Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009
Just finished Big Money Rustlas. It was amusing enough, especially if you can get past the misogyny.

Though my bar for Netflix films being good is a lot lower than normal since I've watched a ton of stuff off of it at work, I'm running out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Tennis Ball posted:

Oh man. This is actually kind of good. Not in an ironic way... (Only 8 minutes in though...)

I used this theory to predict that Piranha 3D would be a very good film.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Holy poo poo - I'm finally watching The Hole. Only 30 minutes or less into it, and I've gotten 3 or 4 good scares, creep outs. It's fun and scary.

Teen boy and his younger brother find a hole in the basement of their new house, with no bottom. Then creepy things start showing up in the house. Cute girl-next-door joins in on the thrills.

magnificent7 fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jan 26, 2013

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Joe Don Baker posted:

A few pages back people recommended and discussed The West Wing. I started it and I'm definitely impressed. Not sure why I didn't watch it on NBC when it aired. I was completely blown away by the season 2 finale. The church scene where Bartlet walked down the aisle cursing God in Latin was amazing and executed perfectly. It's the ultimate Sorkin walk-and-talk scene.

I'm watching it right now too. Two Cathedrals is probably my favorite episode so far. Noel was a great episode too. Overall I pretty much love almost everything about the show, but Martin Sheen is just so god damned good.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
My girlfriend's been watching West Wing on and off since it came out and it's strange, I could give less than half of a poo poo for long durations or whole seasons and then, for some reason I'm all in and dying to know what happens next. The big MS thing was one of those moments where I stayed up far too late even after she'd gone to bed, staring at the screen.

Totally not a fan of the nerdy glasses guy from Sports Night, though. Slowly replacing Rob Lowe with him seemed like a mistake, but maybe Rob Lowe was done at that point? I dunno. Also can't get into the whole new latino candidate thing near the end, it just feels kind of forced since unlike other shows they couldn't just have Bartlett magically win a third term.

Wolfsheim fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jan 26, 2013

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."
I'm very addicted to the West Wing, but I live in the UK and have been using Media Hint to watch it - now suddenly when I try to access Hulu or Netflix, the connection times out if the addon is activated (its fine if not). Anyone else getting this problem?

Grabulon
Jul 25, 2003

Stumiester posted:

I'm very addicted to the West Wing, but I live in the UK and have been using Media Hint to watch it - now suddenly when I try to access Hulu or Netflix, the connection times out if the addon is activated (its fine if not). Anyone else getting this problem?

Media Hint works fine for me.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Earlier today I was delighted to see that Topsy-Turvy is on Netflix now. I'd seen the movie a few times on some movie channel years ago and really liked it. Decided to watch it again today, still love it.

It's basically the story of how Gilbert and Sullivan made their musical The Mikado. At 2 hours and 40 minutes it might seem long, but it really doesn't feel like it. Wonderful performances, good music (as you'd expect from a Gilbert and Sullivan movie) and amazing Victorian ice burns keep the movie moving at a good clip. Seriously worth watching.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0151568/

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So yeah it's smug and full of it self but Butter was still a funny movie.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

magnificent7 posted:

Holy poo poo - I'm finally watching The Hole. Only 30 minutes or less into it, and I've gotten 3 or 4 good scares, creep outs. It's fun and scary.

Teen boy and his younger brother find a hole in the basement of their new house, with no bottom. Then creepy things start showing up in the house. Cute girl-next-door joins in on the thrills.

Joe Dante still owns

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

Wolfsheim posted:

My girlfriend's been watching West Wing on and off since it came out and it's strange, I could give less than half of a poo poo for long durations or whole seasons and then, for some reason I'm all in and dying to know what happens next. The big MS thing was one of those moments where I stayed up far too late even after she'd gone to bed, staring at the screen.

Totally not a fan of the nerdy glasses guy from Sports Night, though. Slowly replacing Rob Lowe with him seemed like a mistake, but maybe Rob Lowe was done at that point? I dunno. Also can't get into the whole new latino candidate thing near the end, it just feels kind of forced since unlike other shows they couldn't just have Bartlett magically win a third term.

