Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

vacation in kabul posted:

You don't use the station name, you add whatever the name on the server is.

Haha that's why the guys on the goon squad couldn't add me. I'm dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red87
Jun 3, 2008

The UNE will prevail.
I'm Rez50 on NC Mattherson. I usually play on EU Miller since I'm in Germany but its being crashed bad by a player induced bug and the Goon outfit there is dying.

Just want to shoot some space mans and have fun.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Well if any of you chucklefucks still need a Higby's Heroes outfit invite yell at me over steam tonight and I'll log on and invite you.

LEGIT WAR CRIMINAL
Aug 29, 2008

by XyloJW

Vasudus posted:

Well if any of you chucklefucks still need a Higby's Heroes outfit invite yell at me over steam tonight and I'll log on and invite you.

I'll hit you up for that when I get home tonight.

AIDS CURES FAGGOTS
May 26, 2012

by angerbot
Same here. Friend invite sent.

Good work yesterday Cryo :)

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
I'll try to be on for planetside action at 7 CST. Let's all go die in noob-ish ways together!

Edit: in-game name is FartSandwiches.

Server went down for maintenance. Lame.

Fart Sandwiches fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jan 23, 2013

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~
so in around a month or so I managed to get to the end of the mass effect trilogy for the first time ever in my life, and I was like loving around before I made my decision and shot the loving space kid and loving my ending was like "LOL YOU LOSE" and apparently that was added in via DLC so gently caress my life. THe worst of the bad endings. GO SHEPARD

vacation in kabul
Dec 6, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Mass Effect was probably one of the worst game series I've ever played. Do not understand any of the praise it got.

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~
I thought it owned until I shot the space baby

vacation in kabul
Dec 6, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
ME1 was not polished at all, ME2 was basically an annoying on-the-rails shooter, and ME3 wrapped the series up by having one of the worst endings ever. I played all three and my level enjoyment peaked at ME1 but that was still pretty ehhhhh.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I like me1, but I played it on a deployment, so its not like I had anything better to do. Endgame was kind of cool though when your weapons were so overpowered.
I'm slowly working my way through 2, I think I might be about 6-7 hours in, and it seems ok so far. Not a big fan of 3rd person cover shooters, but the combat is better than the first one. Bummed at how lame the citadel is, I thought the best part of 1 was exploring the citadel. I heard me3 isn't terrible when you play it with all the dlc.

vacation in kabul
Dec 6, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The DLC might make it better, but in general I only buy games on sale and I've never purchased any DLC :jewish:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I played ME1-liked it enough. For both ME2 and 3, I put about 15 hours in, enjoyed my time, then just stopped playing it outright. I'd like to finish off the series at some point. Those games weren't very compelling to me once the ooh shiny new shoot-y bits thrill wore off.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The ME games are the only games I've ever gone 1000/1000 on because it was fun and I liked the game. That said, the end of 3 was so terrible that it's hard to describe without getting too :goonsay:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

X-Com is 25 bucks right now on Amazon, and I got a 5 dollar credit I can use on it.

Think it's time to pull the trigger.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

X-Com is 25 bucks right now on Amazon, and I got a 5 dollar credit I can use on it.

Think it's time to pull the trigger.

Game is so good do it now.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

holocaust bloopers posted:

Game is so good do it now.

It's done. Downloading now. Happy that the game is Steamworks.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

It's done. Downloading now. Happy that the game is Steamworks.

I had a lot of fun with it for the time I played it. Avoid the Games thread about it since the goon majority believes that an Ironman Classic playthrough is the pure and Godly way to experience X-Com. I guess that's cool if you enjoy random bullshit AI dice rolls that wipe out an experienced squad in one fell swoop or arbitrary difficulty. With that being said, play on normal first to get a hang on everything. It's some super difficult if you ever played a strategy game in any capacity.

