Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
It feels really, really good to be combat hugging again. It looks like this gym is 100% gi except for open rolling, but it has a regular wrestling class and I get the feeling that gi + wrestling training > nothing.

Just a hunch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Gi training is the best training period.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Ryan Hall has some pretty good insight into TLI and the situation there. As he writes here:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/121007439/Open-Letter-to-the-Martial-Arts-Community

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

ch3cooh posted:

Ryan Hall has some pretty good insight into TLI and the situation there. As he writes here:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/121007439/Open-Letter-to-the-Martial-Arts-Community

Was gonna post this. Gonna have to nickname Hall "The B-52", cause he dropping some loving truth-bombs with this one.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
Men in Pajamas and Rainbow Pants Against Inappropriate Touching

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

Men in Pajamas and Rainbow Pants Against Inappropriate Touching

Mods please rename thread to reflect this.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
Should we expect rodolfo and buchecha at adcc this year? Do they do much nogi?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
ADCC is invite and trials winners only, so it's always kind of guesswork to determine who's gonna be there.

That said, after his performance against Roger, I'd be shocked if Buchecha wasn't there one way or another.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

IBJJF posted:

USJJF is pleased to announce it has contracted with the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) to provide an anti-doping testing program at the Pan Jiu-Jitsu Championships, to be held at the Bren Event Center in Irvine, Calif., on March 20-24, 2013.

USADA is the national anti-doping organization for the United States, and runs the U.S. testing program for the Olympic, Paralympic, and Pan-American movements, in accordance with the World Anti-Doping Code.

The partnership with USADA, which allows for any athlete competing at the championships to be tested, represents a strong commitment by USJJF to clean, drug-free competition. For more information on USADA, please visit usada.org

Athletes looking for information about the testing process can visit usada.org/athletes

Gonna be funny reading how many high profile teams and competitors suddenly have "scheduling conflicts"

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Alternatively, they'll think that they know how to cycle whatever they're using and beat the tests, and fail hilariously.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

fatherdog posted:

Gonna be funny reading how many high profile teams and competitors suddenly have "scheduling conflicts"
drat it. I should have signed up for this years Pans. I could be a brown belt pan medalist when everyone else in my weight division pisses hot or no shows.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jan 23, 2013

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
Shades of LA 1984.

Speaking of which, if anyone has Mark Schultz's number I think I have the best idea ever

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Yuns posted:

drat it. I should have signed up for this years Pans. I could be a brown belt pan medalist when everyone else in my weight division pisses hot or no shows.

I hope them waiting until now to announce it was entirely deliberate to see how many pre-paid registrants no-show.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
Abu Dhabi Pro is going to be STACKED this year.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
http://www.graciemag.com/2013/01/inside-the-bjj-kumite-garry-tonons-take-part-2/

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
It's a doggone shame the Kumite has been so overshadowed by how loving disgusting everything else about team lloyd irvin seems to be.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

It's a doggone shame the Kumite has been so overshadowed by how loving disgusting everything else about team lloyd irvin seems to be.

Nah, I think it's pretty appropriate.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

Novum posted:

Nah, I think it's pretty appropriate.

Oh, definitely. I guess I should have said it's a doggone shame a cool tournament was put on by human garbage.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
Speaking of the Kumite episode 2 just came out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xV9XemySmqo

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

dokomoy posted:

Speaking of the Kumite episode 2 just came out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xV9XemySmqo

"Women always get the short end of the stick at grappling competitions, no one gives them the same level of respect as men"
*Shows two women fighting for 5 minutes at the beginning of the episode, then doesn't refer to them ever again*
Real groundbreaking moment there, Lloyd...

I'm enjoying watching this but it would be nice if they gave some kind of update at the beginning and end of the episode about what the actual "standings" are. Like I know that Cornelius hasn't lost yet and I think Sean Roberts only has one loss (getting kimura'd by the British guy this episode), and I think maybe the British guy only lost to Keenan? But it's super hard to keep track of.

I'm also amused that we've gone from bitching about closed guard to bitching about cartwheels. I guess that's progress...

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

colonel_korn posted:

"Women always get the short end of the stick at grappling competitions, no one gives them the same level of respect as men"
*Shows two women fighting for 5 minutes at the beginning of the episode, then doesn't refer to them ever again*
Real groundbreaking moment there, Lloyd...

Lloyd Irvin isn't too keen on empowering women(unless it makes him money.)

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008
It's really interesting to me that both episodes have had a 'psych out forfeit' in them. I think it really shows how mentally/emotionally taxing endurance grappling can be, even for experienced fighters.

What do you guys think about these injuries? It looks to me like everyone's falling for the 16 second calf slicer routine and then being like "This can't be! I'm supposed to be fighting for another 30m at least! I just won't tap. Oh no now I'm injured!"

Also I don't know if there's any honor in a format like this but personally I cringe every time someone goes for a toehold. That poo poo's just weak IMO

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
What's wrong with toeholds?

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Dangersim posted:

Dangerous stuff really. Doesn't really feel like much until your foot in on upside down.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Novum posted:

Dangerous stuff really. Doesn't really feel like much until your foot in on upside down.

They are brown belts, they should know that. If they don't tap it is their own drat fault.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

CivilDisobedience posted:

Also I don't know if there's any honor in a format like this but personally I cringe every time someone goes for a toehold. That poo poo's just weak IMO

:lol:

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Tezcatlipoca posted:

They are brown belts, they should know that. If they don't tap it is their own drat fault.

Maybe so, I'm just offering up potential reasons that toe-holds are bad. Not trying to say they shouldn't be allowed.

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008

Dangersim posted:

Well sure they're energy efficient but they also can cause serious injury with almost no effort, and in a situation like this where tensions are high and people aren't being super careful (and there's money on the line) it just seems like a recipe for disaster. If you can't attack the fingers why should you be allowed to attack the toes?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Well sure they're energy efficient but they also can cause serious injury with almost no effort, and in a situation like this where tensions are high and people aren't being super careful it just seems like a recipe for disaster. If you can't attack the fingers why should you be allowed to attack the toes?

Maybe you should learn what toeholds are before you talk about them.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

If you can't attack the fingers why should you be allowed to attack the toes?

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
We're approaching mobn levels of grapple-chat.

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Maybe you should learn what toeholds are before you talk about them.

I'm pretty sure I know what they are. You secure the foot and then curl the toes 'under' with your palm to sub. If you do it too fast and hard you gently caress up the foot and if you do it too slow they kick you off, so it's a delicate balance. No?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

origami posted:

We're approaching mobn levels of grapple-chat.

We're way beyond that point.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

I'm pretty sure I know what they are. You secure the foot and then curl the toes 'under' with your palm to sub. If you do it too fast and hard you gently caress up the foot and if you do it too slow they kick you off, so it's a delicate balance. No?

No.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lYsi1Y-rGY

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Personally it makes me sick seeing someone go for the Anaconda choke, it's irresponsible and dangerous, not to mention animal abuse to use a snake in a fight.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Chexoid posted:

Personally it makes me sick seeing someone go for the Anaconda choke, it's irresponsible and dangerous, not to mention animal abuse to use a snake in a fight.

That's nothing compared to the mata leon. BJJ breeds a culture of animal cruelty.

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008

That just looks like a normal footlock to me. What I know as a toehold involves curling the toes under towards the heel like you're trying to fold the foot in half, and it HURTS. What's that called?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Edit: I can't read.

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

That just looks like a normal footlock to me. What I know as a toehold involves curling the toes under towards the heel like you're trying to fold the foot in half, and it HURTS. What's that called?

It's not called anything, because competent grapplers don't bother with useless crap like that.