Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

How do you guys feel about the new Ghostbusters game?

I ground my way through Battleheart a few years back, but I recently quit Middle Manager of Justice due to boredom and frustration. The novelty of the theme wore off due to the constant speed bumps.
I enjoyed what I played of it (finished floor 2), but the controls can end up getting you killed - even on an ipad it's really bad at knowing what you;re trying to select when characters overlap even a little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
Just chiming in with a little CoH gameplay talk: gently caress fighting undead in that game. That is some overpowered bullshit that can kiss my rear end.

OMGzKakaniz
Mar 13, 2007

up-and coming pokemon trainer

:love: Justice
This is my first time playing through CoH and this may be blasphemy but I'd much rather just fight then deal with the story. The actual math three gameplay is seriously a blast.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yea, the story seems very tacked on and unnecessary.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

robodex posted:

well, i for one am very happy they QA'd temple run 2 as well as they did

my latest mission is "collect 100,000 coins." I think I'm gonna wait for a few updates before I play this game again

I am having this exact same problem except it took me tens of games to realise my lifetime coins wasn't going up. Been waiting for a patch for about a week. And I bought the (ludicrously expensive!) coin doubler.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

robodex posted:

well, i for one am very happy they QA'd temple run 2 as well as they did

my latest mission is "collect 100,000 coins." I think I'm gonna wait for a few updates before I play this game again
I'm really surprised that the sequel to a game that made so much money could have such terrible UI.

I never actually played the original but decided to try out the sequel and ugh what the heck? Makes you really appreciate the devs that know what they're doing with ui/design/menus/interface. Polish is probably the most important iOS gaming factor for me nowadays (since all the games are basically the same anyway).

teknetik
Jan 13, 2010

SO
JEWISH
What's the deal with Kairosoft? They're basically the only games I ever play on my phone and I noticed they haven't released anything in about three months.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Well you can get Beastie Bay for free by signing up for a Japanese apple account, download beastie bay, and boom! It's in English because your device is English.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

nutranurse posted:

Well you can get Beastie Bay for free by signing up for a Japanese apple account, download beastie bay, and boom! It's in English because your device is English.

I'm sure it's been mentioned in this thread before, but is there an easy guide on how to do this?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
1) On your computer open itunes
2) Change your itunes store nationality to Japan
3) Search Kairosoft, Download Beastie Bay (Make sure you're not logged into any account)
4) Sign up for a fake japanese account
4a) Just google "Japanese Zip-Code" and put whatever else you want for the rest of the information
5) On your iDevice sign into your japanese account, download Beastie Bay
6) Play your fake-pokemon/city-builder sim. It's pretty fun.

teknetik
Jan 13, 2010

SO
JEWISH

nutranurse posted:

3) Search Kairosoft, Download Beastie Bay (Make sure you're not logged into any account)
4a) Just google "Japanese Zip-Code" and put whatever else you want for the rest of the information

Thanks!

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor
For the four of you that don't read Toucharcade or have the app installed, it seems a mame emulator has sneaked onto the appstore again. Grab it before it's gone!

http://appshopper.com/games/gridlee

http://toucharcade.com/2013/01/26/mame-is-back-in-the-app-store-for-now-with-gridlee/

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Snagged the poo poo out of that MAME app.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

It's the same emulator that snuck on the app store the last three times, too. You'd think if Apple didn't want it there, they'd stop approving it. This one even admits its running on the emulator. It would have taken the reviewer a few seconds to pop in and see if the ROM file was easily accessible or replaceable.

For that matter, though, why doesn't Apple just allow emulators in the first place? One would assume it to be a piracy-prevention thing, but then it's pretty obvious, looking through the app store, that they don't give any number of fucks about anyone else's IP but their own.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

What's a good file manager to use with iMame? iExplore doesn't turn anything up in the app store.

