Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Evil Canadian posted:

If you go to hard right away does that disable tutorials? I love a challenge but my knowledge of how everything works is a bit limited. I know for FE12 picking anything but normal disabled tutorials.

Go to the settings menu and disable them, or go to the tutorials menu and view them all, or play on Hard difficulty or higher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

According to Serenes Forest, the OST for the game will be out in a few months time, 27th March. It's not been officially confirmed, but it seems likely at this point. It will have 5 discs, 4 with all the music (92 tracks) and the fifth one will have the voices and other stuff.

In Japan, obviously.

Terper fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jan 26, 2013

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Based on the Demo, the enemies in Hard aren't really any stronger than Normal, but there are more of them. The jump to Lunatic seems to double enemy stats, though, and give bosses them all better weapons. The play styles are totally different. Hard can still enable, at least in the first two stages, some tactics that keep all four (six) characters liquid and able to attack/heal in the same round. In Lunatic, my best strategy for getting past the prologue stage without losing Chrom/The Avatar is to play very defensively, and really lean on Fred's ability to one-shot Myrmidons and Mages.

It feels a bit strange, constantly backing off and drawing fire back to where I can deal with it, vs. rushing in and being able to 1-2 Play the enemy between Chrom's sword and The Avatar's magic, and not lose Lissa to a single attack.

I'll probably play Hard-Classic in the full game, since I imagine the challenge will ramp up after awhile, and I do want to keep most of my hair, but the Demo's jump between Normal to Hard is not nearly as dramatic as the jump between Hard to Lunatic. I can only imagine what Insane is like. I assume it's Lunatic stats plus double the enemy count, but it may be worse!

HackensackBackpack fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 27, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

No, enemies get stronger on Hard for certain. It's just a more straightforward ramping up.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Lunatic and Insane probably has the smallest jump in difficulty. Insane just gives enemies special skills, some of which always activate.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Strange Quark posted:

Lunatic and Insane probably has the smallest jump in difficulty. Insane just gives enemies special skills, some of which always activate.
Except that the special skills are ridiculous stuff like Luna or Vantage.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Endorph posted:

Except that the special skills are ridiculous stuff like Luna or Vantage.

Not just any old Luna or Vantage. No, ALWAYS activating Luna or Vantage. Be afraid.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

ImpAtom posted:

No, enemies get stronger on Hard for certain. It's just a more straightforward ramping up.
Apparently one difference between Normal and Hard is that on Normal enemies do not necessarily have skills, not even the skills for their class. Some may have skills anyway, but it's not guaranteed. On Hard and above, enemies will at least have their class skills, and on Lunatic+/Insane/Whatever they get those special enemy-only skills designed to destroy you.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

One other important difference between Normal and Hard is that on Hard, enemy reinforcements will move the same turn they arrive.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

RuBisCO posted:

One other important difference between Normal and Hard is that on Hard, enemy reinforcements will move the same turn they arrive.

Selecting Hard toggles on rear end in a top hat Reinforcements? Hmm.

Still probably gonna start on Hard Casual. "Just gonna move my healer up here-- and now there's six Paladins with Silver Lances and I'm already reaching for the Power button."

Slate Action fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jan 26, 2013

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

RuBisCO posted:

Ugh, really? I want to play Hard because Normal was actually kind of boring, but rear end in a top hat Reinforcements is a huge turnoff.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Zurai posted:

Ugh, really? I want to play Hard because Normal was actually kind of boring, but rear end in a top hat Reinforcements is a huge turnoff.

If it's anything like FE12 all you have to do is treat all fortresses like murderous deathtraps that must be plugged.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zurai posted:

rear end in a top hat reinforcements aren't that bad. Don't get me wrong, they're annoying, but there are very few situations where reinforcements don't come from either the edge of the map, a fortress, or behind the boss.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Reinforcements always show up in pretty obvious places. Don't leave your healer in the middle of a bunch of unguarded fortresses or at least camp some guys on top of them if you have to do that.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Endorph posted:

rear end in a top hat reinforcements aren't that bad. Don't get me wrong, they're annoying, but there are very few situations where reinforcements don't come from either the edge of the map, a fortress, or behind the boss.

