Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheFarSide
Jul 24, 2001

Nay, we are but men... ROCK!
I read Name of the Wind a few years ago and enjoyed it for what it was, and when I decided to finally check out Wise Man's Fear, I decided I'd go through Name of the Wind again to refresh my memory. I've been driving a lot recently and thought I may as well do it on audio book, and continued this route for Wise Man's Fear. The narrator, Nick Podehl, breathed a new life into the book for me. If anyone had difficulties continuing through either book, give the audio a shot. He does one of the better jobs I've ever heard. His character voices are consistent, recognizable, and bring a new dimension to the text. The accents are fantastic. It still wasn't enough to make me care about multiple hours of audio with Felurian, but nobody's perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001

TheFarSide posted:

I read Name of the Wind a few years ago and enjoyed it for what it was, and when I decided to finally check out Wise Man's Fear, I decided I'd go through Name of the Wind again to refresh my memory. I've been driving a lot recently and thought I may as well do it on audio book, and continued this route for Wise Man's Fear. The narrator, Nick Podehl, breathed a new life into the book for me. If anyone had difficulties continuing through either book, give the audio a shot. He does one of the better jobs I've ever heard. His character voices are consistent, recognizable, and bring a new dimension to the text. The accents are fantastic. It still wasn't enough to make me care about multiple hours of audio with Felurian, but nobody's perfect.
The only thing that I had a problem with his reading was that in my head (and the audiobook for the Name of the Wind) Elodin sounded like El-oh-din. But in the second book he pronounces it as E-loh-din with a hard E. I'm used to it now, but it took me a while to accept that.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.
I never caught that, but the "Deb-ee/Day-bee" change was jarring.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I'm kind of surprised that since showing pictures of Rothfuss seems to be the ultimate proof of something or other, nobody has posted this:

http://www.jimchines.com/2013/01/group-cover-pose-reveal/

I personally think it's awesome.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Please, someone with the audiobook give us a sample of the pig farmer chapter.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

Sophia posted:

I really encourage everyone who thinks this to read that Jo Walton reread because in going through it, it became pretty clear that he didn't write any scenes that didn't have an overall point to the larger mystery. The pirates and stuff didn't have anything to do with the Chandrian / overall mystery, so he cut it out. Felurian does.

That doesn't solve any other problems with the work, like the writing or characterization or anything else that you might not like, but I do think that his choices in terms of what he is writing vs. what he is not are very deliberate.

I thought it was a pretty clever thing to do and would have worked quite well if it hadn't been preceded with hundreds of pages of dull university life. That also doesn't feel relavant to the overall point.

uberkeyzer
Jul 10, 2006

u did it again
This is kind of tangential but I was reading The Little Book recently, which is a story about a dude who mysteriously time travels from 1988 to fin de siècle Vienna and has some crazy adventures. A nifty concept, only the main character is 1) the biggest rock star in the USA 2) a fantastic pitcher who throws a perfect game with thr best fastball anyone has ever seen 3) a genius who edits a book about Vienna that somehow becomes a best seller (!) and blows Freud's mind with his psychological know-how 4) the worlds greatest lover who bones a 20 year old (he is 40 at the time) and frees her to enjoy the world and 5) a free spirit who heals the heart of the queen of Austria by giving her a frisbee. Also anyone who doesn't like him immediately is a complete dick and also an anti-Semite.

I guess my point is if you are eager to read about what Kvothe's adventures in the real world would be like you should check out this book.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

uberkeyzer posted:

This is kind of tangential but I was reading The Little Book recently, which is a story about a dude who mysteriously time travels from 1988 to fin de siècle Vienna and has some crazy adventures. A nifty concept, only the main character is 1) the biggest rock star in the USA 2) a fantastic pitcher who throws a perfect game with thr best fastball anyone has ever seen 3) a genius who edits a book about Vienna that somehow becomes a best seller (!) and blows Freud's mind with his psychological know-how 4) the worlds greatest lover who bones a 20 year old (he is 40 at the time) and frees her to enjoy the world and 5) a free spirit who heals the heart of the queen of Austria by giving her a frisbee. Also anyone who doesn't like him immediately is a complete dick and also an anti-Semite.

I guess my point is if you are eager to read about what Kvothe's adventures in the real world would be like you should check out this book.

That's funny because from that I checked the wiki page and found:

wikipedia posted:

Reception for The Little Book was overwhelmingly positive, with Publishers Weekly calling it “a sweet, wistful elegy to the fantastic promise and failed hopes of the 20th century.” USA Today, Entertainment Weekly, and the Courier-Journal also praised the book, with the Courier-Journal stating the book was "full of surprises".
NPR's Maureen Corrigan hailed it as “a historical time-travel fantasy that’s an ideal late summer reading getaway, complete with screwball hidden identity plots and even lively background music…Edwards handles the hectic demands of a multistranded plot with deftness and humor.”
The novel was also noted for its “balanced, powerful style,” and “a maturity that is exceedingly rare.”In general, The Little Book was found “a masterpiece of unequaled storytelling that announces Selden Edwards as one of the most dazzling, original, entertaining novelists of our time.”