Edit: Oh, I guess it's a PC app. I was hoping for something that could integrate with Dropbox on the iPad.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Fallom posted:

What's a good file manager to use with iMame? iExplore doesn't turn anything up in the app store.

Edit: Oh, I guess it's a PC app. I was hoping for something that could integrate with Dropbox on the iPad.

If you're jailbroken, you can check out iFile.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Emulation honestly does not work well on the iPhone screen. I was excited to try it too but gently caress imagine when all iOS games had virtual joysticks, but worse.

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor

Funkmaster General posted:

It's the same emulator that snuck on the app store the last three times, too. You'd think if Apple didn't want it there, they'd stop approving it. This one even admits its running on the emulator. It would have taken the reviewer a few seconds to pop in and see if the ROM file was easily accessible or replaceable.

For that matter, though, why doesn't Apple just allow emulators in the first place? One would assume it to be a piracy-prevention thing, but then it's pretty obvious, looking through the app store, that they don't give any number of fucks about anyone else's IP but their own.

They were fairly clever tbh, you have to run it once before you can start copying files across to it. It extracts the correct mame structure during the first run into the documents folder inside the game, then you need to copy some roms into that newly created roms folder. Until then it's completely transparent it's a mame emulator if you hadn't paid attention to the descriptive text but as soon as it sees extra files in the roms folder it opens out into the mame emulator. I can see how it sneaked past approval, especially considering how lazy they are e.g.Pokemon Yellow etc.

As for the emu, it's the most recent update, a mate who had the last one says this one completely kills the old one with the extra options it has inside it etc.

Shame it's not got the wiimote + classic controller support the jailbroken version has, that would be a thing of beauty.

As for file transfer tools http://itools.hk/cms/webpage31.htm has just replaced iExplorer on my pc, it's much better/faster etc.

Fazana fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jan 26, 2013

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.

nutranurse posted:

This 'change your nationality' stuff might actually be a good thing to throw into the OP.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Fazana posted:

For the four of you that don't read Toucharcade or have the app installed, it seems a mame emulator has sneaked onto the appstore again. Grab it before it's gone!

http://appshopper.com/games/gridlee

http://toucharcade.com/2013/01/26/mame-is-back-in-the-app-store-for-now-with-gridlee/

Grabbed this, curious to see how it runs even though I'll probably not use it beyond the novelty check. It's taking forever to download though.

eating_instructions
Oct 25, 2005
1) Twist it. 2) Lick the cream. 3) Dunk it in the milk? 4) AGGHHH IT BURNS!
Any have recommendations for something similar to The Room? I liked how it wasn't just brute-force tapping and you actually had to use your head most of the time. Nothing was frustratingly difficult either. Lovely game. Anything else like it that isn't the usual aimed-at-mothers hidden treasure type thing?

busfahrer
Feb 9, 2012

Ceterum censeo
Carthaginem
esse delendam

nutranurse posted:

Holy hell, do you have any idea how long I've tried to get the Netflix app in my country? I just tried this and it works.

Thanks, may your fridge never be empty!

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
So I downloaded New Star Soccer or whatever it's called after reading a few positive remarks in this thread, and paid to unlock the career mode. Question: Is this game deliberately slow at the beginning? I seem to be earning gently caress all from matches, and it seems very hard to progress in career mode unless every opportunity you have to influence the outcome of the game goes perfectly. Do I need to shell out on some more IAP/coin packs to get the ball rolling/make this game more playable? I like it in theory, but right now it's more irritating than anything else.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

nomapple posted:

So I downloaded New Star Soccer or whatever it's called after reading a few positive remarks in this thread, and paid to unlock the career mode. Question: Is this game deliberately slow at the beginning? I seem to be earning gently caress all from matches, and it seems very hard to progress in career mode unless every opportunity you have to influence the outcome of the game goes perfectly. Do I need to shell out on some more IAP/coin packs to get the ball rolling/make this game more playable? I like it in theory, but right now it's more irritating than anything else.

