posted:

Which means, knowing this author, we're about to get a massive curve ball. Because the LAST time he did this, in Immortal Regis, everything got overturned within fifteen chapters. (See: the future Nex's Negative Power)

EDIT: Good God, I'm not used to this kind of output.

Yup, looks like you were right. Who the heck is Xix? Assuming that the Nex's bloodline thing is due to is Xix being made into an undead by Siana, who is left to be his mysterious missing parent? I vaguely recall some other serpent clan members from IR, but I thought they were all antagonists who died. Could it be one or more of them?

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
I would have to lean towards him being Serpent, then. At this stage it's the only thing that makes sense.

We've PRESUMED his features were Night-Demon mix up to this point, but perhaps he's Serpent-Demon mix. In fact, this makes better sense, because it looks like, from Nex' KNOWN daughter with the Empress, that Night Clan features tend to wash everything else out.

EDIT: And then 68 comes out. And now I'm like this: :aaaaa:

Gearhead fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jan 24, 2013

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
I don't know how many of you keep up with Magician but it has really been upping the quality over the last couple arcs. The current battle is really awesome and we finally get to see some serious payoff in regards to a few of the main characters. The way the story is progressing is turning out to be super interesting too so I find myself looking forward to each new chapter moreso than a lot of other mangas/manhwas. If you haven't looked into it yet, it's totally worth it.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
No Breaker:NW this week but next week will be 24 pages of non stop action apparently.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Lyon posted:

No Breaker:NW this week but next week will be 24 pages of non stop action apparently.

Rip and tear, Shioon. Rip and tear.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Cynic Jester posted:

Rip and tear, Shioon. Rip and tear.

Best combination of post and avatar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scorpion 3-2
Apr 2, 2011

Reiche posted:

I don't know how many of you keep up with Magician but it has really been upping the quality over the last couple arcs. The current battle is really awesome and we finally get to see some serious payoff in regards to a few of the main characters. The way the story is progressing is turning out to be super interesting too so I find myself looking forward to each new chapter moreso than a lot of other mangas/manhwas. If you haven't looked into it yet, it's totally worth it.

Can't wait for the next chapter finally Iremi breaks here seal I'm really hoping for another awesome spell like that giant Golem in the castle. Battles between magicians really look incredible in this series.