Totally not what I was expecting!

uberkeyzer
Jul 10, 2006

u did it again
It's the most wistful and elegaic depiction of sexing up your grandmother that I've ever read.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Basic Beater posted:

Bahaha, it was pretty great.

StoicRomance
Jan 3, 2013

RebBrownies posted:

So I put down The Wise Man's Fear sometime in the last year because I got bored (I think I was 200-300 pages in?). To me it just seemed the Kvothe was in school and Ambrose was being an rear end in a top hat and that was it, but this goes on and on for 300 pages. Is it necessary to tell us about that time you couldn't find that book, or Denna wasn't at the bar and nothing of importance happened?

It almost reminds me of the episode of MST3K with Merlin's Shop of Mystical Wonders, where Ernest Borgnine is telling his grandson a story, but the story includes real time driving scenes. ("And then the guy with the receding hair drove the blue car carefully signaling his turn, and pulling into a suburban driveway.")
I feel like Kvothe is Ernest Borgnine and Chronicler is the grandon.

Should I pick it back up again? Does it get better? Does this Ambrose drama ever end or come to a head?

I feel like nine-tenths of this meandering is for Rothfuss to pepper in his psychotic levels of foreshadowing and cheeky clues.

TheFarSide
Jul 24, 2001

Basic Beater posted:

Cropped a bit out from the chapter for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nWJ8qZ_mYk

devnulll
Jun 17, 2012

I'd hit that.
Read and really enjoyed both books. Any idea when the third book will appear?

Funny though, reading this thread and thinking about it I have to agree with the criticism; but, I still totally enjoyed both books and recommend the series as one of my favorites all the time. I like the first one a little better mostly because it lacked the awkward romantic bullshit. Are there no women on that world who would jump a talented musician’s bones? Talk about fantasy!

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

devnulll posted:

Read and really enjoyed both books. Any idea when the third book will appear?

I predict about 2018. Rothfuss is having too much fun being an Acclaimed Fantasy Writer to actually buckle down and figure out how to make all of the hints and foreshadowing pay off in a way that doesn't suck.

As far as real information, there is none. From a November interview:

quote:

R: I don’t suppose you know at all about the release date of book 3?

P: There is no pub date. As soon as we do have something, I will blow a trumpet and announce it on the blog.

R: Alright, cause I have a post on anticipated fantasy novels of 2013, and I was hesitant about adding it on there.

P: I would be surprised if it came out in 2013. I would have to rush things, and I really don’t want to rush.
http://archeddoorway.com/2012/11/15/an-interview-with-patrick-rothfuss/

And from the blog:

quote:

When will book 3 be out?

Rest assured, as I promised for book 2, when there is news about book 3, I will pass it along. I don’t glean joy from withholding information; when there’s news, I’ll tell you.
http://www.patrickrothfuss.com/content/contact.asp#faq

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001

TheFarSide posted:

I've never seen that artwork in the video before... is there more like it?

TheFarSide
Jul 24, 2001

Ohvee posted:

I've never seen that artwork in the video before... is there more like it?

I just grabbed it from a google image search of "The Name of the Wind." I didn't see anything similar, but I wasn't really looking for it.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

TheFarSide posted:

Hah, that is really loving good.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

devnulll posted:

Are there no women on that world who would jump a talented musician’s bones? Talk about fantasy!
I guess there were no women in college that would jump Rothfuss bones and don't you understand how he was really a super genius JUST like Kvothe and women only go for jocks but only I can truly love them like they deserve.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.

devnulll posted:

Funny though, reading this thread and thinking about it I have to agree with the criticism; but, I still totally enjoyed both books and recommend the series as one of my favorites all the time. I like the first one a little better mostly because it lacked the awkward romantic bullshit. Are there no women on that world who would jump a talented musician’s bones? Talk about fantasy!

I agree. I'm a little more than halfway through A Wise Man's Fear, and I'm finding it a bit harder to get through than Name of the Wind. The romance is definitely awkward and cringe-inducing but I find it acceptable mostly because of Kvothe's age (weren't we all awkward romantics in our teenage years?) I really disliked the chapters about Kvothe and Fellurian's romantic escapades.

Despite that, I still find the book enjoyable, and I'm sure I'll be eagerly awaiting the third.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I liked Kvothe and Felurian, not the sex parts, the other parts were interesting. Especially the treeguy.

Chocolatebuddha
Oct 15, 2007

Sweet Deity!

Affi posted:

Hah, that is really loving good.

Yeah I have been listening to the audio books and Nick Podehl is one of the best narrators I've ever heard. I plan on reading(listening) more books solely because he has done them.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Brandon Sanderon just posted this on his Facebook. Even he shits on Rothfuss for the Ferulian chapter.

I missed that the first time. Sanderson isn't the type of person to tear someone down.
vvv

LASER BEAM DREAM fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Feb 14, 2013

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
"All in good fun, Pat."

Still, definitely point to Sanderson.

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

judge not, lest ye be judged.

ace_beef posted:

...what are some similar or better fantasy books?

Above Our Own posted:

The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch.
The First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie.