To be fair "edge of the map" becomes a pretty nebulous distinction when 10 move dracoknights and 12 move dragons enter the picture in FE12.

vvvvv They also get 2 range on lunatic and above so that 12 move ends up equaling 14 range. That's fun to plan around!

Perfect Potato fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jan 26, 2013

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Perfect Potato posted:

To be fair "edge of the map" becomes a pretty nebulous distinction when 10 move dracoknights and 12 move dragons enter the picture in FE12.

Don't forget those dragons had 30 attack. I put down FE12 because of that bullshit.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I don't know when the hell did rear end in a top hat reinforcements became a thing. If Hector Hard Mode had instant turn reinforcements, I would've broken about 4 GBA's by now.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

I don't know when the hell did rear end in a top hat reinforcements became a thing. If Hector Hard Mode had instant turn reinforcements, I would've broken about 4 GBA's by now.
They were a thing in early FEs, they disappeared for most of the US-released ones, then they came back in the higher difficulties recently.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be honest I like them in Awakening. They're not random, they show up in sensible places and discourage you from doing stupid poo poo. I hated 'em in FE12 tho'.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah, in FE6 I remember Dragon Rider reinforcements showing up smack dab in the middle of the map, right on top of some mountains, and it was kinda bullshit.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

To be honest I like them in Awakening. They're not random, they show up in sensible places and discourage you from doing stupid poo poo. I hated 'em in FE12 tho'.

That's good to hear, I like the idea of reinforcements moving when they appear because it encourages being cautious and setting up formations at all times, but that depends on them being placed logically and fairly.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

ImpAtom posted:

It was pretty stupid, yeah. Most maps had several forts that seemed to serve no real purpose and were obviously reinforcement spawn points -- except reinforcement triggers were completely arbitrary so you had to either take careful baby steps through the map or plug the fortresses and lose a bunch of experience.

Worse, sometimes the reinforcements came from less conspicuous fortresses, like ones you'd use as choke points or for defensive walls. The one map against the Fire Clan with a bunch of red dragons was awful for this: you'd take one step too many towards the boss and, surprise, 6-8 reinforcement units spawn on top of your army and right behind it.

FE12 had a bunch of weird triggers honestly, like these Dracoknights on the third map who absolutely refuse to come off their mountain perch or move at all on normal/hard unless you dare to try to shop at the armory.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

FE6 is the only one I've played with rear end in a top hat reinforcements and it was awful (the reinforcements, I liked the game as a whole well enough otherwise). At least that settles my dilemma of whether I should try Hard mode in Awakening or not.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

Cake Attack posted:

That's good to hear, I like the idea of reinforcements moving when they appear because it encourages being cautious and setting up formations at all times, but that depends on them being placed logically and fairly.

The biggest problem with reinforcements in 6 is that the maps just aren't large enough for them to be fair regardless of where they spawn.

I'm curious how a rule that reinforcements can move but not attack when they spawn would play. Ideally reinforcement location and timing would be sane enough that this wouldn't actually be noticable in practice. Dragons up in your grill are cool, but getting sniped from nowhere is not.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Heavy neutrino posted:

It was pretty stupid, yeah. Most maps had several forts that seemed to serve no real purpose and were obviously reinforcement spawn points -- except reinforcement triggers were completely arbitrary so you had to either take careful baby steps through the map or plug the fortresses and lose a bunch of experience.

Worse, sometimes the reinforcements came from less conspicuous fortresses, like ones you'd use as choke points or for defensive walls. The one map against the Fire Clan with a bunch of red dragons was awful for this: you'd take one step too many towards the boss and, surprise, 6-8 reinforcement units spawn on top of your army and right behind it.

FE12 had a bunch of weird triggers honestly, like these Dracoknights on the third map who absolutely refuse to come off their mountain perch or move at all on normal/hard unless you dare to try to shop at the armory.