No, IAP isn't necessary. Work on getting your stats up and improving your relations with your teammates (more opportunities) and you'll start rolling.

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

So I just downloaded gridlee, is anyone having a lot of luck getting it to work? Whenever I try to play my Metal Slug ROMS it tells me I'm "missing one or more required ROM or CHD images."

Any ideas?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
So Beastie Bay is partially a town builder (like Dungeon village) but instead of uncontrolled NPCs running around it's a monster catch/raise/fight game like pokemon and you actually get to play (and explore a world?) instead of watch the AI play and fight stuff?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Picked up Zombie Block Party the other day and immediately went on a rampage against everything that wandered within range of whatever ordinance I could afford. Currently have just under a thousand zombies killed and my loud shooting spree continues to draw them in from every direction. I seem to be arming up slightly faster than they approach but it's starting to get a little hairy.

Went to the store a couple miles down the road a few minutes ago and expected to run into a huge shitstorm but nope, apparently they've all left that area and are headed straight to my house. If I hold out for another 200 kills or so then I'll have grenades and an AK47 and the hunters I planted will switch over to armed, so I'll probably be able to hold this ground against anything at that point. Of course when I go to University on Monday none of that will probably matter. I'm not sure there's any strategy I can use to survive that, but I'll take as many with me as I can when the time comes.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

ZBP is a GPS game? If it weren't for the fact that I only have an iPod, and need WiFi for any kind of connectivity, I might have to get this... then again, I'm going to Disney World in a month, and they have free WiFi in the parks and hotels...

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Kheldarn posted:

ZBP is a GPS game? If it weren't for the fact that I only have an iPod, and need WiFi for any kind of connectivity, I might have to get this... then again, I'm going to Disney World in a month, and they have free WiFi in the parks and hotels...

Yep.

So I've counted 7 distinct zombie players sending hordes at me from different angles (or at least they're close enough that their hordes are hearing me and wandering in on their own). The worst is the guy who's actually waiting until they get close and then popping frenzy and lurk on them. I've managed not to die yet so I'm not really sure how the mechanics work on the zombie side but it seems like he's doing it on purpose anyway. The golf course 2 blocks down is completely overrun with around 300+ that I can count and several lurked stacks so who knows how many in reality?

Another 80 kills or so and I'll have enough to buy that AK and start raining death on the whole lot of em.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I want to get into ZBP, but it seems like there's only one "spot" near my house, and it's got so many zombies I just get flattened if I try and attack it. Since I'm on wifi, the GPS just gets the same spot no matter what, so I can't escape an invasion and I just die. Maybe it sucks less if you can snipe and run, I don't know. How far do you have to move to escape being surrounded?

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012
So a few days back everyone was posting about being super excited about Clash of Heroes and I decided to grab it. Funny thing, when I searched for it the closest match I could find was Clash of Clans. After checking out the screens / descriptions I decided that it was probably the game everyone was talking about and grabbed it and started playing.

After about 5 minutes I thought to myself "really, this is game that SA loves? It seems like a cool idea but goddamn I'm still in the tutorial and the IAP is just being shoved down my loving throat."

I lasted a few more days before realizing that Clash of Heroes just wasn't out yet, and the game I was playing really was a piece of poo poo. It's a shame cuz I think the idea behind Clash of Clans is pretty cool and really appeals to me but goddamn, it's the worst IAP whorish game I've ever played.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Javid posted:

I want to get into ZBP, but it seems like there's only one "spot" near my house, and it's got so many zombies I just get flattened if I try and attack it. Since I'm on wifi, the GPS just gets the same spot no matter what, so I can't escape an invasion and I just die. Maybe it sucks less if you can snipe and run, I don't know. How far do you have to move to escape being surrounded?

I think each address is a discrete location so as long as it registers you as being at a different address then you've escaped. I haven't tested that out much since I'm mostly fighting from a stationary position at this point, but based on the targeting system that seems right.

