Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Got my Resident Evil games today from a fellow goon (whose name I'm forgetting).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Mill Village posted:

Got my Resident Evil games today from a fellow goon (whose name I'm forgetting).

Those games are great. 0 is kind of silly since it has the grimy aesthetic of the remake, combined with one of the most ludicrous stories in the franchise, but that just adds to the charm.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:

The white cap doesn't have the Kellogg embroidery (?), just the Nintendo logo. The bill is denim.

The Zelda cap is embroidered. "Zelda" is really thick and protrudes around an eighth of an inch. It has the N64 logo embroidered on the back.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Midnight Raider posted:

So since you never responded to my PM, but closed up your sales thread, should I assume someone beat me out for that giant N64 chest?

Hi no sorry I got sidetracked, I'll PM you the info in just a sec here.

Edit: Why in the world would it be cheaper to OVERNIGHT something then to send it priority mail. What madness is this.

PopeCrunch fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jan 26, 2013

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

flyboi posted:

Used game store was having a 50% off everything today. Total.loving.pandemonium.

Never going to one of those again, all the poo poo I wanted was swooped up and they had only been open for like 20 minutes. There were people walking around carrying like 40 games, just grabbing poo poo so they could settle down and decide what they wanted.

However, I did get a copy of blops 2 & ninja gaiden 3 for wii u for $30 so :toot: to that.

The last time I witnessed a retro game store having a sale was Black Friday and it was one day only and it was buy two get one free. The ones like Digital press hardly have any sales ever, yet they buy up other video game places stock/buy out the business.

I just got Secret of Evermore from them the other day, and it had labels from the other former retro game stores(I don't know why they didn't bother cleaning up a 20 dollar game). But they're literally the only place in Northern New Jersey.

Also how do you get sharpie marker off of an SNES cart? Would a magic sponge work or will that do some sort of damage to it?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Cicero posted:

It was a joke about how there's no such thing as 'SoM3', but I wish there was.

It's called "Legend of Mana" and it's the best game in the series :colbert:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

al-azad posted:

It also seems like it's now even more expensive than Secret of Mana. That game got pretty middle of the road reveiws when I bought it with Chrono Cross.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

WendigoJohnson posted:

Also how do you get sharpie marker off of an SNES cart? Would a magic sponge work or will that do some sort of damage to it?

Rubbing alcohol and patience

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

WendigoJohnson posted:

I just got Secret of Evermore from them the other day, and it had labels from the other former retro game stores(I don't know why they didn't bother cleaning up a 20 dollar game). But they're literally the only place in Northern New Jersey.

"I don't know why they didn't bother cleaning it up."
"How do I clean it up?" :v:

I'm just playin' but seriously I don't know of many shops that clean every single game that comes through. And most people that aren't this thread don't seem to care as much about stickers and Sharpie. Anyway, rubbing alcohol + electric toothbrush is great for the scrubbing - alternatively you can try the dry erase marker method. Draw over Sharpie with dry erase marker. Rub off.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
Ugh. Stickers are bad enough but there's nothing that will make me disinterested in an old video game faster than some dudes name or a stock number or something written in sharpie

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

al-azad posted:

Legend is actually part 4. Here's all of info for spergin'
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mana_%28series%29

Also I'm pretty sure that saying Legend is the best puts your psychological profile in line with Hitler.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Brillo_Pad posted:

Ugh. Stickers are bad enough but there's nothing that will make me disinterested in an old video game faster than some dudes name or a stock number or something written in sharpie

Yeah for whatever reason they felt the need to write it over the entire backside of the cart in big rear end letters. However this isn't as bad as my copy of Super Busters bros. which has the cardboard reminants of a security device stuck on the sticker itself. I'm still hesitant to try to remove it because SBB was not that cheap to get.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Hey does anyone have an extra NES Gradius for me :v:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

WendigoJohnson posted:

It also seems like it's now even more expensive than Secret of Mana. That game got pretty middle of the road reveiws when I bought it with Chrono Cross.

Thinking back to it, LoM was a very different game. We were neck deep in Japanese RPGs that still followed traditional models like a world map, progressively good 3D graphics, turn based battles, linear narrative structure. People didn't know what to think of it but I always thought it was one of the most unique games of its time. It had a slightly randomized non-linear narrative, multiple leading characters, beautiful graphics, fantastic music, and a really deep crafting system. I always compare subsystems in RPGs to Legend of Mana because what other game lets you make your own equipment, spells, and a loving robot*? I think the story threw people off the most but I thought the main arcs were great and even the side stories were good enough.

*Dark Cloud 2, which oddly shares a lot of similarities with LoM in design.

RVWinkle posted:

Legend is actually part 4. Here's all of info for spergin'
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mana_%28series%29

Also I'm pretty sure that saying Legend is the best puts your psychological profile in line with Hitler.

Seiken Densetsu 4, but Secret of Mana 3 for us natives.

