Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

snail posted:

(Sorry, another wall of text.)

Locking the arms means the rider has to move their whole torso to turn the bars, rather than pushing and pulling using free elbow movement. As bikes countersteer, locked arms means shoulders turn. The inside shoulder has to push forward, and in order to do that, they brace against the pushing arm and their torso moves out of the corner.

This has the effect of keeping their body vertical, which pushes the bike down into the corner producing more lean on the bike. Leaning the bike further means rolling the bike further onto the tyre edge, reducing available grip. This is why racers hang off a bike through a corner, to move the balance point of the bike off the bike, in order to keep the bike more upright. Bikes like being upright, that's their natural stable state.

That's not to say you should be hanging off the bike on the road (especially as a newbie). If you're doing that, you're probably going too fast.

Some of the other videos on rnickeymouse's channel show what I mean. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBB5HC7izfc(here's my content) contains a number of good ones. If you compare the two videos, you'll see these people have almost a 90 degree bend in their arms, and their bikes are more upright, far more stable, and I can guarantee going a lot faster. They are the more extreme examples though, but you can still apply the same theory that works into more advanced riding.

A technique I teach newbies is to rock on their buttcheeks (which is pretty much a parroting of the technique I've been taught in all my riding schools, be it track or advanced street riding). In sequence, it's pretty much:

0) Are your arms bent and can you flap them like a chicken? If not, relax the grip.
1) Decide on your line through the corner.
2) Make sure the ball of your inside foot is on the peg. Outside foot, hooked up with the boot heel. This keeps your foot off the road if you're going to lean a long way, and provides a hold through the outside boot.
3) Rock on your butt onto the cheek that's going to be inside the corner.
4) Keeping your arms loose, start your braking using your knees to hold the tank if you need to.
5) Release the brakes, and initiate the turn following the line you decided on in 1) by looking at the line you want to follow. Don't look at the ground in front of your bike. Look a far ahead as you can remember and that makes sense to you. If you're out-riding your vision and memory, once again, going too fast.
6) Stay on that butt cheek until you're upright after the corner.
7) Sit flat on the seat again.

From rocking on your butt through a corner, it's a straight progression to hanging off the bike for foolysik MotoGP-stylez cornering. The amount you'll move on the seat changes.

That's extremely helpful! Thank you. There should really be a thread about riding tips or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slavvy posted:

That's extremely helpful! Thank you. There should really be a thread about riding tips or something.
Would be something good for the wiki.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

Slavvy posted:

Just go to a riding school. "Tips" are pointless, you might get 10% out of what an actual coach can teach you. Think about it: golfing, you get a pro to teach you a swing; any team sport, needs a coach to teach you where to look, footwork, shot movements; Skiing/snowboarding, you can watch your friends for an entire season but 1 or 2 sessions with a coach will tell you what you're doing wrong and get you a whole year ahead of where you were.

MSF to learn the basics and how to be safe on the road, after that save up for some good instruction. Also, in the meantime "Twist of the Wrist 2" can get you started (or at the very least show you how people crash like all the guys in rnickeymouse's videos)

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I'd just watch some racing. I watch guys ride bikes fast on TV which pretty much makes me an expert on riding.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Would be something good for the wiki.

I pretty much cut-and-pasted that post to this page http://2strokeworld.com/bikewiki/index.php?title=Riding_Tips

Please add more content and opinions and stuff.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nitramster posted:

Just go to a riding school. "Tips" are pointless, you might get 10% out of what an actual coach can teach you. Think about it: golfing, you get a pro to teach you a swing; any team sport, needs a coach to teach you where to look, footwork, shot movements; Skiing/snowboarding, you can watch your friends for an entire season but 1 or 2 sessions with a coach will tell you what you're doing wrong and get you a whole year ahead of where you were.

MSF to learn the basics and how to be safe on the road, after that save up for some good instruction. Also, in the meantime "Twist of the Wrist 2" can get you started (or at the very least show you how people crash like all the guys in rnickeymouse's videos)

Tips are free, riding school isn't and I'm poor.

nsaP posted:

I'd just watch some racing. I watch guys ride bikes fast on TV which pretty much makes me an expert on riding.

Already do :)

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Join the army, they'll pay for the MSF BRC...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzzE9xpOW7I

edit: The local riding forum setups a "skills day" event every month. It's just cones in an empty lot and with some "instruction"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfrJecdmxYc

I went once. It was fun to race around on a motard, but the crowd was lame. It inspired me to go do it on my own, which is super fun.

GI Joe jobs fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jan 25, 2013

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Gullous posted:

Join the army, they'll pay for the MSF BRC...

Well, since they're paying for all those 18 year olds' SWEET GIXXERZ already, it's probably a worthwhile investment...

Speaking of Twist of the Wrist 2, it looks to be up on Youtube in its entirety. I won't post the link because :filez: but I'm sure you can work a search engine if you're too broke to buy it.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

nsaP posted:

Here's a vid of me dangling my leg before turning into starbucks, feedback on my form plz

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slim Pickens posted:

Here's a vid of me dangling my leg before turning into starbucks, feedback on my form plz

Aviators are so last decade, and is that a replica vintage jacket? Poor form.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

You would really really really not want to stuff that up as the jumper. I could only imagine the pain of having someone cruise into your nads on a bike.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
The Ministry of Silly Walks is really going all out these days.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
loud pipes save lives

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

In that case, the theoretical car who snugs up too close behind you in traffic and gets face melted.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
YoureDoingItWrong.jpg

Supposedly that is Alicia Keys.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
The toeless boots are the best.

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008
I'll see your Alicia Keys on a Beemer, and raise you Ke$ha..

