Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
edit: problem solvered.

fuckpot fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Jan 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Heran Bago posted:

In Team Fortress 2 I get high frames per second most always above 120 but the tearing is awful. For this particular game though turning on Vsync creates input lag, and turning on fps limiting creates jittering.

Would a 120 Hz monitor help? If so would I need to Vsync at 120 for an appreciable difference?

e: Some serious research tells me yes, this is what I want.
I ended up getting a BenQ XL2420T based on gamer recommendations, reviews, stats, and price. I'll report back with my impressions next month.

In your GPU drivers put 'Maximum pre-rendered frames' down to 1 when you turn vsync on. That should eliminate all input lag, if it doesn't try 1. It's called that in the nVidia drivers anyway, dunno about ATI.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

:suicide:
Thanks, I might just Craigslist the monitor if 0 or 1 prerendered frames works out on the old one. I tried forcing triple buffering before but this is different.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Heran Bago posted:

In Team Fortress 2 I get high frames per second most always above 120 but the tearing is awful. For this particular game though turning on Vsync creates input lag, and turning on fps limiting creates jittering.

Would a 120 Hz monitor help? If so would I need to Vsync at 120 for an appreciable difference?

e: Some serious research tells me yes, this is what I want.
I ended up getting a BenQ XL2420T based on gamer recommendations, reviews, stats, and price. I'll report back with my impressions next month.

I've always had good results turning on vsync on Source-engine games, but I also use ATI because every Nvidia card I've ever purchased was a failure to have any real functionality or image quality sacrificed for XTREME FEEPS.

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Four measures of cheap Vodka combined with a bottle of Bawls
Lipstick Apathy
Great post.

120hz and 125fps in quake3 is probably the only thing I miss about my old CRT screens from long ago.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Heran Bago posted:

:suicide:
Thanks, I might just Craigslist the monitor if 0 or 1 prerendered frames works out on the old one. I tried forcing triple buffering before but this is different.

If it's a triple buffering option in game it should work, the triple buffering option in the nvidia CP is for OpenGL only. The only way to force triple buffering in games that don't have an option is D3DOverrider. Or you could just use Adaptive Vsync instead.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I'm trying to run a three monitor setup (because I am an insane person) and I have a GeForce GTX550Ti.

A,B: 1920x1080, C: 1440x900

I'm currently running my original monitors (A and B) off the DVI. I'd like to hook monitor A into the Mini HDMI port and monitor C into the DVI. (It took me far to long to realize it was a Mini HDMI port and not a regular HDMI.) I looked around the internet to see if the card would even support three independent monitors at once, but I couldn't come up with a clear answer. So, I'm wondering if anyone can confirm that I would be able to run these all at once, or if I'd need some ridiculous outside thing to make this dumb idea happen. I'm sure other people have barged into these threads asking about this sort of thing before, so apologies in advance for the dumb question.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Fermi cards will simply not run three monitors at once. You will need either a second video card, an AMD or Kepler-based Nvidia card, to run one screen off integrated graphics (if you have them), or some other solution like a USB-based extra monitor dongle (which is only suitable for largely-static content like chat or spreadsheets).

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Factory Factory posted:

Fermi cards will simply not run three monitors at once. You will need either a second video card, an AMD or Kepler-based Nvidia card, to run one screen off integrated graphics (if you have them), or some other solution like a USB-based extra monitor dongle (which is only suitable for largely-static content like chat or spreadsheets).

Really can't afford another graphics card right now, so that's out. As far as the dongle, my plan was to run all my chat stuff on the new monitor, so that could work, I guess. Gonna look into that.

edit: Looks like something like this could work.

kidcoelacanth fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jan 23, 2013

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
For that much, you might as well get a graphics card. The average GeForce 610 is only $2 more on Newegg, with shipping, and that you could use to play videos and whatnot. And it'd drive a fourth monitor if you ever went that way. Hell, Zotac has one with a $20 rebate. Or if you have the slots, $10 more gets you one with a big passive heatsink for zero-noise whatnot.