Yeah there were 6 on the right side on lunatic and only three moved. I was confused about their trigger when I got the other 3 to advance a couple times till I realized they only ever went after my army when I had Palla engage the master seal Dracoknight on the other side of the loving map. Everything about 12's hard modes are weird and arbitrary.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Francis posted:

I'm curious how a rule that reinforcements can move but not attack when they spawn would play. Ideally reinforcement location and timing would be sane enough that this wouldn't actually be noticable in practice. Dragons up in your grill are cool, but getting sniped from nowhere is not.
The main problem with that is enemies in FE are very rarely a threat at all on the player phase. It's why reverse mode in FE12 is such a challenge. Enemies very rarely have high defensive stats in both categories, so you can just send either a mage to poke them from range (enemies with 1-2 ranged weapons are rare and 1-2 range weapons are very inaccurate) or a physical damage dealer who can dodge/tank the counterattack if they can't kill them in one blow. Very rarely do you actually have to be careful about attacking for fear of the counterattack, minus stuff like having a Pegasus Knight attack an archer from range for some reason.

So an enemy moving closer but not attacking would just be an enemy that gets killed sooner.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

Heavy neutrino posted:

... What? Is that seriously the trigger? I... I never knew. That's ridiculous. That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Adelheid posted:

... What? Is that seriously the trigger? I... I never knew. That's ridiculous. That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

I could also trigger them by flying my peg knight MU to within about three squares of them. Otherwise, yeah, the armory is basically it, they just sit there.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Well, they do say in one of the houses that the armory is in cahoots with the bad guys, but I always cleared the Wyverns before hitting the armory and was confused why there were no reinforcements or anything. Now I understand what they really meant.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Heavy neutrino posted:

That is a hilariously dickish honey trap, and shows IntSys knows its player base all too well.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
It's like every game needs one map that's a clusterfuck of terrible design. Unfortunate that 12's is so early in the game, but at least it's not as bad as Battle Before Dawn.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

Serifina posted:

I could also trigger them by flying my peg knight MU to within about three squares of them. Otherwise, yeah, the armory is basically it, they just sit there.

I mean, yeah, I knew they attacked if you got close, that's what I did. And on Lunatic they'll attack if anyone is in range of them. I always just thought the guy who says "the armory here is in cahoots with the enemy" was making stuff up.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
It's almost merciful of IS really. I mean, sure their reinforcements exist just to gently caress you up but they did warn you! :suicide:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Neat fact on that. If you merely look into the armory and then cancel out with 'b', they still activate. This allows you to pull them into you and engage on your terms.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
So okay, Awakening people

Lets say I have Cordelia as a waifu and I get her to learn Lightning Speed and My Unit learns Quick Slash from Demon Fighter. Can I pass those skills, one from each parent, onto the kid?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Captain Oblivious posted:

Lets say I have Cordelia as a waifu and I get her to learn Lightning Speed and My Unit learns Quick Slash from Demon Fighter. Can I pass those skills, one from each parent, onto the kid?

You can't pass on DLC skills. Female characters can never have Quick Slash.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Zore posted:

You can't pass on DLC skills. Female characters can never have Quick Slash.

Mother fuckers! :argh:

There has to be a more thorough write up on the rules for this poo poo somewhere.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
My turn! At what point does Chrom have to get married? I heard it was plot mandated, so I want to know about how much time I have to get Chrom a wife that can pump up the kids skill stat.

If this should be behind spoiler tags or removed or something, just say so and it shall be done.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Captain Oblivious posted:

Question.

What the gently caress is a waifu?

Also, related, is there a generally accepted pairings list for the best results for children? Just out of curiosity, because I know FE4 has something similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

BrightWing posted:

My turn! At what point does Chrom have to get married? I heard it was plot mandated, so I want to know about how much time I have to get Chrom a wife that can pump up the kids skill stat.

If this should be behind spoiler tags or removed or something, just say so and it shall be done.

End of Chapter 11. Just a Chapter Number, but I'm spoiling it just in case.

• Locked thread