Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

MassRayPer posted:

Bischoff wanted to unmask Rey. Russo probably would have thought it was a good idea too though. Bischoff didn't think he could connect with the crowd through the mask, and thought he'd be a bigger star without it.

The best part of this whole ordeal is Rey talks about right before going out to unmask Eddie comes up to him and says, "If you don't want to do this we'll loving leave right now" or something to that effect, Eddit had his back :hfive:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

maniacripper posted:

The best part of this whole ordeal is Rey talks about right before going out to unmask Eddie comes up to him and says, "If you don't want to do this we'll loving leave right now" or something to that effect, Eddit had his back :hfive:
Different time, years before. This time he lost it to Kevin Nash so Nash could get his win back from the fluke win Rey got on him on a random Nitro that Kevin booked so nobody could whine to him about jobbing.

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The only thing I remember about Chip Minton was him getting a penis suplex from Scott Norton.

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

I posted:

The only thing I remember about Chip Minton was him getting a penis suplex from Scott Norton.

Got me beat, then. I remember absolutely nothing about he or Hail.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I remember Jimmy Hart giving an interview saying he discovered Hail and he was gonna be a big star. He wrestled as The Machine against DDP and I think that was his only mach.

Wikipedia says he died in 06.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER
I looked into that a little further and some random website said 'after years of kid problems, Hail passed away in 2006.'

Confused, I hunted around some more. Turns out he had kidney issues.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

Red posted:

I mean, I guess, but... wasn't she originally Flair's nurse in a really moronic storyline?

Also, looking at these pictures make me sad, because Mortis was amazing, and we never got a chance to see Kanyon revive it in WWE.

Edit: Looking through all these photos, one of the few people who escaped this era unscathed and still has a career is TEDDY LONG

As I recall, Teddy helped the Undertaker learn the proverbial ropes when he first broke into the business. Later Taker got him a job as a referee and so on from there.

Teddy Long has been an on air character for the WWE since 1999. Think about that.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

whatsabattle posted:

Teddy Long has been an on air character for the WWE since 1999. Think about that.
Was he a character before the white boy challenge? I thought he was just a ref.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

whatsabattle posted:

As I recall, Teddy helped the Undertaker learn the proverbial ropes when he first broke into the business. Later Taker got him a job as a referee and so on from there.

Teddy was a pretty established referee and manager before he came to the WWF. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if Taker vouched for him.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

LividLiquid posted:

Was he a character before the white boy challenge? I thought he was just a ref.

Close enough.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Teddy was a pretty established referee and manager before he came to the WWF. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if Taker vouched for him.

Yeah but it's not like they made Bill Alfonso Smackdown GM for 400 years.

Unfortunately. :(

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
You face'n tha undataka daddy

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Xerzes posted:

Got me beat, then. I remember absolutely nothing about he or Hail.

Hail was a giant hoss who was mostly on d-level shows like WCW Saturday Night.

It was like someone dropped Warlord, a pile of bricks, and 70 pounds of HGH in a blender.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Red posted:

Hail was a giant hoss who was mostly on d-level shows like WCW Saturday Night.

Hail was "The Machine", right? Sadly, I can no longer find the infamous video, thanks to WWE's goddamn crackdown on Youtube.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

LividLiquid posted:

This time he lost it to Kevin Nash so Nash could get his win back from the fluke win Rey got on him on a random Nitro that Kevin booked so nobody could whine to him about jobbing.

I remember at the time being totally blown away that Rey beat Nash. Back before I was really smarky and into backstage politics.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

triplexpac posted:

I remember at the time being totally blown away that Rey beat Nash. Back before I was really smarky and into backstage politics.

Yep same here. Then rewatching it you notice how self serving it is. Nash treated it like a joke and it was just a fluke, then Nash destroyed Rey at the PPV.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
Hail wrestled in XWF too. I predict big things for XWF. It's going to be the next WCW.

-Internet, 2001

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Hail was "The Machine", right? Sadly, I can no longer find the infamous video, thanks to WWE's goddamn crackdown on Youtube.

I thought you were confused with Doug Basham, but I looked it up, sure enough - Hail was also The Machine, which I totally don't remember.

WCW sure liked copying ideas from movies.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Red posted:

I thought you were confused with Doug Basham, but I looked it up, sure enough - Hail was also The Machine, which I totally don't remember.

WCW sure liked copying ideas from movies.

What do you mean?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

bobkatt013 posted:

What do you mean?

Is this ... thing supposed to be someone?

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

Nilbop posted:

That's Kevin Nash as Oz.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Nilbop posted:

Its just another example of WCW stealing from movies. Thank god OZ failed since Turner just got the rights to the Wizard of OZ and was planning on making wrestlers based off their movies.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

Its just another example of WCW stealing from movies. Thank god OZ failed since Turner just got the rights to the Wizard of OZ and was planning on making wrestlers based off their movies.