Eesh.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

ThatCguy posted:

I'll see your Alicia Keys on a Beemer, and raise you Ke$ha..

Eesh.

Thanks Ke$ha, someone needs to burn that bike now. Wouldn't have minded owning that one but you had to go and touch things.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004
This popped up on my newsfeed

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

some sort of irredeemable trash person

Legdiian posted:

drat well better be real. Would be a powerful troll.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
There's a lot of unrealized potential in extended swingarms as luggage storage locations.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Attach a swingarm to your swingarm.

http://www.moto-mule.com/

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Legdiian posted:

The throttle delay from the chain slack :psyduck:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

MotoMind posted:

Attach a swingarm to your swingarm.

http://www.moto-mule.com/

:catstare: Thats awesome!

Legdiian posted:

Where would you ever get a shock spring strong enough to stand up to that leverage? It would have to be a coilover off a dump truck or something

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Maybe it's just welded in place as a hardtail.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
Speaking of celebrities on motorbikes: http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/mouthwatering-ryan-gosling-moments-of-the-year

I was browsing the retarded paparazzi pictures of this guy to find number 24. The dude has millions of dollars and wears gardening gloves on his DRZ?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

They're not gardening gloves, they're clearly vintage Italian driving gloves, handmade from goats raised by cave-dwelling monks in the alps, and they cost $1100 a pair. Far superior to your stupid $150 gloves full of factory-farmed leather and soulless modern materials like carbon fiber and kevlar. :rolleyes:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

XYLOPAGUS posted:

Speaking of celebrities on motorbikes: http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/mouthwatering-ryan-gosling-moments-of-the-year

I was browsing the retarded paparazzi pictures of this guy to find number 24. The dude has millions of dollars and wears gardening gloves on his DRZ?

I hate it when this happens. How can I reconcile my enormous man-boner for Ryan Gosling with the fact that he rides a DRZ gearless with welding gloves?

My heart is in turmoil!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Slavvy posted:

I hate it when this happens. How can I reconcile my enormous man-boner for Ryan Gosling with the fact that he rides a DRZ gearless with welding gloves?

My heart is in turmoil!

#32 soothes the soul with dance and music.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

XYLOPAGUS posted:

Please tell me that is satire. There's no way people are that obsessed with a person, let alone Ryan Gosling.

Picture unrelated:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It amazes me that his face is identical in structure as a child, it's kind of disturbing.

Automotive Insanity>Cycle Asylum>Ryan Gosling chat

edit: TOE CUTTERRRRRRR!!! ^^^^^^

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"

snail posted:

3) Rock on your butt onto the cheek that's going to be inside the corner.
I keep reading this like you want the inside cheek on the seat, moving your hips towards the outside of the corner.

Maybe my head is just fuzzy today but the idea is to have your butt/hips slid slightly to the inside of the curve (closer to the ground), right? Left hand corner, right cheek on the seat for example.

Am I crazy?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

MonkeyNutZ posted:

I keep reading this like you want the inside cheek on the seat, moving your hips towards the outside of the corner.

Maybe my head is just fuzzy today but the idea is to have your butt/hips slid slightly to the inside of the curve (closer to the ground), right? Left hand corner, right cheek on the seat for example.

Am I crazy?

That's one technique but not necessarily the best one on the road (as it reduces the grip you can get on the tank with your thighs and also means your groin becomes one of your major contact areas which can be pretty uncomfortable if you hit a bump).

Assuming I'm reading it right he's describing the Roadcraft-approved positioning for corners, with your weight moved slightly inside the corner, but your hips staying central on the seat. I was taught to think of it as letting a fart out to the outside of the corner.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

MonkeyNutZ posted:

Am I crazy?

He's talking about keeping your butt stationary but shifting your weight from one side to the other. Basically, snail's instructions are trying to get you used to placing your weight for the corner before you actually start sliding your rear end around on the seat.

If you follow his instructions on where to put your feet and rock your weight onto the inside cheek you'll be in a good position for taking the corner. Shifting your weight to the side should also have the effect of moving your shoulders and head to the inside of the corner.

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

nsaP posted:

He's talking about keeping your butt stationary but shifting your weight from one side to the other. Basically, snail's instructions are trying to get you used to placing your weight for the corner before you actually start sliding your rear end around on the seat.

If you follow his instructions on where to put your feet and rock your weight onto the inside cheek you'll be in a good position for taking the corner. Shifting your weight to the side should also have the effect of moving your shoulders and head to the inside of the corner.

That's what I meant. Try it in the chair right now, it'll make more sense.

The foot positioning isn't vital, it's just one of those things that helps setup the rest of the movement. Wax on, wax off, and the motion becomes automatic leaving mental capacity to focus on other things.

CONTENT: I now own this guy's CBR that was raced for HRC in Australia and he once held the motorbike lap record for Eastern Creek on it. The bike is in a lazy retirement with me onboard. Also, Brooksie is doing IoM this year and I'm curious to see how he rides the circuit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xy4bZF6p04c

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Am I crazy? Or do I see him get air by swinging the bike left to right before the jump?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Say what you will about Ryan Gosling, but clearly the man has good taste in motorcycles.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

Ziploc posted:

Am I crazy? Or do I see him get air by swinging the bike left to right before the jump?

He just catches air while transitioning between corners. That takes a special kind of disregard for life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Say what you will about Ryan Gosling, but clearly the man has good taste in motorcycles.

He's still not attractive* and has nothing going for him but bulge in his arms. poo poo, I can stubble within two days,

*Beyond average looks.

its all nice on rice fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jan 26, 2013