Factory Factory fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jan 23, 2013

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Oh, well, that could very well work then. I didn't realize (forgot) that they were so relatively inexpensive. Would there be any problems that come with integrating a second card?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Make sure your motherboard has another slot for it.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
In general, no. Sticking with two Nvidia Fermi cards? Hell no. As long as you have the slots.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Sweet. Thanks a ton.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I asked over in the PC Building thread and they gave me some guidance as well as pointing me here. With working a ton of overtime, I figured I would treat myself to a new monitor. The dilemma: I can either buy a decent 120hz monitor or one the vast array of Korean IPS monitors on Ebay. I game exclusively with a little bit of internet. Any suggestions? :)

edit: figured this may help with suggestions but I'm shooting for a budget of $400-500

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
What's your video card gonna be? You can hit 120fps at 1920x1080 pretty drat easily in many games with a mid-range GPU but the graphical intensity of the titles you're playing does matter.

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Jan 24, 2013

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Right now I have a 7870 OC'd a decent amount. I'm not opposed to doing Crossfire if needed.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
Crossposting from the post your real desktop thread:

Gorilla Salsa posted:

Does anybody know if a monitor stand exists for this kind of setup:

Alternatively, I've already got a dual monitor stand, but I can't seem to find any stands that would allow a 27" monitor to peek out above two 24" monitors in portrait.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Wouldn't you want the bigger monitor at the bottom? There's lots of monitor arms that are highly adjustable, but the ones that can hold heavy screens are going to cost $200 or more. It might be cheaper to get a wall-mount one if that's an option for you.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Gorilla Salsa posted:

Crossposting from the post your real desktop thread:

This one looks close though the vertical posts might not be tall enough:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082808&p_id=5559&seq=1&format=2

Check out the setup video on that page.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I just realized my lovely TN panel at work is a godsend, as it's abysmal viewing angles mean no one can see when I'm dicking around on the internet unless they're basically behind me hovering over my shoulder.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Squibbles posted:

This one looks close though the vertical posts might not be tall enough:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082808&p_id=5559&seq=1&format=2

Check out the setup video on that page.

It looks like this will do! Thanks. :)

Slark
Nov 29, 2012

Fast as Wind
Silent as Forest
Ferocious as Fire
Immovable as Mountain

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I just realized my lovely TN panel at work is a godsend, as it's abysmal viewing angles mean no one can see when I'm dicking around on the internet unless they're basically behind me hovering over my shoulder.

That's exactly also what I used to wonder. Why the narrow viewing angle of TN panels has to be a disadvantage? It offers nice privacy protection. :holy:

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Best way to clean a matte LCD? Microfiber is still smudging, when the monitor is off, it looks like a smudgy mess.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
So this is the 3rd U2412M I've exchanged through Best Buy, and is the 2rd time it's had backlight bleeding. Makes playing any game with dark levels annoying. At this point, I'm wondering if it's best to just go through Dell for this next exchange or if I should just keep playing the Best Buy lottery.

I'm kind of kicking myself for not keeping the first and non backlight bleeding one I had, after realizing I could have fixed the power button LED leaking through the bezel problem with a folded piece of electrical tape :bang:

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

zer0spunk posted:

Best way to clean a matte LCD? Microfiber is still smudging, when the monitor is off, it looks like a smudgy mess.

Use distilled water. You could also mix it with white vinegar or just buy a cleaning solution. Don't press on the screen.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.

Slark posted:

That's exactly also what I used to wonder. Why the narrow viewing angle of TN panels has to be a disadvantage? It offers nice privacy protection. :holy:

In the 90s IBM or Toshiba or someone sold a laptop that didn't have top polarizer layer. You could only see the screen if you wore the accompanying polarized glasses.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

evensevenone posted:

In the 90s IBM or Toshiba or someone sold a laptop that didn't have top polarizer layer. You could only see the screen if you wore the accompanying polarized glasses.

You can modify many LCD screens to work like that by simply removing the top polarizer. How successfully you can put it back together varies with the model, and you have to deal with wearing polarized sunglasses to see it.