As I understand it, Rob Lowe was supposed to be the star of the show (and also the president was never supposed to be seen), and after it turned into the ensemble show it became Rob Lowe decided to leave.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
Well I watched The Last Excorcism. I have to say I enjoyed the found footage filming of it all.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

der juicen posted:

Well I watched The Last Excorcism. I have to say I enjoyed the found footage filming of it all.

Just gave it a chance too, only thing out of place is the music kicking in. Otherwise its an effective movie with very good performances from Nell and Cotton.

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

After having it suggested to me by Netflix for months, I finally got around to watching Mary and Max last night. I absolutely loved it, and it will probably be in my top 5 animated films list now. It's the story of a pen pal relationship between a small, unpopular child in Australia and a man with aspergers in New York, progressing through about 20 years.

Great stuff.

Acrolos fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jan 26, 2013

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Dirty Work is coming to Netflix on 2/1.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Watched Solitary last night, and all I can says is holy poo poo. I'm not quite sure where to put this genre-wise. I want to say a little bit of horror with a little bit of thriller I guess? The movie was never scary, but it wouldn't stop giving me goosebumps. And that's really the best way I can describe it without giving anything away. Just an assload of goosebumps, it's great. I can't remember the last movie that brought me from a lying down while half-asleep to fully awake and eyes wide at the screen and basically saying "What the gently caress?" every few minutes. I fuckin loved this movie.
This was posted almost a year ago, but I've had it in my queue since then and only now finally watched it, and wanted to thank you for the recommendation. I wouldn't have known to check it out otherwise, as I've never heard a thing about it. The low budget shows in places but I thought it was effectively acted, and they make great use of the space so it doesn't feel monotonous (it takes place entirely in one house). I really enjoyed it.

Also the cover/poster on Netflix makes it look kinda like a Lifetime special, you have to ignore that.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

magnificent7 posted:

The scene with the clown doll made the hair on my arms stand up, and that's never happened to me before. I didn't think it was a real thing before that.

Sahara is up now, and it's a lot more fun than I remember. It's well-paced but not quite hyper-kinetic like a lot of adventure films lately.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

maxnmona posted:

As I understand it, Rob Lowe was supposed to be the star of the show (and also the president was never supposed to be seen), and after it turned into the ensemble show it became Rob Lowe decided to leave.

Sort of. The President was supposed to be an occasionally recurring character but the logistics of writing a show about the West Wing without having a President around plus Martin Sheen being awesome changed that pretty quickly. Rob Lowe was originally supposed to be more central but if he had a problem with the ensemble nature of the show he waited 3 seasons to get pissed about it.

However due to that original plan Rob Lowe signed on with a higher salary than his cast mates. Other than Sheen he was the most recognizable talent on the show at the time. But as everyone renegotiated their contracts the network didn't want to boost Lowe's salary correspondingly higher than everyone else so he walked. He was also being offered a sweeter deal elsewhere (that Lyon or Lion show or whatever).

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Egbert Souse posted:

Dirty Work is coming to Netflix on 2/1.

"Make your gun fight like the devil himself!"

That is great news, one of my all time favourite comedies. Also watched The Hole and it was actually pretty neat, just as advertised.

Tigern
Sep 6, 2012

possibly tiger
Grimey Drawer

magnificent7 posted:

This move started of really scary, but at the end I found it to be more funny that anything else.
The premise is great. A mysterious hole in the basement with no bottom? If handled correctly it could have been amazing, but sadly there was several things with this movie that didn't make sense.

At the beginning Dane and the gang tries to lower a video camera down, even after seeing that last time they put something down there they lost it. Nevertheless the camera survives somehow, and they are watching the video. They don't see it, but they caught something really creepy on film. Sadly the move never explains what it is.