I dunno, the MGM library has some possibilities.

Citizen Pain
Rack Butler with his finisher, the Don't Give A drat backhand
Captain Bligh
Nick and Norah Snarl
Ben Hurt

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

WCW was owned by Time Warner. Warner Brothers owns DC. The only superhero ripoff they ever did?

Arachnaman.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6m5e3_arachnaman-vs-steve-austin_sport#.UQBPNaF2GuM

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Maxwell Lord posted:

I dunno, the MGM library has some possibilities.

Citizen Pain
Rack Butler with his finisher, the Don't Give A drat backhand
Captain Bligh
Nick and Norah Snarl
Ben Hurt

Faction: The Mercury Theatre
Wrestlers: Citizen Pain, the Magnificent Ambrosens, Papa Macbeth Shango

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

LividLiquid posted:

WCW was owned by Time Warner. Warner Brothers owns DC. The only superhero ripoff they ever did?

Arachnaman.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6m5e3_arachnaman-vs-steve-austin_sport#.UQBPNaF2GuM

Which is impressive since Spider-man is a Marvel character.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

bobkatt013 posted:

Which is impressive since Spider-man is a Marvel character.

:thejoke:

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
Maybe I'm just being a stick in the mud here, but Arachnaman never appeared for any WCW that Time Warner owned. Years before the company was sold.

Or was that also :thejoke:?

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

LividLiquid posted:

Arachnaman.

The Crow?

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
It's entirely possible that DC would've thrown a fit if they'd done a Batman or Superman ripoff. Don't assume that WCW would've been immune from internal politics just because they were part of the same company as DC.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
WCW had communications issues within it's own company, it's a pipe dream to think that they would be anywhere near talking to DC about these things.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

triplexpac posted:

WCW had communications issues within it's own company, it's a pipe dream to think that they would be anywhere near talking to DC about these things.

I feel compelled to post this again, just to emphasize how bad it was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpnM7mx0dwE

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The Monkey Man posted:

It's entirely possible that DC would've thrown a fit if they'd done a Batman or Superman ripoff. Don't assume that WCW would've been immune from internal politics just because they were part of the same company as DC.
It was seriously a roundabout joke that wasn't meant to be analyzed too much.

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012

The Crow was never published by DC. It was originally published by Caliber, later on by Image, I have the original graphic novel as a TPB from Pocket Books, and the current series is published by IDW.

On a related note, the Thunder logo was done in the same style as Superman's 'electric' logo, during that phase when DC made Superman go electric. What bothers me is that I've never seen this discussed, even back in the day. If you're into graphic design and typography, check out the u, n, e and r, they're exactly the same as in Superman's logo.

Searching for this has lead me to a bunch of ancient Tripod pages, plus this match of Dale Torborg VS. The Maestro - this was completely blocked out of my memory.

http://www.wwe.com/videos/wcw-thunder-october-7-1999-dale-torborg-vs-the-maestro-25025478

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

They're actually not exactly the same. If you use a picture where you can actually see the letters in Thunder it's much more apparent.

Similar, sure, but not exact.

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012
I found the picture you used as well, but I didn't post it because it's not a screenshot. It does, however, have some nifty Photoshop tricks involved like the mighty lens flare. It's not 100% identical to the Superman logo, but they were used at the same time, but I never found out if they were designed by the same person, or if the Thunder logo was basically a ripoff.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
In a related note, the country music station in my town uses the Thunder logo for promotional purposes and advertising. I'd say they're asking to be sued if I thought WWE would care. They're even called Thunder 101.5. Here's the website http://www.thethunder.ca/

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

El Gallinero Gros posted:

In a related note, the country music station in my town uses the Thunder logo for promotional purposes and advertising. I'd say they're asking to be sued if I thought WWE would care. They're even called Thunder 101.5. Here's the website http://www.thethunder.ca/

I'm glad to see Kevin Sorbo found himself a new career path

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

El Gallinero Gros posted:

That's almost awesome enough for me to want to move to Thunder Bay and work at a Country radio station.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Rad R. posted:

I found the picture you used as well, but I didn't post it because it's not a screenshot. It does, however, have some nifty Photoshop tricks involved like the mighty lens flare. It's not 100% identical to the Superman logo, but they were used at the same time, but I never found out if they were designed by the same person, or if the Thunder logo was basically a ripoff.

They're definitely similar but I think there's plenty enough differences that they're not the same thing. The basics are the same but a lot of the edges and ends are clearly different so I imagine that's enough to make them different. It's probably not hard to imagine that they were coming up with the logo and saw the Superman thing and said "like that".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

VogeGandire posted:

I feel compelled to post this again, just to emphasize how bad it was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpnM7mx0dwE

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Sports Argument Stadium* > Punchsport Pagoda > WCW: They FedEx'd me a package with nothing in it