Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005

FT: David Cameron’s speech on the EU is postponed once more, this time in order to deal with the hostage crisis in Algeria

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Guardian:

David Cameron talking of terror 'franchises' springing up worldwide.
(Also related to the Telegraph one)

The UK faces a "generational struggle" against Islamist-inspired terrorism, David Cameron has warned.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-21130484

and yet at the same time.

The Ministry of Defence is announcing a third round of Army redundancies later.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-21134353
:shepface:

Telegraph:

Independent:

Daily Mail:

quote:

“I thought this is what you wanted to see…..Les Miserables.”

Daily Express:

Thought I'd add Ingram Pinn to the OP.

Fluo fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jan 22, 2013

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Fluo posted:

Daily Mail:

It's nice to see Mac calling for barricades in the streets and the execution of the monarchy. :unsmith:

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Fluo posted:

Guardian:

David Cameron talking of terror 'franchises' springing up worldwide.
(Also related to the Telegraph one)

Oh my yes! He's merging his Blair and Cameron into one. It will haunt generations.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Ahaha yeah mrpwase. :yayclod:

Blair and Cameron merging into one one step away from HitlerThatcher!

Guardian:

Steve Bell on defence cuts.

Telegraph:

Independent:

Daily Express:

:ughh:

All of these are related to the two news articles I posted yesterday.

Fluo posted:

The UK faces a "generational struggle" against Islamist-inspired terrorism, David Cameron has warned.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-21130484

and yet at the same time.

The Ministry of Defence is announcing a third round of Army redundancies later.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-21134353
:shepface:

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Fluo posted:

Daily Express:

What the gently caress.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

adamantium|wang posted:

What the gently caress.

If it weren't the Daily Express, I'd assume that was an actually pretty funny and sarcastic take on idiotic right-wing Islamophobia. However, reverse Poe's law...

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010
EVERY TIME I POST I AM REQUIRED TO DISCLOSE THAT I AM A SHITHEAD.

ASK ME MY EXPERT OPINION ON GENDER BASED INSULTS & "ENGLISH ETHNIC GROUPS".

:banme:
I think it is more an illustration of making cuts to the military and weakening it whilst being involved in a conflict.

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010
But it comes across as a parody of those arguments because the scenario presented is so utterly ludicrous. I'd be certain it actually was a parody if it wasn't coming from the Express.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Yeah, its making it out as if a terrorist group is more like an army which would be able to invade and take over a western country rather then just do terror attacks.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Fluo posted:

Ahaha yeah mrpwase. :yayclod:

Blair and Cameron merging into one one step away from HitlerThatcher!

Guardian:

When I read "abite Europe" I couldn't stop myself reading the rest of the Queen's dialogue in a broad Belfast accent.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Guardian:

Steve Bell on Ukip's reaction to David Cameron's EU referendum speech.

Telegraph:

Indy:

Daily Heil:

quote:

David Cameron has said there will be an in or out referendum on our membership of the European union.

quote:

’50 SHADES OF DAVE’
The text to it is seriously 50 shades of Dave in caps. :shepface:

Daily Express:

Hurrrrrr....... what?

Scotsman:

Economist:

From their double christmas issue, just came online.

The art style tends to be awful crosshatch unless its something special like that one.

E.G this was their latest one.

:suicide:

Fluo fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Jan 24, 2013

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

Fluo posted:

Daily Express:

Hurrrrrr....... what?

Ah yes, David Cameron, famous for his ginger hair, cowslick, and broad shoulders.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

That Scotsman one is baaaaad. I could do better.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Fluo posted:

Daily Heil:

The text to it is seriously 50 shades of Dave in caps. :shepface:

And it's actually a very subtle and clever joke - which makes me wonder if it's intentional.

For those who are thankfully not au fait with pop culture: 50 Shades of Grey is about a sub/dom relationship and takes its name from the dom, Christian Grey. Hence, Cameron is being portrayed as trying to be the dom in Britain's relationship with Europe. But ask anyone who knows their BDSM, and they'll tell you that in a proper sub/dom relationship it's the sub who sets all the boundaries. So you have Cameron making himself look ridiculous while trying to show he's in charge, and it's actually Brussels who are calling the shots.

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

Jedit posted:

And it's actually a very subtle and clever joke - which makes me wonder if it's intentional.