NerdPolice
Jun 18, 2005

GINYU FORCE RULES

EightBit posted:

You can modify many LCD screens to work like that by simply removing the top polarizer. How successfully you can put it back together varies with the model, and you have to deal with wearing polarized sunglasses to see it.
Equally there are many third party films that you simply slap on that do a similar job. At work we have a few, not exactly sure how they work but if you aren't sitting dead on you can't see anything. It is odd because when I am standing the angle changes enough that it looks like the monitor is turned off.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
So I'm looking at one of the Korean 27" monitors, as they seem about the same price as the U2412M on Amazon, but I'm not sure if my 7850 HD would be able to cope with the latest games. Also, something else I haven't seen people talk about, is how well these monitors display older or other games in lower resolutions?

KuroKisei
Feb 17, 2004
conformist
Removed

KuroKisei fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Jan 28, 2013

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Four measures of cheap Vodka combined with a bottle of Bawls
Lipstick Apathy

Carpet posted:

So I'm looking at one of the Korean 27" monitors, as they seem about the same price as the U2412M on Amazon, but I'm not sure if my 7850 HD would be able to cope with the latest games. Also, something else I haven't seen people talk about, is how well these monitors display older or other games in lower resolutions?

Actually it's mentioned quite frequently that they don't have built in scalers, and is part of the reason they're so cheap.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Welp, my bad. How do people scale stuff up/down to higher/lower resolutions then?

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Carpet posted:

Welp, my bad. How do people scale stuff up/down to higher/lower resolutions then?

Most video cards can handle the scaling themselves. Barring that, run everything in native :v:

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Carpet posted:

I think the gpu can do the scaling itself without issue. But if you have another video source that can't output 1440p (like a console), you'll be out of luck.

since
Nov 5, 2009
Dell.ca has Ultrasharp U2412M monitors on sale for $90 off retail price. Actually all their Ultrasharps are on sale till February 1st I think.

I just ordered 3 for my new set-up.

Dirty Deeds Thunderchief
Dec 12, 2006

So I recently bought a new laptop (Samsung Chronos 7) and though it's a lovely machine, I'm an artist, and the color calibration is a little bit... way off. There's really no way to fix it, I guess, not to get it like what I'm used to. My old laptop, a Dell Precision M4400, apparently has great color calibration which I never really noticed until I switched. The M4400 still works fine, so now I'm wondering if it's at all possible to use the old laptop as a second monitor for my new one. That way I get the correct color calibration from the M4400's screen and the power of my Chronos for art programs. And also so I don't have to buy a bulky monitor to hook up to my laptop.

What do you all think? This is possible, right? And if so, how will I go about doing it? And if not... what monitor would you all recommend? I need affordable, and CORRECT color representation - it doesn't need to be very large, though. Price is the killer here. I spent a good chunk on this laptop so I don't want to have to pour more money into it.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
It's not possible.

What gamut are you looking for, sRGB for web or wider stuff for print? Most Dell Ultrasharp monitors are pretty drat solid entry-level pro monitors, mostly doing sRGB. The U2410/U2413 and some other, larger screens (e.g U2713H but not the HM) are wide-gamut and need a hardware calibrator to get perfect, though they have some pre-calibrated presets; they also cost much more than the sRGB models.

Dirty Deeds Thunderchief
Dec 12, 2006

Factory Factory posted:

It's not possible.

What gamut are you looking for, sRGB for web or wider stuff for print? Most Dell Ultrasharp monitors are pretty drat solid entry-level pro monitors, mostly doing sRGB. The U2410/U2413 and some other, larger screens (e.g U2713H but not the HM) are wide-gamut and need a hardware calibrator to get perfect, though they have some pre-calibrated presets; they also cost much more than the sRGB models.

Well there go my hopes and dreams of not having to buy another monitor.

I'm really not familiar with the technical terms, and if need be I'll go back and re-read all of the OPs, but Ultrasharp sounds about right. I'm a graphic artist, so all I really, truly care about is accurate color representation. Apparently my old laptop had "A crisp 15.4" high-resolution display including the 100 percent Adobe® Color Gamut RGB LED display." so whatever I can get that is as close to that as possible, the better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Adobe RGB is a wider gamut than sRGB, focusing especially on enhanced range in blues and greens. You'll need a wide-gamut monitor to display all of those colors.