I am very much enjoying "Lies" thanks to that post. I'm about half of the way into it and I'm dreading finishing because I don't want it to end.
Thanks for the suggestion!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Started this series a couple weeks ago. I'm in TWMF and Kvothe just found the camp of bandits.

Holy poo poo holy poo poo

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Started this series a couple weeks ago. I'm in TWMF and Kvothe just found the camp of bandits.

That was a great scene in showing how sympathy and the esoteric magics can be used as a terrifying weapon.

All of the mystery and fear about the Chaundrian and the unspoken would indicate magic was used as a terrible force in the past nothing like the current academic state of affairs.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I'm halfway through the second book of this series and not sure I want to keep going. I enjoy aspects of it but I really hate the love story and the constant grind for money has begun to wear down on me. It was one of those things where I noticed three weeks later that I had stopped reading it. It's now been three months or so. Kvothe is in the palace with that guy learning all the intrigue poo poo. Should I keep going?

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
It gets sillier from there on and is mostly about ninja/faerie sex and fighting trees/being terrified by talking all-knowing trees, but the money aspect is over, I believe.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The Adem might break you. I thought that section dragged on a lot more than the beginning and I was in the same boat as you. That said, I think that was due to me reading the books back to back. I had my fill of survival and money problems in the first book, so I was ready for something new and the plot to move forward.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Kvothe just found the "Edema Ruh" and tossed a piece of iron into the fire

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Kvothe just found the "Edema Ruh" and tossed a piece of iron into the fire

I honestly don't remember what happened at that part; what'd he do besides murder them all on his way back from the Adem. At least I think that's when it happened.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

pakman posted:

I honestly don't remember what happened at that part; what'd he do besides murder them all on his way back from the Adem. At least I think that's when it happened.
He used a binding with iron in the fire to snap a bandit's sword

It wasn't as badass as the scene I read last night, but still pretty great.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

pakman posted:

It's been about a year since I read the book, but I think this is the gist:

He keeps doing things that would be serious social faux pas for the Ruh, but the guys he's with never say anything, leading Kvothe to conclude they are not Edeme Ruh. Which is true, they are bandits that pretend to be Ruh to rob towns and kidnap girls. Kvothe then proceeds to wreck their poo poo on a pretty epic level.

That was one of the more enjoyable sections of the book, actually.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

drat it. Book 2 done and now I'm stuck waiting like the rest of you. :(

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

drat it. Book 2 done and now I'm stuck waiting like the rest of you. :(

You could always star start and finish the Malazan series in the meantime like I did.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.

pakman posted:

You could always star start and finish the Malazan series in the meantime like I did.

Don't!

Read Joe Abercromie, Scott Lynch, or Anthony Ryan (wrote that self-published Bloodsong book on Amazon, really good and 5 bucks)! Or heck, Patrick O'Brian even though its historical and not Fantasy, just because its that good.

Reason:

Do you like introspection, philosophical rambling, pages and pages of Dragon Ball power level talk? A plot that requires a wiki to understand? A magic system that can't be totally explained even with a wiki? Then Malazan is for you! If you can make it past the opening page of the first book, which is usually the tripping point for most people. Erikson's writing makes a flying leap improvement between the second and first book, then faceplants beyond that. But there are velociraptors with swords for arms to make up for it.

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.

BananaNutkins posted:

Don't!

Read Joe Abercromie, Scott Lynch, or Anthony Ryan (wrote that self-published Bloodsong book on Amazon, really good and 5 bucks)! Or heck, Patrick O'Brian even though its historical and not Fantasy, just because its that good.

Reason:

Do you like introspection, philosophical rambling, pages and pages of Dragon Ball power level talk? A plot that requires a wiki to understand? A magic system that can't be totally explained even with a wiki? Then Malazan is for you! If you can make it past the opening page of the first book, which is usually the tripping point for most people. Erikson's writing makes a flying leap improvement between the second and first book, then faceplants beyond that. But there are velociraptors with swords for arms to make up for it.

I started reading The First Law trilogy after I decided against re-reading Malazan (I made it through Memories of Ice last time) and I'm already pretty happy with the decision. I enjoyed what I've read so far of Malazan, especially Memories of Ice, but drat is it hard to get through. Your description of the magic system is pretty accurate.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

On to The First Law Trilogy, then. It looks like Blood Song got picked up by Penguin and will get a proper release this year, so I'll probably wait for that.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Alternate viewpoint:

Malazan has a very rich world, with a ridiculous amount of thought and effort put into it's history and cultures. It's magic system is interesting with it's own history behind it give it's nature. There are a lot of things Erikson doesn't go into with it, but it's only a problem if you're the kind of person that has to know absolutely every minute detail about everything and can't stand not knowing. I enjoy it, personally. His character arcs are superb and legitimately the best I've seen in the genre, and the series as a whole offers a lot of emotional impact on a consistent basis. Erikson does get wordy and loves his philosophy, but I never found it to be a detracting factor because reading through it was always made worth it by the end of each book.

The above complaint about ~DBZ Power levels~ is stupid. Erikson takes a mythological perspective on some characters, yes. It's nothing that wouldn't be out of place in the various mythologies of the world, and they were his clear influence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Nevermind.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Sep 30, 2014

• Locked thread