For those who are thankfully not au fait with pop culture: 50 Shades of Grey is about a sub/dom relationship and takes its name from the dom, Christian Grey. Hence, Cameron is being portrayed as trying to be the dom in Britain's relationship with Europe. But ask anyone who knows their BDSM, and they'll tell you that in a proper sub/dom relationship it's the sub who sets all the boundaries. So you have Cameron making himself look ridiculous while trying to show he's in charge, and it's actually Brussels who are calling the shots.

This is a Daily Mail cartoon so I'm going to assume that the intended meaning doesn't rely on a knowledge of BDSM relationships.

Honestly it reminded me of the story Greek historians made up about how Xerxes had the sea whipped after a storm destroyed the bridge he'd had built so his armies could invade Greece. That'd be an amusing comment on Cameron's idiocy but again I'm going to assume that's not the intended meaning.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Fluo posted:

The art style tends to be awful crosshatch unless its something special like that one.

E.G this was their latest one.

:suicide:

What's your problem with crosshatching?

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Crameltonian posted:

This is a Daily Mail cartoon so I'm going to assume that the intended meaning doesn't rely on a knowledge of BDSM relationships.

Honestly it reminded me of the story Greek historians made up about how Xerxes had the sea whipped after a storm destroyed the bridge he'd had built so his armies could invade Greece. That'd be an amusing comment on Cameron's idiocy but again I'm going to assume that's not the intended meaning.

Pretty much over analysis of daily mail cartoons are a bad idea. As they don't know the whole BDSM as you said apart from "One person inflicts pain onto other". So I think they're saying Cameron is going to teach the EU a lesson. Which is insane.

a pipe smoking dog posted:

What's your problem with crosshatching?

If done well they are be amazing, however a lot of the time they're used to cover up laziness.

Fluo fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jan 24, 2013

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Fluo posted:

If done well they are be amazing, however a lot of the time they're used to cover up laziness.

Nah, it's just a halftone method. This kind of nonsense belongs in the bad politoons thread <:mad:>

;)

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Exclamation Marx posted:

Nah, it's just a halftone method. This kind of nonsense belongs in the bad politoons thread <:mad:>

;)

I think its generally case by case basis. :sun:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Crameltonian posted:

Don't worry, so do I. It was a bit involved just to do an AGC, is all.

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

Jedit posted:

Don't worry, so do I. It was a bit involved just to do an AGC, is all.

Ah, should have guessed that. Although the media has become so obsessed with putting 50 Shades into everything that part of me was worried you were right. :ohdear:

Fluo
May 25, 2007

BastardySkull posted:

That Scotsman one is baaaaad. I could do better.

What's the politics of The Scotsman by the way? I've never really fully worked it out as sometimes they post stuff that could be in the Guardian other times Stuff in the Daily Mail (but saying that the Guardian has some articles that could be mistaken for Daily Maily sometimes like the latest transphobic articles).

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Guardian:

The PM has promised that making business pay its fair share would be one of the key aims of Britain's G8 presidency.

Telegraph:

EU politics, but the football theme is because of this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypUcymhjKo0

I guess Bob is trying to make it out you should feel sorry for the ballboy but he was quite a prick. Before the game he was bragging what he was going to do and he was wasting time beyond any respectable time. However the Chelsea player shouldn't have kicked him in the ribs. Aka both are wrong.

Indy:

Daily Express:

lol'd as Telegraph is other way around.

Fluo fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jan 25, 2013

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

It's particularly funny, because the Chelsea player is Eden Hazard, a Belgian/EUlandian. Not really the right person to represent the good, honest and hardworking BRITISH ballgetter, Cameron.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

R. Mute posted:

It's particularly funny, because the Chelsea player is Eden Hazard, a Belgian/EUlandian. Not really the right person to represent the good, honest and hardworking BRITISH ballgetter, Cameron.

Yeah! :britain:

Only two newspapers today it seems. Guess because its Saturday.