A couple of other silly things I found:

After Creepy Carl got killed, and Dane went after his notebook it should have been obvious that it was a puzzle. What else could it have been? And why did he draw Dane's fear? Why not his own, Lucas's or Julie's?

Dane just left his little brother sitting on the lawn after he went running after Julie. That's not very brotherly of him, considering there is pure evil in the basement of their house!

And the clown doll was scary to begin with as well, before we saw it walk around and jump like it was Yoda from the prequels. To bad the kid could easily kill it himself.

I really enjoyed the scenery in "hell". It looked a lot like my favourite level in Psychonauts.

4/10

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Tigern posted:

This move started of really scary, but at the end I found it to be more funny that anything else.

It's a Joe Dante movie, isn't it? That sounds deliberate.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Tigern posted:

The premise is great. A mysterious hole in the basement with no bottom? If handled correctly it could have been amazing, but sadly there was several things with this movie that didn't make sense.
I absolutely agree with all your points.

This one still had all those flaws - PLUS the typical poo poo like all grownups are 2-dimensional idiots, girls are giggly dipshits, and little brothers are a burden. However, the movie still worked for me.

I can't explain it. I went in expecting a crappy horror movie, and came away pleased.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I watched Super 8 tonight, yet another semi-blockbuster that had passed me by until now for one reason or another.

I liked most of it, and it had some scenes with suprising emotional heft to them (I felt). The home movies scene especially.

Kind of was a bit of a letdown near the end with the fact that (and I'm sure this has been said a million times already) the alien creature who loving EATS PEOPLE FOR SNACKS just gets to fly away at the end. Is it my human bias showing in that I find it hard to root for the creature when he's devouring gas station attendants and housewives with rollers in their hair? I don't know what I would expect or find acceptable though, obviously it wasn't abducting people to take them down to its lair for hugs and sundaes. However, I really liked pretty much everything leading up to that point.

Anyone have any films (on netflix instant) that touch on grieving and loss similar to that one? I recently watched Lake Mungo and it was along those lines as well.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost
This has been said before but the first two acts of Super 8 was this amazing return to form of early 80s Spielberg. The last 1/3 unfortunately derails pretty badly.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Yep, definitely. The kids were fantastic, the movie just sucked me in completely. Lately I judge a movie a lot by if I pick up a phone to check twitter or whatever during it and I didn't stray at all this movie, even when I was kind of groaning in the last act.

JJ Abrams makes some goddamn watchable stuff that is for sure (the movie channel here has been putting the 2009 Star Trek on fairly frequently and I will watch snippets of it here or there and find myself enjoying it).

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

priznat posted:

Yep, definitely. The kids were fantastic, the movie just sucked me in completely. Lately I judge a movie a lot by if I pick up a phone to check twitter or whatever during it and I didn't stray at all this movie, even when I was kind of groaning in the last act.

JJ Abrams makes some goddamn watchable stuff that is for sure (the movie channel here has been putting the 2009 Star Trek on fairly frequently and I will watch snippets of it here or there and find myself enjoying it).

Yeah, his magical ability to spin poo poo scripts into platinum movies is why I think he's perfect for Star Wars.

OUTLAWDAN
Jan 20, 2013

and a SCHOLAR
I recently canceled my netflix sub, for the 3rd or 4th time. I'll go months without it and re sub just to see what is all new because during the time that i have a subscription i tend to watch everything that's good 2x over. Then i can't ever find anything that's worth watching.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Super 8 would've been the best movie of the year if it was just about those kids making a monster movie.

tliil
Jan 13, 2013

penismightier posted:

Super 8 would've been the best movie of the year if it was just about those kids making a monster movie.
Absolutely. I felt like the film was trying to tell two stories and the movie-making one was the only interesting one. There's basically no motivation for the kids to get involved until the girl gets taken and I never understood the monster's motivations for taking people. He takes them but doesn't kill them! He hates us but has a heart of gold! He's ET but he eats the antagonist!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Super 8 is a film about learning to let go. The monster's story parallels that of the boy losing his mother- horrible unjust stuff happens (the alien is locked up and basically tortured for years, hence why it becomes a violent man-eater) but a desire for revenge or inflicting some kind of "justice" sometimes just doesn't help. Trying to kill the alien would be like the boy's father holding on to his vendetta against the guy who was supposed to be at work when his wife got killed. There's no point to it, it wouldn't do anything. You have to move on.

tliil
Jan 13, 2013
Yeah I think we all got the metaphor but it didn't make me think or entertain me. So it was bad.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Seconding Sword of Gideon, late 80's/early 90's HBO was a really unique thing.