If there really is such a huge horde at your location (I'm assuming a 100+ stack on your address?), then buy grenades. They're pretty cheap and kill 25% of the zombies on your address and each zombie killed is 5 credits. So, one or 2 'nades and you'd get back all your credits and thin out your spot by a significant amount. Take a few tries coming back as a hunter and you'll be able to clear the spot and train a sentry fairly soon. Not sure how much fun it'd be overall if you don't bring you ipad and connect to the wifi when you go out to restaurants and other areas, though.

trinary
Jul 21, 2003

College Slice
A note on CoH: I played up to the first boss in the first campaign (the one with flaming walls) and had some trouble beating it, lost the fight twice. I saved, exited the game, and came back to it a few hours later. When I loaded up the save, the cutscene/dialog following the fight started immediately. I definitely didn't beat the encounter, and think I didn't get any XP for it, though I did get the reward in the chest at the scene.

Has this happened to anyone else, should I just keep going, could I have missed out on scripted rewards or something?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Is there somewhere to grind in COH? Cause I'm getting my rear end handed to me and the boss is 1 level above me.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

So Beastie Bay is partially a town builder (like Dungeon village) but instead of uncontrolled NPCs running around it's a monster catch/raise/fight game like pokemon and you actually get to play (and explore a world?) instead of watch the AI play and fight stuff?

The exploration is done via progress meter, exactly like you see in Dungeon Village story. Once a battle starts, though, you actually control it like a turn-based RPG. Its closer to DQM than Pokemon, in all honesty, but either way it's pretty cool.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Good Citizen posted:

I think each address is a discrete location so as long as it registers you as being at a different address then you've escaped. I haven't tested that out much since I'm mostly fighting from a stationary position at this point, but based on the targeting system that seems right.

If there really is such a huge horde at your location (I'm assuming a 100+ stack on your address?), then buy grenades. They're pretty cheap and kill 25% of the zombies on your address and each zombie killed is 5 credits. So, one or 2 'nades and you'd get back all your credits and thin out your spot by a significant amount. Take a few tries coming back as a hunter and you'll be able to clear the spot and train a sentry fairly soon. Not sure how much fun it'd be overall if you don't bring you ipad and connect to the wifi when you go out to restaurants and other areas, though.

They're permanently lurking or whatever so I can't see how many it is. But now I can apparently snipe the ones across the street with a rifle without drawing aggro so I'm just collecting my free 5 credits every 20 seconds while I watch tv.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Keystoned posted:

So a few days back everyone was posting about being super excited about Clash of Heroes and I decided to grab it. Funny thing, when I searched for it the closest match I could find was Clash of Clans. After checking out the screens / descriptions I decided that it was probably the game everyone was talking about and grabbed it and started playing.

After about 5 minutes I thought to myself "really, this is game that SA loves? It seems like a cool idea but goddamn I'm still in the tutorial and the IAP is just being shoved down my loving throat."

I lasted a few more days before realizing that Clash of Heroes just wasn't out yet, and the game I was playing really was a piece of poo poo. It's a shame cuz I think the idea behind Clash of Clans is pretty cool and really appeals to me but goddamn, it's the worst IAP whorish game I've ever played.

It's Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes. It's been out for a week in most areas, though YMMV.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
Zombie Block Party sounds really interesting but it's not out in the UK app store. I'm guessing that even with account fuckery if I manage to download it, no one else will have it and so it won't be worth playing?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I think if no players are near you it throws some bots on the map nearby so you're not hosed. I doubt my two neighbors six miles from the nearest town just happen to have it, but there's a zombie hive right next to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

busfahrer posted:

Holy hell, do you have any idea how long I've tried to get the Netflix app in my country? I just tried this and it works.

Thanks, may your fridge never be empty!

The Netflix app checks your IP at startup and will not work unless you also use an american VPN service

• Locked thread