There's a mod or so out there that changes the values of the dice roll poo poo to where the game actually plays out more fairly.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Normal w/o Ironman is hard as gently caress to begin with. Ironman Classic is an exercise in anger management. Game is still awesome though.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

So what mode should I play? I played one of the old xcoms once or twice wayyyyy back in the day.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

So what mode should I play? I played one of the old xcoms once or twice wayyyyy back in the day.

Normal, non-ironman.

If you beat it, and you want more, then do Ironman Classic.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Snipers. Use the poo poo out of your snipers.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Also don't name your soldiers until they're at least LTs or CPTs :smith:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Vasudus posted:

Also don't name your soldiers until they're at least LTs or CPTs :smith:

Or better yet name them after ex-girlfriends if you're down for a super goony coping mechanism good time.

LEGIT WAR CRIMINAL
Aug 29, 2008

by XyloJW
I named my dudes after GiP people and would get legit bummed when some of them died. RIP bitchtits, WhipSlagcheek, and RovingReporter.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM
Agreed that Normal Difficulty is the way to go. Goons have loving hard-ons for extreme and arbitrary difficulty in games. gently caress that, I'm 35 and have a job and a family. I have real life accomplishments, so I kind of just want to play games to have fun. And X-Com is randomly ballcrushing on dificulties above Normal.

vacation in kabul
Dec 6, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I name all my people after famous people. Black woman = Oprah Winfrey, asian dude = Bruce Lee/Jackie Chan.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
I have a vague interest in strategy games and I feel like I'm terrible at them. I want to play xcom but I'm scared.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Fart Sandwiches posted:

I have a vague interest in strategy games and I feel like I'm terrible at them. I want to play xcom but I'm scared.

Don't be, it's hard but fun. One of the better games that has come out in the last couple of years.

vacation in kabul
Dec 6, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
X-Com is absolutely worth the money regardless of what genres you're into. I hope they do a similar deal with Jagged Alliance at some point, I think I would be even more interested in it than X-Com.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Haha holy crap, I knew the default gun for NC Heavy Assault was bad, but I've been playing as a medic for a while and I had no idea it was THAT bad. I can get kills at long range with the medic's gun just by holding down the trigger.

Also, when goons are sucking for 3 straight hours I still get certs!

Fart Sandwiches posted:

XCom is one of those games where both people who thought they sucked at tactical strategy games and people who do nothing but play tactical strategy games absolutely loved it

AIDS CURES FAGGOTS
May 26, 2012

by angerbot
Anyone have a favorite rifle for NC Light Assault?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

AIDS CURES FAGGOTS posted:

Anyone have a favorite rifle for NC Light Assault?

Close range: GD-7F. Literally the best gun in the game from a :eng101: standpoint. Put a double laser on that fucker and never use ADS, just hipfire.

Mid/Long: GD-23 Razor, AC-X11. The GD-23 is 30 rounds with pretty good accuracy/recoil, the AC-X11 hits harder, has higher recoil, and 20 rounds. Personally, I go with the GD-23 Razor.

This also doubles for the Engineer, since they share the same weapon pool.

Also, the Mauler S6 shotgun (with or without slugs) is an awesome choice as well.

AIDS CURES FAGGOTS
May 26, 2012

by angerbot
Thanks, I kinda suck at close range so I'll go with the GD-23 :)

e:

woohoo Skyrim at 30 bucks? Don't mind if I do.

AIDS CURES FAGGOTS fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jan 27, 2013

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
anyone try path of exile? its in open beta, might be kewl~

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Anybody stoked for Dead Space 3?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

AB posted:

No not really I'm pretty sure they've ruined it

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

AB posted:

I don't like horror/scary games. :3:

Pretty stoked for Aliens: Colonial Marines and the new Company of Heroes whenever that gets a release date.

vacation in kabul
Dec 6, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
New CoH is going to be absolutely baller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
CoH is dead in the water since THQ was eaten alive by their creditors. I don't even know who has the IP anymore.

• Locked thread