I've been meaning to comment how right you are about similar time period HBO. My parents had HBO back then and my dad sometimes will mention fond memories of random awesome movies/tv on there. He holds the political conspiracy thriller Flashpoint (staring Treat WIlliams, Kris Kristofferson, and Kurtwood Smith) in high esteem, apparently. To hear him tell it, as a toddler I loved Emmet Otter's Jug Band Christmas tv special (possibly with all of the music and Kermit the Frog cameos intact).

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

Sahara is up now, and it's a lot more fun than I remember. It's well-paced but not quite hyper-kinetic like a lot of adventure films lately.

It has it's moments, but I think it deserves its reputation as one of the largest flops of all time. Sahara is pure action movie by numbers. I will say it's funny and the inside jokes about Dirk Pitt's previous adventures were pretty clever. For example one of the early Dirk Pitt novels was Raise the Titanic, where Dirk Pitt found and raised the Titanic. In the opening montage of newspaper clippings, you can see a headline of the Titanic being towed into New York Harbor. Incidentally, Raise the Titanic was adapted into a movie that also flopped in the early 80's so Dirk Pitt has a couple bad runs at the box office

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
Watched The Hole based on the recommendations here and really liked it, especially since it didn't use cheap jump-scares or gore-scares. I'm not usually a fan of horror movies because of those reasons. Anything else on Netflix that is sort of the same?

kernel panic
Jul 31, 2006

so we came here to burgle your turts!

priznat posted:

Anyone have any films (on netflix instant) that touch on grieving and loss similar to that one? I recently watched Lake Mungo and it was along those lines as well.

The first part of Absentia has some elements of this. Don't want to say too much about it, but as it opens a woman is about to declare her husband, who has been missing for seven years, legally dead. It was a pretty enjoyable little movie, I thought, definitely worth a watch.

bartok
May 10, 2006

I really enjoyed Gridlock'd. It is a fun little dark comedy about Tim Roth and Tupac Shakur going through the bureaucracy of being broke and trying to get into a rehab program to quit heroin. I had forgotten that Tupac was a surprisingly decent actor.
I went to see what other movies character actor Vondie Curtis-Hall had directed then realized why he now sticks mainly to TV. His directorial follow-up to Gridlock'd? The Mariah Carey vehicle Glitter.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

LaptopGun posted:

To hear him tell it, as a toddler I loved Emmet Otter's Jug Band Christmas tv special (possibly with all of the music and Kermit the Frog cameos intact).

Oh god. So much Treat Williams.

I Demand Food
Nov 18, 2002
Just streamed a Korean film called My Way. It's very loosely based on a true story, but probably one of the most epic war films I've seen in a very long time. The basic plot of the film involves two runners (one Korean and one Japanese) who have been rivals since childhood and find themselves in first the Imperial Japanese Army, then the Soviet Red Army, and finally in the German Wermacht stationed in Normandy. It's a great movie and I can't recommend it enough.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I don't get why people liked The Hole. It was just like a Goosebumps episode but with good production values.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Volume posted:

I don't get why people liked The Hole. It was just like a Goosebumps episode but with good production values.

Considering the typical age of forums posters here you may have just answered your own question. Nostalgia is a hell of a drug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonNotGarfunkel
Jan 28, 2011

Volume posted:

It was just like a Goosebumps episode but with good production values.

*Adds to must watch list*

SimonNotGarfunkel fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jan 28, 2013

• Locked thread