And yeah, I rock Legend of Mana till the death of me. I also prefer Secret over Seiken Densetsu 3. SD3 felt really rigid to me, like the battle system is running at half speed. You can also gently caress yourself based on who you pick for your team and unless you read ahead you wouldn't know this until you're deep into the game. It's a good game but not at the top of the list.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 26, 2013

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Mill Village posted:

You can throw RE:0 in the trash where it belongs.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Hey guys, I think I have more games than that reddit guy:

not pictured: CD Burner, spindle of CD-Rs, modchips

univbee fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 26, 2013

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

thedouche posted:

Yeah, I was typing wrong. Yeah it worked well. I think it makes you turn faster too.

Yeah I bought the doom 3 BFG collection (for $20) and it's worth it to have Doom 1+2 with a nice wireless controller.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Just got this game today

StellarX
Aug 22, 2005

Mission Complete.
You are the greatest player.

univbee posted:

I'm starting to feel a little guilty and sad that I sold most of my cart games for various systems to pay for a few flashcarts.

Except my Genesis collection, but that's only because the effort to sell them would be more trouble than what they would sell for.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

al-azad posted:

And yeah, I rock Legend of Mana till the death of me. I also prefer Secret over Seiken Densetsu 3. SD3 felt really rigid to me, like the battle system is running at half speed. You can also gently caress yourself based on who you pick for your team and unless you read ahead you wouldn't know this until you're deep into the game. It's a good game but not at the top of the list.

Well, if you want to go by the Japanese naming convention, Seiken Densetsu 4 is actually Dawn of Mana on the PS2.

univbee posted:

Your picture just made me realize that my copy of SD2SNES doesn't have screws like yours.

It's fine though, the case actually snaps together and is plenty secure without screws.

fatpat268 fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jan 26, 2013

Baldrash
Oct 26, 2005
Every once in a while, eBay's not terrible for deals. Just bought a Popful Mail strategy guide for $18.50 shipped, when they're normally $50+. Now my Popful Mail set is complete, and maybe it's time to work on a complete Working Designs Sega CD set.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

al-azad posted:

I can understand because I still insist that Final Fantasy 4 is actually Final Fantasy II. What you're doing is taking the name of the second title in the series and then renaming all of the others so by your argument you should be calling it Final Fantasy Adventue 3.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

al-azad posted:

I thought that this game was bad, because no one ever talks about it, while people talk about Secret of Mana all the time, and even the never-released-in-the-US SoM2 gets more discussion (and I've never had a Playstation so I haven't played it before).

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Speaking of games that nobody talks about, does anyone know what YS games were released in America? I find the Japanese list confusing enough with just how many sequels that were not true sequels and had multiple versions/duplicate sequels/remakes/reimagings.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

WendigoJohnson posted:

Speaking of games that nobody talks about, does anyone know what YS games were released in America? I find the Japanese list confusing enough with just how many sequels that were not true sequels and had multiple versions/duplicate sequels/remakes/reimagings.

Sure.

Ys 1 - Master System
Ys Books 1 & 2 - TurboCD
Legacy of Ys Books 1 & 2 - NDS
Ys 1/2 Eternal Complete - PC (Translation patch)
Ys 3 - SNES/GEN
Ys 4 Mask of the Sun - SFC (Translation patch)
Ys 4 Dawn of Ys - PC Engine CD (Translation patch)
Ys Oath in Felghana (remake of 3) - PC (Translation patch, later official Steam release), PSP
Ys Ark of Napishtim - PS2, PSP, PC (Translation patch for the latter)
Ys Origin - Steam
Ys Strategy -(Stay the gently caress away) DS
Ys SEVEN - PSP
Ys Online (lol)

I think the only two not currently in English in SOME form are Ys V and Foliage Ocean of Celceta.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

WendigoJohnson posted:

Ys Origin on Steam
Ys 1 on Master System
Ys Book 1 & 2 on Turbo CD/Virtual Console
Ys Chronicles (remake of I&II, includes Ys I&II Complete, another remake) PSP
Ys I & II on DS (I heard it's awful)
Ys III on Genesis/SNES
Ys Oath in Felghana (re-imagining of the Ys III story with Ys VI engine) PSP/Steam
Ys VI on PS2 and PSP (though I heard the PSP port is inferior)
Ys Seven on PSP

I think that's all of them?

Edit: Beaten, but my list only includes American retail releases. ^^^^^ You forgot Ys Typing Tutor.

Tobaccrow fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 26, 2013

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Doug Dinsdale posted:

The white cap doesn't have the Kellogg embroidery (?), just the Nintendo logo. The bill is denim.

The Zelda cap is embroidered. "Zelda" is really thick and protrudes around an eighth of an inch. It has the N64 logo embroidered on the back.