Guardian:

The UK could be heading for a triple-dip recession as a manufacturing sector supposed to kickstart growth stalls.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2013/jan/26/goldman-sachs-criticism-george-osborne-austerity

:siren: new Stephen Collins :siren:

Telegraph:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/9826104/Dave-George-and-Boris-out-for-pizza-night-before-GDP-woe.html

quote:

David Cameron and George Osborne appeared to be in high spirits over dinner at a pizza restaurant last night just hours before figures showed the economy is slipping back towards recession.

az
Dec 2, 2005

Fluo posted:

Oh god that's adorable :allears:

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"

Fluo posted:

Gonna print this out and stick it on my fridge. Collins is amazing.

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010
EVERY TIME I POST I AM REQUIRED TO DISCLOSE THAT I AM A SHITHEAD.

ASK ME MY EXPERT OPINION ON GENDER BASED INSULTS & "ENGLISH ETHNIC GROUPS".

:banme:

Fluo posted:

Going to have to find a higher res version of this. It is great. The cuts cartoon is pretty good to.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

A Sloth posted:

Going to have to find a higher res version of this. It is great. The cuts cartoon is pretty good to.

The fact that Osbourne also cut off Cameron's fingertip in the frenzy is a great touch.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

Fluo posted:

Now that Tim Kreider (PBUH) seems to have stopped drawing, this guy is rapidly becoming my new favourite cartoonist.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Spiderfist Island posted:

The fact that Osbourne also cut off Cameron's fingertip in the frenzy is a great touch.

It's really a great example of "show, not tell" in cartooning - just from their expressions in the last panel we understand the positions of all three of them:
Osborne looks very happy with what he's done; Cameron is upset, but only at the damage he's suffered; Boris is appalled - or at least he's appearing to be...

And all of this is communicated with zero words.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

Fluo posted:

Guardian:

Indy:

Playing Russian roulette with a modified LeMat is less dangerous unless you gently caress it up. A TFR cartoon.

And that If... was the perfect punchline to the week, drat.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Fluo posted:

This is wonderful.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Fluo posted:

I don't know what's better, the "oi dickhead" panel or the angry-bird-face panel (number fifteen?). :3:

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Guardian:

Holy gently caress..... where the hell is this going to go? :flashfap:

George Osborne and the 'spare bedroom tax'.

The new 'window tax' where people just bricked up their windows. However since its spare bedrooms it will most likely be converted into a study or something if they're rich....... wait a second what about

quote:

In April the new 'spare bedroom tax' comes into force, meaning many low-income families and disabled people will be forced to move or face yet more cuts. The implications are frightening
http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2013/jan/25/spare-bedroom-tax-contradiction-impossibility
:suicide: :smith:

Cartoon from yesterday, titled Your guide to the European referendum. Sorry that's the biggest size.

Telegraph:

I think its related to lately there is been a lot of press talk about all different names of people who are being groomed / want to overthrow Cameron and become PM. The Indy Boris/Murdoch one is related to. Unless I've missed something about tennis.

quote:

Conservative MP Adam Afriyie has insisted he is "100% supportive" of David Cameron, after several newspapers reported he was being groomed as the next Tory leader.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-21220670

quote:

Starbucks rejects tax row threat after Cameron speech
Starbucks has dismissed reports it held urgent talks with government officials over fears it was being singled out for criticism of corporate tax avoidance.
Starbucks confirmed that it had had a meeting at Downing Street on Friday, but said this was "long-scheduled"
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21219823

Indy:

:hampants:

Cameron cherry picking, wants all the bonuses of the EU thats good for Britain but nothing else. Pretty much never heard of compromise. And by "good for Britain" I mean tories.

quote:

David Cameron will use EU reforms to repatriate and weaken workers' rights, Frances O'Grady, the new leader of the Trades Union Congress will warn on Monday.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2013/jan/28/tuc-cameron-eu-workers-rights

Triple Dip Recession http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/9826019/UK-heads-for-triple-dip-as-GDP-contracts-0.3pc.html

Daily Express:

His popular went up 3 points. It looks like this.

Fluo fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jan 28, 2013

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
I absolutely love the 2 Guardian cartoons today, especially the Farage one.

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010
Rowson's somehow incredibly good at drawing both utterly grotesque and extremely adorable things. That fur cup. :3:

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

There's just so much good stuff going on in the Rowson one! The triple dip-locoducus eating the curtains to reveal the elephants in the closed reading an IMF report is just too good.

Not to mention the frightened Danny Alexander whimpering in a corner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluo
May 25, 2007

I love the ACME Sloth Gym! :3:

• Locked thread