Holy crap, how can I get you to part with that Virtual Boy hat?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Tobaccrow posted:

^^^^^ You forgot Ys Typing Tutor.

gently caress. Time to hand in my Falcom fan badge. So much for today.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

univbee posted:

Yeah, that's how I'm doing collecting. However I did buy all the games that Wii cannot play properly or JRPGs I wanted for PS2. That collection is pretty much complete now except Tales of Symphonia 2 and a few PS2/PS3 JRPGs that I don't really care all that much about. I grab them whenever they're cheap. Got Blue Dragoon & Last Remnant for $15 today at the half-off sale.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong
So this is not completely retro game related but this thread is probably the best source of inspiration. I'm working on a little home decor project for my retro game room and I need some examples of retro game RPG shop signs. The kind that's usually some sort of hanging sign with a shield or a potion or whatever on it. I've spent some time googling this but it seems to be a hard subject to google and get useful results.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

univbee posted:

Nice flash cart set, I couldn't imagine having that setup on reddit since my family would kill me which is why I buy flash carts in the first place. I have a hard enough time explaining why I bought Xenoblade (and holy crap, I had no idea how much it's going for now).

Question though, what are the best GB(A) and DS flash carts to buy and where?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Island Nation posted:

Question though, what are the best GB(A) and DS flash carts to buy and where?

If you're not going to be using it on a 3DS, an Acekard 2i and an Ez-Flash-3-in-1 is a great combo. Cheap, too.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

kirbysuperstar posted:

If you're not going to be using it on a 3DS, an Acekard 2i and an Ez-Flash-3-in-1 is a great combo. Cheap, too.

I won't (Not interested in 3DS right now) so thanks.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Island Nation posted:

Nice flash cart set, I couldn't imagine having that setup on reddit since my family would kill me which is why I buy flash carts in the first place. I have a hard enough time explaining why I bought Xenoblade (and holy crap, I had no idea how much it's going for now).

Yea, I'm really bummed I didn't pick up Xenoblade myself. So, I'll be preordering Pandora's Tower and picking up The Last Story soon.

On a sidenote, I bought Radiant Historia on the DS for $18 on amazon a few months ago, and now it's already going for $60 on ebay. Crazy stuff.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

fatpat268 posted:

Yea, I'm really bummed I didn't pick up Xenoblade myself. So, I'll be preordering Pandora's Tower and picking up The Last Story soon.

On a sidenote, I bought Radiant Historia on the DS for $18 on amazon a few months ago, and now it's already going for $60 on ebay. Crazy stuff.

There was a reprint a few months ago but I guess that sold out just as fast.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

fatpat268 posted:

Mine's still sealed :shepface:

StellarX
Aug 22, 2005

Mission Complete.
You are the greatest player.
I'm really considering a PowerPak but I can't really seem to find a definitive list of what games don't work well on it. I'm assuming Castlevania III is one but if that's the only major title I may go ahead and get one. I was kinda waiting to get whatever flashcart Krikzz makes for the NES, but I figure it will be a very long time and when it does come out it will probably start out with similar compatibility issues.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
So I bought one of those Electronika Soviet Game & Watch clones that were mentioned earlier in the thread. This is "Mystery of the Ocean," which is actually Octopus. It's been moved into another case ("Merry Cook") which itself is pretty beaten up, has egged out sound/time set button holes, fiddly movement buttons and is missing the battery door, but it was fairly cheap even shipped from Belarus so I figured I'd take a gamble. It came with batteries which was a nice surprise.

It works fine but the octopus body is pretty faint. I wonder if it's burnt in, though the score/time seems to work fine. Basically it feels like a Soviet knockoff of a Nintendo product, and the fact that it still operates now makes me wonder how they cloned it (though they did so in the early 90s, over 10 years after Octopus, which probably helped).

JJJJJS
Sep 17, 2007
I have a serious question. Since we're all retro goons and most of us have been to a few retro game stores, I figure this might be the best place to ask. What do you want to see in a primarily retro game store? What sort of things do you like or dislike?

The short story here is that I and a couple guys are starting a store (and website) in Portland, OR. this year. I'll have my reproductions there as well as offering repairs on just about everything. We've got a good amount of stock built up since we've been working on this project for about a year so fortunately getting stock isn't an issue.

With any luck I'll finally be able to reclaim some space in the house which is being taken up with random game/repro stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

JJJJJS posted:

I have a serious question. Since we're all retro goons and most of us have been to a few retro game stores, I figure this might be the best place to ask. What do you want to see in a primarily retro game store? What sort of things do you like or dislike?

The short story here is that I and a couple guys are starting a store (and website) in Portland, OR. this year. I'll have my reproductions there as well as offering repairs on just about everything. We've got a good amount of stock built up since we've been working on this project for about a year so fortunately getting stock isn't an issue.

With any luck I'll finally be able to reclaim some space in the house which is being taken up with random game/repro stuff.

Biggest issue I've always had with retro stores is that nothing is really priced to sell. Stock just sits on the shelf for eons and they never seem to get rid of it, or discount it, and then use the funds to maybe buy new more interesting stock. Currently the retro stores I've seen are just flooded with Xbox and PS2 games and I've seen the same games sitting on the shelves for over 6 months.

There should really be a period of time where if something doesn't sell for ages it should be discounted so they can atleast move product and get new things.

• Locked thread